Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive gamble. If he regains his form of a few years ago and stays healthy, he could drive you to a league title in a way no other available player could. The Bale of a few years ago, playing every week, would be the best player in the EPL.

But the contract plus injury history plus age adds up to almost unimaginable downside if he keeps landing in the training room or his play steeply declines as he loses his quickness. This isn't like Di Maria, where he could have an unsuccessful spell and you sell him off to PSG the next year. Literally no other club in the world (where he would want to go at least, so not China) would take Bale and his 600K per week contract until 2022 if he comes to United and it doesn't work out. Even for a club with United's resources, carrying a crocked Bale on roughly 31M per year will be an albatross around your neck, as that is almost 1/7 of your total wage bill. And with that kind of contract and the marketing hype that will attend his arrival, he will also cause selection and team construction headaches for future managers because he will become essentially undroppable, even if his play greatly declines due to injury.

I can't remember another signing (or potential signing) where the gap between the realistic best case scenario and the realistic worst case scenario was so wide.

If he was as good as he was in his last year at Spurs I'd be parting with £150. Never seen a player drag a whole team on his shoulders to that extent. He could be that good if he became the main man again which he is never going to be as long as Cristiano is around. The main concern is his injury record and it is a major concern. Still can't really understand people saying 'do not want'.

Even if Madrid sells him just for 60m, with his 30m/year wages and surely a massive signing fee and transfer wages, we are looking for 230m pounds for 5 years.

He would need to regain his old form (which he hasn't shown since 13-14), be fit (which he hasn't been for the last two years) in order for this to be just a robbery, instead of the biggest robbery in the history of the sport.

I would have run in the other way if Madrid are even considering selling him. Top clubs don't sell top players, unless something is going there. And Madrid likely knows his injury situation.

He's not going anywhere. He's on too much money.

If he was as good as he was in his last year at Spurs then I'd be completely fine with us breaking the world record to get him.

I haven't seen him much this year mind so all the 'losing his pace' and 'injury prone' comments make me wary of it.

I don't think we need to be breaking the WR to get him tbh

It's not our money, let's get him (on the condition that he gets a haircut)..

Quite simply a complete waste of time thanks to his injuries. Sad really, could be a great player but you can't be a great player if you're not on the pitch. A total no go for me.

Didnt watch the match but did see fergie and giggs having a few quiet words with bale. Bale looked pretty depressed. Shame

Really hope we go for him. United and Bale is a match made in heaven. Can easily see him being PoTY with us.

Even if Madrid sells him just for 60m, with his 30m/year wages and surely a massive signing fee and transfer wages, we are looking for 230m pounds for 5 years.

He would need to regain his old form (which he hasn't shown since 13-14), be fit (which he hasn't been for the last two years) in order for this to be just a robbery, instead of the biggest robbery in the history of the sport.

I would have run in the other way if Madrid are even considering selling him. Top clubs don't sell top players, unless something is going there. And Madrid likely knows his injury situation.

They just slapped a 1 billion release clause on the contract he signed recently. There is no way they sell him now for 60m even if he is completely crocked.

With that rumoured wage, I'd say hands off. Even if he comes for free, I'd still second guess due to his injury record.

Really hope we go for him. United and Bale is a match made in heaven. Can easily see him being PoTY with us.
It was back in 2013, the perfect no.11 replacement for Giggs.. Massive shame really

People make it sound like he's a bench warmer. A fit Bale is their second best attacking player. His injuries are concerning indeed, but I think his injuries were mismanaged this year. I highly doubt Real would sell him, and he seems happy there.

So much Bale talk recently. Is he being sold at a cut price or something or has he evaded so much taxes that he has to leave Spain immediately?

Just for shits and giggles, we do get Bale, would that mean that Martial would have to vacate his No. 11 shirt? That guy's self esteem has been taking a battering already.

What's wrong with you people? He played 10 minutes.

4-3-3

GK

Tony - Bailly - CB? - Darmian/Shaw

Mkhi - Pogba - Herrera

Bale - Lukaku? - Martial/Rash

I think I need to post some numbers here so people wake up.

Bale has a contract till 2022 where he earns £18m or £350k pw after tax. That is almost £30m or £600k pw gross. And that's for 6 more years until he is 33. If we were to sign him on similar terms and length for £80m, his combined salary+transfer cost would be an outlay of over £45m a year for a total of £270m. I hope you are starting to realise the size of the gamble.

If Real were to sell Bale they really have very very limited options. No Italian or German club would go anywhere that contract price, not even half of it. The only teams capable of paying it are perhaps United and City. Mayyybe PSG though I doubt it. And I still don't think any of them would offer that kind of money with such along contract duration to a guy with that many recent injuries.

Bale is going knowhere. He does't want to leave (just signed a new contract ffs) and he's too big a gamble given the cost for anyone else to take on after his recent injuries.

Amazing player though he is when fit, I wouldn't want us to be the ones that take this risk. Especially when he's not even keen to be here

Was getting quite hopeful on Bale until I read this! Ah well, who's next?

If our physio's think they can manage his calf problem I would absolutely be ecstatic if we got him. 60 mil would be fair I think. As for the wages is the difference not the image rights? Supposedly Madrid usually own. All the Image rights hence the high wages or am I wrong about this

I think I need to post some numbers here so people wake up.

Bale has a contract till 2022 where he earns £18m or £350k pw after tax. That is almost £30m or £600k pw gross. And that's for 6 more years until he is 33. If we were to sign him on similar terms and length for £80m, his combined salary+transfer cost would be an outlay of over £45m a year for a total of £270m. I hope you are starting to realise the size of the gamble.

If Real were to sell Bale they really have very very limited options. No Italian or German club would go anywhere that contract price, not even half of it. The only teams capable of paying it are perhaps United and City. Mayyybe PSG though I doubt it. And I still don't think any of them would offer that kind of money with such along contract duration to a guy with that many recent injuries.

Bale is going knowhere. He does't want to leave (just signed a new contract ffs) and he's too big a gamble given the cost for anyone else to take on after his recent injuries.

Amazing player though he is when fit, I wouldn't want us to be the ones that take this risk. Especially when he's not even keen to be here

Why do you have to speak so much sense. Depressing us and that. I wanted to ask something though , do Madrid own his image rights or does he own a reasonable % of them? Because I believe negotiating wages for him would include his image rights and that would offset the insane money he is on.

Why do you have to speak so much sense. Depressing us and that. I wanted to ask something though , do Madrid own his image rights or does he own a reasonable % of them? Because I believe negotiating wages for him would include his image rights and that would offset the insane money he is on.

Spanish clubs usually own player image rights, I think.

Spanish clubs usually own player image rights, I think.

So if true wouldn't us giving Bale say 50% of the rights enable us to reduce his wages to Zlatan level? Not that Madrid would sell for a reasonable fee, it's just something I wonder if a reasonable fee was agreed upon

He is someone who relies on pace a lot and has concerns over injuries.
With nearly 28 and no resale value, it's hard to justify his price and salary..

The hairstyle is to cover his hair loss so guess he's off the list then ;)
He's losing his hair? Now I know that's not a thing to make jokes about but he could go down the Rooney/Conte road.

Arjen Robben has had worst injury situation than him.. but still carried Bayern to treble aftet being sold by RM.

I agree RM won't sell their top players, but they will if another promising star came in. They are chasing Mbappe now, so offloading Bale is their best option.

He doesnt want to play here, he believes he has a chance to get his spot back next season. People are too sentimental here, he had the chance and rejected it. He isnt the same player he was years ago, age catches up with everyone and injuries catched up with him on top of it. If he was Italian, nobody would say he and United are a match made in heaven, he doesnt care half as as much for us as some care about him

His injury record is the only thing that concerns me. If you had told me we were getting Bale when he was still at Spurs, I would've been over the moon. But now, if we fork out £100m for him, I'd be very skeptical as to how much he'd be able to contribute to the team. If our physio team thinks he can stay fit, then I'm all for it. But he missed so many games this past season at Real that I'm not sure this is the right move.

This isn't happening.
Zero chance.

He will never play for United

Thats good, because considering the whole package from a sports and financial point of view, he is not worth it anymore. We will get linked to him for another few years though

Status
Not open for further replies.