General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And i wouldn't grudge you the decision to oppose them on those grounds.

But if local issues should be kept separate, then why have constituencies at all?

Charalambous is also a fan of the project, and basically told those with concerns to jog on. So he doesn't even have an out morally.
The way I see it, you should basically always vote in a general election for Labour or the Tories based on your overall political outlook, i.e. if you're a collectivist at heart, vote Labour; if you're an individualist, vote Tory. (Unless there is an exceptionally objectionable candidate selected in your constituency)

In terms of influencing where the party lies on the political spectrum and on local issues, it's best to vote in council elections, join the party and try to influence as best you can from within.

Except that you are voting for someone to represent the interests of your community. If they can't be trusted to do so, the national politics are not enough to override such.

I really can't agree with you there and tbh it sounds like sour grapes for you to say that voters should be ashamed of voting for their nations interests in a national election rather than focusing instead on small local issues that should be reserved for local elections.

So after all this hysteria with Corbyn and the IRA, the Tories jump into bed with a notorious right-wing faction linked to unionist terrorism? :lol:

This DUP coalition won't last long at all. The working majority is tiny, and the Tory rank and file smell blood. There'll be a coup.

I'm very intrigued to see how Davidson acts here. She's always been a very liberal Tory - her views in that regard fly in the face of the much more conservative May, and her own sexuality is at the odds with the abhorrent views of the DUP. She'll be very careful in how she acts; burning too many bridges may weaken her chances, but if Boris fancies himself for PM then I wouldn't be shocked to see Davidson wanting to stand herself because she dislikes him a fair bit.

Naturally though, any move to Westminster would require a by-election, and considering the volatility of Scottish politics right now, I wouldn't be half-surprised if she became favourite for PM and then lost a by-election to actually get into parliament.
I think for that reason alone she couldn't be PM. It would surely be far too risky - especially as Labour and the SNP could easily work together to stop her getting a seat anywhere in Scotland she stood.

Why just 4?
650 seats in the HoC

326 needed for a majority

Tories have 318. DUP have 10 = 328. 2 above the threshold.

But Sinn Fein don't take their seats and speaker is independent.

So 650 minus (1 + 7) is 642 seats. 322 seats needed for a majority. Tories and DUP have 328. A majority of 6. So we need 7 of them to flip sides and reject the Queen's speech.

You're right, not 4.

I've followed Davidson on twitter for ages - she's got a great sense of humour. She'll need it.

True. While she's a very competent politician and has done a remarkable job up here in getting the Tory vote up, she sometimes lacks in substance and can be exposed a bit when properly questioned.

I think for that reason alone she couldn't be PM. It would surely be far too risky - especially as Labour and the SNP could easily work together to stop her getting a seat anywhere in Scotland she stood.

The only other option is parachuting her down south, but then that looks dodgy as feck. Perhaps the safest option would be to throw her into Mundell's seat by getting him to pack it in and take Davidson's place at Holyrood; it's probably the safest Tory seat out there and survived the SNP surge in 2015.

True. While she's a very competent politician and has done a remarkable job up here in getting the Tory vote up, she sometimes lacks in substance and can be exposed a bit when properly questioned.
The Tory Nicola Sturgeon. Davidson is very competent.

Anyway, i think i'm going to get some space from all this politics for a bit. No idea how the Americans endure the length of their election campaigns.

Have I Got News For You will be a good watch tonight.

Also, Question Time is on at 8:30 tonight.

May doesn't have to have a deal. The largest party has first choice on whether to form a minority government. it would be incapable of passing any disputed legislation, but we would have a prime minister, and government would tick over, for a while.

Don't remember there being any minority governments in my lifetime.

The way I see it, you should basically always vote in a general election for Labour or the Tories based on your overall political outlook, i.e. if you're a collectivist at heart, vote Labour; if you're an individualist, vote Tory. (Unless there is an exceptionally objectionable candidate selected in your constituency)

In terms of influencing where the party lies on the political spectrum and on local issues, it's best to vote in council elections, join the party and try to influence as best you can from within.

Yeah I agree. Quite a few seats that the Tories won but Labour/Lib had more share of the vote.

I really wish we had alternative voting. FPTP is hugely frustrating.

Also the DUP is against Hard Brexit.

Pretty much every MP is really against hard Brexit, it's just that it's not clear what else is on offer, especially if we continue to insist we can't have FoM. The fact that May wimped out to the extent of not wanting to promise anything better than that is one of the reasons we are in this mess.