Gareth Southgate

It's not an anomaly when the majority of the best players are foreign though is it?

There are plenty of highly decorated English footballers, and plenty have been among the best in the world in their respective positions.

It was the case, 2007-2016 when the previous golden generation was gradually aging out of the game and the replacements were either crap or young, but it's certainly not an individual talent issue now.

Crazy stat (apologies if mentioned early): He has won more knockout matches in World Cup and Euros than all other England managers since 1966, combined.

Sir Gareth is the GOAT and it is coming home.

Crazy stat (apologies if mentioned early): He has won more knockout matches in World Cup and Euros than all other England managers since 1966, combined.

Sir Gareth is the GOAT and it is coming home.

Also had the easiest draws

Yep. I really see it as such: England is the one (and probably only) country that should be a true major force in international football, but isn't.
Poor coaching over the decades of young players and managers it too blame. The long ball stuff in the 70's set us back decades. It looks like might have improved in that area, though as we are producing technically sound players now in a number we have not done before. I hope it's not a fluke spell and is a sign of things to come. There is no reason that we can't be another france and produce players on the scale and quality that they do.

We're still not producing good enough managers. See, the current manager!

And of course, you need some luck to win a tournament. With a bit more luck England could have one a couple more.

Re the the 2 main trophies, the World Cup and the Euros, this is how it currently stands:

Germany - 7
Italy - 6
Spain - 4
France - 4
England -1

England is an anomaly, and it's not clear why. You talk about 'generations', but how much longer will England have to wait? You'd hope only a couple of weeks, given this history of failure.

Repeat the same totals with the criteria being ‘What leagues do European WC/EC winning players play in’.

My guess is;

Spain 40%
Italy 30%
Germany 15%
England 10%
France 5%

Two conclusions;

1. England has the most exciting league but doesn’t play tactically effective football.
2. We don’t Export talent to go and learn how to get that experience. It’s an odd one or two. Not a pathway.

The PL doesn’t produce top CL/WC/EC winning players. We import them.

Nah he would have red gloves on while handling and cooking the raw meat, only switching to the yellow gloves once the chicken is fully cooked as per HACCP controls.

Only HACCP instructions that chicken must be cooked to 74c would be far too cavalier for Gareth, so he would cook it to 163c just to be safe.

Repeat the same totals with the criteria being ‘What leagues do European WC/EC winning players play in’.

My guess is;

Spain 40%
Italy 30%
Germany 15%
England 10%
France 5%

Two conclusions;

1. England has the most exciting league but doesn’t play tactically effective football.
2. We don’t Export talent to go and learn how to get that experience. It’s an odd one or two. Not a pathway.

The PL doesn’t produce top CL/WC/EC winning players. We import them.
I'm sure there's an interesting study that could be done on this, but a lot of those trophies in the list were won long before people playing in foreign countries in massive numbers was a thing. The failure goes back a long way.....

I'm sure there's an interesting study that could be done on this, but a lot of those trophies in the list were won long before people playing in foreign countries in massive numbers was a thing. The failure goes back a long way.....

Kinda. It only compounds it really. Spain and Italy have had 50+ years of technical discipline and control. Germany have had positional awareness with a focus on transition.

The PL unique selling point is entertainment. It doesn’t breed players that control elite football matches.

You are right! And I want to add that none of the top PL teams has an English spine.
Weirdly the closest we have at the moment might be Chelsea, who we perhaps don't want to emulate... That, and Sterling and a couple others didn't make the cut anyway.

Other than the draws, it help that they've added more teams to the tournaments. The number of teams in the World Cup has double since 1966, and the number of teams in the Euros has increased by a factor of six.

image-asset.png

Found the Southgate heat map.

Heard an interesting tactical discussion on my drive to work this morning. It was a suggested podcast and I couldn’t even work out who the pundits were but they were basically saying that the single biggest tactical issue with Southgate’s England right now is around how safe he gets players to position and pass. Not only do they have to hold their shape both on and off the ball but also they’re instructed in all but around the box to only pass to players in space.

Now the main issue with this is that we have players like Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Mainoo and Palmer who are not only press resistant but it’s also a big part of their game to receive the ball with multiple players marking them. The reason they are so devastating at club level is that they are allowed to ask for the ball in tight situations because one good touch and they are free and that’s two or more players taken out of the game which means space to play into and dangerous avenues to exploit.

What we are currently doing is playing into the hands of teams that also like to keep organised and compact and press us because all we do in response is pass sideways and backwards ad infinitum

Put the new contract on the table. I’ve seen enough. 4 more years of Sir Gareth. Another top 4 finish in a tournament. Gareths at the wheel and feck all the haters.

Put the new contract on the table. I’ve seen enough. 4 more years of Sir Gareth. Another top 4 finish in a tournament. Gareths at the wheel and feck all the haters.

As a Welshman, I wholeheartedly endorse this message.

3rd semi final in 4 tournaments. Have to say that's quite unbelievable!

Can the FA make a statement and sack him before the semi final,.

The players could surely manage themselves better. He's a stinker of a manager. You could pick anyone in this forum, and they could surely do a better job. How a guy with minimal experience managed to bag the job is beyond belief.

Manager GOAT. Just above Pep and Richels, and on par with SAF.

Don't rate him at all, but with a final and two semis so far, surely he'll go down as at least the second most successful England manager?

Scraping his way through games. If only he played attractive football he’d get a lot more credit.

Somehow he has made it to another semi final despite the fact we haven't had a single good performance all tournament. In fact we should even get to the final. Pretty mind boggling.

Somehow he has made it to another semi final despite the fact we haven't had a single good performance all tournament. In fact we should even get to the final. Pretty mind boggling.
Slovenia & Switzerland.

2nd best England manager in history.

You won't know what you had until he's gone :lol:.

Can the FA make a statement and sack him before the semi final,.

The players could surely manage themselves better. He's a stinker of a manager. You could pick anyone in this forum, and they could surely do a better job. How a guy with minimal experience managed to bag the job is beyond belief.

I know the football is soul crushing, but somehow it's working.

After all, is it not better to be lucky than to be good?

Don't doubt the greatness ever again you jobbers. Sir Gareth gonna win this whole thing and then take over United and show them what winning is all about!