General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
well done to the person on BBC calling out Theresa May for the shocking campaign

Soubry is very sensible and pro-Remain. I count her as the Ken Clarke type of Tory - not too bad at all and very votable.

Only way this isn't a hung parliament is if Tories win 60/85 seats remaining. What's left to call? How many marginals?

If it's a hung parliament then will it not just become a conservative + DUP coalition? Am seeing some people talk about another election.

Whoever is on BBC right now - she's tearing into May like lion into a carcass.

If it's a hung election then will it not just become a conservative + DUP coalition? Am seeing some people talk about another election.

On principle, yes, but the Tories have plenty of moderate Remainers and EVEL laws will mean they may not have a working majority on English issues.

If it's a hung parliament then will it not just become a conservative + DUP coalition? Am seeing some people talk about another election.
Not tenable with the current numbers.

May will go. DUP will want things. New leader will want their own mandate.

The story of the night:

Labour increased majority in Halifax, a seat Tories and May thought they'd win to increase their majority. May even started her campaign there.

I don't think she's particularly vulnerable. It has to be remembered that in spite of tonight's decline she's ultimately managed to take the SNP from 6 seats to a majority since she came to power; plus there's the fact she's close to a majority in Holyrood still. Ultimately any party is going to struggle to sustain 50% and until the SNP are starting to look like they're no longer the most popular party in Scotland she'll be fine, especially considering a lot of potential SNP voters were tempted by Corbyn's Labour tonight.

Robertson won't succeed her either; not necessarily his fault, but an election loss doesn't paint him in a good light. Difficult to tell who'd take over - I don't think Tommy Sheppard is an awful shout since he got back in tonight. Now a good few names from Westminster are gone though I suspect we'll see some new names gaining increasing prominence at Westminster in place of Salmond, Robertson, Tasmina etc.

It's a fair point about Holyrood, and one which can be all too easily forgotten on a night like this. Unionism is strengthened, you would think, or maybe we're just more polarised.

I probably don't follow Scottish politics as closely as i ought, however it seems to me that policy played a far greater role north or the border than it did in England. Here, we had a rather floundering PM with weak policies; whereas the SNP suffered most from its time in government.

We'll see you saturday Scotland, pricks.

As long as the Tories don't have any sort of workable majority, we should get a new election and then the Scots can wake up and vote for Labour. Double figures of Tories from Scotland is pretty crazy given what I know of Scottish political views.

Some seats don't come in until later in the day, probably 10 seats or so, from the Highlands and islands etc, so given how close it is, I can see us not knowing until the afternoon

Massive gain for Labour in Brighton Kemptown