• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, ultimately you are right. People will always complain if they have to pay more.
No idea who said this, but it's a great quote:
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"

As far as I'm aware, International students don't pay more for fees in British private schools compared to British citizens? I've been on a couple of the websites and it doesn't seem to mention any of that at all?

I specifically only mentioned day schools with regards to fees because I'm sure even you would agree that £40k fees are not within the grasp of most working UK parents, regardless of how much they try to cut back. However, fine, let's take literally the most expensive school in the UK . Seemingly this is concorde college, at £18,000 per term for full boarding.

9 students paying 4k a term. 1 student paying 18k a term (even though again this is a boarding pupil but whatever, let's run with it). This gives a median of £4k per term or a mean of.....£5.4k per term.

This is still not hitting the £7k per term for day school fees, let alone the £12k per term average of boarding.

Families who are sending 3 kids to a 4k/term private school, even with a 25% 3rd child discount, are paying £21,000 per year on their kids education alone. And this is at a school that doesn't come near the average day school fees. Your take home pay in a median household income in the UK, from a gross of £45k (which @Buster15 tells me is actually higher than it really is), is around £36k. Assuming you're contributing nothing to your pension. If you genuinely think a lot of the parents are not well off, you either have a very distorted view of what well off means, or those people are not being completely upfront with you about their finances.

I'm not sure we do agree because a class war would be something to affect the upper classes, which this policy does not (as they can continue to pay the school fees comfortably regardless).

So again, nobody is saying all the parents are flying around on helicopters. But the average parent sending their kid to private school is not exactly just getting by, regardless of how much they scrimp.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify by the way that I am really not trying to attack you or your decision to send your kids to private school at all. I know this may be how its coming across, especially online but that isn't my intention. I'm just challenging some of the figures you've put out.

Think the bolded is a typo. Would actually cost 31k at this rate (and a 10% second child discount). Cost would be 12k, 22.8k, 31.8k for 1, 2 and 3 kids.

Where is Rees Mogg?? Wasn't off the screens during all the brexit shenanigans, haven't seen or heard from him on tv or radio since the election was called..
Sitting at home realising he's about to lose his seat to the guy he won it off in 2010.

Wait, are nurseries not free in England?!

Sorry that I'm late to the party and we've probably all moved on but it seems bizarre if they aren't.

Please explain why being charged 20% Vat is shocking.
And why should your children education be subsised by those with children in state schools.

Already covered earlier in the thread but it will raise zero net revenue, may even cost money, will put further strain on the state sector and will further perpetuate inequality in exactly the same way University tuition fee rises have. It's a calculated policy to secure votes from a certain demographic.

Already covered earlier in the thread but it will raise zero net revenue, may even cost money, will put further strain on the state sector and will further perpetuate inequality in exactly the same way University tuition fee rises have. It's a calculated policy to secure votes from a certain demographic.

The IFS disagrees with you, their analysis is a 1.3bn net gain even after factoring in additional spending required on state schools for new pupils.

You get sibling discount and 2 working parents with a 35k job can achieve that yeah.
Show me the maths. That's already nearly double the median household income by the way.
2 x 35k = 70k.

Use tax avoidance methods, live with parents, outgoings will only be about five grand a year per person so that leaves 60k. Plenty to send Tarquin or Spud (name dependant on your social status and if you have a 50" TV with Sky Sports) to Eton.

Obviously most poor folk don't choose to do this and make sacrifices, like only go on one holiday a year or extend the car lease over five years instead of three, so they really shouldn't complain that there's a class divide - if anything they're the ones causing it because they're so out of touch with what normal people have to endure on a daily basis.

All this doesn't seem to be the fruit of any of the estimates I've come across. IFS reckon it'll net 1.6bn. Tories reckon it'll net about 900m. Could you link to the analysis you're using? I guess it's a difference in how many private school pupils transfer to state.

2 x 35k = 70k.

Use tax avoidance methods, live with parents, outgoings will only be about five grand a year per person so that leaves 60k. Plenty to send Tarquin or Spud (name dependant on your social status and if you have a 50" TV with Sky Sports) to Eton.

Obviously most poor folk don't choose to do this and make sacrifices, like only go on one holiday a year or extend the car lease over five years instead of three, so they really shouldn't complain that there's a class divide - if anything they're the ones causing it because they're so out of touch with what normal people have to endure on a daily basis.
This is why we left the EU to be fair.

Watching this on Channel 4. I'm under no illusions of what they are but astounded about how open they are about it.

Foul mouthed bigoted people who are behaving like the imbeciles they are.
These are the type of people Reform had attracted because of Nigel Farage racist beliefs.
Makes me ashamed that we have such people.

It’s deeply depressing how mainstream this type of language has become. When the BNP won a council seat or later when Nick Griffin appeared once on Question Time, it was a genuinely shocking moment. The media fawning over Farage (and subsequently his entryists in the Conservative Party) has normalised racism and given the likes of that Clacton gammon the confidence to say in substance “send ‘em all back”.

Show me the maths. That's already nearly double the median household income by the way.
£35000 a year - assuming no pension contributions or student loan - would work out to about 2.4k per month net. So 4.8k per month if we assume both parents, it gives around 57.5k per year available if there are no living expenses at all.

£57k - £21k for 2 kids at private school = £36k net for everything else in a year, take off £17k for average mortgage that leaves £19k for everything else or about £1600 a month for a family of 4 to live on. People already live on a lot less and we're not even taking into account child benefit, tax breaks etc.

As far as I'm aware, International students don't pay more for fees in British private schools compared to British citizens? I've been on a couple of the websites and it doesn't seem to mention any of that at all?

I specifically only mentioned day schools with regards to fees because I'm sure even you would agree that £40k fees are not within the grasp of most working UK parents, regardless of how much they try to cut back. However, fine, let's take literally the most expensive school in the UK . Seemingly this is concorde college, at £18,000 per term for full boarding.

9 students paying 4k a term. 1 student paying 18k a term (even though again this is a boarding pupil but whatever, let's run with it). This gives a median of £4k per term or a mean of.....£5.4k per term.

This is still not hitting the £7k per term for day school fees, let alone the £12k per term average of boarding.

Families who are sending 3 kids to a 4k/term private school, even with a 25% 3rd child discount, are paying £21,000 per year on their kids education alone. And this is at a school that doesn't come near the average day school fees. Your take home pay in a median household income in the UK, from a gross of £45k (which @Buster15 tells me is actually higher than it really is), is around £36k. Assuming you're contributing nothing to your pension. If you genuinely think a lot of the parents are not well off, you either have a very distorted view of what well off means, or those people are not being completely upfront with you about their finances.

I'm not sure we do agree because a class war would be something to affect the upper classes, which this policy does not (as they can continue to pay the school fees comfortably regardless).

So again, nobody is saying all the parents are flying around on helicopters. But the average parent sending their kid to private school is not exactly just getting by, regardless of how much they scrimp.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify by the way that I am really not trying to attack you or your decision to send your kids to private school at all. I know this may be how its coming across, especially online but that isn't my intention. I'm just challenging some of the figures you've put out.

Its a class war that's affecting the middle and low income earners sacrificing to put their kids through private school. The upper classes will not be affected in any way. Its not going to raise any money and it will cost the government more especially in the long run.

Imagine waking up and deciding to defend the affordability of private schools like it's the last bastion of the free world.

Reality vs perception.

wait, reform are racist!? anyone know if you can update a postal vote that’s already been posted?

Labour got 12.8m in 2017 and 10.2m in 2019. It will be interesting to see what the final vote count is this time. I imagine around 12m from the vote share, on a 70% turnout?
Honestly I have no idea. While all the polls are showing it I still can’t quite believe the low Tory numbers. It’s almost too good to be true. Labour are definitely going to win though.

The funniest outcome would be labour getting into government with a lower vote than 2019.

Wait, are nurseries not free in England?!

Sorry that I'm late to the party and we've probably all moved on but it seems bizarre if they aren't.

My nursery bill last month - full-time Mon to Fri 7:30-17:30 was £1350.

We’re lucky in that my wife is a teacher so we only pay full during term times.

Have you thought about getting a job instead of hanging around all day with toddlers? You should get off your arse and give your wife a hand, pal.

Honestly I have no idea. While all the polls are showing it I still can’t quite believe the low Tory numbers. It’s almost too good to be true. Labour are definitely going to win though.

The funniest outcome would be labour getting into government with a lower vote than 2019.
Could we see a Tory/ Reform coalition?

The funniest outcome is it turns out Starmer, Reeves and Streeting also put bets on and the government falls before the end of July.

The IFS disagrees with you, their analysis is a 1.3bn net gain even after factoring in additional spending required on state schools for new pupils.

Their estimates are based on a best guess on how many kids will choose to transfer, the IFS analysis even highlights their evidence here as limited. They are also falsely assuming the money not spent on private school will generate tax revenue elsewhere. As private schools are private they also don't know how many will fold and force the kids to move into state.

The analysis also fails to account for the 10 year clawbacks private schools will all do for the millions in capital investments they've made. There is potentially billions there.

Then you have a few thousand military kids in expensive boarding schools who will be paid for by the taxpayer one way or another.

The analysis is a year old when nobody thought it would happen. Now it's looking real schools and parents have begun to make contingency plans and the numbers need revising.

Then there's the small fact of legal challenges that will be mounted as NI private schools cannot charge VAT, and you can't be charging different regions of the country different amounts. I suspect that's why it's already been pushed out a year.

It's not really the financial side that pisses me off to be honest. It's the impact it will have on all kids state or privately educated. The truly rich will carry on as normal, everybody else gets screwed.

Last edited:

A prime example of a nursery costing more than a private school.

Given the possibility would you continue paying for that child to go to private school?

Our thinking was just this, we can afford the nursery, we can afford to continue paying for private school...

Could we see a Tory/ Reform coalition?
I think the polls would have to be very wrong for it not to be a labour majority.
The funniest outcome is it turns out Starmer, Reeves and Streeting also put bets on and the government falls before the end of July.
The next labour government will be maybe the most entitled people in politics smashing the austerity button while demanding the public adores them.

I’ve posted about this before - Starmer as Director of Public Prosecutions tried to jail two women in fancy dress for impersonating police officers. Insane levels of authoritarian bitterness. Going to be very funny when it all fails.

There’s a simple solution for Private Schools if they are worried about losing students - reduce their fees a little so parents can continue to afford to pay with the 20% VAT on top.

My understanding of the policy is that this VAT is going towards providing more free or subsidised childcare for nurseries so parents can head back to work, which will boost the economy and help with those struggling with the cost of living. There’s so little that’s negative about the policy.

john%20prescott.jpg

There’s a simple solution for Private Schools if they are worried about losing students - reduce their fees a little so parents can continue to afford to pay with the 20% VAT on top.

My understanding of the policy is that this VAT is going towards providing more free or subsidised childcare for nurseries so parents can head back to work, which will boost the economy and help with those struggling with the cost of living. There’s so little that’s negative about the policy.

But it's already apparently been allocated to funding state schools so one of them is going to miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.