General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So they're just going to enter into discussions now with the DUP.

Why has May gone and gotten permission to form a government, when there's always a slim chance the talks with the DUP could break down?

Wouldn't the logical thing be to make a deal and then go to the palace?

She's roleplaying as PM, her psycho-sexual fantasy of being in power meant LARP'ing over to the palace in her PM car.

Apparently the fixed-term parliament act dictates that if a government can't be formed, new election has to take place in two weeks :nervous:

This is crazy! Surely at the least more time is needed to address election weaknesses and put together a manifesto part deux!

Fascinating to see what damage this does to the DUP across the U.K. and therefore the image of N.Ireland.

It wouldn't surprise me if the English hated this place by the end of this minority government. Not that I believe it will last very long. The DUP don't even see eye to eye with the Tories despite the narrative - only the hardliners which aren't a majority. And hell the DUP weren't keen on austerity either.

Labour gained over 3000 votes in my constituency they were short of over 1000. This has annoyed me because I know so many people that would have voted labour but didn't bother to vote. Majority of them women. Women died so we could vote exercise your legal right!

I'm getting the impression they'll bump her down to Westminster before long.

From a Labour perspective, I'm wondering whether last night might be the absolute best scenario possible for the party. It's left May in a "coalition of chaos", in a terrible position to negotiate an already impossible deal. The infighting, back stabbing and difficulties dealing with the DUP are going to tear the Conservatives apart. It's also worked as a protest vote of sorts in that various Tories are starting to recognise that they need to actually treat their electorate like humans and more of their extreme policies won't stand a hope of being passed. In fact I doubt they will even try.

This is crazy! Surely at the least more time is needed to address election weaknesses and put together a manifesto part deux!
I think for this reason as much as anything, they'll come to an agreement for a Queen's speech just to get things functional. But I do think we'll be heading back to the polls by the end of the year because a Tory+DUP double act is not very strong or stable.

I think for this reason as much as anything, they'll come to an agreement for a Queen's speech just to get things functional. But I do think we'll be heading back to the polls by the end of the year because a Tory+DUP double act is not very strong or stable.
What is the likelihood of another general election? I don't think I'd mind another.

Apparently the fixed-term parliament act dictates that if a government can't be formed, new election has to take place in two weeks :nervous:
Seems to be correct
Early elections

Section 2 of the Act provides for early general elections when either of
the following conditions is met:

• if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least
two-thirds of the whole House (including vacant seats), i.e. 434
Members out of 650, or without division; or
• if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative
government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days by
means of a confidence motion.

There were detailed discussions about the constitutional implications of
these triggers during the passage of the Bill. Some commentators and
Members of both Houses questioned whether both options were
necessary, and argued that the legislation would allow for constructive
votes of no confidence (where an incumbent government triggers an
early election through tabling a motion of no confidence in itself).4

Initially, the Bill provided for no confidence motions to be certified as
such by the Speaker, given that there was no set formula for confidence
motions. This provision was removed, following concerns that the
legislation would make the Speaker’s consideration of confidence
motions and the practices of the House questions for the courts, which
could be drawn into matters of acute political controversy. Instead, the
Act now provides for a set formula to be used. Firstly, the form of the
motion would be:

“That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government”.
If this motion is carried, there is a 14 calendar day period in which to
form a new Government, confirmed in office by a resolution as follows:
“That this House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government”

If a new Government cannot be formed within this time period, then
dissolution is triggered. There is no provision for an extension of the 14 day period
. Dissolution need not follow immediately on a triggering
event, as section 2(7) allows for the Prime Minister to recommend a
suitable polling day to the Crown. A proclamation for a new Parliament
can then be issued.

The Act also specifies the form of the motion for the purposes bringing
about an early general election:

“That there shall be an early parliamentary general election”.
This procedure was used on 19 April 2017, following Prime Minister
Theresa May’s announcement, on 18 April 2017, that she planned to
call an early election which would be held on 8 June 2017.5

A proclamation, announcing that the general election would take place
on 8 June 2017, was issued on 25 April 2017,6 so Parliament will
dissolve on 3 May 2017.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06111/SN06111.pdf

Edit - actually, that might only be for votes of no confidence......?

Last edited:
You'd think they've got little choice, particularly after their chosen candidate had the balls to admit he was wrong about Corbyn last night. But Jess Phillips wouldn't get booked on This Week whenever she wanted if she agreed with the party leader.
Agreed. It won't be this simple, but you have to hope that this election gives us a united Labour party for at least a couple of years.

With a new election, the beating the Tories have had in the press over the last 24 hours, Scotland recognising a Labour vote could be a strong tactical move and a re-energised Labour support, I really wouldn't be surprised to see a Labour majority.

Zero cabinet ministers have still shown their faces on TV today. :lol: :lol:

The reshuffles will be intriguing. Rudd was scheduled for Chancellor but her barely hanging on surely won't bode well. Will May punish Boris ahead of any potential challenge? Will we see any names re-entering the fold?

With age comes a lower openness to new ideas as a personality trait, shown by studies.

I have more knowledge and experience as I get older like most and politically I find that I'm more open to ideas funnily enough.

With a new election, the beating the Tories have had in the press over the last 24 hours, Scotland recognising a Labour vote could be a strong tactical move and a re-energised Labour support, I really wouldn't be surprised to see a Labour majority.

If there's another vote I'm almost certain my own constituency will swing Labour. They almost recovered a 20%+ gap, getting it done to hundreds of votes.

Tories have rightly fecked up my local area, but will still get in every year. I can give examples if you like.

I know that's not the point you were making to Zarlak. But maybe National and Local should stay separate?

And i wouldn't grudge you the decision to oppose them on those grounds.

But if local issues should be kept separate, then why have constituencies at all?

Charalambous is also a fan of the project, and basically told those with concerns to jog on. So he doesn't even have an out morally.

If there's another vote I'm almost certain my own constituency will swing Labour. They almost recovered a 20%+ gap, getting it done to hundreds of votes.

Yeah I don't think they will pickup more votes, I just think the turn out would be lower with many Conservatives sick of their own party not bothering to show up.

Very interesting.

I'm very intrigued to see how Davidson acts here. She's always been a very liberal Tory - her views in that regard fly in the face of the much more conservative May, and her own sexuality is at the odds with the abhorrent views of the DUP. She'll be very careful in how she acts; burning too many bridges may weaken her chances, but if Boris fancies himself for PM then I wouldn't be shocked to see Davidson wanting to stand herself because she dislikes him a fair bit.

Naturally though, any move to Westminster would require a by-election, and considering the volatility of Scottish politics right now, I wouldn't be half-surprised if she became favourite for PM and then lost a by-election to actually get into parliament.

So they're just going to enter into discussions now with the DUP.

Why has May gone and gotten permission to form a government, when there's always a slim chance the talks with the DUP could break down?

Wouldn't the logical thing be to make a deal and then go to the palace?

May doesn't have to have a deal. The largest party has first choice on whether to form a minority government. it would be incapable of passing any disputed legislation, but we would have a prime minister, and government would tick over, for a while.

People over play thus. The largest voted party in NI. Yes they can sort their shit out in NI. They won't have a major play on anything

What? They'll quite literally be able to bring down the UK government if they fall out with them!:lol:

Id hope some Tory MPs decide they cant support elevating the DUP.

Of course they matter, I don't think I said at any point in that post that they didn't? I said that there are much bigger and more daunting things facing all of us that need consideration. What you alluded to would be cutting your nose off to spite your face. Fixing a small local problem by changing the entire country and fecking yourself over in 7 other areas cannot be described as anything but short sighted. General elections are supposed to be about changing the country, not just about changing your local area. That's what local elections are for and I know you're smart enough to know that.

Except that you are voting for someone to represent the interests of your community. If they can't be trusted to do so, the national politics are not enough to override such.

Enfield is a total disgrace in that regard. I don't know how an openly proud Labour supporter could look some of their fellow residents in the eye this morning. They'd need a bloody good explanation for certain, as the anger among people i've spoken to is very high. A future campaign might be very bitter.
Tory won in Enfield (where i lived and worked from 2013 and 2014)?

I'm very intrigued to see how Davidson acts here. She's always been a very liberal Tory - her views in that regard fly in the face of the much more conservative May, and her own sexuality is at the odds with the abhorrent views of the DUP. She'll be very careful in how she acts; burning too many bridges may weaken her chances, but if Boris fancies himself for PM then I wouldn't be shocked to see Davidson wanting to stand herself because she dislikes him a fair bit.

Naturally though, any move to Westminster would require a by-election, and considering the volatility of Scottish politics right now, I wouldn't be half-surprised if she became favourite for PM and then lost a by-election to actually get into parliament.
I've followed Davidson on twitter for ages - she's got a great sense of humour. She'll need it.