Gareth Southgate

Respectable performance vs Switzerland, and i reckon he stays on another tournament.

Curse or blessing?

I don’t know if he’s more shit or more lucky. I think probably lucky because he’s poxxed his way through easy groups and qualifying throughout his England career, but my god is he shit.

Shudder at the thought that Dan Ashworth thinks Southgate is a good manager. God forbid this idiot ever takes over at United. Worse than Moyes.

If Sven was as lucky as him, the ‘golden generation’ would have won a trophy.

If Sven was as lucky as him, the ‘golden generation’ would have won a trophy.

100% - Forget the fixtures, Kane's never been injured for him. Imagine Rooney being fit for both 2004 and 2006

As Bellingham scored that equaliser, I was about to hit send on a post saying I felt bad for England fans to be taking one for the team, but that this was the best thing that could possibly happen for us.

Crashing out to Slovakia would’ve destroyed any chance of him ever becoming United manager whereas limping to another “heroic” semi final shootout defeat keeps him in with a chance.

The fact that he was on the list at all says a lot about INEOS
I was hoping that was just a distraction whilst we talked to better candidates. They seem to know what they’re doing. They’ve hired the right people behind the scenes and are about to bring Ruud back and hire another Dutch coach.

Think this late win is what England needed, maybe they'll wake up and change things around because if they don't, Swiss will destroy them.

Saka went from right wing to left back to right back then we sit back as usual trying to defend a 2-1 lead against the mighty Slovakia.

Last edited:
If somebody can think of a luckier manager I'd love to hear it.

On the other side of the draw England world be annihilated. On this side of the draw they're probably making the final.

got all the making of a Man Utd manager, winning despite not playing well, scoring from their only 2 shots, Shaw injured

On the other side of the draw England world be annihilated. On this side of the draw they're probably making the final.

Don't England always find themselves on this side of the draw under Southgate? Perhaps its all part of the plan.

why was Mainoo taken off?

fully expect he’ll be dropped vs Switzerland

He looked shattered for a good ten minutes prior to coming off.

It’s not a surprise - he’s still developing physically and rarely finishes games for United either.

Not without a massive turnaround in selection, tactics and performance. Switzerland or Austria would’ve beaten Slovakia by 3 or 4 goals tonight. Holland or Romania would’ve beaten them too.

Watching England play under Safegate is like having your teeth out with no anaesthetic then ending up with Turkey teeth. :D :D :D

Don't England always find themselves on this side of the draw under Southgate? Perhaps its all part of the plan.

Here are the teams he's had to play in knockouts.

Colombia
Sweden
Croatia
Ukraine
Germany
Denmark
Senegal
France
Slovakia
Switzerland
Probably Austria if they win that

Meanwhile Sven seemed to get either Brazil or Portugal every time.

Colombia
Sweden
Croatia
Ukraine
Germany
Denmark
Senegal
France
Slovakia
Switzerland

And that Germany was the worst germany in ages. Southgate just a lucky guy that he hasn't played against good sides who have talent level to compete with England's talent level so he was never embarrassed in a tournament. He'd be out at first asking against a good team..

Until recently, Southgate's England has put in some decent performances under his tenure. We've not often been pretty to watch, and our biggest failing has been throwing the towel in against decent oppo at every tournament, ie Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France. But this time round, we're not even looking good against the so-called lesser teams. I think there's an expectation at FA HQ that he needs to win this one, and he's playing so cautiously to protect that... but he's taking all the enjoyment out of the game for the players and the fans. I hate watching England at the minute. Genuinely the worst team to watch in this tournament. And that's criminal given the talent at his disposal.

No doubt he'll start with the same 11 against the Swiss.

Until recently, Southgate's England has put in some decent performances under his tenure. We've not often been pretty to watch, and our biggest failing has been throwing the towel in against decent oppo at every tournament, ie Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France. But this time round, we're not even looking good against the so-called lesser teams. I think there's an expectation at FA HQ that he needs to win this one, and he's playing so cautiously to protect that... but he's taking all the enjoyment out of the game for the players and the fans. I hate watching England at the minute. Genuinely the worst team to watch in this tournament. And that's criminal given the talent at his disposal.

No doubt he'll start with the same 11 against the Swiss.

He’ll probably drop Mainoo for Eze.

Colombia
Sweden
Croatia
Ukraine
Germany
Denmark
Senegal
France
Slovakia
Switzerland

And they lost to France and Croatia while beating Germany at Wembley who were terrible. Genuinely has not won a single knockout game against an equal or superior opponent.

Respectable performance vs Switzerland, and i reckon he stays on another tournament.

Curse or blessing?

Thought he'd already suggested he'd be off either way after this tournament? Maybe I imagined that.

But it seems clear this will be his last tournament.

That guy having a team of Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Saka and Palmer (who he refuse to use), only managed to score 2 goals in group stage. That’s mediocrity!

He reminds me of Reinaldo Rueda, the previous coach at Colombian NT, who focused more on “having the zero” (having no goals scored against), than on having his team score goals.

You deserve better! But knowing your federation, they will probably replace Southgate with the equally inept Harry Potter.

Last edited: