General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did you vote Dem in the end?
Labour.

My Lib Dem was a trade unionist that seems unbothered by Brexit, and barely active.

My Labour was active and supported another Brexit referendum :lol:

Didn't matter, safe seat for the Tories.

Labour.

My Lib Dem was a trade unionist that seems unbothered by Brexit, and barely active.

My Labour was active and supported another Brexit referendum :lol:

Didn't matter, safe seat for the Tories.

I reluctantly went Labour too. I live in a Labour safe seat so it wouldn't have made a difference regardless.

Regarding Hastings recounts:

Can you please post this in the election thread from the Independent candidate himself (whose goal was to expose Rudd and take votes from her.. But he ended up receiving more votes than Rudd's majority which he must be annoyed about!)

One recount only took place

Here's the tweet

As an American, who...really just cares less and less about politics each day: what does this mean, exactly?
honestly, with the DUP ready to help conservertives and May rummored to be staying on, practically very little changes.

though, May will be a much weaker primer minister, and will be seen as a lot weaker by Europe.

Hope the EU offer to table a delay. It would squeeze May on the stability argument

What's taking these last two constituencies so fecking long. You've had 12 hours.

Hypothetically speaking if Sinn Fein took up their seats in parliament, what would happen next?
Hell would freeze over. Seriously though, ConDUP would still have a majority.

What's taking these last two constituencies so fecking long. You've had 12 hours.
Kensington had a couple of recounts and they've been sent home to get some sleep before another recount later today.

honestly, with the DUP ready to help conservertives and May rummored to be staying on, practically very little changes.

though, May will be a much weaker primer minister, and will be seen as a lot weaker by Europe.

She's a lame duck. Her own party will shaft her. Prepare for Boris, unfortunately. The real tragedy of this vote is it could be interpreted as an anti-May vote as much as pro-JC vote. I can't help but think that Labour could have had an even bigger swing with a leader who championed remain.

Last 2 conservative leaders have made a spectacular mess of the country.

She's a lame duck. Her own party will shaft her. Prepare for Boris, unfortunately. The real tragedy of this vote is it could be interpreted as an anti-May vote as much as pro-JC vote. I can't help but think that Labour could have had an even bigger swing with a leader who championed remain.

Absolutely nothing suggests thats true.

I bet it was the promise of free tuition fees from labour that created the upsurge in support. Can't find the numbers but bbc last night kept on banging on about the big increase in turn out of 18-21 year olds

Hypothetically speaking if Sinn Fein took up their seats in parliament, what would happen next?
It wouldn't really make a difference

650 seats minus speaker is 649. Majority needed is 325.
650 seats minus speaker and Sinn Fein is 642. Majority required is 322.

Conservatives are on 318
DUP are on 10

So either way, they need other parties votes to govern OR to do a coalition with the DUP

not sure i agree, think labour did so well becuase of corbyn, he inspired a lot of people, and got votes people went expecting. remain parties like Lib Dem and SNP didnt have a stella night.

Regarding Hastings recounts:

Then we can say it looked like a fair result :)

Sounded dodgy as heck when i was reading that there were multiple recounts, but they clearly were lies if another candidate says if there was just 1.

Though we need to know who was ahead in the first count.

not sure i agree, think labour did so well becuase of corbyn, he inspired a lot of people, and got votes people went expecting. remain parties like Lib Dem and SNP didnt have a stella night.
I think that could be down to tactical voting from otherwise Lib Dem supporters taking an "anyone but May" approach.

Boris ain't becoming PM.

conservative-ge2017-strong-stable-leadership.jpg

peter-robinson-democratic-unionist-party-leader-with-his-elected-mps-picture-id472456856

I think that could be down to tactical voting from otherwise Lib Dem supporters taking an "anyone but May" approach.
Most likely this, I know a fair few lib dem supporters who also voted Labour for tactical reasons.

May's leadership resulted in a reversal of a Tory majority.
Lib Dem bounced back a little.
SNP reverted to pre-2015 norms.
UKIP vote split evenly between Lab and Con.
Lab won big swings in pro-remain constituencies.
Con won in pro-leave constituencies.

I'm not disputing JC's performance. He had a great campaign. But given the implosion of the Tories, if Labour had been stronger on remain who knows the final outcome. There is clear evidence in this vote of the remainers fighting back.

The general election has ended in a hung Parliament, where no party has the 326 seats needed to get an overall majority in the House of Commons.

So what happens now?

Who is the prime minister?
Theresa May remains the prime minister, and the Conservative government stays in office, until it is decided who will attempt to form a new government or unless she decides to resign.

Will the Conservatives form the next government?
Not necessarily. The party with the most MPs is normally described as the winner and its leader nearly always goes on to become the next prime minister.

But in a scenario like this, when no party has enough MPs to form a majority, it is possible for the party that came second to form a government with the help of other parties.

Labour, which finished second, has indicated it will seek to form a minority government (see below).

What happens now?
Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn could opt to go it alone and try to run a minority government, relying on the support of smaller parties when needed to get their laws passed.

Or there may be a frenzied round of talks between the party leaders and their negotiating teams, as they try to put together another coalition government or a looser deal.

_96404597_mediaitem96404592.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Who gets the first go at putting together a deal?
Theresa May, whose party looks set to get 319 seats, can stay on as prime minister while she tries to put a majority together.

If it becomes clear that she can't and Jeremy Corbyn can, then she will be expected to resign. Mr Corbyn would then become the prime minister.

But the Labour leader does not have to wait until Mrs May has exhausted all her options before he starts trying to put a deal of his own together. He can hold talks with potential partners at the same time as Mrs May. They may even be talking to the same people.

How long will it take?
There is no official time limit. It took five days to put the coalition together in 2010 but it is generally expected to take longer than that.

At the moment the first deadline is Tuesday 13 June, when the new Parliament meets for the first time. Mrs May has until this date to put together a deal to keep herself in power or resign, according to official guidance issued by the Cabinet Office.

But Mrs May must be clear that Jeremy Corbyn can form a government and that she can't. She is entitled to wait until the new Parliament to see if she has the confidence of the House of Commons.

What if it is still not clear a new government can be formed?
The government needs to see if it can assemble the votes it needs to get its programme of proposed new laws passed in the Queen's Speech, which is scheduled for Monday 19 June.

Theresa May may opt to remain in power and gamble on getting enough votes from other parties to get her programme passed.

If she has already resigned and handed over to Mr Corbyn, this will be the key test of whether the Labour leader can form a government.

What is a minority government?
_82734436_ed6d3da3-5467-4659-9a2f-78768cecbc79.jpg

The Conservatives or Labour could try to form a minority government, filling all the ministerial positions themselves.

This party would be unable to pass laws and legislation without the votes of other parties that are not part of the government.

For example, Labour could be a minority government with Jeremy Corbyn as prime minister - but would likely require the votes of the Scottish National Party and Liberal Democrat MPs to get things done.

How many MPs would a minority government need for it to be a feasible option?
A party could fall well short of an outright majority and still run a minority government.

A new Conservative or Labour government would also face a fractured opposition - other parties would all have to gang up together to vote against it. This would not happen very much in practice. It is not enough for the losing parties to have more MPs than the "winner". They have to be able to form a coherent alternative.

What about a coalition?
_96405292_b2e4ac19-3b12-4ddf-a927-cf631dfa7afc.jpg
Image copyrightPA
Image captionDavid Cameron and Nick Clegg led a coalition after the 2010 general election
A coalition is when two or more parties join forces to govern as a single unit. The junior partners are given ministerial jobs and a joint programme for government is set out.

This seems less likely than in 2010, when the Conservatives and Lib Dems teamed up, given the numbers involved and the parties' statements.

Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party has suggested it could back the Tories and would be vital in helping them to govern in a hung parliament, but this would more likely be on a day-by-day arrangement.

Jeremy Corbyn could lead a coalition with the SNP and the Lib Dems - although this is something he has so far said he would not do, and in any case the three parties do not have the numbers to secure a Commons majority.

The Lib Dems have said that there will be "no coalition" and "no deals" from them while SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon said she "would look to be part of a progressive alliance that pursued progressive policies".

The Green Party, which has one MP, Caroline Lucas, said it would never back a Tory government but could support Labour on a vote-by-vote basis.

Will there be another election?
_82734608_05d33eca-7ff7-4b61-b8b3-7a100e01bf3c.jpg
Image copyrightPA
Possibly.

In the past, when minority governments have been formed at Westminster, the prime minister has held another election at the earliest opportunity to try and gain a working majority. Or the opposition has forced another election by tabling a "confidence" motion.

The Fixed-Term Parliament Act - passed by the Lib Dems and Conservatives to make their 2010 coalition less likely to collapse - means an election can only be held if:

• Two-thirds of MPs vote for it. In practice, it would need to be supported by both Labour and the Conservatives.
  • If MPs pass a motion of no confidence in the government AND an existing or new government cannot win a confidence vote in the Commons within 14 days of the no-confidence vote
What will happen to the Brexit talks?
The talks are currently due to begin on 19 June but if it takes a while to form a government it could ask the EU for a delay.

However, Mr Corbyn says they have to go ahead as planned with the "government of the day" taking part.

The EU Parliament's chief negotiator said the outcome "will make already complex negotiations even more complicated".

What role does the Queen play?
The leader of the party that can tell the Queen they have a workable Commons majority is the one Her Majesty will authorise to form a government.

By convention, the Queen does not get involved in party politics, so there are no circumstances in which she would choose the prime minister.

There have been suggestions that she may not deliver the Queen's Speech in person if there's a question mark over whether it will get voted through.

Is there any way round this?
We are in uncharted waters here.

Britain does not have a written constitution and experts are divided over what may happen if no one can form a government.

Here are some alternative scenarios:

• If a "no confidence" motion is passed in the Commons, the prime minister could hand the party leadership to a colleague, who could have another try at winning a confidence vote before the 14-day grace period is up
  • The prime minister could resign, after being defeated on the Queen's Speech for example, and hand power to the leader of the opposition, who would then attempt to govern. This raises the prospect of a change of governing party without an election - something that has never happened in Britain and would be likely to trigger a constitutional crisis

Pretty much everyone in my team voted Labour. My office is just down the road from Labour's Head Office. People suggesting to go down there if Corbyn makes a speech.

A Pyrrhic victory (i/ˌpɪr.ɪk ˈvɪk.tər.i/ or PEER-ik VIK-tree) is a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way, though the heavy toll negates a true sense of achievement or profit.

His name [Pyrrhus of Epirus] is famous for the term "Pyrrhic victory" which refers to an exchange at the Battle of Asculum. In response to congratulations for winning a costly victory over the Romans, he is reported to have said: "If we are victorious in one more battle with the Romans, we shall be utterly ruined".[12]

May's leadership resulted in a reversal of a Tory majority.
Lib Dem bounced back a little.
SNP reverted to pre-2015 norms.
UKIP vote split evenly between Lab and Con.
Lab won big swings in pro-remain constituencies.
Con won in pro-leave constituencies.

I'm not disputing JC's performance. He had a great campaign. But given the implosion of the Tories, if Labour had been stronger on remain who knows the final outcome. There is clear evidence in this vote of the remainers fighting back.
i don't agree, i don't think any pro remain party did well enough to demonstrate that a pro remains stance would help any party. think thats a bit wishful thinking that its a remain fight back.

I voted tactically thanks to tactical2017 website and Lib Dems finished fecking 3rd.

Never doing that bullshit again, will just follow my heart next time.

So what does this all mean for Brexit?

It should mean that May's 'vision' of Brexit is dead. If the 'magic of democracy' is working then the people have spoken and told the politicians that May's assertion that 'no deal is better than a bad deal' is bollix. But of course now we are faced with the appalling vista of the DUP propping up a Tory government; the ultimate 'no dealers' from NI will keep this Tory charade going. It's a bit like Trump in truth; while it's a kick in the teeth for May we still have the lunatics running the asylum.

i don't agree, i don't think any pro remain party did well enough to demonstrate that a pro remains stance would help any party. think thats a bit wishful thinking that its a remain fight back.

Don't agree. It's a vote rejecting May's vision of Brexit as much as for JC's vision for Britain. Anyway, it's all a bit of a mess. So much for 'strong and stable government'.