Gareth Southgate

Genuinely never seen a manager get less out of such a talented team. Literally everyone looks a level or three below their normal, and the longer they are in the team the worse they are. Constantly playing with 5 and 6 players behind the ball with zero risk passing. I'm sure he will give Gordon a talking to for that pass to Mainoo that set up the Palmer chance. Can't be making incisive passes like that, could lead to a counter attack!

His luck is absolutely unbelievable. Has there ever been a manager so jammy with draws? Drew the easiest group you could ask for, managed to beat only Serbia and now won't meet a group winner until the semi-final at the earliest.

The one plus point of him managing United is that if we ever got to the CL knockouts, we'd be playing Hamilton Academical.
It's astonishing really. I think England will get to the semi finals at least and then who knows but it's absolutely incredible to realise how jammy he's been.

Cowardly as per.

Look at him now in this interview, he knows it too.

"kept a clean sheet that means we top the group, I understand "some" reactions"...

The way him, Kane and Rice are passively aggressively blaming the fans is just such a blatant sign of where they are at. There's nothing in this camp, whatever good Southgate brought to England has long gone now.

Gareth Southgate Isolates his consumer unit to unplug his phone charger

Should have gone after the last WC.

He's stayed on too long and it's going to end badly. He's somehow got even more defensive and negative than ever, we look utterly paralysed with fear and obsessed with making sure we don't lose. He's stifled every bit of creativity out of the players.

In the post match interview he seemed like he was done, I think he knows he's not going to be manager in a couple of weeks.

It's astonishing really. I think England will get to the semi finals at least and then who knows but it's absolutely incredible to realise how jammy he's been.

With draws like he’s had and the players at his disposal any decent manager would have been to 4 finals in a row and won 3 of them (2018 our squad wasnt incredible but should have beat croatia)

Cowardly as per.

Look at him now in this interview, he knows it too.

"kept a clean sheet that means we top the group, I understand "some" reactions"...

The way him, Kane and Rice are passively aggressively blaming the fans is just such a blatant sign of where they are at. There's nothing in this camp, whatever good Southgate brought to England has long gone now.

A team that reflects it's coach.

The snarky, self satisfied attitude towards any comment about their performances is astonishing.

The 'leaders' in the group are not winners and it shows every time they open their mouths.

It's genuinely frightening to me to think INEOS had thoughts of recruiting this guy.

A team that reflects it's coach.

The snarky, self satisfied attitude towards any comment about their performances is astonishing.

The 'leaders' in the group are not winners and it shows every time they open their mouths.

It's genuinely frightening to me to think INEOS had thoughts of recruiting this guy.

How dare Lineker, or the fans, or anyone question them!

You are bang on, it is snarky. Him, Kane, Rice, they are all showing the weakness. Rather than fighting, it's cowardice and "oh woe ist me!" shite.

How dare Lineker, or the fans, or anyone question them!

You are bang on, it is snarky. Him, Kane, Rice, they are all showing the weakness. Rather than fighting, it's cowardice and "oh woe ist me!" shite.

It reflects their low standards.

In their minds it's clear that they think they're beyond reproach because they nearly won something. Whereas if they were winners they would understand, and agree with, the demand to get it over the line.

It's laughable really. The English media blows so much smoke up them. They talk about pressure. Just look at how the Brazilian press has responded to the start of Brazil's Copa America campaign. The England team doesn't play under a fraction of that level of expectation.

All the English public is saying is: We should do better. Incredible that this coach and his squad thinks that's so much to ask.

I hate the fact that Southgate is going to avoid Spain, France, Germany or Portugal until a potential final. It's yet again another fortuitous knockout schedule for Southgate to remonsttate that he made it to the semis or the final.

To be fair, his sheer luck of the draw that gives England the easiest possible route to winning tournaments, is his miracle.
Frankly speaking, you'll never have a better chance to win something with anyone else. Luck beats competence every time

Make your peace with it :lol:

He's bad, we all know it. But I have to say I'm surprised how the narrative has been to blame him from the first game, even from pundits etc. It's not normally so negative so soon with England, but from day dot they've been on his case.

Against Serbia the first half was OK, but as soon as the second half started to shape up worse, they were all over him.

Probably because every other team seems to have visibly coached tactical discipline and at least in spells plays decent football.

England are yet to play any football and look like they've not been given any instructions at all never mind coaching.

That and (for some reason) the pundits gave this tournament the big build up and now seem shocked that Southgate is serving up the exact same shite he always has.

The fact he was even rumored to manage us makes me sick. How can anyone think he's a good manager, he's complete useless. To make this england squad look as shit as they look hey must hand it to him that a pretty hard thing to achieve.

Abject.

Horrendous.

And not just this tournament.

He has always ambled through the easiest of groups.

The only knockout game of merit he has won in a decade was against the worst Germany side in generations.

And yet again, despite playing some of the worst football imaginable against minnows, he has lucked out with an incredibly favourable draw that means despite how badly we play, the semis are very realistic.

and if he achieves that, he will no doubt again be eulogised in the media for his incredible feats.

Southgate has one elite quality…. And that is luck. If I was him, I’d be putting on the euro millions every week.

He'll be gone soon.

He might sneak past a very mediocre Dutch side in the next round, but I can't see him besting Italy in the quarters or potentially Austria in the semis. It's the easy side the draw, but it'll be too much for Gareth.

Abject.

Horrendous.

And not just this tournament.

He has always ambled through the easiest of groups.

The only knockout game of merit he has won in a decade was against the worst Germany side in generations.

And yet again, despite playing some of the worst football imaginable against minnows, he has lucked out with an incredibly favourable draw that means despite how badly we play, the semis are very realistic.

and if he achieves that, he will no doubt again be eulogised in the media for his incredible feats.

Southgate has one elite quality…. And that is luck. If I was him, I’d be putting on the euro millions every week.

Completely agree.

No doubt we'll fire Southgate and end up getting drawn against Brazil or Argentina in the first knockout round of World Cup 2026! :lol:

Southgate's luck is unreal. Just think of that run to the 2018 World Cup semi final. Unexpectedly, James Rodriguez goes down with injury just before we play Colombia (and we still need penalties to beat them). So often things like that happen for him. Through accident rather than design we'll end up with the softest possible route through a tournament and he will still b-s it up with his reactive approach or poor in-game management.

All this talk of luck but you know if they face Austria, he's cooked. Uncle Ralf will adopt him.

All this talk of luck but you know if they face Austria, he's cooked. Uncle Ralf will adopt him.

It still doesn't change the fact that he's been insanely lucky with the draws in all major tournaments. England has somehow managed to end up on a side without a single likely winner, while on the other side you have Spain, Portugal, France, Germany.

Given Englands performances, they're likely to struggle against pretty much everyone, but it's fairly clear they couldn't really have lucked out more.

I think the most damning thing I can say is that this England team, despite having the likes of Saka, Foden, Bellingham and Cole Palmer are like watching United. Its a struggle for them to do the basics, while at their club teams they are flying.

By far the worst manager at the tournament in terms of performance against resources available. Not even close either, he's out of sight and into the distance because he has excellent players and a very weak group.

He's done okay as England manager but massively outstayed his welcome, anyone with half a brain knew the last tournament should have been his last, but the FA in their wisdom decide differently.

It's gone too safe, too cowardly for where England are positioned with the players they have and where they've already been in recent history. Seems to have no credibility or authority with the players. He wasn't always the worst international manager around but currently he is because it's gone beyond stale, it's now approaching the farcical to look at his decision making.

Giving Southgate a group of players like this is like giving a blind man the keys to a Ferrari.

I absolutely detest his "I know we're playing shit but don't blame the players" shtick that inevitably and needlessly draws attention to the players.

Besides, it is missing the point. England has an excellent squad, on paper the best of the competition, and it feels completly wasted.

Was Southgate ever a serious contender for the Utd job? If so who ever came up with that idea should feck off and when they get there feck off some more.

For some reason his tactical style reminds me of a friend of mine who told me she once had sex with a guy who put on two condoms. Just in case.

Last edited:
He will have had one target: win the group. Target achieved. As painful as it is seeing top players so constrained under him, his pragmatism is the reason England have achieved better results at major tournaments under him. Yes I also think it’s part of the reason they lost the World Cup semi final and Euros final, but still…look at how managers before him did.

That performance tonight was dominant and the options off the bench had a good impact. There was a real lack of cutting edge but it’s very difficult to break down a team defending the entire second half. Yes England have the quality to break them down, but Southgate is experienced at tournaments now and knows there’s no need to go for it so much when you’re sat top of the group. England didn’t need to win the game as boring as it is for all of us.

If you look at so many recent tournament winners, Argentina, Italy, France, Portugal…they’ve all played far from swashbuckling stuff. Tournament football is about being pragmatic and turning it on when you need to. France won the 2018 World Cup with basically dirge stuff aside from a sensational 10 minutes against Argentina when they happened to find themselves 2-1 down.

I am reserving all judgement until the knockouts because as I said at the start, Southgate has achieved the only target he wanted to.