Gareth Southgate

If Safegate does ever come to United we’re in serious trouble. Arguably the best attacking force in world football presently yet still can’t score. The last 3 games have been very painful and frustrating to watch. This is the best English side ( on paper ) I’ve seen since the World Cup in 66.

It hurts to say in some ways but the truth is if Pep or Klopp was in charge not only would we have a bag full of goals we won of had 2 wins already in this competition. The only saving grace is the Euro’s (( hopefully )) got in the way of coming to OT.

As someone who was vehemently wanting us to sack ETH, if Southgate is the one they choose I’d probably just quit watching :lol:

Imagine our manager saying that he's gonna play Dalot in CM because we don't have a natural replacement for Fred.

Fecking hell

One of Southgate's 'strong points' so to speak, was that he was a risk averse manager and set his teams up in a way that makes them defensively solid, but moves like this threaten even that facet of his management

Hot take:

Dalot at CM would make far more sense than Trent there. At least Dalot is two footed, comfortable on the ball and taking it past defenders, and is a workhorse off the ball.

Trent is a world class creator from RB but he’s never had a particularly robust engine, doesn’t dribble well, and prefers his right foot much more than his left. Southgate literally thinks he can play there because “he can shoot and is a great passer so that surely must be a CM”

We're missing Kalvin Phillips! :lol::lol::lol:

Must really not rate Mainoo then
Southgate is missing the deep lying play maker Kalvin Philips before he joined City. If that K.P pair with Rice + Foden or Bellingham in front the midfield will be a lot more balance.

I just assumed the quotes was someone taking the piss out of Southgate. Him actually saying that is utter bonkers.

Also: When you’re at the group stages of the Euros, and you’ve known for quite some time that Kalvin isn’t an alternative, it’s a bit fecking late for experiments in midfield.

He is wasting good generation. Some countries would kill for talents like this.
I know its not popural, but England should aprouch to Klopp.
He loves England, and he look like is tired of club management.

It's stands out that we subbed on Bowen, Watkins and Eze in attack to change the game, whilst Rashford, Grealish, and Sterling didn't even make the plane.

Don't get me wrong theyre all fine players and individually all worthy of selection ahead of those I mentioned, but none have experience of CL football or competing for major trophies. As a collective it seems wrong. I suspect one or two more experienced players may have better helped to set or change the tone.

I think that sums up the mentality. England with this manager don't want to be favourites for the tournament, they don't want the expectations. They want to sneak in, be the underdog and win it with pragmatic football and the football style reflects that. Despite all the gloom and doom, if the route to the final is easy i can see them going pretty far if they keep it together and have a bit of luck but it's all very uninspiring.

Even if he wins the tournament with this type of football I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near United.

Southgate is missing the deep lying play maker Kalvin Philips before he joined City. If that K.P pair with Rice + Foden or Bellingham in front the midfield will be a lot more balance.

He didnt make play. He was a water carrier who just recylced the ball, keeping it moving. An average midfielder. If Mainoo or Gallagher cant do that they are poor players

He is wasting good generation. Some countries would kill for talents like this.
I know its not popural, but England should aprouch to Klopp.
He loves England, and he look like is tired of club management.
Interesting suggestion poster. But imagine trying to get that rabble we saw today playing heavy metal football, etc

Southgate. Seems a nice enough fellow. He reminds of a first year you’d come across on the first day in a new school. Impressive in an earnest way, but a bit shocked by all the swearing and sweaty socks.

Why do the English press love Southgate so much. Currently watching two of them on SSN ask whether we should not pick arguably the world’s best current striker in the next match. Clearly Kane being shit is the reason England are rubbish. Get Ollie Watkins in and Gareth will have us playing like prime Brazil.

It's stands out that we subbed on Bowen, Watkins and Eze in attack to change the game, whilst Rashford, Grealish, and Sterling didn't even make the plane.

Don't get me wrong theyre all fine players and individually all worthy of selection ahead of those I mentioned, but none have experience of CL football or competing for major trophies. As a collective it seems wrong. I suspect one or two more experienced players may have better helped to set or change the tone.
Better options are still available though. Palmer and Gordon for example... I guarantee Bowen was picked for a higher defensive workrate :rolleyes:

Trippier offers nothing going forward at left back, no balance; why not try Gomez (played there all season). Change the formation etc... Wouldn't have even entered his mind.

Agree with this, and Maddison too. Grealish and Rashford could come on as subs and make something happen, Maddison could be a starter, Southgate is a prat

It is terrifying that this clown was considered instead of Ten Hag

Feeling sorry for the national team. Most talented generation -- wasted

Agree with this, and Maddison too. Grealish and Rashford could come on as subs and make something happen, Maddison could be a starter, Southgate is a prat
Maddison could be a starter for Rwanda maybe but not for England. He’s not the reason we atr shite.

Honestly, if there's any sort of serious smoke regarding him getting the job here I hope and expect that the fans cause such an immediate stink that the club has to pull the plug on their plans.

Better options are still available though. Palmer and Gordon for example... I guarantee Bowen was picked for a higher defensive workrate :rolleyes:

Trippier offers nothing going forward at left back, no balance; why not try Gomez (played there all season). Change the formation etc... Wouldn't have even entered his mind.

Yes Southgate has a very rigid style and decision making process, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Bizarrely, he has somehow managed to get more rigid and more conservative the longer he's been in the role. It should be the opposite - he has a better squad than his first few years, and being longer in the role he should have less fear. When he first took over the style was more front footed, and he even played a quite daring 5122 with two #10s in Lingard and Alli. He now has a plethora of better #10s at his disposal and he seemingly doesn't have a clue what to do with them.

Anyone else feel like the Southgate era has been utterly forgettable? I can remember a lot of the results but the games themselves I'd struggle to tell you anything that happened, who scored the goals etc.

They're just so consistently boring. Feels like almost every game ends up being 1-0. 1-1 or 2-0.

I think sacking him immediately wouldn't hurt , they're not going to win the thing with him in charge so might as well take the risk.

I think sacking him immediately wouldn't hurt , they're not going to win the thing with him in charge so might as well take the risk.
Whether he'd want to manage a nation that's not his own is another question but Tuchel (an excellent cup manager) is literally sitting at home.

“I wouldn’t entertain speaking to anybody else when I’m in the job” Gareth Southgate.

Still not sure how you think that’s him claiming to have refused an interview.

It’s the exact same answer he could give instead of a yes or no if asked the question “have you been interviewed for *****”.

Gareth wouldn’t say “no I haven’t”, every stupid thing that comes out of his mouth sounds like a politician. It’s exactly the “no” answer I’d expect from him and vice versa.

I think how terrible a manager he is has been masked by wonderful players and nearly half a century of under achieving and disappointment.

He’s the highest paid national manager in the euros and probably the worst. I’m not English but it’s a disgraceful waste of talent - bring in any decent manager Wenger, Klopp, Pep even Potter or Ten Hag would be an improvement. This team should be winning the next World Cup. Still possible to get a long way in the euros but if you do it’s despite Southgate. He’s not a confident winning manager that gets the best from talent.

I think he's fecking done. Unless he pulls the trophy out of his arse, he's finished. Although the FA do reward mediocrity.

I think that sums up the mentality. England with this manager don't want to be favourites for the tournament, they don't want the expectations. They want to sneak in, be the underdog and win it with pragmatic football and the football style reflects that. Despite all the gloom and doom, if the route to the final is easy i can see them going pretty far if they keep it together and have a bit of luck but it's all very uninspiring.

Even if he wins the tournament with this type of football I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near United.
Tells you all you need to know about Southgate....he doesn't have the bottle to lead this team and handle pressure

Hot take:

Dalot at CM would make far more sense than Trent there. At least Dalot is two footed, comfortable on the ball and taking it past defenders, and is a workhorse off the ball.

Trent is a world class creator from RB but he’s never had a particularly robust engine, doesn’t dribble well, and prefers his right foot much more than his left. Southgate literally thinks he can play there because “he can shoot and is a great passer so that surely must be a CM”

Maybe he is a genius as same as Pep's tactic at Bayern, put Lahm into DM position

Sir Gareth’s plan is proceeding beautifully. He’s lulled all of you into a false sense of doom - and - he’s lulled all England’s opponents into thinking they are pushovers. Sir Gareth of Waistcoat is going to unleash his fiendish tactical acumen in the next match, where England will become a fearsome juggernaut. Weep, mere mortals, weep!

Stunned to hear his post match interview comments regarding Kalvin Phillips. He’s been out of the picture for 2 years yet he decides in a tournament to experiment!

He’s got a few options. Play a natural CM and LW in Mainoo or Gallagher over TAA and Gordon over Foden.

Remove TAA, drop Bellingham into that position and play Foden as a 10. Not sure this would work again better opposition mind.

Play 3-5-2 with TAA and Gordon as wingbacks.

Why is he making up a new quarter back type role for TAA in midfield. If you’re going to do that surely play a natural LW who wants to get in behind the defence. Ironically that’s Rashford’s strength.

He was outcoached by Hjulmand and probably will by Spalleti, de la Fuente and never mind Nagelsmann. He better hope England gets Belgium so he gets the likes of Martinez.

Could you name me a team that has 4 better( forward/striker players line up than Kane/Foden/Palmer/Saka ? Ive never said I’d write them off, how can you with that team? They’re just painful to watch because it’s clear Safegate can’t get the best out of them at the moment.
Euro 96 had Shearer, Sheringham, Gazza, McManaman. 2006 Rooney, Beckham, Scholes, Owen. Palmer has had a good season and has potential but hasn't done anything on the international stage as yet.