Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Didn't play badly but another loss and the struggle to get results is going to finish him

Lost 1-0. Results do matter.
At what point does he have to win games?
How much more non wins would Chelsea have if they had me in charge? You’d think he could fluke the odd one but he isn’t even doing that

Chelsea probably need to give him time. He might come good just like Arteta. Just that potter seems to be a decent guy unlike Arteta.

What? We were fantastic tonight. Very good. Best performance under Potter so far.

Yes - but then he does things like leaving Enzo back as the last man against one of the fastest players in the world. If Ziyech is in the team, why in god's name is Chilwell taking corners? Chilwell's delivery is obviously great but it comes with the compromise of our structure - literally one of the only things you have Ziyech in the team to do is to cross the ball. Under Tuchel Chilwell regularly took right sided corners because the right forward was Mount - with Ziyech as an option it makes no fecking sense whatsoever to not leave a fullback deep?

Not necessarily directed at you mate but I feel like so much of the defense of Potter is "he needs time to adapt" but then he does things that are very obviously idiotic to me - maybe I'm too stupid but I just don't understand why the standards have dropped so much to where we are clutching at straws in a CL tie where yes we had chances but Dortmund also had 14 shots.

7bbf1s.jpg

Yes - but then he does things like leaving Enzo back as the last man against one of the fastest players in the world. If Ziyech is in the team, why in god's name is Chilwell taking corners? Chilwell's delivery is obviously great but it comes with the compromise of our structure - literally one of the only things you have Ziyech in the team to do is to cross the ball. Under Tuchel Chilwell regularly took right sided corners because the right forward was Mount - with Ziyech as an option it makes no fecking sense whatsoever to not leave a fullback deep?

Not necessarily directed at you mate but I feel like so much of the defense of Potter is "he needs time to adapt" but then he does things that are very obviously idiotic to me - maybe I'm too stupid but I just don't understand why the standards have dropped so much to where we are clutching at straws in a CL tie where yes we had chances but Dortmund also had 14 shots.

It’s not just the fact that he’s a new manager and giving him time is just the fair thing to do, but he’s also had to incorporate 57 new players and had like a 100 injuries to deal with. Might sound like excuses to Chelsea fans who want Potter out but to me they’re legit reasons to be more patient with the situation. Chelsea played really, really well tonight. In game mistakes happen but this was by far the most encouraging game under Potter and we created a shitload of chances and we should have won this really comfortably. I choose to look at that. For me the context around this season means I’m more patient than I otherwise would have been.

Last edited:
Come on, fantastic? You lost 1-0 to a poor Dortmund side (14 shots at your goal) who let you have the ball for the last half an hour.

Yes I thought it was great performance. We missed so many easy chances.

I actually thought Chelsea were unfortunate today. Played a lot better than they did in their previous few games.

Come on, fantastic? You lost 1-0 to a poor Dortmund side (14 shots at your goal) who let you have the ball for the last half an hour.
They're 3 pts off being joint first in Bundasliga, I don't think they're poor. Also don't think it's a disgrace for them to control 30 minutes of a game at home. Chelsea dominated in large phases themselves and created the better chances.

Has the be said though. They could become frightening if (when) they sign a proper 9. Havertz is a charlatan.

Chelsea probably need to give him time. He might come good just like Arteta. Just that potter seems to be a decent guy unlike Arteta.
This kind of argument is unreasonable. There is no Pep II, no SAF II, no Klopp II... They're all different, as well as their teams.

Arteta failed 2 seasons. As former player he got a lot of backing from his friend in the board. I don't think Potter having that. This season after doing very well, Arsenal may end up not winning the league. What if this season is a one season wonder for him, and he may not be able to replicate this season title challenge?

I am all for Potter to stay at Chelsea and continue not getting result.

It’s just not the fact that he’s a new manager and giving him time is just the fair thing to do, but he’s also had to incorporate 57 news players and had like a 100 injuries to deal with. Might sound like excuses to Chelsea fans who want Potter out but to me they’re legit reasons to be more patient with the situation. Chelsea really, really well tonight. In game mistakes happen but this was by far the most encouraging game under Potter and we created a shitload of chances and we should have this really comfortably. I choose to look at that. For me the context around this season means I’m more patient than I otherwise would have been.

I suppose I'm just taking the long view - genuinely curious whether you think Potter will ever be a world class coach at the absolute pinnacle of the game? I frankly don't see it so I'd rather just cut bait.

I also find it extremely distasteful that Tuchel wasn't afforded this type of understanding (not from you, mind) - and he is someone who is proven to be a top tier coach with a better track record of youth development. He is still available and has the best connection with our fans since Mourinho mark 1.

Let's do a thought experiment - starting with no context from tomorrow, would you rather this team be managed by Potter or Tuchel? For me the answer is very very obviously the latter - and if you feel similarly then we should just hire him back and avoid the sunk cost fallacy.

They're 3 pts off being joint first in Bundasliga, I don't think they're poor. Also don't think it's a disgrace for them to control 30 minutes of a game at home. Chelsea dominated in large phases themselves and created the better chances.

Dortmund came into the game on a 7 game winning streak, now extended to 8 games. One of the most in form teams in Europe.

They didn't seem that bad today, but I could understand if Chelsea fans wanted him sacked immediately based on having to see Cookie and Mountie limbering up in the 70th minute when you're chasing the game. :lol:

Has the be said though. They could become frightening if (when) they sign a proper 9. Havertz is a charlatan.
But (as we've brutally found out two years on the spin) sticking a number 9 in a system that creates loads of chances rarely has the desired effect.

What tends to happen is you go from hoping multiple players between them can take 1 of multiple chances to hoping said 9 can take one of the few. All well and good if he is but if he isn't...

Tbf Bundesliga is as bad as it's been in a long time this year.

Anyways thought Chelsea looked decent, but it's ironic that their most dangerous player is the one they didn't actually buy amid their ludicrous spending spree :lol:

I suppose I'm just taking the long view - genuinely curious whether you think Potter will ever be a world class coach at the absolute pinnacle of the game? I frankly don't see it so I'd rather just cut bait.

I also find it extremely distasteful that Tuchel wasn't afforded this type of understanding (not from you, mind) - and he is someone who is proven to be a top tier coach with a better track record of youth development. He is still available and has the best connection with our fans since Mourinho mark 1.

Let's do a thought experiment - starting with no context from tomorrow, would you rather this team be managed by Potter or Tuchel? For me the answer is very very obviously the latter - and if you feel similarly then we should just hire him back and avoid the sunk cost fallacy.

I would rather Tuchel still be the manager but that’s clearly not going to happen so it’s a rather futile exercise. I rate Potter though. I think he’s an excellent coach that could potentially be a great manager and we’re here now with him as our manager, whom we hired mid season. Tuchel is irrelevant now. I don’t think it’s fair to hammer down on Potter because you’re still hung up on Tuchel, and I mean that with the greatest of respect :D

Tbf Bundesliga is as bad as it's been in a long time this year.

Anyways thought Chelsea looked decent, but it's ironic that their most dangerous player is the one they didn't actually buy amid their ludicrous spending spree :lol:
I can't argue with that :lol:

Some of the excuses being made are becoming comical :lol:

I would rather Tuchel still be the manager but that’s clearly not going to happen so it’s a rather futile exercise. I rate Potter though. I think he’s an excellent coach that could potentially be a great manager and we’re here now with him as our manager, whom we hired mid season. Tuchel is irrelevant now. I don’t think it’s fair to hammer down on Potter because you’re still hung up on Tuchel, and I mean that with the greatest of respect :D

Oh I am guilty as charged mate - I've been pining over Tuchel since he was at Mainz. To have had him (and for it to have been better than I ever could have hoped for) and then lost him for the stupidest of reasons has been driving me insane for months.

But I guess we just have to agree to disagree over Potter's ceiling - I just don't ever envision him as being a top class coach. I'd take Luis Enrique in a fecking heartbeat this summer.

This kind of argument is unreasonable. There is no Pep II, no SAF II, no Klopp II... They're all different, as well as their teams.

Arteta failed 2 seasons. As former player he got a lot of backing from his friend in the board. I don't think Potter having that. This season after doing very well, Arsenal may end up not winning the league. What if this season is a one season wonder for him, and he may not be able to replicate this season title challenge?

I am all for Potter to stay at Chelsea and continue not getting result.

Yeah, makes sense what you wrote. Either way, just need United to come good again. Rest all can fall by the wayside including potter who made ten hag lose his first premier league game :D

Can't score to save our lives. Played quite well today generally.

Bring Auba back in? We've got Fofana for the league as well. Anyone who can put the ball in the net?

Chelsea looked good tonight but it’s genuinely difficult to know what to make of attacking performances against German teams. They are the opposite of Spanish teams in Europe. With most Spanish teams games are cagey with loads of fouls while with German teams majority of games are very open

Result wasn't great but other than that I actually liked what I saw from us today.

Games like this definitely give me hope Potter will still come good once the new players get fully settled and up front we eventually manage to replace Havertz with just about anyone who's not totally fecking useless.

The return leg against Dortmund should be a great match, can't wait.

Oh I am guilty as charged mate - I've been pining over Tuchel since he was at Mainz. To have had him (and for it to have been better than I ever could have hoped for) and then lost him for the stupidest of reasons has been driving me insane for months.

But I guess we just have to agree to disagree over Potter's ceiling - I just don't ever envision him as being a top class coach. I'd take Luis Enrique in a fecking heartbeat this summer.

I hear you. I’d 100% have preferred to keep Tuchel but his sacking isn’t Potter’s fault, just like Lampard’s sacking wasn’t Tuchel’s fault. I remember arguing with Chelsea fans 2 years ago when people were refusing to give Tuchel a chance because they were so hung up on Lampard and the ‘unfairness’ of his sacking.

I think we need to at least give Potter the time to show something. Perhaps it’s because we’ve been indoctrinated into the Abramovich way but I find Chelsea fans’ in general (not you specifically) solution to everything is buy and sell, sack and hire. Obviously if we’re having this same conversation in October/November, then yeah it’s a totally different conversation but enduring short term pain for potential long term gain is something I’m willing to buy into for now.

Chelsea are doomed with this guy in charge.

Their board shot themselves in the foot anyway, spending ton of money and buying ton of players that have no synergy with each other whatsoever, and on top of that have this nobody managing all these random big names out of all possible coaches.

They have no clue what they are doing and what they want to plan for. Just throwing random bullshit and hoping it might work.

They are doomed. Things will get worse not better.

I hear you. I’d 100% have preferred to keep Tuchel but his sacking isn’t Potter’s fault, just like Lampard’s sacking wasn’t Tuchel’s fault. I remember arguing with Chelsea fans 2 years ago when people were refusing to give Tuchel a chance because they were so hung up on Lampard and the ‘unfairness’ of his sacking.

I think we need to at least give Potter the time to show something. Perhaps it’s because we’ve been indoctrinated into the Abramovich way but I find Chelsea fans’ in general (not you specifically) solution to everything is buy and sell, sack and hire. Obviously if we’re having this same conversation in October/November, then yeah it’s a totally different conversation but enduring short term pain for potential long term gain is something I’m willing to buy into for now.

All fair - but putting aside comparisons to Tuchel specifically, Potter has driven us into a nosedive:

Maybe I'm being hasty but I've just seen enough. We've won 3 of our last 15 matches. The upside isn't there for me because I frankly cannot envision a scenario where Graham Potter is one of the best coaches in the world. If this were a case where the long-term prospects were worth the short-term pain then by all means - but which of our players have actually improved under Potter? What are the actual positive signs in terms of player development, or squad management, or tactics? I understand that circumstances have been challenging, but genuinely I cannot find a compelling argument to keep him outside of "the owners like him" or "he's a congenial person" or "he develops young players" (side note - which Swansea / Brighton players under Potter went on to bigger and better things?) or "eh, Chelsea played ok despite a bad result". I'm perfectly fine with being patient with someone as long as the reasoning and approach are logical and sensible - but with GP I just don't see it.

He’s cut from the same cloth as Ole. Too nice to be elite. Looks lost half the time. Would love him to stay as long as possible.