• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious how rattled they are by any claim that counters it as a great Labour victory, add Corbyn and they're stomping at the keyboard red faced.

From people who told us it's all about power nonetheless, Labour have now got power yet they still get triggered :lol:

I actually think the rest of us are enjoying the victory more than that lot because they're so angry at others claiming it wasn't all down to Starmer's greatness.
What a bizarre take.

They actually don't though, stability comes from the (economic) centre left, inequality and environmental damage come from the centre right. As we have adequately demonstrated since the 70s now, and then worsened in the last 16 years by lurching ever more right.

That's arguable since we've had mostly centre right governments since the 70s and the standard of living gets higher over time in virtually every metric. But either way, something around the centre is the way forward and a government that focuses on policies too far to the left or the right is doomed to fail.

It's great to see such astute analyses on why labours crushing landslide victory isn't really all that, from the usual people who have never been on the right side of the argument about how elections are won.

Keep going lads, let the gems keep coming.

It's great to see such astute analyses on why labours crushing landslide victory isn't really all that, from the usual people who have never been on the right side of the argument about how elections are won.

What do you personally get out of writing a comment like this?

That's arguable since we've had mostly centre right governments since the 70s and the standard of living gets higher over time in virtually every metric. But either way, something around the centre is the way forward and a government that focuses on policies too far to the left or the right is doomed to fail.

There are so many studies showing that social and financial inequality are bad for everyone's health, happiness, and wellbeing, and actually bad for the economy as a whole. There's never been a study that I know of that shows the opposite.

The standard of living getting higher (a trend we've definitely bucked for a few years now by the way - life expectancy has fallen for example), does not mean people are happier. What's definitely true is that since the 70s economic productivity increases have been decoupled from wage increases, and inequality has increased massively. You'll note the biggest increases in living standards in my lifetime came under New Labour, and they were forced to throw in the odd left wing economic policy such as the minimum wage from time to time. The biggest win for people and the economy under the coalition government was bumping the tax free threshold up, also a progressive form of tax cut rather than e.g. cutting the top rate of tax or increasing VAT.

I do agree that most change is better to be gradual, but we desperately need it to be leftward right now given the state of the world, and we can't afford for it to be too slow.

Literally all the statistics point to it being in spite of Starmer.

Those giddy about the huge majority and win are ignoring the clear subtext of the election which is the rise of the far right.

The concern we have is that this is a Labour Party which is promising absolutely nothing. They want to run the country properly again apparently and that means austerity. The problem with that is that they might well get the country in better shape financially but they are talking about it being a decade long project. If people in 5 years time are not feeling better off, then all the Tory bullshit that has gone before then will be forgotten and next election they will be wiped out by the promise of harsh immigration laws and huge tax cuts taking advantage of the recovering economy with Reform either growing in numbers or merged with the Tory party in one shape or another and we have seen in this election what effect a tiny percentage shift either way can have on she makeup of parliament so imagine if there is a shift back to the Tories and Reform grow in parallel - some sort of far right coalition is in my opinion actually the likely scenario in 5 years and not some worst case scenario.

The problem is that Labour are going to continue to court the centre right and right and this election has already proven that is a pointless task. If you look at the numbers, they gained nothing whatsoever, Reform picked up those voters. They didn’t win the election because they attracted the centre and centre right, there was no shift in their direction, they actually lost voters and purely benefitted from circumstances and the rise of Reform splitting the vote on the right.

In 5 years time, they cannot be campaigning on the how much better off the country is, they need to be able to campaign on how much better off the public is because if they are saying the books are balanced and it’s time for tax cuts and public spending then their opposition will say thank you very much for sorting that out now we can offer bigger tax cuts and better public spending.

So in short the reason myself and many others in this thread are so down on this election despite a huge Labour majority it’s because A. They are promising nothing and B. It feels absolutely inevitable that in 5 years time a Farage led right wing is going to romp to an even bigger majority and that is terrifying because by that time the right is going to have already gained a foothold in many other western countries and the diminishment of human rights will already been on its way to being normalised. It may sound like hyperbole but I think we are sitting on the precipice of a very dangerous period in human history - climate change driven immigration mixing with far right governments is a potentially cataclysmic.
You've summed up my sentiments exactly there.

The worry for me is that the Tories will resist any talk of a merger with Reform at this point. They'll elect someone terrible like Braverman as leader and her idiocy will bring about her own downfall within 18 months. Farage will defect to the Cons, win the leadership and fold Reform into the party.

Unless Labour have visibly improved people's lives in 5 years time, they're in a lot of trouble at the next election.

Unless Labour have visibly improved people's lives in 5 years time, they're in a lot of trouble at the next election.
Just the same as every other election then. Unless they're bailed out by the opposition having an unelectable leader, that happens from time to time, and the Tories have a limited pool to choose from now.

Just the same as every other election then. Unless they're bailed out by the opposition having an unelectable leader, that happens from time to time, and the Tories have a limited pool to choose from now.
You'd have thought so, but that doesn't explain 2015 or 1992. Or just the fact that the Tories have spent more than double the amount of time in office than Labour have.

People vote against their own interests time and again out of ignorance and fear because the right wing have an inbalance in terms of their influence via the press and TV media. They work on their message that, "Yes, your life may have got worse under us, but it would be even more so if you vote for these left wing people that say they want to help you", and people fall for it. They walk down their local high streets and blame the decline on Labour councillors on their ward rather than the policies of the government. Then they unfathomably vote for representatives of that government to fix things.

So in short, I don't think you can simplify things as you have done.

You'd have thought so, but that doesn't explain 2015 or 1992. Or just the fact that the Tories have spent more than double the amount of time in office than Labour have.

People vote against their own interests time and again out of ignorance and fear because the right wing have an inbalance in terms of their influence via the press and TV media. They work on their message that, "Yes, your life may have got worse under us, but it would be even more so if you vote for these left wing people that say they want to help you", and people fall for it. They walk down their local high streets and blame the decline on Labour councillors on their ward rather than the policies of the government. Then they unfathomably vote for representatives of that government.

So in short, I don't think you can simplify things as you have done.

Conservatives tend to have very narrow ideas which makes it easier to appeal to their supporters. Labour however has always been a broad church and has had to struggle to keep everybody happy which has often resulted in bad leadership choices. It's major successes have always come from moving to the centre.

Who said anything about right wing policies being the answer either? Both extremes are there to soak up the nutters on either end of the spectrum and render their votes useless. The sensible policies sit somewhere around the centre to centre right i.e capitalism and that's where Labour have finally woken up.
Just because in the UK that's what gets you votes, doesn't mean it's the best way to run a country.

There are so many studies showing that social and financial inequality are bad for everyone's health, happiness, and wellbeing, and actually bad for the economy as a whole. There's never been a study that I know of that shows the opposite.

The standard of living getting higher (a trend we've definitely bucked for a few years now by the way - life expectancy has fallen for example), does not mean people are happier. What's definitely true is that since the 70s economic productivity increases have been decoupled from wage increases, and inequality has increased massively. You'll note the biggest increases in living standards in my lifetime came under New Labour, and they were forced to throw in the odd left wing economic policy such as the minimum wage from time to time. The biggest win for people and the economy under the coalition government was bumping the tax free threshold up, also a progressive form of tax cut rather than e.g. cutting the top rate of tax or increasing VAT.

I do agree that most change is better to be gradual, but we desperately need it to be leftward right now given the state of the world, and we can't afford for it to be too slow.
One of the best ways to save money is to get rid of poverty as poverty costs the NHS and other services a lot of money. Cuts creates poverty and our costs increase.

One of the best ways to save money is to get rid of poverty as poverty costs the NHS and other services a lot of money. Cuts creates poverty and our costs increase.

Yup. The economy is fecked when poor people don't have money to spend because they are wasted consumers, and the costs associated with health, lower labour productivity etc. are high too. It's a doubly terrible way of "saving money" when you cut benefits, raise taxes or lower the minimum wage for low income workers, or don't invest in projects that create good jobs.

Last edited:
Yup. The economy is fecked when poor people don't have many to spend because they are wasted consumers, and the costs associated with health, lower labour productivity etc. are high too. It's a doubly terrible way of "saving money" when you cut benefits, raise taxes or lower the minimum wage for low income workers, or don't invest in projects that create good jobs.
I'm not against higher taxes, but higher taxes so we can do cuts? Nah, it needs to be used and invested to help people. I don't like the attitude of us Vs them.

This election was a damming indictment of our electoral system and showed there is no enthusiasm for any of the main parties.

All of Labour, Conservative and Liberal got less votes than in 2019.

Given the economic position, a huge Labour majority can at least allow decisive action if needed...

Possibly problems are being stored for future elections and unrest if things start going wrong for a government who only 1/3 of the electorate voted for.

As far as first days go, that + engaging with the junior doctors, I'm happy.
We'll see a lot of stuff being done in the first few months apparently. I read that Starmer consulted Blair about his first hundred days in government and Blair said his biggest regret was not acting quickly enough. Apparently Starmer has really taken that to heart.

This election was a damming indictment of our electoral system and showed there is no enthusiasm for any of the main parties.

All of Labour, Conservative and Liberal got less votes than in 2019.

Given the economic position, a huge Labour majority can at least allow decisive action if needed...

Possibly problems are being stored for future elections and unrest if things start going wrong for a government who only 1/3 of the electorate voted for.
Also showed a lack of enthusiasm for the non main parties.

We'll see a lot of stuff being done in the first few months apparently. I read that Starmer consulted Blair about his first hundred days in government and Blair said his biggest regret was not acting quickly enough. Apparently Starmer has really taken that to heart.
Nice.

Tories got wiped out which wasn't unexpected. The UK tends to switch every 10-15 years.

Interesting that FPTP which Labour have long complained about benefited them significantly this time.

Tories got wiped out which wasn't unexpected. The UK tends to switch every 10-15 years.

Interesting that FPTP which Labour have long complained a about
Labour hasn't tended to complain about FPTP, the far left have as it's one of their main excuses for not having a party.

Didn't stop Reform getting five seats though, unfortunately.

Labour hasn't tended to complain about FPTP, the far left have as it's one of their main excuses for not having a party.

Didn't stop Reform getting five seats though, unfortunately.
It is a very poor system.

The thing is, you're just banging on repeatedly about the fact they've won and nothing more than that.

Yes, Labour finally won. It's fantastic that the Tories are out for five years, but others here are asking how they've won, whether it's sustainable and what it means going forward, worrying trends in the way the vote is down and split... and all the while you're just repeatedly posting variants of 'But look - they won'. You're adding nothing at this point.

First day first positive. The ridiculous Rwanda policy is cancelled.
As far as first days go, that + engaging with the junior doctors, I'm happy.
And appointing a prisons minister who actually believes in rehabilitation. He's done more good in one day than the Tories managed in 14 years.
Thanks folks, it was nice reading some posts about actual political events today, and not just people arguing about the same shite over and over.

One of the weird things about party politics becoming so big in the national elections is that selection of candidates becomes irrelevant in a lot of places. In my constituency which is a safe Labour seat the reform candidate came second with 6900 votes and now there is a search going on Facebook if anyone actually even knows who he is as he has no social media presence and wasn’t really seen in our area at any point. His address is also from a place 30 minutes away from the constituency.

The thing is, you're just banging on repeatedly about the fact they've won and nothing more than that.

Yes, Labour finally won. It's fantastic that the Tories are out for five years, but others here are asking how they've won, whether it's sustainable and what it means going forward, worrying trends in the way the vote is down and split... and all the while you're just repeatedly posting variants of 'But look - they won'. You're adding nothing at this point.

I'm afraid that's not true. I was posting consistently from page 133 on this forum trying to explain the result to people who thought vote share mattered more than strategy, or why you can't just add up reform+tory votes, or the impact of tactical voting on vote share in a FPTP system, or the limits of the Greens, or the limits of Farage's appeal, or the impact of voter ID. So I have actually added loads to this discussion. My patience ran out around page 154.

You call them "worrying trends". I mean, come on. Labour crushed it. This is Day 1 of a regime where Labour gets to set the rules. The election is won. There's no "worrying trends" - the next election is half a decade away. The field is Labour's, they get to call the shots now. They have five years now to do things to bed in their electoral coalition, this is what governments do. Let's talk about "worrying trends" in 2028.

Rafael Behr calls this "nitpicking about the mandate - a natural displacement activity for people who inevitably struggle to process the deeper reasons why their own politics couldn't be converted into a winning majority." I wholeheartedly agree with him, he's just less irritable than I am.

Last edited:
To be fair, I didn't even vote for Labour this time round and even I'm annoyed at some of the sniping already.

Why don't we wait a bit and see what they actually do before proclaiming how awful everything is and how Farage is going to be PM in 5 years time?

To be fair the “adding nothing” criticism applies equally to the constant reminders about % of votes and what might happen in 5 years time. With the added downside of souring a couple of days when everyone should be savouring the ousting of the real villains of the piece.

To be fair the “adding nothing” criticism applies equally to the constant reminders about % of votes and what might happen in 5 years time. With the added downside of souring a couple of days when everyone should be savouring the ousting of the real villains of the piece.
I am delighted at the result, disappointed that more Tories did not bite the dust, worried about the rise of the far right and concerned what is going on in France will happen here, and desperate that Labour succeeds to drag this country out of the ditch it is in.

Also, when is this thread going to be locked?

Dont get me wrong, I've had a fantastic time watching the videos of Truss and Mogg lose their seats. Laughing my arse off at Shapps and Co getting the boot.

But I suppose I'm wary of what's to come. I've seen enough of those horror films when you all breath a sigh of relief and let your guard down at the end before the villain pops back up for another jump scare - perhaps Thérèse Coffey comes back from the dead and stubs one last cigar out in your face - and it's all followed up inevitable sequel a few years down the line.

Jacqui Smith as a minister is very funny.

Missed that.

Did see this on her Wiki:

On 24 August 2011 it emerged that Smith had arranged for two prisoners on day-release to paint a room in her house, when they were supposed to be undertaking work to benefit the community. The Ministry of Justice launched an internal investigation into the matter, and Smith made a donation to the charity overseeing the scheme. The episode was condemned by Matthew Elliot of the TaxPayers' Alliance, who stated: "It's a disgrace that a former home secretary has used prisoners as her personal handymen".

Timpson had better block her number...

Timpson had better block her number...
:lol:

Smith is a mad one.

The Guardian -

Jacqui Smith, the former home secretary, today apologised to MPs after she was criticised by a Commons committee for using the second home allowance to fund her family home.
She also apologised "unreservedly" for wrongly claiming for the cost of films watched at her family home, including two pornographic films seen by her husband.

Jacqui was always the best. The time she blamed patriarchy for having to claim porno on mps expenses was very cool.

She came out with some of the worst stuff to massage the message on the Iraq invasion.

Her 42 day detention policy probably did more to rip up basic human rights than any of these Tory fascists. She is the progenitor of Suella in many ways.

Complete wanker.

Status
Not open for further replies.