Gareth Southgate

Comically bad coach. And an incredibly dull and uninspiring personality.

Honestly the team selection and subs were baffling yesterday.

Foden and TAA were terrible in the first game out of their natural positions but still started against Denmark.

Then in the game he brought on Gallagher when we needed someone to control the midfield which Mainoo could have done. He then replaced our entire front three with Eze (who I like as a player) , Watkins and Bowen. That was a huge drop off in quality.

Why didn't he bring on Palmer instead of Bowen? Southgate's decisions are bafflingly bad.

1-0 and 1-1 are the most England-coded results I have ever seen. We are the least exciting team to watch at the Euros with arguably the most talented squad. That should tell you all you need to know about Gareth’s managerial prowess.

He's a politician, his biggest accomplishment is convincing middle England and part-time football watchers that he's a world-class coach.

It is terrifying that this clown was considered instead of Ten Hag

Feeling sorry for the national team. Most talented generation -- wasted
That's said about every generation, yet we have no left side, a very sketchy defence, and light in central midfield. Feels like England teams always miss a key cog that means a player(s) playing out of position which throws off the whole balance.

He's a politician, his biggest accomplishment is convincing middle England and part-time football watchers that he's a world-class coach.
I've never heard his name and world classed used together. At most some people think he's done a decent job for reaching semis and a final. The pundits finally turned last night though, so hope the FA finally listen and can any contract extension talk.

That's said about every generation, yet we have no left side, a very sketchy defence, and light in central midfield. Feels like England teams always miss a key cog that means a player(s) playing out of position which throws off the whole balance.

The same goes for the vast majority of, if not all, national teams.

Well the reality is that he had better results than his predecessors just by playing cautions and defensive football. He won't steer away from that.
The simple fact that he is using 3 RB's in the starting 11 and Foden out of position does not help one bit.
I'm curios if, with this stubbornness, he will continue to do so in the following games.
If England played defensive football against Serbia and Denmark, just imagine how would they play against Spain or Germany.

I've never heard his name and world classed used together. At most some people think he's done a decent job for reaching semis and a final. The pundits finally turned last night though, so hope the FA finally listen and can any contract extension talk.

Someone told me yesterday that he is Englands most successful manager…

Sorry, people are jumping on this too quickly. How's he expected to play decent football without a fit Luke Shaw at left back? White text..

Sir Waist Coat is really an abomination. He is team is loaded with players who play football under some of the most progressive managers in world football and yet he decides to adopt a style of football which relegation teams in 2004 used to play. But, it's still likely that England will top the group and somehow this will be acceptable. People will point to that and chastise anyone who can see that it would be tough to win a tournament playing this way when there are other teams with good players who play a very progressive style of winning football. Not tough to see why he is the cynosure of Brailsford, Ashworth and co's eyes.

Sorry, people are jumping on this too quickly. How's he expected to play decent football without a fit Luke Shaw at left back? White text..
Take a left back who hasn't been in the hospital for 6 months. He can't use that excuse.

It's stands out that we subbed on Bowen, Watkins and Eze in attack to change the game, whilst Rashford, Grealish, and Sterling didn't even make the plane.

Don't get me wrong theyre all fine players and individually all worthy of selection ahead of those I mentioned, but none have experience of CL football or competing for major trophies. As a collective it seems wrong. I suspect one or two more experienced players may have better helped to set or change the tone.

Yeah, I can understand why they didn't make it. Dreadful seasons all round. But Cole Palmer and Kobbie Mainoo are just sat there.

Look how he manages a golden generation, a team stacked with talent in every position. Imagine at United how he’d do!

Amazing seeing the English media and a good chunk of the support only wake up to him now :lol:

He's always been like this. Results masked. (Should have been beaten in the last 16 and QF's in 2018, Got to the final in 2021 sure but benefited from all the games bar one being in Wembley then proceeded to feck it away in the final) 2022 was probably about right

It's shocking the INEOS seem to think he's a legit and leading candidate for United

Amazing seeing the English media and a good chunk of the support only wake up to him now :lol:

He's always been like this. Results masked. (Should have been beaten in the last 16 and QF's in 2018, Got to the final in 2021 sure but benefited from all the games bar one being in Wembley then proceeded to feck it away in the final) 2022 was probably about right

It's shocking the INEOS seem to think he's a legit and leading candidate for United

Agreed, he’s been shit since day one. Also 2021 saw us make ridiculously hard work of Denmark in the semis and an easy game vs Ukraine. Germany were better than us for 60 mins until Gareth decided to finally not be scared and throw on an in-form Grealish, who turned it around.

It’s painful listening to pundits assume the country backs Southgate (pre-Denmark, they seem to be waking up now). I’d honestly be horrified if he was United manager, be a fecking nightmare.

I can deal with simple tactics and a cautious - or even unimaginative - approach since it can get the job done at this level of football. But he has really lost the plot this time around.

You look at the average positions of the players on the pitch and the picture doesn't make any sense at all, no matter how hard you try. Four players in the defensive half and the other six just above the highway line. A concrete block that offers very little on the ball. Kane drops deep. Foden also drops deep and Saka hugs the touchline... Who's attacking the box?

And what's that with taking the entire frontline off in one go? Only in summer friendlies. It looked so bad, not just because it didn't work out, but because in the last 15-20 minutes all the ref was missing was a St. George's flag to wrap around his shoulders. We shall see how it goes. Southgate's tactical twin may also be in a tough spot, if Mbappe isn't ready to provide the team a threat with his driving runs .

He clearly has no idea how to manage a talented group of players. Sometimes, when you have such attacking talent in the 10, you have to change formation to suit. Germany have done it, to accommodate Wirtz and Musiala, instead he sticks to an unbalanced squad.

If you are not going to play Watkins, Gordon, Saka front 3, there is no need for Trent because his biggest asset is long passes. TAA has never shown he can play in midfield, when we have 2 CM's who have played there this season.

I mean Mainoo has held United's midfield and showed his class on the ball in number of games, how he can't get in when we need control is beyond me.

Someone told me yesterday that he is Englands most successful manager…

Isn't that Big Sam? Won every game he managed. A quick look up in wikipedia suggests Capello actually (at ~66% win ratio) has a better record than him (~60% win ratio). Ramsey, Hoddle, Eriksson, Hodgson are all around Southgate's level as well, Probably has less to do with manager and more to do with the strength of the England squad during those eras.

Isn't that Big Sam? Won every game he managed. A quick look up in wikipedia suggests Capello actually (at ~66% win ratio) has a better record than him (~60% win ratio). Ramsey, Hoddle, Eriksson, Hodgson are all around Southgate's level as well, Probably has less to do with manager and more to do with the strength of the England squad during those eras.

And tournament draws. Especially in 2018 and 2020. With the exception of Hodgson I reckon those managers all take us as deep, if not further, in the tournaments Southgate has overseen.

World class team with a Sunday League manager. I said from the beginning that England had that one good tournament as a one off. What a waste

Squad selection is all wrong. Instead of picking players who have played well for England previously he’s trying to shoehorn in form PL players into the team same as every team the previous England manager. He’s also sackless tactically.
Bowen, Gallagher and Eze looked comically out of their depth to my eyes.

I am not sure I understand your comment about midfield?

Southgate could be playing midfield of Bellingham, Mainoo, Rice - arguably the dream midfield, but instead chooses to play TAA out of position, instead of Mainoo, for literally no reason. It is his bizarre choice, not real problem, no?

He was also the one who chose to take injured Luke Shaw as Lb and leave Brantwaithr home in CB position. Otherwise defense could have been far better.

Not to mention his impotent or non-existent style of play? If England played more attacking style, defense wouldn't matter that much anyway. Score 3 and them scoring 1 is still win by two

All of his "problems" are Southgate's own making, in my humble opinion

Look how he manages a golden generation, a team stacked with talent in every position. Imagine at United how he’d do!
People talk about this squad as if it was 1970 Brazil and I don't see it personally. Are we really 'stacked with talent' on the left side, at CB, GK and CM? ST depth is also weak - Watkins and Toney are solid but no way world class.

I am not sure I understand your comment about midfield?

Southgate could be playing midfield of Bellingham, Mainoo, Rice - arguably the dream midfield, but instead chooses to play TAA out of position, instead of Mainoo, for literally no reason. It is his bizarre choice, not real problem, no?

He was also the one who chose to take injured Luke Shaw as Lb and leave Brantwaithr home in CB position. Otherwise defense could have been far better.

Not to mention his impotent or non-existent style of play? If England played more attacking style, defense wouldn't matter that much anyway. Score 3 and them scoring 1 is still win by two

All of his "problems" are Southgate's own making, in my humble opinion
I'm not defending him, I just think people massively overrate what we have. I'd rather have Bellingham, Mainoo, Rice, but I'm sceptical it's a panacea. England has never been a decent possession team and can see midfield still getting overrun.

Shaw's easily our LB, so obvious why he took the gamble- we don't know how fit he is. Not sure Branthwaite is a big upgrade on Guehi, who I think has been ok.

The shit tactics is a whole other thing and why Southgate should be sacked.

Bowen, Gallagher and Eze looked comically out of their depth to my eyes.

Agreed, I said the same to my mate about Eze. I really like the look of him for Palace but he’s like one of those good players for a smaller team who gets a run out in a couple of friendlies and looks massively out of their depth.
Gallagher looked terrified of putting a foot in once he got a yellow and Bowen is a bit of a headless chicken. feck knows what players like Palmer and Mainoo must think.

Something that has been bugging me and kinda just occurred to me is that there has been a real paradigm shift in international football with teams playing more expansive, attacking football bringing it inline with club football.

So while it is well trodden ground that Southgate has one of the best attacks in the competition, he is choosing to play international football as it was played a decade ago at a time where it wouldn’t be considered naive to opt to take the breaks off and try to win games 3-1 or 4-2 rather than 1-0.

Something that has been bugging me and kinda just occurred to me is that there has been a real paradigm shift in international football with teams playing more expansive, attacking football bringing it inline with club football.

So while it is well trodden ground that Southgate has one of the best attacks in the competition, he is choosing to play international football as it was played a decade ago at a time where it wouldn’t be considered naive to opt to take the breaks off and try to win games 3-1 or 4-2 rather than 1-0.

I can see what you are trying to say, but almost exactly 10 years ago Germany beat Brazil 7-1... I don't remember national teams ever holding back on winning big, when they had great attackers, which England clearly does currently. Especially would never happen at group stage. I am afraid, it's all Southgate being an idiot, mate

I can see what you are trying to say, but almost exactly 10 years ago Germany beat Brazil 7-1... I don't remember national teams ever holding back on winning big, when they had great attackers, which England clearly does currently. Especially would never happen at group stage. I am afraid, it's all Southgate being an idiot, mate
That’s an anecdote. All but maybe 3 matches this competition have been attacking chaotic matches where the best attacking side has won. That’s a culture shift in international football which used to be cagey, tumescent affairs