Gareth Southgate

England didn’t need to win the game as boring as it is for all of us.
Chancing it on a draw is risky as all hell though. All Denmark needed was one goal to win the group and England would have been the ones playing Germany, and most likey Spain in the quarter final if they by some miracle managed to scrape through.

Gareth is a walking lucky charm, but playing for the win would have been a much better strategy than playing to avoid the loss. Finishing third might even be the second best outcome for them given the imbalance of the bracket, provided they get drawn against the winner of group E rather than Portugal.

If we ever somehow hired him, I don't know what to think about the club going forward.

He’s such a boring conservative manager and shouldn’t really be there now. But he definitely deserves more than having bottles thrown at him.

This was legit posted on Domino's UK social accounts:

He will have had one target: win the group. Target achieved. As painful as it is seeing top players so constrained under him, his pragmatism is the reason England have achieved better results at major tournaments under him. Yes I also think it’s part of the reason they lost the World Cup semi final and Euros final, but still…look at how managers before him did.

Nah, that really isn't the reason. Every single tournament under him you've had freak luck in terms of what groups you've ended up in, which side you end up on in the last 16. It's the luck of the dice. In 2018, the preferred finish in the group was 2nd to get the much easier route towards a potential final. You barely scraped past Colombia, which was followed by a match against Sweden, which was followed by losing against Croatia and then losing the third place play-off against Belgium. Would you have survived Belgiums route, who finished first in your group, and played Japan and Brazil before being knocked out by France?

The knockout stage in the Euro 2020, which i suppose is the official name, saw you play a very poor Germany side, Ukraine and then Denmark before you lost the final against Italy. Italy's road to the final was Austria, Belgium and Spain.

2022: Knocked out in the quarter finals because you met France.

That performance tonight was dominant and the options off the bench had a good impact. There was a real lack of cutting edge but it’s very difficult to break down a team defending the entire second half. Yes England have the quality to break them down, but Southgate is experienced at tournaments now and knows there’s no need to go for it so much when you’re sat top of the group. England didn’t need to win the game as boring as it is for all of us.

The performance tonight was dominant. Jesus. Lethargic, no urgency whatsoever, players looking completely lost sounds more like the display yesterday. It's fair that it's generally difficult to break down teams that only defend, but it's equally easy to dominate them..Englands place at the top of the group was only safe with an England win. A Denmark goal would've seen you scrambling to avoid having to play Germany, and being knocked out, in the next round.

If you look at so many recent tournament winners, Argentina, Italy, France, Portugal…they’ve all played far from swashbuckling stuff. Tournament football is about being pragmatic and turning it on when you need to. France won the 2018 World Cup with basically dirge stuff aside from a sensational 10 minutes against Argentina when they happened to find themselves 2-1 down.

I am reserving all judgement until the knockouts because as I said at the start, Southgate has achieved the only target he wanted to.

But you haven't turned it on when you've needed to. You've consistently won against poor sides followed by being knocked out at the first sight of a good opponent. This year doesn't look any different, but England yet again find themselves in a position where, given the players available, they really should be nailed on to reach the final.

His teams play as if he hates football.

The fact he was even rumored to manage us makes me sick. How can anyone think he's a good manager, he's complete useless. To make this england squad look as shit as they look hey must hand it to him that a pretty hard thing to achieve.

Top of the group mate. INEOS. IS. IMPRESSED.

Got knighted last year and now had plastic beer bottles thrown at him and booed?

The fact he was even rumored to manage us makes me sick. How can anyone think he's a good manager, he's complete useless. To make this england squad look as shit as they look hey must hand it to him that a pretty hard thing to achieve.

I don't think it's a surprise at all given that INEOS have kept ETH and are handing him a new contract after a FA cup win ignoring that we finished 8th in the league with a negative goal difference and his poor recruitment. They look at Southgate's resume and see a semi-final at the WC in his first go, he follows it up with a final at home in the Euros which they lost on penalties, a loss to France (the eventual finalist) in the Quarters in the '22 world cup and a likely semi-final or final in this one given the draw for England. They see a very successful British manager when they look at Southgate.

I hate the fact that Southgate is going to avoid Spain, France, Germany or Portugal until a potential final. It's yet again another fortuitous knockout schedule for Southgate to remonsttate that he made it to the semis or the final.
I too agree, we better hope we’ve dodged a bullet and he’s not coming to OT. I’ve had to stop watching England it’s so frustrating watching a talented side being fcuked by a manager who is totally inept at getting the best out of a very good squad.

The guy can walk on water it seems.

For someone that is utterly clueless, he has somehow managed to get and keep the England job for years, keeps getting favourable draws and gets constantly backed by the media and FA when he has virtually cost England at least one major tournament.

The sheer amount of mistakes he has already done in this group stage is bizarre to say the least and after all these mistakes and scoring only 2 goals he still tops the group and gets a favourable draw.

Every big tournament that comes around seems like groundhog day with him, you just see the same BS repeat itself every time.

I was told " fortune favours the brave " .. Southgate proves this is a complete myth.

I’ve been really surprised that the English pundits have decided to finally go in on him, because nothing much has changed compared to previous tournaments he’s managed in. Felt like I was living in a different dimension listening to them all praise him for all these years while all he has done is beaten all the teams he’s expected to and lost to anyone remotely on England’s level or above.

Hilarious that he likely reaches another semi or final because of lucky draws, and he may get to stay on even longer. England need to cut ties and get some success from this talented group.

The guy can walk on water it seems.

For someone that is utterly clueless, he has somehow managed to get and keep the England job for years, keeps getting favourable draws and gets constantly backed by the media and FA when he has virtually cost England at least one major tournament.

The sheer amount of mistakes he has already done in this group stage is bizarre to say the least and after all these mistakes and scoring only 2 goals he still tops the group and gets a favourable draw.

Every big tournament that comes around seems like groundhog day with him, you just see the same BS repeat itself every time.

I was told " fortune favours the brave " .. Southgate proves this is a complete myth.
Tbf to Southgate, his negative philosophy has worked so well for him, why would he change it now. If England play exactly as they are now, they should still be able to reach the final due to the individual quality they have. This would be seen as a successful England tenure for him.

Hilarious that he likely reaches another semi or final because of lucky draws, and he may get to stay on even longer. England need to cut ties and get some success from this talented group.

Counting chickens and all that? Looks likely that England will get the Netherlands and then Italy/Switzerland. These teams haven't looked amazing, but neither have England - those games are not walkovers.

There would be riots and pitchforks outside Old Trafford before he'd even signed the contract.

I love United but I would despair if this happened.

I would tune out of football for a few years until he got replaced. Seriously.

I’ve been really surprised that the English pundits have decided to finally go in on him, because nothing much has changed compared to previous tournaments he’s managed in. Felt like I was living in a different dimension listening to them all praise him for all these years while all he has done is beaten all the teams he’s expected to and lost to anyone remotely on England’s level or above.

There is something different this year though, there’s no benefit of the doubt left. Pundits know his limitations and know he’s had favourable draws. Given the squad he has they are finally being realistic with their expectations. Theres no excuses left.

I'm more concerned by the set up of the FA. Like, who are they? Who are they accountable to? What is their selection criteria for manager?

It's been evident since Russia that Southgate is overly negative, too late in making changes and too reliant on his favourites (Phillips ffs). But he got a couple free passes because he's good vibes FC and had some very fortunate draws.

England have a wealth of talent yet a manger who doesn't know how to use them. He should have been sacked a long time ago and the FA should have fecked off too.

Plenty has changed from previous tournaments.

World Cup 2018 we beat Tunisia and battered Panama, then went into the final group game against Belgium knowing full well that losing would put us on the more favourable side of the draw, with both sides rotating a fair bit. We then got past Colombia and Sweden en-route to the semi-final.

Euro 2020 we beat Croatia and Czech Republic (and became the first team to lose a game 0-0 when we played Scotland). We then beat Germany, battered Ukraine and beat Denmark en-route to the final.

World Cup 2022 we battered Iran and Wales, and drew with USA. We then battered Senegal.

This has been by far the worst group stage showing from England under Southgate, and they don't look remotely capable of beating anyone, let alone Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland or Austria.

Counting chickens and all that? Looks likely that England will get the Netherlands and then Italy/Switzerland. These teams haven't looked amazing, but neither have England - those games are not walkovers.
You're not wrong, they could lose against any of those teams for sure. I would be certain of them losing to 4 of the teams on the other side of the draw, though.

Feels a lot like Ole, where the expectations have caught up with the quality of the team and he can't quite adjust to that level. For what it's worth Ole is a better manager in my view.

This is probably the best ever England squad, the Golden generation maybe had better players but was way more unbalanced and lacking in depth (Darius Vassell first off the bench...). The only type of player the current team doesn't have is a deep lying playmaker, and really there's only about 5 good ones in the whole of world football.

It's entirely reasonable to expect 7 points from this group and a few goals and to let the likes of Mainoo, Palmer etc get a proper look at what they can do. Very hard to detect what Southgate actually wants to do. He's played 3 very different players as the 8, I'm pretty sure his primary motivation for bringing Mainoo on was so he didn't get further slaughtered in the press for playing Gallagher, not that he suddenly trusted or rated Kobbie.

Plenty has changed from previous tournaments.

World Cup 2018 we beat Tunisia and battered Panama, then went into the final group game against Belgium knowing full well that losing would put us on the more favourable side of the draw, with both sides rotating a fair bit. We then got past Colombia and Sweden en-route to the semi-final.

Euro 2020 we beat Croatia and Czech Republic (and became the first team to lose a game 0-0 when we played Scotland). We then beat Germany, battered Ukraine and beat Denmark en-route to the final.

World Cup 2022 we battered Iran and Wales, and drew with USA. We then battered Senegal.

This has been by far the worst group stage showing from England under Southgate, and they don't look remotely capable of beating anyone, let alone Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland or Austria.
9 of your 12 goals in 2018 were from pens or set pieces (and another was a freak deflection).

Euro 2020 you once again scored a whopping 2 goals in the group stage.

England have always had issues creating under Southgate, 2022 WC was an improvement in this regards, but smashing Wales, Iran and Senegal isn't overly impressive, is it?

It might be a little worse this time, but the pattern has been there for a long time, which is why I am surprised it's taken so long for the pundits to call it out.

Chancing it on a draw is risky as all hell though. All Denmark needed was one goal to win the group and England would have been the ones playing Germany, and most likey Spain in the quarter final if they by some miracle managed to scrape through.

Gareth is a walking lucky charm, but playing for the win would have been a much better strategy than playing to avoid the loss. Finishing third might even be the second best outcome for them given the imbalance of the bracket, provided they get drawn against the winner of group E rather than Portugal.

And Denmark had a moment where they could have scored late on if not for a brilliant clearance by a Serbian defender.

Nah, that really isn't the reason. Every single tournament under him you've had freak luck in terms of what groups you've ended up in, which side you end up on in the last 16. It's the luck of the dice. In 2018, the preferred finish in the group was 2nd to get the much easier route towards a potential final. You barely scraped past Colombia, which was followed by a match against Sweden, which was followed by losing against Croatia and then losing the third place play-off against Belgium. Would you have survived Belgiums route, who finished first in your group, and played Japan and Brazil before being knocked out by France?

The knockout stage in the Euro 2020, which i suppose is the official name, saw you play a very poor Germany side, Ukraine and then Denmark before you lost the final against Italy. Italy's road to the final was Austria, Belgium and Spain.

2022: Knocked out in the quarter finals because you met France.

The performance tonight was dominant. Jesus. Lethargic, no urgency whatsoever, players looking completely lost sounds more like the display yesterday. It's fair that it's generally difficult to break down teams that only defend, but it's equally easy to dominate them..Englands place at the top of the group was only safe with an England win. A Denmark goal would've seen you scrambling to avoid having to play Germany, and being knocked out, in the next round.

But you haven't turned it on when you've needed to. You've consistently won against poor sides followed by being knocked out at the first sight of a good opponent. This year doesn't look any different, but England yet again find themselves in a position where, given the players available, they really should be nailed on to reach the final.

He does get nerit forsome of the things he has done in terms of handling he press, bringing squad harmony etc.And I would disagree when peoplesay this is the best squad of players we have had as have been others in my opinion better that have failed......

But on whole I agree with a lotof what you are saying. We have had home advantage in a tournament andthelast timewehad that performances were better thanthe last under Southgate, he has had wonderful draws inknockout stagesand lost against goodbut nothuge sides in Croatia and Italy. France is the only big team hehas played and we wereabit unfortunate there.

But for me, if he was bolder in thagame, bolder in he las Euros....wecould have two trophies.

As for this tournament I think his starting taticsat the beginning of the tournament were atually good, just hampered without having Shawfor leftbackbuta right footed one....and looking unlikelyShaw even plays,yet he hasnt changed the problem, still playing the Foden problem. 3 friking years our best midfield available would be Rice/Bellingham/FOden....never played it and NOW simply doing that solves our midfield problem, the Fodenon left probleman and playing someoe like Gordonthere solves the Trippier problem.....its so fricking obvious yet we see Trent then Gallagher there not even Mainoo.

And his in game tatics are all so timid and/or too lae in games.

I do think we overhyped especiallythe attacking talent in this squad....but I do think there is a chanceof us going far with the right line up and utilising agoodbenchof options within the game if players arent performing.....but Southgate like other tournaments but far more this oneso far, is again showing why he should be nowhere nearmanagement of a top club side,evenwith a possiblygood draw AGAIN,I dont think we go beyond the quarters....and that falls on SOuthgate...as we should be going to at least the semis

Next game IMO has to be:

Pickford
Trent Guehi Stones Walker
Rice
Palmer Mainoo Bellingham Bowen
Watkins

Can't watch more of that shit. Should have taken Rashford or Sterling, criminal that Anthony Gordon should be your best natural left wing option at a major tournament. I do like Eze but he's not had time to work out his place in the side just yet for me.

Feels a lot like Ole, where the expectations have caught up with the quality of the team and he can't quite adjust to that level. For what it's worth Ole is a better manager in my view.

This is probably the best ever England squad, the Golden generation maybe had better players but was way more unbalanced and lacking in depth (Darius Vassell first off the bench...). The only type of player the current team doesn't have is a deep lying playmaker, and really there's only about 5 good ones in the whole of world football.

It's entirely reasonable to expect 7 points from this group and a few goals and to let the likes of Mainoo, Palmer etc get a proper look at what they can do. Very hard to detect what Southgate actually wants to do. He's played 3 very different players as the 8, I'm pretty sure his primary motivation for bringing Mainoo on was so he didn't get further slaughtered in the press for playing Gallagher, not that he suddenly trusted or rated Kobbie.
:( Ole is Rinus Michels next to Gareth Southgate, who is a literal bottom end of the Championship level manager, with no pisstaking or exaggeration.

9 of your 12 goals in 2018 were from pens or set pieces (and another was a freak deflection).

Euro 2020 you once again scored a whopping 2 goals in the group stage.

England have always had issues creating under Southgate, 2022 WC was an improvement in this regards, but smashing Wales, Iran and Senegal isn't overly impressive, is it?

It might be a little worse this time, but the pattern has been there for a long time, which is why I am surprised it's taken so long for the pundits to call it out.

There have obviously been concerns about England under Southgate that the pundits have previously brushed over, but this is England's worst group stage under him. They've won two games in each of the previous three tournament group stages, and at least in 2020 the wins came against a decent Croatia side and a Czech side that beat Netherlands in the knockouts.

This time, they've won just one game, by one goal, against the worst side in the group, with the team that finished third probably being the weakest of the third-placed finishers. The performances against Croatia and Czech Republic in Euro 2020 were controlled, even if the wins were by narrow margins, and Scotland played simply not to lose. The win against Serbia was ultimately quite fortunate as England were shit for 60 minutes of the match. They were similarly fortunate to hang on to the draw against Denmark.

It's quite obvious why the knives are out now. The football before might have been a bit dull, but at least it made sense and you could see the game plan. We've played two games with Trent Alexander-Arnold looking absolutely lost and three games with a front four that look to have received no specific direction on how they're supposed to play together.

I also didn't say that battering Wales and Iran was impressive, but it's certainly a far cry from what we served up against Serbia and Slovenia this time out, teams respectively ranked 32nd and 57th in the world (Wales were 19th, Iran 20th, for reference).

Ultimately, we all knew Southgate was on borrowed time this tournament, having fallen short against Croatia in 2018, in the final of the last Euros, and against France in 2022. I didn't really understand the rating of England as outright favourites going into this tournament, but the squad is also arguably stronger than its ever been. In the 2018 World Cup we were taking Danny Rose, Eric Dier, Jesse Lingard, Phil Jones, Fabian Delph, Danny Welbeck and Ruben-Loftus Cheek along, as well as Ashley Young as a left-back. This time, we've left out the likes of Harry Maguire, Ben Chilwell, James Maddison, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Jack Grealish and Marcus Rashford because it was felt we had better options.

He does get nerit forsome of the things he has done in terms of handling he press, bringing squad harmony etc.And I would disagree when peoplesay this is the best squad of players we have had as have been others in my opinion better that have failed......

The squad harmony stuff is fairly basic for me. If you don't have a good harmony in your squad then you either have some problematic players or you have a problem with the manager and you replace him.

In terms of the best squad of players ever, it's fairly irrelevant. The point is that you have a group of brilliant individual players in critical positions and they've been around for ages. England has pretty much had one of the worlds best strikers for the past 3 major tournaments. In terms of overall quality, you won't find many national teams with a better overall group. It also coincides with other national teams not being at full strength in this period, with a new generation of players replacing big names. Like Spain transitioning from Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso etc. Spain are now on the way up again, same with Germany. If you go back to Englands previous big name squads, it was at a time where you had some really tasty national teams, competition overall was bigger (not that England performed very well)

You have to take into account the timing. France is pretty much the only other side that has had a superior group of players in this period.

The more you hear from him, the more obvious it is that he's not the nice guy he's portrayed as.