General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Point of order - can people stop using the term "Blairites" inaccurately? Describing people like Tom Watson as a Blairite makes my logic circuits short out a little.

I don't think it's fair to put all of the blame on the PLP, there were legitimate criticisms of Corbyn's leadership and performance to date (where was this level of campaigning in the Brexit referendum?).

Hopefully both sites can unite now and we'll see a stronger party.
Alan Johnson was leading Labour referendum campaign. Corbyn position on the EU seemed to be a pretty standard Left position - Not a fan of it(It's actions against Greece and the forcing of austerity being a couple of reasons) but the racist campaign of leave meant it was important to vote to stay in.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to put all of the blame on the PLP, there were legitimate criticisms of Corbyn's leadership and performance to date (where was this level of campaigning in the Brexit referendum?).

Not all of the PLP no, there were distinct groups though. Those who had concerns which could have been resolved behind closed doors and then those who just wanted him out at all costs, the latter tainted the party and brought the others with them.

Hopefully Labour can now work together while the Tories fight amongst themselves instead.

My issue with proportional representation is that people vote, largely, based on party/leader rather than local MP or local issues. PR makes coalition far more likely. Now in theory the idea that a party that won 40% of the vote joining up with party that won 20% of the vote to form government that represents 60% of the electorate sound great.

In reality what happens is that the two parties hash out a post-election manifesto 'deal', like in 2010, that nobody ever voted for. So we end up with a government elected by a greater percentage share of the population but with a set of policies not one single vote was cast for.

Not sure how that's democratic. "Thanks for the votes, now we're off to discuss behind closed doors what policies we're deciding retrospectively you voted for."

That isn't to say FPTP isn't flawed either.

Kinda, but then again, the majority of the UK right now do not vote for the party in power. In the case of 2005 General Election, you almost have a super-majority against the Labour Government. And yet they somehow have power for another 5 years, where is the logic in that?

So under FPTP you have the vast majority of people opposing the government we get, under STV/PR we get a coalition where no one gets the government we get?

Democracy is an experiment. Politics is a game. There is no perfect system, but if there was one, it wouldn't give one party complete power for 5 years, and then another party complete power too. People would vote for the party that represented them and then parliament would vote through the laws that the majority of MPS (and therefore the country) supported.

People wanted a vote on Brexit (2015: Conservatives: 36.8%, UKIP: 12.7%). Then it turned out they wanted to leave the EU (52% vs 48%). Democracy works.

If you look at what the Tories and Lib Dems got through, some of it was in both parties manifestos (or both parties were happy to do it)

- Reduce the deficit
- Increase the Personal Allowance.
- Cap pay rate rises for public workers (really)
- Scrapping ID cards
- Royal Mail privatisation
- Reform NHS Dentistry (both supported this, where was it???)
- Build houses

Etc

Probably we didn't get the government we wanted, but maybe we got the one we deserved

Point of order - can people stop using the term "Blairites" inaccurately? Describing people like Tom Watson as a Blairite makes my logic circuits short out a little.
Everyone on the right of Labour is a Blairite to me :nervous:

Indeed.

Not sure of your point?

I can't see any interpretation that doesn't mean anything other than Corbyn ran a great campaign and got a result better than anyone imagined.

If he had caved to the Blairites I doubt he would have done so well.

My point is that this "great campaign" which went "better than anyone expected" involved not winning an election. And when I point this out, I'm told it's because it's a great result considering how badly Labour were polling beforehand. As though the bad polling beforehand was down to events beyond his control. Which is, of course, nonsense.

Why is it crazy?
Apart from moral issues, their policies are very similar.

Moral issues aren't something to just dismiss though. They'll rightly take a lot of flak for working with such people. The electorate won't forget it could be very damaging to them

You mean apart from it could destroy the peace process and bring back the violence and killing to Northern Ireland?

Because 10 people are simply going to back Theresa May in important issues regarding the UK, and probably receive some financial support for doing so?
The IRA would be seen as being quite pathetic for understanding that as a breach of peace. They would have to use their common sense (as hard as it is for them) to understand that Theresa May will simply be using them as a last ditch attempt to form a minority government, with some benefits in return. Nothing more.

Why is it crazy?
Apart from moral issues, their policies are very similar.

DUP were against austerity (vocally anyway.) That's a pretty big difference.

The big issue that the DUP will try and get a good deal (financially) for Northern Ireland. That should be applauded speaking as someone who lives here. However, it removes Britain's position as an impartial entity and the rest of the U.K. will not be happy about a small area getting preferential treatment just to keep a lame duck PM in power.

Moral issues aren't something to just dismiss though. They'll rightly take a lot of flak for working with such people. The electorate won't forget it could be very damaging to them

Most people of all faiths are against abortion and homosexuality, I am also against it, but these moral issues don't really carry much significance in British politics anymore. They are simply moral points of view.

Most people of all faiths are against abortion and homosexuality, I am also against it, but these moral issues don't really carry much significance in British politics anymore. They are simply moral points of view.

Sorry but no one with such views belongs in politics, they should not be mainstreamed. They're not harmless opinions even if kept mostly to themselves which the DUP do not.

DUP were against austerity (vocally anyway.) That's a pretty big difference.

The big issue that the DUP will try and get a good deal (financially) for Northern Ireland. That should be applauded speaking as someone who lives here. However, it removes Britain's position as an impartial entity and the rest of the U.K. will not be happy about a small area getting preferential treatment just to keep a lame duck PM in power.

Who gives a shit about the others not liking it?
The DUP are a party that have much in common with the Tories. All they're doing is temporarily swapping seats in parliament supporting the tories only in matters where they agree.

Some of my best black friends are gay homobisexual made-up manc mates.

Who gives a shit about the others not liking it?
The DUP are a party that have much in common with the Tories. All they're doing is temporarily swapping seats in parliament supporting the tories only in matters where they agree.

It's this ruthless determination to walk all over principles and the clear disregard your policies have been rejected in order to stay in power is what is going to do the Tories in the end.

You are a very obvious embodiment of it. May's determination to walk all over civil rights online to supposedly catch some terrorists (even though she presided over the disastrous cuts in the HO) is another very stark example.

She and her voters will get what they deserve sooner rather than later.

It's this ruthless determination to walk all over principles and a clear rejection of your policies in order to stay in power is going to do the Tories in the end. You are a very obvious embodiment of it. May's determination to walk all over civil rights online to supposedly catch some terrorists (even though she presided over the disastrous cuts in the HO) is another very stark example.

She and her voters will get what they deserve sooner rather than later.

Well personally I think she should go, but obviously there are Brexit talks next week. It's a very bad situation, as everyone understands.

I wouldn't prevent homosexuality, as it is everyones free moral choice. I disapprove gay marriage.
Why are you trying to prevent gay marriage but not stop the root cause? Its a moral choice to murder someone and we try to prevent that. Do you not think we should be doing more?

The remain campaign didn't see him as an asset, much like they didn't before this campaign

The remain campaign didn't see him as an asset, much like they didn't before this campaign
Well if he did insist on going on TV shows to talk about his 7/10 enthusiasm for the EU...

Remember the reaction to this

D1v1cLi.gif

My point is that this "great campaign" which went "better than anyone expected" involved not winning an election. And when I point this out, I'm told it's because it's a great result considering how badly Labour were polling beforehand. As though the bad polling beforehand was down to events beyond his control. Which is, of course, nonsense.

the biased media had a lot to do with the polling.
Corbyn stood by his principals against back stabbing members of his own party.