Gary Neville - Pundit

Gary Neville wouldn’t know first hand what it’s like to have a winner’s mentality. Second hand he does. He was there with the great players, and they gave him a good bollocking every now and then so he can stay on his toes.

Cantina was the opposite. He saw the younger players as projects and I remember several occasions when he wasn't concerned the end product was array. There have been multiple stories from Butt, Neville, and Beckham about him being the same way in training, giving them advice, and encouraging them. They all flourished as a result.

Oh come on now.
If you watched football in the late 90’s and early 00’s you would know what I mean. He was a good player, never a great player. Not saying he wasn’t important but never a standout.

If you watched football in the late 90’s and early 00’s you would know what I mean. He was a good player, never a great player. Not saying he wasn’t important but never a standout.
You dont have to be a standout to have a winning mentality.

Cantina was the opposite. He saw the younger players as projects and I remember several occasions when he wasn't concerned the end product was array. There have been multiple stories from Butt, Neville, and Beckham about him being the same way in training, giving them advice, and encouraging them. They all flourished as a result.
And Michael Jordan was as harsh as they come. There isn’t one way to do things. The fact that our players are so weak mentally should be more of an issue. I remember Keane and Giggs going at it and we wouldn’t give a feck, they’re winners who are not satisfied with what they’re seeing.

Gary Neville wouldn’t know first hand what it’s like to have a winner’s mentality. Second hand he does. He was there with the great players, and they gave him a good bollocking every now and then so he can stay on his toes.
Nonsense. He was captain for a while.

And Michael Jordan was as harsh as they come. There isn’t one way to do things. The fact that our players are so weak mentally should be more of an issue. I remember Keane and Giggs going at it and we wouldn’t give a feck, they’re winners who are not satisfied with what they’re seeing.

Agree. But it worked because he was the most dominant athlete in any major sport, not because it's the most efficient or best leadership method. He broke down plenty of players and demoralised others doing it his way. Whether the Bulls would have won as much had he taken a different approach is something we don't know, but I'm not sure the parallels exist.

Nobody on the United team is even close to being the best player on the planet (nevermind the best player ever) and what Michael Jordan got away with given how much better he was than anyone in the sport has no bearing on what's happening now, and the discussion that centers around whether moaning and whinging is helpful for morale.

Read these forums and see the opinions of him as a captain
I don't need to see anyone's opinions of him as captain, he was a leader and there are numerous reports/examples of him being a leader of players.

Suggesting Gary Neville doesn't have a winning mentality is ridiculous. He is one of the best examples of a player making the absolute most of his ability level which happens when you're 100% committed, dedicated, make the right choices in terms of eating/drinking/lifestyle. He did not get carried by anyone, he earnt everything he got because of his mentality.

He was always the weak link in the team except if his brother was also on the pitch

What does he mean dressing room dissatisfaction? Are they players not happy with each other, or not happy with the manager and his tactics?

What does he mean dressing room dissatisfaction? Are they players not happy with each other, or not happy with the manager and his tactics?

I'm guessing with eachother.

I don't need to see anyone's opinions of him as captain, he was a leader and there are numerous reports/examples of him being a leader of players.

Suggesting Gary Neville doesn't have a winning mentality is ridiculous. He is one of the best examples of a player making the absolute most of his ability level which happens when you're 100% committed, dedicated, make the right choices in terms of eating/drinking/lifestyle. He did not get carried by anyone, he earnt everything he got because of his mentality.
Never was a leader. Maybe on seniority basis? I’d give you that. But enough about the player, the pundit does a lint of damage to Man United’s dressing room since many fans will parrot the same sentiments. It’s his job, but singling out players and trying to cause a rift is the last thing we need right now.

The irony is Neville is literally referred to by all his former team mates as the most moany player they ever played with and he never shut up on the pitch. Difference is simply when you win people say it’s passion and it’s positive but if you play badly and lose, it’s simple old moaning.

We have bigger issues to worry about than Ronaldo and Bruno’s not being happy that we’re playing crap. I’d rather see all the players having a pop at each other than then just sulking and wilting into themselves for 90mins.
I think if Ronaldo or Bruno gave their team mates a bollocking while bursting a gut to rectify the error, it would be seen differently. That's what the likes of Rooney, Gary, and Keano constantly did. After all, we've complained about these players not holding each other to account.

However, standing still, giving up on the phase of play, throwing your arms about theatrically, and moaning to your team mates and the ref while play is still going on is incredibly irritating.

I would say this is problem when you have overpaid individuals who think they are good enough but most of them would actually not even get into top 4 teams. I hope that people now see and understand that it isn't always managers who are wrong and there should be lot of people ashamed what they wrote about Solskjaer. I hope that Ragnick, even for 6 months, introduce a tougher system with rules full of fines and consenquences.

Now, these rumors don't need to be true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Who does that?

Standing still, giving up on the phase of play, and tossing their arms around in an almighty whinge?

Ronaldo, Rashford did it towards the ref (not his team mates) when he could have carried on playing in a good attacking position vs Newcastle, Martial wouldn't flail his arms but used to do it all the time, where he'd just give up and glare at the team mate. Bruno to his credit would mostly chase until it was a lost cause. That said, he'd still be tossing his arms about. I don't mind him giving it to team mates in the ear to be honest, I really dislike the arm flailing - always have.

Put it this way, if in a work meeting I drop the ball during a presentation, if a teammate came to me and asked me to sort myself out, I'd be fine with it. If anyone of my teammates just glares at me and starts theatrically throwing his arms about with each error, that would be devastating.
I'm a musician in my spare time, and if during a set the same thing happened where I get a verbal bollocking for messing up, fair dos, I do the same. In fact, I do it the most! But if one of our guys stops playing for a couple of seconds and starts throwing their arms up in the air, I'd be really disappointed.
It's almost rather than address me, you're drawing unnecessary attention from everyone.

Standing still, giving up on the phase of play, and tossing their arms around in an almighty whinge?

Ronaldo, Rashford did it towards the ref (not his team mates) when he could have carried on playing in a good attacking position vs Newcastle, Martial wouldn't flail his arms but used to do it all the time, where he'd just give up and glare at the team mate. Bruno to his credit would mostly chase until it was a lost cause. That said, he'd still be tossing his arms about. I don't mind him giving it to team mates in the ear to be honest, I really dislike the arm flailing - always have.

Put it this way, if in a work meeting I drop the ball during a presentation, if a teammate came to me and asked me to sort myself out, I'd be fine with it. If anyone of my teammates just glares at me and starts theatrically throwing his arms about with each error, that would be devastating.
I'm a musician in my spare time, and if during a set the same thing happened where I get a verbal bollocking for messing up, fair dos, I do the same. In fact, I do it the most! But if one of our guys stops playing for a couple of seconds and starts throwing their arms up in the air, I'd be really disappointed.
It's almost rather than address me, you're drawing unnecessary attention from everyone.
I expected more, in the sense some players play like that, not 2 or 3 instances where someone stood to wave a hand to the ref.
Also too much is made of this waving thing. Its a new theme here it seems.

I watched every single game and I can say with confidence that he was an excellent right back. Neville and Beckhan were a brilliant partnership down that right hand side. Neville had an incredible cross on him for a fullback as well.

Gary’s making it seem there’s a huge crisis after a 1-1 draw with Newcastle. God help us if we ever lost 5-0 at home to Liverpool. Wonder what he’d be saying about the manager then!

Never was a leader. Maybe on seniority basis? I’d give you that. But enough about the player, the pundit does a lint of damage to Man United’s dressing room since many fans will parrot the same sentiments. It’s his job, but singling out players and trying to cause a rift is the last thing we need right now.

Never a leader? :lol: Give your head a wobble. He was the very definition of a dressing room leader. He would represent youth players during contract negotiations if they didn’t have agents.

Its ok to dislike Neville, but this thread is an absolute car crash.

Gary’s making it seem there’s a huge crisis after a 1-1 draw with Newcastle. God help us if we ever lost 5-0 at home to Liverpool. Wonder what he’d be saying about the manager then!
He was critical of the players for that game and now to be fair to him.

Shut up Gary. Only happy when he’s heaping negativity on us.

Even when it’s right it doesn’t really help us does it.

Seeing it in the media might make the players sort it out and grow the feck up.

Last edited:
I watched every single game and I can say with confidence that he was an excellent right back. Neville and Beckhan were a brilliant partnership down that right hand side. Neville had an incredible cross on him for a fullback as well.
His crossing was good, not great. He was a good player don't get me wrong. His defending was solid and he was fully committed but nothing out of the ordinary.

Never a leader? :lol: Give your head a wobble. He was the very definition of a dressing room leader. He would represent youth players during contract negotiations if they didn’t have agents.

Bureaucratic leader then. I don't dislike Gary Neville in fact I adore that class. You need the Nevilles alognside the Scholes' and Beckhams. I dislike the fact he's singling out players out of moronic reasoning when he was the biggest culprit of whining. His teammates are on record speaking about this for those of us who don't remember what he was like.

Bureaucratic leader then. I don't dislike Gary Neville in fact I adore that class. You need the Nevilles alognside the Scholes' and Beckhams. I dislike the fact he's singling out players out of moronic reasoning when he was the biggest culprit of whining. His teammates are on record speaking about this for those of us who don't remember what he was like.
Links?

He was critical of the players for that game and now to be fair to him.
He’s right to be. I just think he’s piling on a little quicker than he did before because his mates now gone.

All this “inside knowledge” he has of stuff being rubbish in the dressing room is a joke. Nothing came out from him like that when Ole was in charge and yet the body language expert couldn’t see anything wrong in the games leading up to that hammering. Even when it was clear as day we were heading towards something like that.

As people have said he was a moany player and seems to be keen to exaggerate any negativity he sees because we aren’t as successful now and therefore the players have no right to moan. It’s boring to listen to.

Agree. Neville was a consummate professional and leader. He was always a dependable team player too. Worked tirelessly even when things didn’t quite come off on the pitch. Which we had players like him

Agree. But it worked because he was the most dominant athlete in any major sport, not because it's the most efficient or best leadership method. He broke down plenty of players and demoralised others doing it his way. Whether the Bulls would have won as much had he taken a different approach is something we don't know, but I'm not sure the parallels exist.

Nobody on the United team is even close to being the best player on the planet (nevermind the best player ever) and what Michael Jordan got away with given how much better he was than anyone in the sport has no bearing on what's happening now, and the discussion that centers around whether moaning and whinging is helpful for morale.
Weird post

Gary is giving his honest opinion as a supporter and someone who is desperate to see us do better. He’s also probably right.

We are already starting to hear rumours of dressing room unrest… they don’t like the later training times, some regret signing new deals, don’t like new seating arrangements etc. It’s absolutely pathetic and the players need to give their heads a wobble.

Funny, how cultural reboot and new set of players Ole had brought in was being used as a bargaining chip by Neville to give him more time and why club would see the season out with him. Now, in what is Rangnicks 3rd game in charge i.e. Norwich, there is a dressing room divide :lol:

What a tit, absolute dramaqueen whose opinion should matter as little as Simon Jordon of Talkshite. But, then there's cult around him as if he speaks for the entire fanbase. Couldn't even wait a month.

Weird post

It is but then that poster spends 90% of their time in Messi v Ronaldo thread or any topic related to them or forcing them into a conversation even when they aren't relevant like here, so it's best their opinion and posts are ignored altogether. Almost as if making your profile inaccessible isn't going to hide the fact that no amount of masquerading as a Utd fan is fooling anyone. Just ignore these shitposters.

Funny, how cultural reboot and new set of players Ole had brought in was being used as a bargaining chip by Neville to give him more time and why club would see the season out with him. Now, in what is Rangnicks 3rd game in charge i.e. Norwich, there is a dressing room divide :lol:

What a tit, absolute dramaqueen whose opinion should matter as little as Simon Jordon of Talkshite. But, then there's cult around him as if he speaks for the entire fanbase. Couldn't even wait a month.

It is but then that poster spends 90% of their time in Messi v Ronaldo thread or any topic related to them or forcing them into a conversation even when they aren't relevant like here, so it's best their opinion and posts are ignored altogether. Almost as if making your profile inaccessible isn't going to hide the fact that no amount of masquerading as a Utd fan is fooling anyone. Just ignore these shitposters.
Thanks for that. Noted.

Surely his job is to make a remark that gets picked up by the media at large

Seeing it in the media might make the players sort it out and grow the feck it.
Doubt it becuase him and Keano have been doing it for years.

It’s not that he’s always wrong just that the club doesn’t need the extra negativity, I just don’t see how it helps.