Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Again, super harsh. This has been his character all the time. He’s always been this even keeled guy in front of the cameras. If you want him to flip out at these things, you’ll always be disappointed. He said nothing wrong there.

I mean given we have had to hire a consultant to help instill a winning mentality I really don't think milquetoast responses like this are helpful.

Chelsea in 2012 was the biggest fluke you will ever see.

Chelsea in 2021 were good and deserving winners I think.

I think so too - they beat City three times in a row, in the League, Cup and CL final 1-0, so you could hardly say it was a fluke.

En route to the final, they convincingly dispatched Madrid, Porto and Atletico

I mean given we have had to hire a consultant to help instill a winning mentality I really don't think milquetoast responses like this are helpful.

Not gonna lie, feels like you’re overanalysing things a little too much.

I think so too - they beat City three times in a row, in the League, Cup and CL final 1-0, so you could hardly say it was a fluke.

En route to the final, they convincingly dispatched Madrid, Porto and Atletico

Fluke is probably not the best way to describe it, since it implies "luck." But it was definitely out of step with their performance in the CL over a period of years.

Remember when some lots here were recommending him for the Manutd Job?

You're probably right! I'm definitely as annoyed as I have been all season.

I just don't think Potter is the guy and nothing I've seen has changed my view.

I hear you, I just think there used to be a time when giving a manager at least a season was a standard thing you didn’t even have to think about. Now we’re micro analysing body language and post match interviews every single week, and worse still comparing him to prime Mourinho as if he’d ever stack up favourably in a comparison like that.

Tuchel is an elite tactician, but where he falls a bit short is the politics side of things - managing up so to speak.

I think he did an amazing job at Chelsea - CL, finals to every cup competitions narrowly losing on penalties 2 of them, and was the single point of reference during the very tough sanctions that Chelsea got hit with after the invasion of Ukraine. He got zero help from the club and was fielding non-footballing questions week in -- week out. Then he got fired by cowboy Todd because he didn't see eye to eye with the new owners (which I hardly blame him for).

Yep very true. Though Tuchel was openly very happy about not having to be involved in anything transfer & backroom related when he first came to Chelsea - he's used to the German model where he just focuses on coaching and that worked brilliantly at first.

Sacking him for being disdainful of the transfer process when it wasn't what he was hired for was ludicrous. I still think it's the second dumbest thing Chelsea have done in the last 25 years - only behind selling KdB because Mourinho made his mind up after one half of an FA Cup game.

I hear you, I just think there used to be a time when giving a manager at least a season was a standard thing you didn’t even have to think about. Now we’re micro analysing body language and post match interviews every single week, and worse still comparing him to prime Mourinho as if he’d ever stack up favourably in a comparison like that.

Very fair points! I just can't help but compare him to his predecessor, who's sacking I'm still very much hung up on.

Never hire a British manager. The media will always back him, no matter how crap he is.

How he's not sacked yet is beyond me. The guy is shit, what are they waiting for ?

They need a continental manager who can at least speak more than one language and handle the egos. That and not being shit.

This thread reads a lot like the early pages in the Arteta thread.

Arteta didn't half as good of a squad in Arsenal as this fraud currently has in Chelsea.

I mean calling him a fraud is a bit much but I guess to each his own. I’d rather not engage in that level of discourse.

I mean calling him a fraud is a bit much but I guess to each his own. I’d rather not engage in that level of discourse.
This is the Caf, did you expect anything else other than kneejerk hyperbole? :lol:

I know, I know. Should know better.
Maybe he was referring to his new hair cut and designer beard when he got the Chelsea job instead of his usual scruffy Brighton cut. It didn’t work out

Glad you're keeping the faith though.

I didn't realise his record was worse than I thought. After winning the first 3 league games he's won 2 out of 13 against Bournemouth and Palace. 15% success rate. At least you've got Southampton next.

Yeah it’s not a great record. On other hand, we’ve shored up the defence, and we looked great in the first half, a sign of what’s to come when the team gels and develops better understanding.

I still think he should at least get the season. Calling him a fraud is embarrassing over the top nonsense. He seems out of his depth right now, but that’s not really a surprise. The step up has been steep and messy.

I still think he should at least get the season. Calling him a fraud is embarrassing over the top nonsense. He seems out of his depth right now, but that’s not really a surprise. The step up has been steep and messy.
There’s been plenty of embarrassing takes all season to be honest. The same people will then claim such things like “he didn’t get enough time” and “Chelsea unfairly firing another manager” whenever he does leave. They’re just mindless sheep without opinions of their own.

I personally think he will come good. A lot of of things are going on in the background that aren’t necessarily making it easy to have a consistent run of form. It’s very simplistic to say “all that money spent and no return”, it’s one of the hardest jobs in football right now and I sympathize with him. Fact is certain players are letting the team down each week but we haven’t been in a position to drop them and play other players. Given the club have hired a former Rugby coach my guess is they believe it’s mental blocks more than technical at this point.

He may have potential, the ability to learn. But right now the pressure, the situation is not ideal for him to take this step up. Don't see Boehly as the patient type, or someone who understand football with scattergun approach in transfer window.

Don't see Potter would be given another season, if the result doesn't improve drastically.

How he's not sacked yet is beyond me. The guy is shit, what are they waiting for ?
Perhaps, the higher up write off this season like us last season. The next permanent managers may not be available now, or they don't want to take over this mess right now.

So Potter is tasked with sinking with this ship. Anything positive is bonus.

Of course, all guesses. No idea what Boehly really thinks because their transfer, and the sacking of Tuchel made zero sense.

Some managers are cut out for these huge clubs, and some aren’t.. he reminds me of Moyes a bit.. a good manager when he’s constantly managing the underdog, but being expected to win is just not his game, he looks like he’s waiting for it to end so he can go back to managing Aston Villa or something and he can finally be happy again

He lacks the fire to be a top class manager. Brighton are a well oiled machine who probably made him look more capable than he is. That they're doing just fine without him says it all.

He lacks the fire to be a top class manager. Brighton are a well oiled machine who probably made him look more capable than he is. That they're doing just fine without him says it all.

You make it seem like Brighton were this good when Potter took the job? They were a boring Chris Hughton team battling relegation. He helped make them into the highflying team they are today.

You make it seem like Brighton were this good when Potter took the job? They were a boring Chris Hughton team battling relegation. He helped make them into the highflying team they are today.

They weren't this good during his first two seasons at the club. Maybe it's because he was given time, maybe it's because their recruitment strategy of signing young, hungry players from abroad with a point to prove has paid off handsomely. What is clear is that
Chelsea have been really poor since he joined whereas Brighton are flying high without him.

Of course, all guesses. No idea what Boehly really thinks because their transfer, and the sacking of Tuchel made zero sense.
Right so the one scatter gun window that didn’t make sense to many people (the summer)… in which Tuchel was heavily involved with targeting players… and having a whole year of bad form.. His sacking made zero sense. But to fire Potter for less makes sense? Ok.

Potter seems like a bloke who if he caught his missus in bed with another fella he'd go downstairs and cook them breakfast.

It’s clear the Brighton success wasn’t all down to him. That becomes clearer with each passing week. The environment and recruitment helped massively. I’ve said it before but the reason English managers don’t do well in these jobs is because they don’t have the language skills. It matters.