Gareth Southgate

It will be interesting to see what he ends up doing after he is done with England.

Do you think he will go back to club management after decades of not having done it? I can't see too many big clubs being keen. Or will he perhaps take some higher-up administrative position in the FA?
He is set for life. The FA will find a position for him to pay him back for being a good soldier. No club above League one will take a chance on hime as he has proven himself to be outdated & out of touch with the modern game.

This guy is bluffer. Put ETH in his position and they would be somewhat decent. I hope the club understand the stupidity of ever having links to this guy.

I'm not by all means saying ETH is the answer to United, but Southgate is way off the earth to being the one anyway. Tic tacs, never mind tactics.

I don't disagree but we are definitely better than what Southgate make us look like. We've been the most clueless looking team in the tournament. Its the individual ability of the players that drags Southgate out of the gutter time and time again, in spite of his twattish method of diverting the blame back onto them every time he fecks up.
Clearly Southgate makes England worse than the sum of their parts through his tactics and team selection. It was an achievement to top the last hour's shite against Serbia with a full 90 minutes of it.
Just saying that personally I think we've had several way better England teams in my lifetime. But yep with the players available this team should be playing exciting attacking football, even if the defence is brittle.

Clearly Southgate makes England worse than the sum of their parts through his tactics and team selection. It was an achievement to top the last hour's shite against Serbia with a full 90 minutes of it.
Just saying that personally I think we've had several way better England teams in my lifetime. But yep with the players available this team should be playing exciting attacking football, even if the defence is brittle.
:lol: :mad:

Said it before, we can rest assure that Mainoo wouldn't be overplayed at Euro's. Not when Southgate in charge.

Although it's still too early to tell.

He was outcoached by Hjulmand and probably will by Spalleti, de la Fuente and never mind Nagelsmann. He better hope England gets Belgium so he gets the likes of Martinez.
Martinez isn't the Belgian manager anymore, he's with Portugal now

I have no love for Southgate, and mostly never want England to do well in these tournaments, but why aren't people point fingers at his team of coaches too?

I'm under the impression Southgate manages the team and sets the overall idea and culture etc., but the likes of Steve Holland, his assistant coach for a while never get criticism when people highlight the team's tactical inefficiencies. I'm assuming here that most of the tactical work will be done by that team of coaches. They are the ones who have failed Southgate more than anything.

I have no love for Southgate, and mostly never want England to do well in these tournaments, but why aren't people point fingers at his team of coaches too?

I'm under the impression Southgate manages the team and sets the overall idea and culture etc., but the likes of Steve Holland, his assistant coach for a while never get criticism when people highlight the team's tactical inefficiencies. I'm assuming here that most of the tactical work will be done by that team of coaches. They are the ones who have failed Southgate more than anything.
Does the manager not pick the coaches he wants to work with him and implement his vision? Buck stops with the manager.

Why does he keep talking about the players struggling to cope with the expectations of been one of the favourites for the tournament, and having meetings to help them deal with the intense scrutiny of playing in these tournaments for England.

Most of our players are seasoned pros at the top of the game, so is this really needed, and if it is then does he need to keep drawing attention to it?

I get the impression it Southgate that has been struggling to cope, and this fear is been passed onto the players and how they are playing.

Send him to City as punishment for the 115 charges. Kicked out of the football pyramid or Southgate as manager for next 10 years. Their choice.

He's totally fecked it this time though, sadly for England. Even the players look like they know it, add on the Kalvin Phillips comments and they must be close to packing their bags in advance.
Cruel and unusual punishment. Twisted. Even Asterisk City don’t deserve that!

Why does he keep talking about the players struggling to cope with the expectations of been one of the favourites for the tournament, and having meetings to help them deal with the intense scrutiny of playing in these tournaments for England.

Most of our players are seasoned pros at the top of the game, so is this really needed, and if it is then does he need to keep drawing attention to it?

I get the impression it Southgate that has been struggling to cope, and this fear is been passed onto the players and how they are playing.
Yeah it’s definitely projection. It’s been clear since day one that he’s got major imposter syndrome. In every tournament so far he’s managed to shift blame onto the players and then disingenuously and unironically followed up with “but it’s my job to shelter them from that”.

Yeah it’s definitely projection. It’s been clear since day one that he’s got major imposter syndrome. In every tournament so far he’s managed to shift blame onto the players and then disingenuously and unironically followed up with “but it’s my job to shelter them from that”.
The likely correct take. I'm just surprised it's taken this long for the english public to turn on him.

He really would have needed that win against Italy back in the day. Dechamps gets largely away with his super pragmatic approach - which at least made them extremely stable hence getting results, so it’s a bit similar to Southgate - since he won a big title at one point.

The man failed to get the England U21s past the group stage on two successive World championships and then falls upwards into the England main job.

Make it make sense. That's Kompany level of luck.

It's pathetic isn't it. It's a squad of well paid, successful and hardworking professionals, and Southgate thinks they can't handle the pressure of playing against Denmark?! In a group they'd really struggle to not get out of?

Way to lower expectations. Loser mindset.

One of the favourites and the England team supposedly can't deal with the expectations is not a good sign.

Yeah i pretty much agree. I don't think we've ever had a team that's genuinely as good as any other at a major tournament, barring around Euro 2004.

I do think this is probably the best crop of players since then though. Or certainly a lot better than some of whats been available in between. Southgate has never had the dilemma of whether to pick Andy Carroll or Danny Welbeck, or whether to gamble on the fitness of Gareth fecking Barry.

The worst thing that happened for England was him getting to the finals of the last Euros. England had to do next to nothing to get there and its basically given Southgate a 4 year licence to be as awful as he wants.

I see him in the same category as Ole. Did well at first because he inherited a mess and brought in some positivity and freshness....but then once that wore off and it came down to actual managerial pedigree, there isn't really any.

Only real difference for me is Ole is actually likeable and also owned responsibility for the team's performances. I find Southgate insufferable and every time England don't get the job done it's self preservation excuses and subvertly calling his players shite. I think he's a complete bellend.

One of the favourites and the England team supposedly can't deal with the expectations is not a good sign.
It’s also bollocks. Pure projection from a man who knows the spotlight is intensely on him to do something with the vast array of talent at his disposal.

He’s been shown up time and time again as clueless and lacking any sort of ideas. He’ll never be a coach as long as he has a hole in his arse.

I know it’s international football and you don’t get to work with the players a lot but his limitations tactically it’s amazing how he stayed in the job for so long. Just thinking of his Phillips comment and his experimenting in the group stage is astonishing.

The good news is his awful tenure is about to come to an end. It won't matter one bit even if the team gets to the semis.

If that was his concern wouldn't the obvious solution be to use Stones as a defensive midfielder, given he's actually played there often for City? Rather than Arnold who's barely ever played there? Konsa Guehi as a CB pairing would be fine with Stones in front as DM.
what difference would that make? England need someome good at moving the ball forward in midfield

what difference would that make? England need someome good at moving the ball forward in midfield

They need someone who can receive the ball out of defense, turn, and move it forward. And well, Pep says Stones can so...

I know it’s international football and you don’t get to work with the players a lot but his limitations tactically it’s amazing how he stayed in the job for so long. Just thinking of his Phillips comment and his experimenting in the group stage is astonishing.
It really is amazing how bad he is.

Martinez isn't the Belgian manager anymore, he's with Portugal now
Here’s a question… who would you rather have… Roberto Martínez a failure at Everton & Belgium vs Southgate a failure at Middlesbrough & England?

Here’s a question… who would you rather have… Roberto Martínez a failure at Everton & Belgium vs Southgate a failure at Middlesbrough & England?
What's that got to do with me correcting that other post?

Say the name of the English attacking players out loud, think about the seasons they've just had individually and then look at this. Cheers, Gareth.

mrurdswbu68d1.jpeg

Also, you all must have noticed how he never gives any instructions or sorting out anything or going crazy relaying information during the match from the touchline. Just a bland, dour look, expressions of a clueless idiot who looks way out of his depth.

Also, you all must have noticed how he never gives any instructions or sorting out anything or going crazy relaying information during the match from the touchline. Just a bland, dour look, expressions of a clueless idiot who looks way out of his depth.
Because he's busy doing more important stuff:

resize

They need someone who can receive the ball out of defense, turn, and move it forward. And well, Pep says Stones can so...
Does he? He says a lot of shit. He also said De Bruyne was the best player he coached(Messi doesn't count) two weeks into his City stint

And they have Rodri. Rice is great, can do a lot of things really well, he's not very good at receiving on the turn and moving it forward