Gareth Southgate

Does he? He says a lot of shit. He also said De Bruyne was the best player he coached(Messi doesn't count) two weeks into his City stint

And they have Rodri. Rice is great, can do a lot of things really well, he's not very good at receiving on the turn and moving it forward

You've hit the nail on the head there. Which is why someone playing deeper in midfield is required.

Let me just say: there are no perfect solutions

Now that we've gotten that out of the way we can talk about less than perfect solutions

I see two options. First, the natural player in the role - Wharton. Second, play Stones there and add another CB. Alexander Arnold is obviously not a good option if the problem is Rice being too deep.

So you go with Wharton or Stones depending who you think can do that job better, then you have Rice playing as an 8, then choose Foden or Bellingham as a 10, get two solid wingers out wide (Saka and Gordon/Eze), then pick Kane, Watkins, or Bellingham up front depending on how you want to play. If you want a false 9 go Bellingham there and then play Foden as #10.

Then at least you have a balanced team. Rice deepest doesn't work, Trent doesn't work, Foden left doesn't work. That all needs to be changed and I'm describing how you do that. There's no perfect player for the 6 position but there are better options than what's being done right now.

It’s just hard to imagine someone so beige really inspiring his players or being able to lift them when they’re down

I see two options. First, the natural player in the role - Wharton.
I'd probably trust Mainoo more in that regard

Second, play Stones there and add another CB.
This doesn't solve anything because Stones is also not good at that. It's one thing to do it on a team as overcoached as City as a secondary option to Rodri - quite another to be the team's main hub in the the first build up phase. Stones is essentially Rice, but worse

Alexander Arnold is obviously not a good option if the problem is Rice being too deep.
It's not Rice being too deep so much as Rice touching the ball too many times and being asked to play through the lines with little support

I'd probably trust Mainoo more in that regard

This doesn't solve anything because Stones is also not good at that. It's one thing to do it on a team as overcoached as City as a secondary option to Rodri - quite another to be the team's main hub in the the first build up phase. Stones is essentially Rice, but worse

It's not Rice being too deep so much as Rice touching the ball too many times and being asked to play through the lines with little support

Wharton is more of a 6 than Mainoo. It could work as Mainoo Rice but they're both more box to box

Disagree on Stones, I think he can do that role better than Rice. Alternatively just call it 3 at the back with Stones stepping up.

It is Rice too deep that's the problem. He can do more further forward but he's wasted in the deeper role. Plus an extra player ahead of the ball is needed because there were literally no options when Rice had it.

Wharton is more of a 6 than Mainoo. It could work as Mainoo Rice but they're both more box to box
Right now the main issue is beating the opponent's high press. I trust Mainoo's dribbling more than Wharton for that.

Disagree on Stones, I think he can do that role better than Rice. Alternatively just call it 3 at the back with Stones stepping up.
Stones has never played that role. Don't bring up City - his role at City is the one TAA is technically playing for England. You've still got Rice as the main initiator and build up hub. Alternatively you'd be trying a guy who never did it before in his life

It is Rice too deep that's the problem. He can do more further forward but he's wasted in the deeper role. Plus an extra player ahead of the ball is needed because there were literally no options when Rice had it.
You can structure your team in any way. Rice is fantastic defensively everywhere. Keeping him deep isn't a problem per se. It's not ideal, but it's not a problem

Safetygate

"Dad, can we remove the safetygate, I'm 14 now"

"No son, you might fall."

Why is Southgate getting so much Southhate? Would you be so harsh in him if he were your Southmate? It's a tough time for him and elimination could seal his Southfate.

Also, you all must have noticed how he never gives any instructions or sorting out anything or going crazy relaying information during the match from the touchline. Just a bland, dour look, expressions of a clueless idiot who looks way out of his depth.

After the game a reporter asked if he's asking them to drop deep after they take the lead and he laughed in her face and said "no" like it's a ridiculous question but I have NEVER seen him tell the team to push up the pitch because they're too deep.

The guy is infuriating.

Why is Southgate getting so much Southhate? Would you be so harsh in him if he were your Southmate? It's a tough time for him and elimination could seal his Southfate.
Nice Southbait but the truth is it’s been 8 years and England still doesn’t look like winning anything with Southwait. Always delayed subs during the match, Always 2 steps behind with Southlate. Absolute cowardice football from him. He’s no leader of men, he’s no alpha, he’s a beta that Southtate.

Nice Southbait but the truth is it’s been 8 years and England still doesn’t look like winning anything with Southwait. Always delayed subs during the match, Always 2 steps behind with Southlate. Absolute cowardice football from him. He’s no leader of men, he’s no alpha, he’s a beta that Southtate.
:lol:

He’s beyond shite. He’s been by far the most successful manager of the England national team this century but I can completely understand why they want to replace him. I’d absolutely hate to seem him at United, he’s one of the least ambitious managers ever.

He’s beyond shite. He’s been by far the most successful manager of the England national team this century but I can completely understand why they want to replace him. I’d absolutely hate to seem him at United, he’s one of the least ambitious managers evergate.
A bit long winded but you got there.

Far beyond the terrible football, what makes me really dislike him is how he has treated United players over the years.

The absolute worst example of this was when he subbed on Rashford/Sancho for penalties in the Euros despite barely giving them a sniff all tournament. I wouldn't be astonished if he does the same to Mainoo this time around while we're in the process of crashing out.

I can't say for certain it was his decision (although he could have stopped it) but throwing Greenwood/Mainoo in front of the worlds media was irresponsible as well.

It goes all the way back to when he openly criticised Smalling for his passing skills. Just needless.

It will be a disgrace if he gets anywhere near the United job.

Are the both of you on a Southdate? He's a bit of a horseface after all..

He’s made his bed now is the time to lie in it. Just be thankful we don’t get him.

The worst England coach ever!!!

One of the best squads but he plays the most boring and negative football.

The worst England coach ever!!!

One of the best squads but he plays the most boring and negative football.
You're not allowed to say that, as he's taken us to a Euros final and a World Cup semi final (if you believe all the so called pundits).

he’s always been a coward. he’s just confirmed that he’s a shit coward.