Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely true, I didn't even want to get into shirt sale myth which pops up every now and then and it's been explained to death why shirt sales don't pay off transfer fees or give significant amount of money to the club.
But as I often say in response to this, shirt sales help massively when it comes to negotiating new contracts with Nike or addidas etc...

I believe it used to be the case years ago where clubs made off every shirt but it then changed, I'm guessing clubs make far more money contractually

Such as who though??

And people are always saying stuff like 'I'd only take him for £50 million'...but really, what does it matter to us what he costs? The amount that we spend isn't likely to make him any less likely to get an injury. If he's worth the risk then he's worth the risk - let the money men worry about the cost.

When my friend says he is going to put 500 pounds on Wenger winning the league this year, I tell him "It is a bad idea".
I don't tell him "It's not my money, I don't care".

Eventually, he might or might not listen to me. But I could still have an opinion.

Same scenario, he says I am putting a 10 on Wenger winning the league, I might say "Alright, take a shot. Let's see how that goes"

He was pretty much a starter from January onwards and I think he will continue to be unless we get Perisic. I guess we will see tomorrow and the weekend how he will be manged.

I had to check for the matchday threads of the previous season and I found out he started 2 matches out of 7 in Jan, and 2 out of 7 in Feb and 1 match out of 5 in March.

Less money spent on the injury prone player = more money to spend on the guy who is his backup.

It's not my job to find out transfer targets, but people voice their concerns over injury-plagued players or sub-quality players.
People thought we overpaid for Pogba, but I haven't seen anyone feel like we made a mistake in buying him.
But we're not going to sign a back-up this summer too are we? Therefore we'll be left having to make do if Bale gets injured, regardless of what he costs.

I totally understand about concerns about Bale's fitness, but my point is we need to either decide whether his fitness is too much of a risk, or a risk worth taking. If it's a risk worth taking then it doesn't matter on iota to us, the fans, whether he costs £50 million or £100 million. Alternatively, if we don't really believe that he's going to be able to play 30-40 games for us then we shouldn't sign him, at whatever cost.

And you didn't tell me who this other player is with Bale's quality and a perfect fitness record?

When my friend says he is going to put 500 pounds on Wenger winning the league this year, I tell him "It is a bad idea".
I don't tell him "It's not my money, I don't care".

Eventually, he might or might not listen to me. But I could still have an opinion.

Same scenario, he says I am putting a 10 on Wenger winning the league, I might say "Alright, take a shot. Let's see how that goes"
he's your mate though...are the Glazers your mates?

There's one thing expanding a brand in a region by buying a player famous in that region, for the money we bought Park for and a fine footballing ability combined with good fitness record. That's not the case with Bayol. Apart from the old 'selling shirts' (which is irrelevant), Bale doesn't represent a new market like Park did or like buying a player from country/region X where United's marketability could be improved upon. Here you are paying a shitload of money for a player that's expected to be your star player. All is fine until you take his injury record into consideration because yes, it does matter from financial point of view how many games Bale can play. If the so called star player that's supposed to take you up a level is unavailable for the 50% of games then you are less likely to win games, which grants you points or gets you into another round of CL. Both of which (even each position in the EPL) grants you profit.

The heat will be on Mourinho, because whoever the feck is his boss will ask why we haven't won X/Y/Z. They won't care if Bale was available for selection just for 50%, they will say that they bought him what he wanted and that he should have checked his injury record prior to getting him. Buying Bale pretty much writes off us buying somebody other who we could've bought otherwise too, perhaps somebody who hasn't spent last two seasons in the physio room. Winning things breeds success, success adds to your brand's exposure and success would much depend on whether Bale is able to stay fit or not. So yeah, his fitness matters from the financial point of view.

You don't understand my points. Park was just an example of where, in my opinion, it was clear that other things than football skills played a part. Do you think United's revenues will increase or decrease if we sign Bale? Bale is a world class player. He will attract a lot of revenue. Where the break even is, nobody here knows (including me I want to stress).

My point was that when United will try to judge how much Bale is worth on the transfer market they will not focus so much on fitness as they will on the commercial bits. I did not write that a player's fitness doesn't have any financial impact. Winning the league is not reliable, finish top 4 is not reliable. Bale selling their estimated amount of shirts is more reliable and thus a far better criteria to base the evaluation on.

And the shareholders are not satisfied just because the manager is fired. That is not good if the company go bad.

And you didn't tell me who this other player is with Bale's quality and a perfect fitness record?
Except he never said that.

No one can deny Bale is a top tier player when fit, but his season on season deteriorating fitness is a big cause for concern given the price we'll have to pay. Having a player of lesser ability who will be able to play most games is better than having Bale on the treatment tables for months every season.

I certainly wouldnt object to the club overspending on a player we really want, but we still have to be fiscally responsible. If Bale comes at 300k+ a week and 80m transfer fee on a 4 years contract, that's more than 150 million you'll sink on a player who may end up a Hargreaves.

So you want the club you love to make bad investments and do not care about the consequences. Would you like the Glazers to sell their shares to the Venky's?
I want the club to make an informed decision about whether they think Bale's fitness is a massive problem. If they are confident that it isn't then he is worth the money. The Glazers siphon millions out of the club every year, why should I care about (maybe) overpaying for a player who could be the difference between us being an also-ran again or genuinely challenging for the league and the CL this coming season.

Such as who though??

And people are always saying stuff like 'I'd only take him for £50 million'...but really, what does it matter to us what he costs? The amount that we spend isn't likely to make him any less likely to get an injury. If he's worth the risk then he's worth the risk - let the money men worry about the cost.

This "I don't care it's not my money" attitude is infuriating.
It's like you forget we don't have infinite money, and is based on sheer complacency that we'll always be a rich team.

I bet Leeds fans had a similar attitude in the Risdale misrule years

This "I don't care it's not my money" attitude is infuriating.
It's like you forget we don't have infinite money, and is based on sheer complacency that we'll always be a rich team.

I bet Leeds fans had a similar attitude in the Risdale misrule years

If you're so concerned about the club finances I would suggest that the massive amounts of debt that we're saddled with, and the millions that the Glazers take out of the club each year in dividends would be a better place to start than a signing that has the potential to make us great again.

It was clear for me that we haven't closed the deal for Perisic or someone on that level because of the hope an elite player would become available. However, I'm not sure that Bale should be that player. There's a nagging feeling that he'd be a massive flop and spend half his time here injured.

But as I often say in response to this, shirt sales help massively when it comes to negotiating new contracts with Nike or addidas etc...

I believe it used to be the case years ago where clubs made off every shirt but it then changed, I'm guessing clubs make far more money contractually

Well, that's true also. It has indirect benefits but when you're buying a player as a player you don't pay him off by shirt sales or make any large amount of money based on that especially when you look at how our Adidas deal has been structured where we get some payment if we reach a certain number of sold shirts in general. I'm not sure but I think that Bayern has the deal with better revenue share when it comes to shirt sales but they are an exception.

So, in any case buying a certain player won't get you directly much or any benefit in shirt sales like in Park case for example, or Zlatan, or Pogba... It can help you with expanding your brand and getting you all the benefits that come with that including an increase in general shirt sales after some time and in the end, as you say, better contract deal when you sit at the table with Nike/Adidas/Puma etc.

Hope Jose's just messing about.... really don't want us spending on this crock. Complete waste of money. The guy also loves Real Madrid, why would we want someone who won't be 100% on board?

Just hope Zidane starts him:)

It's not a waste. We have a budget to sign players to play in the team. We used some of it to buy Pogba.

The one(s) that set that budget are representing the investors/shareholders who will expect a return on their invested money. Since Manchester United is listed on the stock market there is only one kind of return that matters: money.

Because he was pretty damn good on the pitch. His region was just a bonus, I'm sure we would be interested even without that.

He was a very good player for us. But that doesn't mean the club would have bought him if he was from North Korea, rather than south, where there is no market.

I'd sign him up, injury crock or not any team would be crazy not to want him if he is available.

Problem is there's too many If's making this extremely slim:

If Madrid sign Mbappe
If Bale will want to leave
If United are willing to spend their crazy price estimation which will probably be between 80m-100m
If other teams don't beat us to his signing

Has Zidane done his pre-match conference yet? It'd be interesting to see what he says about Bale's future.

No one seems to be talking about Zidane's presser - he hasn't said that Bale isn't for sale.

I can't get excited about this transfer. He wants to be in Spain not here, he's injury prone, and honestly, while he is very good, I don't think he's what our team is missing.

I also can't shake the feeling that Madrid are upgrading, and we are paying for it. They're going to go out and replace him with Mbappe who in the long run might turn out to be a better player.

If you're so concerned about the club finances I would suggest that the massive amounts of debt that we're saddled with, and the millions that the Glazers take out of the club each year in dividends would be a better place to start than a signing that has the potential to make us great again.

I'd love us to sign him, unlike seemingly most of the posters on here!
But if we shell £100m out and he's Hargreaves mark 2, we're in a little bit of trouble!

Hope Jose's just messing about.... really don't want us spending on this crock. Complete waste of money. The guy also loves Real Madrid, why would we want someone who won't be 100% on board?

Just hope Zidane starts him:)
If he comes he will be 100% on board, that much I believe. He is no Di Maria that's for sure. Having said that, his injuries do worry me.

The thing is, it tends to just shift who a person is going to buy a new jersey of, not the team they buy one of. Atleast not to a dramatic extent. Our club paid a fortune for Pogba, and I'm going to buy a new Pogba jersey as I don't currently own a jersey of a player on the team with Rooney being sold. Due to this, I am going to buy a jersey of a player I like, but if it wasn't Pogba, I'd probably buy a jersey of Ander Herrera, Martial or Lukaku. Having Pogba doesn't make it more likely I'm going to purchase a United jersey.

I can't get excited about this transfer. He wants to be in Spain not here, he's injury prone, and honestly, while he is very good, I don't think he's what our team is missing.

I also can't shake the feeling that Madrid are upgrading, and we are paying for it. They're going to go out and replace him with Mbappe who in the long run might turn out to be a better player.

Still given a choice between 50M for Perisic or 90M for Bale, you'd choose Bale.

Bayern benefited similarly by buying low on an injury prone robben while real chased Ronaldo and kaka.

I want the club to make an informed decision about whether they think Bale's fitness is a massive problem. If they are confident that it isn't then he is worth the money. The Glazers siphon millions out of the club every year, why should I care about (maybe) overpaying for a player who could be the difference between us being an also-ran again or genuinely challenging for the league and the CL this coming season.
Yes, everyone wants the club to make an informed decision.
But we (as fans) could still have an opinion on whether the money is worth the risk or what money is worth the risk. There is no question of "Why should we care when its not your money?"

I'd sign him up, injury crock or not any team would be crazy not to want him if he is available.

Problem is there's too many If's making this extremely slim:

If Madrid sign Mbappe
If Bale will want to leave
If United are willing to spend their crazy price estimation which will probably be between 80m-100m
If other teams don't beat us to his signing

Has Zidane done his pre-match conference yet? It'd be interesting to see what he says about Bale's future.

I don't think point 4 is any risk, but the other 3 will mean it'd be a very late in window job at best

Jose obviously wants him, if he gets him thats a different story. This kinda looks like the Rooney saga

That's the point I am making. Zidane should have said "Bale isn't for sale. He is going nowhere."

But he didn't.

Whoops, I obviously misread your post!
Even better then!

Putting Bale in the team, on reputation alone would mean teams would automatically fear us more.
Imagine Lukaku and Bale stretching the play, and how much room Pogba would have to use. Especially with Matic behind him.
Could be very promising...but erm...let's see!

Whoops, I obviously misread your post!
Even better then!

Putting Bale in the team, on reputation alone would mean teams would automatically fear us more.
Imagine Lukaku and Bale stretching the play, and how much room Pogba would have to use. Especially with Matic behind him.
Could be very promising...but erm...let's see!
:)

Are you getting on the Bale Bus with me? I am thinking of hopping on.

:)

Are you getting on the Bale Bus with me? I am thinking of hopping on.

I'd be a fully paid up member, with BALE 7, or BALE 10 on the shirt asap!
As long as it happens before Sunday, as i'm getting Lukaku or Pogba otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.