Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prediction: Madrid will win tonight and Bale will announce in a post-game interview that he's going to stay and fight for his place.

Beckham spoke good Spanish quite quickly.

An exception to the case. In my opinion, that's unimportant and can be counterproductive. Ian Rush's attempts to speak in Italian was ridiculed so much on satiric programe 'Mai dire gol' that ended up turning him into some sort of a joke. All happened at a time when he was struggling to gain confidence and learning how to beat defenders who could actually defend. As long as a player knows the right key words (ie pass, run, tackle) than that shouldn't be an issue. They are payed to play football not to recite the Divina Commedia.

I managed to find an example of what I am saying.

As far as Madrid is concerned, I think it's the perfect time to move him on for a good price, another injury hit season will effect his price dramatically. Bale also needs to be careful as I imagine it will also have an impact on what clubs are prepared to pay him in wages.

At the end of the day Bale can posture as much as he wants, if Madrid decide they want a shiny new toy, he's a goner for sure.

Really? I'd ask for everything the glazers own, including their dignity. Plus Woodward to use as a garden gnome/court jester
Swap "goodwill to talk" with "option to buy" :drool::drool::drool:

Still, i wouldn't do it right now. We're playing for 6 trophies...the only players who could replace Bale this season imho are Lewandowski, Suarez, Robben, Dybala, Neymar and Messi. We're not getting any of those guys this summer
Auba could have been an option, a month ago. Same thing with Alexis. Not as good as Bale but good enough to be reliable both as backups and starters in the rotations

As talented as he looks Mbappé is such a huge gamble right now...and let's be honest, he scored a lot last season but he doesn't blow you away like Messi or Ronaldo(Nazario) did at his age
I think if we ask too much we won't sell him and of course I imagine an scenario where we have a replacement.
Even without a replacement Isco and especially Asensio won't accept to be always in the bench.
I also think that Theo can be a new Bale.
If you were a United fan,would you want this Bale 2017 for 120/130m€?.
About Mbappé I miss the excitement that Cristiano had when he came,talking publicly and pressing to come.
We are in august and nothing it's clear with him.He could perfectly be playing in PSG next month.

An exception to the case. In my opinion, that's unimportant and can be counterproductive. Ian Rush's attempts to speak in Italian was ridiculed so much on satiric programe 'Mai dire gol' that ended up turning him into some sort of a joke. All happened at a time when he was struggling to gain confidence and learning how to beat defenders who could actually defend. As long as a player knows the right key words (ie pass, run, tackle) than that shouldn't be an issue. They are payed to play football not to recite the Divina Commedia.

I managed to find an example of what I am saying.

A sweeping generalisation though really isn't it. There's not really been a great deal of British players that have spent a significant amount of time abroad. Just off the top of my head I can think of Gary Lineker, who speaks fluent Spanish and Paul Lambert who was only at Dortmund for a season yet learned to speak German.

A sweeping generalisation though really isn't it. There's not really been a great deal of British players that have spent a significant amount of time abroad. Just off the top of my head I can think of Gary Lineker, who speaks fluent Spanish and Paul Lambert who was only at Dortmund for a season yet learned to speak German.

Well I can only speak about the Serie A and the EPL (whom I have been following closely for many many years). Most British players who went there had struggled to learn the language (or adapt to the lifestyle). It doesn't help the fact that Italian with a heavy English accent is painful to hear.

Honestly I don't see learning the language as that important tbh. Quite the contrary, it can be counterproductive. As shown in the video I posted, Juventus insistence in having Rush practice his extremely poor Italian at all times swiftly turned him into some kind of a joke. I wonder if Gazza was fined because of his inability to speak fluent Italian. What I do know is that he complained about being fined for everything. That doesn't help players to settle down

In my opinion, as long as a player does well on the pitch and they can understand basic instructions then it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
So how do you explain this development of revenue, during a time when the club has been the least successful in 20 years?

manchester-united-revenue.jpg

Manchester United might be allowed to perform hideously on the pitch for a long period of time (not being relegated ofc) before the brand takes a beating.

You cannot compare Chelsea to United. Chelsea is nowhere near United as a brand. Bale can be worth £100M to United but only £30 to Chelsea, theoretically.

From the commercial side of things, there is no doubt that the club is doing its best so far despite the relative lack of success. The brand is so powerful that it can produce such numbers but you can't take away that club's previous success played a big part in building those figures.
It allowed the club to develop itself mostly through Commercial sector or sponsorship deals (more than 60 official partners worldwide including Adidas). So, the commercial sector did grow from around £50 million in revenue to around £270 million from 2006 to 2016. Broadcasting revenue also played a significant part in it. But, as I said, it is all being done based on Man Utd status as the biggest English club which status is achieved during Ferguson era. Most of the sponsorship deals were signed shortly after that period. If our performances on the pitch in EPL remain around 4-6 place you will see these numbers go down in a few years so that's the point that I was making. It doesn't take such a long period of time. We were desperate for a reason to get ourselves in CL this season because we knew that we could be hurt by missing out again.

Also, no matter how big those figures above are, what's frightening is that they should be higher but they aren't due to our struggles on the pitch. For example, lack of EPL success hurt us. Leicester manage to enter in top 20 highest revenue-generating club in 2015/16 thanks to their title winning campaign. City boosted their revenues in 2015/16 massively due to their success in CL campaign getting about €83m as you see in the link:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2418253.html

So, all those figures are nice but due to the lack of big success they should be even bigger and if that continues we will not be able to keep them so high. That's the reason why when talking about a new player such as Bale he should be considered mostly by his potential to help us on the pitch. And I'm not saying he can't help us, just that such measure must be the first one when we're buying a player.

Typical Talksport today - message direct from Bale's rep stating he is not moving and 'why would he?' also rubbishing the journalism - only to be followed by numerous conversations about Bale moving to Utd. Utter dirge.

Typical Talksport today - message direct from Bale's rep stating he is not moving and 'why would he?' also rubbishing the journalism - only to be followed by numerous conversations about Bale moving to Utd. Utter dirge.
Delighted he doesn't want to leave. This is not the right signing for us. Rather perisic.

What was the supposed message from Bale's rep? I missed that.

Basically said 'why would Bale leave Madrid to go to Utd?' and also said they do not comment on 'rubbish journalism'

Was this not a while ago? Not saying he'll come, don't think he will, but I wouldn't take his agent's words as gospel. For all we know things could have changed, Mbappe or what not could be going, prompting Bale to move etc.

Basically said 'why would Bale leave Madrid to go to Utd?'

If they didn't want him, that's why. Pathetic comments, United are as big of a club if not bigger than Madrid, just less successful.

Was this not a while ago? Not saying he'll come, don't think he will, but I wouldn't take his agent's words as gospel. For all we know things could have changed, Mbappe or what not could be going, prompting Bale to move etc.

Well according to Talksport it was a text message this morning.

Basically said 'why would Bale leave Madrid to go to Utd?' and also said they do not comment on 'rubbish journalism'

When Madrid want you out though, you're out.

Nobody is saying United is at Madrid's level but if they are looking to cash in there's few clubs willing to meet his fee and wages.

It's all rumour anyway, for all we know he's a big part of Zidane's plans this year. I don't think he will move this summer.

I think if we ask too much we won't sell him and of course I imagine an scenario where we have a replacement.
Whatever replacement we might get would almost certainly not be as good as Bale. We're better off just keeping him
Even without a replacement Isco and especially Asensio won't accept to be always in the bench.
Already told you what i think on this. Don't think Isco and Asensio will be competing for minutes with Bale. Mostly it will be with each other. Bale will rotate with Cris and Benzema most of the time. We won't be seeing much of the BBC together this season
I also think that Theo can be a new Bale.
We don't even know if he's good enough to be marcelo's backup...
If you were a United fan,would you want this Bale 2017 for 120/130m€?.
Yes. Injuries are a concern, but it's a risk worth taking for one of the 6-7 best players in the world, a player who when fit is head and shoulders above anyone else in their league
About Mbappé I miss the excitement that Cristiano had when he came,talking publicly and pressing to come.
We are in august and nothing it's clear with him.He could perfectly be playing in PSG next month.
I don't much care for that. Mbappé excites me as a player, but he doesn't blow me away the way Messi did at his age. He's not nearly as good as Bale is right now imho, and blowing that kind of money for him, and selling Bale, meaning spending money to most likely get WORSE for this season, makes little sense to me...

Yes. Injuries are a concern, but it's a risk worth taking for one of the 6-7 best players in the world, a player who when fit is head and shoulders above anyone else in their league

He's not better than Hazard IMO.

Yes,maybe I am a bit over excited with Theo :D
Whatever replacement we might get would almost certainly not be as good as Bale. We're better off just keeping him
That's what we were talking about the other day. Without injuries he is fantastic, the problem is that the expectations in that regard are not very optimistic.
Already told you what i think on this. Don't think Isco and Asensio will be competing for minutes with Bale. Mostly it will be with each other. Bale will rotate with Cris and Benzema most of the time. We won't be seeing much of the BBC together this season
I hope you're right Giorno, but I think it's a source of troubles. Karim will do what Zidane tells him, but we'll see how far we can leave a player with so much name and caché on the bench.
I don't much care for that. Mbappé excites me as a player, but he doesn't blow me away the way Messi did at his age. He's not nearly as good as Bale is right now imho, and blowing that kind of money for him, and selling Bale, meaning spending money to most likely get WORSE for this season, makes little sense to me...
I don´t know, that way of thinking seems to me "Mbappé is very expensive, so let's think positive", but the hard truth (if finally Mbappé does not come) is that we have not been able to attract the jewel of the market. It does not matter if his family is from Paris or if we are not funded by a sheik. For me is still disappointing.
In addition, from the moment that his signing was considered, and accepting that Zidane adores Karim, there was no other option than to point to Bale.

The season in question brought us a Premier League/Champions League double so if that's what dropping €100 million on a crocked one-season-wonder will get us, I'm 100% behind it.

I don't think that buying Bale won see us winning the EPL and CL.
I don't think we'd even win the league, with Bale playing for 25-30 league games.

I doesn't matter what his rep says Madrid are the only club in the world who decide if a player stays or goes not the player if Madrid decide he goes he will go Di Maria had a great season was man of the match in champions league final and then was told your no longer needed and signed for us.

Yes,maybe I am a bit over excited with Theo :D That's what we were talking about the other day. Without injuries he is fantastic, the problem is that the expectations in that regard are not very optimistic.
Yeah i know, and losing Morata was a big blow in that regard. But still, if the alternative is an 18 year old kid...i dunno. If we were signing Aubameyang, or Alexis, i'd say, ok, let's sell Bale. I'm just not convinced it's smart to sign Mbappé now, and especially if we're to lose Bale in the process

I hope you're right Giorno, but I think it's a source of troubles. Karim will do what Zidane tells him, but we'll see how far we can leave a player with so much name and caché on the bench.
I hope i'm right, too. Zidane should have earned the right to do what he wants. And Isco hasn't signed the new contract yet...

I don´t know, that way of thinking seems to me "Mbappé is very expensive, so let's think positive", but the hard truth (if finally Mbappé does not come) is that we have not been able to attract the jewel of the market. It does not matter if his family is from Paris or if we are not funded by a sheik. For me is still disappointing.
In addition, from the moment that his signing was considered, and accepting that Zidane adores Karim, there was no other option than to point to Bale.
Meh, personally i don't much care for that. If he wants to play for PSG, good for him i guess. Personally i'm not yet convinced he's special in the Messi or Cristiano or Neymar category...

If he has an injury ravaged season Madrid won't get half the amount they'll get this summer.

Daniel Levy don't know anything.

It's not from Levy :lol:, just a guy who gets stuff right most of the time. We also apparently have first refusal on Bale up until 2019, so that's perhaps where the info came from. I'm not saying it's gospel, just passing on the info. Would also tie in with what Bale has said over and over.

It's not from Levy :lol:, just a guy who gets stuff right most of the time. We also apparently have first refusal on Bale up until 2019, so that's perhaps where the info came from. I'm not saying it's gospel, just passing on the info. Would also tie in with what Bale has said over and over.
If he was available, do you think Spurs will take up that first refusal?

First refusal clause is as useless as it can get.

Funny thing is Gareth Bale has first refusal to Tottenham too. He gets to refuse them first.

If he was available, do you think Spurs will take up that first refusal?

Not this season anyway and would depend on the transfer amount, and what Bale would want with regards wages. United could be offering him probably what around £250k a week? Even with the new stadium we couldn't come close to it.

Really it would depend on how close he has Tottenham in his heart. There is no doubt that if he did sign for us and his injurys reduced he would take us to the next level, him behind Kane and beside Ali? It would be just what we need.

It's funny how Spurs have not been linked to Bale even by ITKs.

To be fair he hasn't really been linked with anyone, he's been pretty clear he wants to stay at Madrid.

First refusal clause is as useless as it can get.

Never said it was a big thing all it means is we get informed if a) Madrid want to sell him and b)if Madrid receive an offer they would accept.

United are 200 times bigger than PSG, Bale is half the superstar Neymar is. So by my calculation, if PSG can sell for 2m€ worth of shirts in 4 days, United can make around 200m€ in the same amount of time.:cool:
There was a great thread on talking reds last year about the actual money we get for a shirt and it's basically nothing. I don't think it's more than £5 and infact I'm more tempted to say it's closer to £1 the way the adidas deal is structured. We got the lump sum upfront, so Adidas would be the ones making money off of such a deal.

United are 200 times bigger than PSG, Bale is half the superstar Neymar is. So by my calculation, if PSG can sell for 2m€ worth of shirts in 4 days, United can make around 200m€ in the same amount of time.:cool:

That's 400m€, surely? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.