Gareth Southgate

I would get a lifetime-ban on this forum if i would say my feelings about Southgate.

But the big problem is also the english press because they still like him.....Eriksson or Capello would have been killed with thousand of words on TV and in the newspapers.

If Safegate does ever come to United we’re in serious trouble. Arguably the best attacking force in world football presently yet still can’t score. The last 3 games have been very painful and frustrating to watch. This is the best English side ( on paper ) I’ve seen since the World Cup in 66.

It hurts to say in some ways but the truth is if Pep or Klopp was in charge not only would we have a bag full of goals we won of had 2 wins already in this competition. The only saving grace is the Euro’s (( hopefully )) got in the way of coming to OT.

I'd say that's very arguable. We do have a tendency to over rate our players and league in comparison to other nations. We are frequently found wanting at both club and international level. That's not to say we're not good enough to be competing

What is clear is that he's extremely over cautious in both tactics and selection. In his defence that approach has been very successful for the likes of France, Croatia and Southgate himself. I'm not particularly defending him but it's not necessarily a bad thing to build in to a tournament and find solutions as you go. It doesn't look like that is likely at the moment but I wouldn't write England off yet.

No natural replacement for Phillips? He's right, there is currently nobody in this England squad who can play 90mins and do absolutely feck all but give the ball away, mis time tackles, mis place passes, and get knackered quick.

We're going to get a bumming of epic proportions, been in the oven for many many years. One of Spain, Germany or France etc will smash us.

We're going to get a bumming of epic proportions, been in the oven for many many years. One of Spain, Germany or France etc will smash us.
Maybe but football is a funny game and maybe just maybe we have sorted our shite out by then… probably not mind.

I could never understand how he got the job in the first place.

England are just wasting one of the best sqauds they might have in a decades, because they are too stubborn to admit what is so glaringly obvious.
That's the sad bit for a neutral, england actually have great players. A good manager would make them play exciting football. Instead we see england score and then invite the opponent to attack. Small club mentality

Championship level manager at best. Kalvin Phillips? Really?

Championship level manager at best. Kalvin Phillips? Really?
If I'm not mistaken, Phillips hadn't played a single minute of PL football before he was thrust into the team.

Southgate ignores Mainoo after a stellar (half) season in the PL, proving his worth against various world class opponents in the middle of the park. He's an imbecile.

It is bizarre that England only have one CM/DM of any note at all.

But Southgate won the lottery with the late emergance of Mainoo and the kid is just sitting on the bench. And when he does bring him on it's in the 10 position.

Clueless.

He has stayed a tournament too long. If he had left with his record, there would still be doubts over his ability as a manager and he could have cashed in with at least one decent contract before he was found out.

This will be the tournament where he is turned on though. Horrible, cautious tactics mixed with a fan base who think their team is much better than it is. He is cooked.

anyone still southgate in should be on the next plane to rwanda.

The balance of the team is all wrong. It’s the managers fault. He should’ve gone after the last tournanebt

Southgate is a fool for saying that comment. Phillips was a solid player for England but wasn’t spectacular and was not a key player either.

Southgate is a fool for saying that comment. Phillips was a solid player for England but wasn’t spectacular and was not a key player either.

you could have stopped after the first four words.

I'd say that's very arguable. We do have a tendency to over rate our players and league in comparison to other nations. We are frequently found wanting at both club and international level. That's not to say we're not good enough to be competing

What is clear is that he's extremely over cautious in both tactics and selection. In his defence that approach has been very successful for the likes of France, Croatia and Southgate himself. I'm not particularly defending him but it's not necessarily a bad thing to build in to a tournament and find solutions as you go. It doesn't look like that is likely at the moment but I wouldn't write England off yet.
Could you name me a team that has 4 better( forward/striker players line up than Kane/Foden/Palmer/Saka ? Ive never said I’d write them off, how can you with that team? They’re just painful to watch because it’s clear Safegate can’t get the best out of them at the moment.

Should have gone right for Wenger when he retired.

Wenger wins 2 Euros with this squad.

Imagine our manager saying that he's gonna play Dalot in CM because we don't have a natural replacement for Fred.

Fecking hell

One of Southgate's 'strong points' so to speak, was that he was a risk averse manager and set his teams up in a way that makes them defensively solid, but moves like this threaten even that facet of his management