Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

I actually don’t think it is necessarily a good sign or a sign of progress that this is “their best performance under Potter”

This team has a history of players taking matters into their own hands and competing when necessary. It could very well be another sign that they were prepared to give it a go tonight but they don’t fancy him and aren’t buying into it in the league.

If they don’t go through, I fully expect him to be gone very quickly thereafter.

All fair - but putting aside comparisons to Tuchel specifically, Potter has driven us into a nosedive:

Maybe I'm being hasty but I've just seen enough. We've won 3 of our last 15 matches. The upside isn't there for me because I frankly cannot envision a scenario where Graham Potter is one of the best coaches in the world. If this were a case where the long-term prospects were worth the short-term pain then by all means - but which of our players have actually improved under Potter? What are the actual positive signs in terms of player development, or squad management, or tactics? I understand that circumstances have been challenging, but genuinely I cannot find a compelling argument to keep him outside of "the owners like him" or "he's a congenial person" or "he develops young players" (side note - which Swansea / Brighton players under Potter went on to bigger and better things?) or "eh, Chelsea played ok despite a bad result". I'm perfectly fine with being patient with someone as long as the reasoning and approach are logical and sensible - but with GP I just don't see it.

I don’t know about one of the best coaches in the world but he’s a very talented coach, he’s proven that wherever he’s been. Granted the Chelsea job is a different kettle of fish all together so just being an excellent coach typically isn’t enough but yeah we’re probably gonna have to agree to disagree for now. I simply cannot justify sacking him without at least giving the rest of this season and the first few months of next season, at which point he’ll have had a full preseason and the squad would have been fine tuned even more for him. I’m seeing signs of things to come, the first half vs West Ham and the performance tonight. We’re starting to create chances at a decent clip. Looking forward to the next game.

Dortmund are a very good side, not like they were playing a mediocre outfit tonight and Chelsea played reasonably. The problem is you can't keep not getting results. Or maybe you can? I think we still tend to look at Chelsea through the lens of the Abramovich era and that particular culture. Boehly has already shown he's a bit of a maverick so who knows what his ideas are. His patience will wear thin but perhaps no way near as soon as expected.

There is a quiet confidence and charisma around most top coaches and you just don’t see it with Potter. I think he is uninspiring and players that are used to change won’t care enough to fight for him.

I actually don’t think it is necessarily a good sign or a sign of progress that this is “their best performance under Potter”

This team has a history of players taking matters into their own hands and competing when necessary. It could very well be another sign that they were prepared to give it a go tonight but they don’t fancy him and aren’t buying into it in the league.

If they don’t go through, I fully expect him to be gone very quickly thereafter.
Agree.

It's CL football. Players can get some extra motivation. They went in at 0-0, and even after being down 0-1, they're only one goal from being back.

Getting back in good position in the league requires much more. From them doing well, to other teams dropping points across multiple gameweeks.

Around our CL tie last season under RR, our team looks like they left the infighting stuffs aside and got into some form too. Once eliminated from CL, it's a nobody's responsibility anymore situation.

Did he personnaly sign anyone ? He must be the most replaceable manager in the league. Can't see him being there past summer if they don't go on a serious run in the league.

This is just needless speculation to be honest. It’s literally a brand new team almost. Half of the team that played tonight weren’t at Chelsea last season, some of them weren’t at Chelsea last month.

Did he personnaly sign anyone ? He must be the most replaceable manager in the league. Can't see him being there past summer if they don't go on a serious run in the league.
I swear it only seems to be us where managers not having total control of a transfer window is seen as a negative.

To pluck one example Klopp wanted Brandt and got overruled and given Salah yet I never once heard about what an outrageous thing that was to do to a manager, even before hindsight proved that decision completely correct.

All fair - but putting aside comparisons to Tuchel specifically, Potter has driven us into a nosedive:

Maybe I'm being hasty but I've just seen enough. We've won 3 of our last 15 matches. The upside isn't there for me because I frankly cannot envision a scenario where Graham Potter is one of the best coaches in the world. If this were a case where the long-term prospects were worth the short-term pain then by all means - but which of our players have actually improved under Potter? What are the actual positive signs in terms of player development, or squad management, or tactics? I understand that circumstances have been challenging, but genuinely I cannot find a compelling argument to keep him outside of "the owners like him" or "he's a congenial person" or "he develops young players" (side note - which Swansea / Brighton players under Potter went on to bigger and better things?) or "eh, Chelsea played ok despite a bad result". I'm perfectly fine with being patient with someone as long as the reasoning and approach are logical and sensible - but with GP I just don't see it.

While ofcourse those metrics don't paint a pretty picture wasn't that from during the WC break with normal service pretty much resumed (in terms of us "winning" most games on XG) since we have returned?

Chelsea look to be on the cusp of "clicking". Wouldn't be surprised if they start rolling over most teams in the league soon. Hope I'm wrong.

I swear it only seems to be us where managers not having total control of a transfer window is seen as a negative.

To pluck one example Klopp wanted Brandt and got overruled and given Salah yet I never once heard about what an outrageous thing that was to do to a manager, even before hindsight proved that decision completely correct.
There's a slight difference between total control and the truckfull of random players he's been given. It's not about them, it's the fact that if he has no control over who gets in he can be replaced by anyone at any time.

This is just needless speculation to be honest. It’s literally a brand new team almost. Half of the team that played tonight weren’t at Chelsea last season, some of them weren’t at Chelsea last month.

It’s ‘needless’ speculation backed up by the fact that a lot of talented individuals have won 3 in the last 15 games. It’s a brand new team with players worth an awful lot of money. That’s just more pressure.

It’s surely not hard to believe that they aren’t inspired by Potter? The results have been extremely poor, and there is no escaping that fact. Any speculation as to why is fair game on a football forum.

My unbiased opinion says needs more time. Chelsea was the better team today but they lost. It happens. I take nothing from today's match. More performances like today and the results will come for Chelsea. My biased opinion says f**k Chelsea and f**k Potter...

My unbiased opinion says needs more time. Chelsea was the better team today but they lost. It happens. I take nothing from today's match. More performances like today and the results will come for Chelsea. My biased opinion says f**k Chelsea and f**k Potter...
You’re describing Brighton under Potter. They used to dominate games and get about 2 shots on target.

You’re describing Brighton under Potter. They used to dominate games and get about 2 shots on target.

Yep. Playing Mason Mount is not going to improve your end product but it is a very Potter thing to do while having exciting wingers on the bench.

He’s cut from the same cloth as Ole. Too nice to be elite. Looks lost half the time. Would love him to stay as long as possible.
It's not being nice or not having an edge that's the problem, it's that he has zero experience at this level with these expectations. Brighton we just expected to stay in the league and it was a bonus they played good football, there's only pressure at Brighton when you lose 3 games in a row, at teams like Chelsea you're expected to win every game and the players know that but does he? Is he able to instil a belief in his players that they can win every game with him in charge? I don't see it. He's also started doing random shit tactically, which should be a massive concern to all.

It's not being nice or not having an edge that's the problem, it's that he has zero experience at this level with these expectations. Brighton we just expected to stay in the league and it was a bonus they played good football, there's only pressure at Brighton when you lose 3 games in a row, at teams like Chelsea you're expected to win every game and the players know that but does he? Is he able to instil a belief in his players that they can win every game with him in charge? I don't see it. He's also started doing random shit tactically, which should be a massive concern to all.
Chelsea are doing what Brighton did under Potter. Play nice football and have lots of chances but just don’t take them.

Yep. Playing Mason Mount is not going to improve your end product but it is a very Potter thing to do while having exciting wingers on the bench.

Who were these exciting wingers on the bench last night? Mudryk, Felix and Ziyech all started and it was Mount who came on from the bench to replace one of them in the 70th minute mark due to not even having any other fecking wingers on the bench to begin with. Sterling and Pulisic are injured and Madueke wasn't registered for the CL.

Mount was on the bench against West Ham last weekend too. Before that he started the previous few games when Felix was out suspended.

While ofcourse those metrics don't paint a pretty picture wasn't that from during the WC break with normal service pretty much resumed (in terms of us "winning" most games on XG) since we have returned?

This chart was published earlier this week, so I believe it includes the West Ham game (which we lost on xG pretty handily).

Chelsea looked decent, you can clearly see what Potter wants to do. They’ll be more than fine.
A lot of people will look very foolish soon, just like with Arteta.

He’s cut from the same cloth as Ole. Too nice to be elite. Looks lost half the time. Would love him to stay as long as possible.

Ole was world class compared to Potter attempt at managing a big club :lol:

Is that true? I’ve never heard of that

Chelsea looked decent, you can clearly see what Potter wants to do. They’ll be more than fine.
A lot of people will look very foolish soon, just like with Arteta.
Strong disagree. And Arteta is a passion merchant, will end up in 3rd.

Teams are always capable of playing a brilliant football match or two no matter whom the manager is. We ourselves had that 3 or 4 game winning run under van Gaal where we beat Spurs, City and the dippers all in a row. Everyone thought the supposedly philosophy had finally clicked but all went to bits in the next match and we couldn’t replicate those performances anymore

Chelsea will one day beat someone 4-0 twice but whether Potter can maintain the performances and results is still a very big question mark

Teams are always capable of playing a brilliant football match or two no matter whom the manager is. We ourselves had that 3 or 4 game winning run under van Gaal where we beat Spurs, City and the dippers all in a row. Everyone thought the supposedly philosophy had finally clicked but all went to bits in the next match and we couldn’t replicate those performances anymore

Chelsea will one day beat someone 4-0 twice but whether Potter can maintain the performances and results is still a very big question mark

I think they will be fine so long as they get at least one player scoring consistently. That is a major issue. Felix missed some great chances yesterday, which should have won them the game. They messed up some great chances when they were on top against West Ham, also.

To be honest, we wouldn't be much better off if we didn't have Rashford. Doesn't matter how well you play if you don't have a reliable goal scorer.

Chelsea look to be on the cusp of "clicking". Wouldn't be surprised if they start rolling over most teams in the league soon. Hope I'm wrong.
Came on here to say the same thing. The current run of results must be tough if you follow Chelsea, but for me they look like a clinical forward away from been very good. They will finish the season strongly and I think they may be the team to beat next season - especially if City get hit with sanctions or Pep leaves.

I think they will be fine so long as they get at least one player scoring consistently. That is a major issue. Felix missed some great chances yesterday, which should have won them the game. They messed up some great chances when they were on top against West Ham, also.

Yeah we definitely still need a player who can score goals on a regular basis. This issue will have to be addressed in the summer, whether it's by getting Felix on a permanent and planning for Nkunku to be the goalscorer in the position Havertz currently plays, or by having Nkunku play the 'Felix role' and getting a striker to play up front instead. Right now, given how good Felix has looked, I'd be tempted to try the former if a deal for Felix can be done but a lot can still change between now and the end of the season and we'll also need to see if Felix can keep up this form beacuse he wasn't exactly known as a consistent performer at Atletico, though that may have something to do with their negative playing style as well.

The lack of a goalscoring player was already a well known fact that pre-dates Potter even coming in. Lots of people like to mock the club for having spent so much money and still neglecting to bring in a goalscorer but for me personally the priority was sorting out every other area first and then bring in a goalscorer to a team that's already capable of controlling games and creating chances on the regular.

Now it's just up to Potter to get the team to play consistently well and creating goalscoring chances over an extended period of games. If he can manage that, there will be lots to be optimistic about going into next season even if it's still clear we're in big need of a goalscorer. The last couple of games have shown some promise, even if against West Ham the level of play dipped in the second half, but right now it's still just a couple of games and we'll need to see more. For a while I've been saying I want to see what Potter can do once he has the January signings playing and key players returning from injury and now we're nearly there with only Kante still missing. The next couple of months will be crucial for Potter.

Yes I thought it was great performance. We missed so many easy chances.
So many easy chances? I didn't see the game, I just checked the xG of the encounter, which has you in front at 2.05 against 1.28 for Dortmund - so while you seemingly had more chances on goal, just above 2 doesn't really seem to indicate "so many easy chances", I'm a bit surprised.
Looks like Dua Lipa to me
:lol:

So many easy chances? I didn't see the game, I just checked the xG of the encounter, which has you in front at 2.05 against 1.28 for Dortmund - so while you seemingly had more chances on goal, just above 2 doesn't really seem to indicate "so many easy chances", I'm a bit surprised.

We had plenty of great chances.

- In the first half Felix had two great chances from near the penalty spot, one of which hit the bar and the other one went narrowly over.

- Second half Havertz had a free header from a corner from the 6 yard line, which incidentally resulted in Dortmund's goal from a quick counter attack.

- Koulibaly had a shot inside the box that was millimeters away from being a goal and was cleared off the line by Emre Can.

- James and Enzo had a few shots from the edge of the box destined for the top bin but the Dortmund keeper pulled some great saves to stop them from going in.

The Koulibaly/Enzo/James shots probably weren't too high as far as xG is concerned but seeing how close they actually were I would consider them really good chances. Not easy ones mind you, but very good chances either way. The Felix and Havertz opportunities were baffling misses and should have resulted in at least one goal being scored.

Perhaps I exaggerated just a tad there but there were at least 3 gilt edged chances plus a couple of more where their keeper pulled off fantastic saves. It was a performance I found to be encouraging and hopeful that it’s a sign of things to come.

This chart was published earlier this week, so I believe it includes the West Ham game (which we lost on xG pretty handily).
Fair enough on West Ham but I was fairly sure we have aside from that started dominating or atleast 'winning' on the advanced metrics again ever since the Fulham away game and beyond.

I've been travelling most of this period so haven't really been giving it the attention I usually do so happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.