General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is this coalition sustainable in anyway? surely this is down for another vote after the brexit negotiations?

This sort of comment makes me fecking spew. feck off. Wake the feck up!!!! You are an ignorant cnut assuming the high ground without any willingness to look under the pile of stinking garbage in plain sight.

Edit: If I am Banned for this post, please review when the truth about what May knew comes out.
Drop the conspiracy nonsense.

The DUP will have been promised something significant for NI and they will back the Tories come what May. The two parties see eye to eye on many issues anyway, including Brexit.
But a majority of 2 requires essentially every MP to follow the whip in every single vote and as a few people mentioned (i have no idea about this whatsoever) there seems to be some variation in what the DUP votes count for with regards to english laws? or have i completely misinterpreted that. And i cant imagine every elected tory MP is down with some of the DUP's questionable social policies?

The question is, do any of the potential tory leaders want to choose now to try their luck. I don't think Boris will want to wait, he'll be trying to get the numbers as we speak.

Is there a difference between the DUPs links to loyalist paramilitaries and Sinn Fein's to the IRA? Yes there is, but also bare in mind that the Provisional IRA has decommissioned and essentially disbanded whereas most of the equivalent loyalist paramilitaries have not. So although Sinn Feins links are certainly more deep with paramilitarism it could be argued that the DUPs is more current given Fosters recent meetings with the leadership of the UDA and the scandal involving another UDA leader Dee Stitt employed by and DUP affiliated charity.

The big question regarding the DUP is what the feck is wrong in NI that a bunch of tea party impersonators can actually gain seats?

Why do people continue to vote Sinn Fein in these elections, when they know they will never ever take up their seats, Northern Ireland gonna Northern Ireland?

What I'd like to believe is that their reign is a hangover from the peace agreement, the electorate polarized from the two relatively moderate parties on both sides to the hardline. but after a decade and change the UUP are never coming back and they have their own problems (also terrorist linked if you go by the standard of today).

Its the sad state of affairs of Northern Irish politics, I had hoped people like the Alliance party were gaining ground of the "unionist" voting areas but they shot themselves in the foot over a flag.

Last edited:
The question is, do any of the potential tory leaders want to choose now to try their luck. I don't think Boris will want to wait, he'll be trying to get the numbers as we speak.
They should do. I don't know how that would work exactly, but they should do. If not now, then when? In the middle of brexit?

There is a huge middle ground for them to take

I wonder if Mays recent interview is actually an indicator that they may change their approach and call an election now

EVEL means this isn't sustainable in any way - expecially since Tories themselves propped up by 13 seats in Scotland. Would result in only 300 or so voting on English laws, they won't pass?

Oh god watching her speech now, fecking ridiculous how she continues to treat people as chumps

oKBDHew.jpg

The big question regarding the DUP is what the feck is wrong in NI that a bunch of tea party impersonators can actually gain seats?

Seriously don't waste your energy.

I'm a liberal unionist and have literally no one to vote for (that would win). It's just tribal plain and simple. DUP stand against Sinn Fein and a United Ireland - for many, that's enough regardless of the rest of their policies. It is depressing if you focus on it too long.

EVEL means this isn't sustainable in any way - expecially since Tories themselves propped up by 13 seats in Scotland. Would result in only 300 or so voting on English laws, they won't pass?
Only requires a majority of english seats, which they have easily.

I guess the big problems facing NI are nothing like the problems facing Britain.

Unionists are constantly fighting (figuratively) to stop their country being ripped in two. Republicans are fighting (figuratively) to stop a border being put up between them and the south.

Religion, poverty, etc

I guess the big problems facing NI are nothing like the problems facing Britain.

Unionists are constantly fighting (figuratively) to stop their country being ripped in two. Republicans are fighting (figuratively) to stop a border being put up between them and the south.

Religion, poverty, etc

Simplistic view but hard to argue with.

Ive got to give Sturgeon credit for admitting that the threat of a second referendum on Scottish independence cost her party votes.

Most politicians would just either ignore the question or twist the facts to suit them.

Fair play!

Okay, that's my new saddest irony.

Northern Ireland and Scotland voted remain. Its arguably more important for Northern Ireland than for Scotland

Scotland returned 39 pro-eu candidates. Northern Ireland, 0.

OK, it's fringe stuff. I know Pilger, he makes alternative history films. His work lacks context and drives a preformed agenda.
Name me three decent investigative journalists that write for the mainstream media (owned by billionaires enjoying offshore tax-haven status) - i.e. not "fringe-stuff". Decent journalism has been forced to the fringe but is therefore less constrained and, often, superior. That's the world we live in these days. It's really not fair to denigrate investigative journalism as "fringe-stuff" anymore.

Edit: This chap also has some decent contributions to make...

Edit 2: As does...

Last edited:
Is there a difference between the DUPs links to loyalist paramilitaries and Sinn Fein's to the IRA? Yes there is, but also bare in mind that the Provisional IRA has decommissioned and essentially disbanded whereas most of the equivalent loyalist paramilitaries have not. So although Sinn Feins links are certainly more deep with paramilitarism it could be argued that the DUPs is more current given Fosters recent meetings with the leadership of the UDA and the scandal involving another UDA leader Dee Stitt employed by and DUP affiliated charity.
Loyalist paramilitaries 'decommissioned' too. Though they all still have plenty of guns. The IRA included.

I'm more excited about Campbell getting pulled up for his comments on Corbyn and what the result means for people like him than any he might have for the Tories.
Campbell's came out supporting Corbyn during the campaign, I think that's already happened. Jeremy has a full mandate to lead and realign the party now, I'd expect people are going to come round to his wing of the party, hopefully meaning a much improved front bench for the shadow cabinet.