General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meh, If I thought Tories were a safe majority I'd vote Lib Dems just as a Brexit protest but it does feel like Labour has huge support, more than last time around.

Ah well, off to the polls.

No it didn't. If you actually believe in capitalism, you have to let failing businesses, even banks, die when they lose billions of pounds. Since the banks were bailed out, governments aren't in a position to do it again. And have the banks learned their lesson? No they haven't.

Not insuring savings in banks arguably ruins capitablism. Arguably you could have a national bank that insured savings and other banks that don't. But to make banking as a whole risky, ruins capitalism.

Dunno, I'd go with;

1) NOT Triple locked the pensions. It's harsh, but when you are already shrinking the state, you can't then triple lock income for the older folks requiring even more cuts elsewhere. You could even argue it should have been cut (ouch)

2) Not cut local governments as much. Spending is important.

3) As house prices recovered, restrict the amount people can borrow for a mortgage (say to 4x instead of 4.5x). This would have helped cut the average house price, giving more money to renters and first time buyers. (The high average house price is one thing that's stopping our economy from really thriving). Also, take away stamp duty for first time buyers to help first time buyers.

4) Instead of cutting JSA look to fund retraining programs.

5) Instead of raising the Personal Allowance ever higher, provide some Universal Income. (maybe)

6) Reduce the additional tax bracket

Basically... spend on growth. If spending in any areas gives growth, don't cut it.

Triple lock probably lib dem led, but yeah I see what you mean. I think it was the other cuts that meant the triple lock could offset some of these.

Local government spend is debatable. Local governments do waste a lot of money at times, e.g. Community projects and endless road works.

I'm not sure about the mortgage percentages. That would just be more people with no chance of buying a house stuck in renting which from a demand perspective would likely increase rental costs. Although interesting one as yes some potential for prices to drop in theory, so less debt so probably somewhere in the middle.

Retraining is a good idea... If it works. You could argue the horse has bolted and are these people interested in learning and working. They've had the chance and didn't take it. It might be a bad investment.

Universal income is an interesting one, had to Google that. Might just be cutting same pie a different way with same outcome.

I disagree about higher tax bracket. 40 percent is probably a good balance. I'm happy to pay 40 percent on the top end as feels a reasonable split and I feel I still take a decent share of higher earnings. Below that I'm probably paying less than I should and it's not going to change my motivation.

I don't remember this. It's quite crucial really, do you have an EU source please? It might actually change my opinion, if so.
European Council President Donald Tusk has said that he believes Article 50 can be reversed.

When asked if the UK could unilaterally withdraw its Article 50 notification during the next two years, he said, "Formally, legally, yes."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39291512

Isn't newcatle under lyme that love to get the results in first? They might face some issues tonight if people can't vote.

So what are peoples thoughts? Tory government? Feck I hope not.

I've got 50 minutes. I don't like any of the three. Democracy is a drag sometimes.

Is Keele university in the Newcastle upon Lyme constituency? I think it's the right part of the world.

Triple lock probably lib dem led, but yeah I see what you mean. I think it was the other cuts that meant the triple lock could offset some of these.

Local government spend is debatable. Local governments do waste a lot of money at times, e.g. Community projects and endless road works.

I'm not sure about the mortgage percentages. That would just be more people with no chance of buying a house stuck in renting which from a demand perspective would likely increase rental costs. Although interesting one as yes some potential for prices to drop in theory, so less debt so probably somewhere in the middle.

Retraining is a good idea... If it works. You could argue the horse has bolted and are these people interested in learning and working. They've had the chance and didn't take it. It might be a bad investment.

Universal income is an interesting one, had to Google that. Might just be cutting same pie a different way with same outcome.

I disagree about higher tax bracket. 40 percent is probably a good balance. I'm happy to pay 40 percent on the top end as feels a reasonable split and I feel I still take a decent share of higher earnings. Below that I'm probably paying less than I should and it's not going to change my motivation.
I'm just glad you didn't tear my list apart :lol:

Yes. That is where the voting issues are.

Yes I thought so. Some of the earlier tweets seemed to imply it was more widespread. Seems like this is an issue with one constituency and maybe even one ward at most then and not a widespread issue of young people not being added.

Yes I thought so. Some of the earlier tweets seemed to imply it was more widespread. Seems like this is an issue with one constituency and maybe even one ward at most then and not a widespread issue of young people not being added.
There's a reply to one of the tweets saying there's the same issue in Nottingham.

I don't know. Hundreds of postal votes went missing in plymouth this week which is another marginal.

I am hoping it all gets sorted and there's no foul play from either side.

I'm just glad you didn't tear my list apart :lol:
Ha ha apologies I didn't mean to do that, was a genuinely interesting and thoughtful read and definitely a few things worth exploring! Trust me I'd have struggled to come up with a list like that. A good variety of angles. I'd probably be a bit narrow in thinking.

Politics is so damn hard to get right. Retraining for example is a great prospect if you get it right. But a lot of benefits claimants feel more comfortable playing that game rather than actually working. What I really like are the incentives for companies to take on the problem individuals, e.g. Employer NI cuts for certain groupings. It encourages companies to foot the bill and lines up a job at the end with an employer right there having had the chance to assess.

We had some real stars on our apprenticeship programs in the law firm i worked at. And I've heard similar great outcomes for some of the big accounting firms.

I can see her getting absolutely mullered by the EU. Hence why she is saying no deal is better than a bad deal, it's her face saving escape route.

Of course she will. She's a spineless clown and the EU hold all the power in these talks. They will piss all over her. There's no way they're giving the UK a favourable deal when they need to show strength to dissuade other countries from pulling out.

Its the whole constituency