Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling to see what's so terribly brilliant about it tbh.

But knowing this place Jose could fart into the mic and it would be labelled a brilliant statement by some on here.
It's a mind game and Jose is brilliant at mind games.

Well in this case we should buy Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift, sure as feck their shirts would sell very well.

I didn't write that football skills didn't matter. I wrote it had quite little to do with it from the investment side. If Bieber could do as a footballer for the club, then yes. Why do you think the club bought Park? It is not a rethorical question but his popularity in a region where Manchester United tried to expand as a brand probably paid some part in it.

There is nothing to this.

It has always been clear Jose wants him.

What has not ever been clear is Real want him to go. He certainly does not, which I still can't quite get after four years in Spain.
Got a taste of real culture and food.

If you dont jump on the BaleTrain, you'll never know what it feels like to fall in love. Let your inner muppet loose.

How many of you who make claims whether or not Bale is worth this or that fee have any clue about Manchester United's financial figures, and how the arrival of Bale would change those figures?

I don't have a clue myself but how much Bale is worth for Manchester United has probably quite little to do with how many games he plays next season, or the season after that.

The club is a private and listed company. The ONLY thing that matters is how much money the club can earn on Bale. The ones who makes the decision about how much he is worth as a investment will not look at how much he can provide in money for trophies since that is very unreliable. They will look at how much he is worth in terms of shirt sales, sponsorships, expanding the Manchester United brand etc. etc.

We probably don't have a clue about what money is too much money but I would like to stress that things like his injury proneness is only relevant to his value on the transfer market if it affects his value as a brand. Thus, how much less shirts will Bale sell if he plays 20 games instead of 35 is relevant to ask yourself. If the answer is that he will not sell less shirts it doesn't affect his value.

Paying £150M for a crooked Bale might be a much better business investment than paying £40M for Matic. I have no idea.

I have to say I disagree with the vast majority of this. I don't think players tend to pay their way at all. Most top clubs probably write-off most of their 'investment' in star players completely in favour of the success they bring on the pitch.

As for shirt sales, it's completely irrelevant as detailed many many times.

I have to say I disagree with the vast majority of this. I don't think players tend to pay their way at all. Most top clubs probably write-off most of their 'investment' in star players completely in favour of the success they bring on the pitch.

As for shirt sales, it's completely irrelevant as detailed many many times.

So how do you explain to the shareholders why you wasted £89M on Paul Pogba?

This reminds me of his Rooney comments when Jose was the manager of Real Madrid. If we were genuinely in for Bale, Mourinho would be much more coy.

Great player .......when he's fit. Utd are going to look proper mugs if he spends half the season (or more) injured.

At £85 milllion together with his £300,000+ week wages nobody can deny it's a massive gamble.

Surely there must be other more reliable world class players at that kind of money?

That's exactly the key..... When fit, he can turn us into Champions but I don't want another case of Schweinsteger where we paid have a tonne of wages and he didn't even feature for one proper season when he was with us. Rooney kept earning paycheck after paycheck without doing jackshit last season. We did great by getting those two off the wage budget and now adding Bale whose on the wrong side of his 20's and he's injury prone and it's not like we like Lingard to be a starter but I would rather get someone like Dembele. He's young and will become a much better player than Bale. Bale rejected us multiple times and he has always wanted to be at Madrid and even if he chooses to come, it will be because he was pushed out of Madrid and this would be very reminiscent of Di Maria. When you have the chance to get your hands on the Dembele, why waste 90m plus 300k wages on someone who may or may not even play, let alone make an impact.

If Bale does come, you think he'll play on the left or right? His preferred position is central behind the striker and that would be detrimental to Mhiki's progress whose just coming to becoming an important player for us this season. Bale is great when on form but the ship has sailed for him to join United. But if he did come, I would be happy because he would be better than having Lingard as part of the first 11.

Bale would most likely be our best attacker, if he joined us, but what if he spends half the time injured?
I remember when we bought Hargreaves. He was great for one season, then after that, he was just absent. I'd hate to see us splash big money on a player who goes the same way as Hargreaves.
Hargreaves had a chronic condition. Tweaking your calf muscles a couple times after an ankle injury is not out of the norm and should be viewed much different.

-----Lindelöf-----Bailly------Rojo-----
--Valencia--Herrera--Matic--Pogba--Bale-
-----------------Mkhitaryan----------------
------------------Lukaku--------------

How many of you who make claims whether or not Bale is worth this or that fee have any clue about Manchester United's financial figures, and how the arrival of Bale would change those figures?

I don't have a clue myself but how much Bale is worth for Manchester United has probably quite little to do with how many games he plays next season, or the season after that.

The club is a private and listed company. The ONLY thing that matters is how much money the club can earn on Bale. The ones who makes the decision about how much he is worth as a investment will not look at how much he can provide in money for trophies since that is very unreliable. They will look at how much he is worth in terms of shirt sales, sponsorships, expanding the Manchester United brand etc. etc.

We probably don't have a clue about what money is too much money but I would like to stress that things like his injury proneness is only relevant to his value on the transfer market if it affects his value as a brand. Thus, how much less shirts will Bale sell if he plays 20 games instead of 35 is relevant to ask yourself. If the answer is that he will not sell less shirts it doesn't affect his value.

Paying £150M for a crooked Bale might be a much better business investment than paying £40M for Matic. I have no idea.

You're talking more from the perspective of the clubs owners. And even in that case, club owners do care how much their investment can pay off on a football pitch and help the team to achieve more trophies because the trophies are still the most important thing when you look at expanding your club's brand, getting better sponsorship deals and so on... Even our Adidas deal is connected to football results.

In any case, getting a player for whom we are sure it can help us achieve our goals in terms of success and trophies should be only reliable metric when you're looking at bringing new players, even if you're in the position of the owner.

I didn't write that football skills didn't matter. I wrote it had quite little to do with it from the investment side. If Bieber could do as a footballer for the club, then yes. Why do you think the club bought Park? It is not a rethorical question but his popularity in a region where Manchester United tried to expand as a brand probably paid some part in it.

There's one thing expanding a brand in a region by buying a player famous in that region, for the money we bought Park for and a fine footballing ability combined with good fitness record. That's not the case with Bayol. Apart from the old 'selling shirts' (which is irrelevant), Bale doesn't represent a new market like Park did or like buying a player from country/region X where United's marketability could be improved upon. Here you are paying a shitload of money for a player that's expected to be your star player. All is fine until you take his injury record into consideration because yes, it does matter from financial point of view how many games Bale can play. If the so called star player that's supposed to take you up a level is unavailable for the 50% of games then you are less likely to win games, which grants you points or gets you into another round of CL. Both of which (even each position in the EPL) grants you profit.

The heat will be on Mourinho, because whoever the feck is his boss will ask why we haven't won X/Y/Z. They won't care if Bale was available for selection just for 50%, they will say that they bought him what he wanted and that he should have checked his injury record prior to getting him. Buying Bale pretty much writes off us buying somebody other who we could've bought otherwise too, perhaps somebody who hasn't spent last two seasons in the physio room. Winning things breeds success, success adds to your brand's exposure and success would much depend on whether Bale is able to stay fit or not. So yeah, his fitness matters from the financial point of view.

Because he was pretty damn good on the pitch. His region was just a bonus, I'm sure we would be interested even without that.

Money is not an issue tbh. I think it is worth the risk even though he has had quite a few injuries. Him on the left flank for the season would be devastating.

Not that I claim to know what goes on in Bale's head but I get the feeling he doesn't care that much for United. I'm sure he'd love the wage we'd give him but I think he'd be a mercenary. Maybe being at the club and pandered to would warm him to United but what the hell do I know?

They should be, but they won't be.

They had been last season actually. Lingard played a lot in the last part of the season when Mata got injured and Rashford was switched as a striker but before these last 3 months and during the rest of the season, he was never a regular starter.

Just a question Guys. So if Bale plays in this Super Cup, would he be eligible to play champions league for another team?

Because he was pretty damn good on the pitch. His region was just a bonus, I'm sure we would be interested even without that.
Wasn't it shown that Park actually didn't dramatically increase United Jersey sales in South Korea, he just split which player they were most likely to get a jersey of.

Players have commercial value, but that isn't usually represented in jersey sales. Especially when you look at how deals with companies like Nike and Adidas are structured.

That's exactly the key..... When fit, he can turn us into Champions but I don't want another case of Schweinsteger where we paid have a tonne of wages and he didn't even feature for one proper season when he was with us. Rooney kept earning paycheck after paycheck without doing jackshit last season. We did great by getting those two off the wage budget and now adding Bale whose on the wrong side of his 20's and he's injury prone and it's not like we like Lingard to be a starter but I would rather get someone like Dembele. He's young and will become a much better player than Bale. Bale rejected us multiple times and he has always wanted to be at Madrid and even if he chooses to come, it will be because he was pushed out of Madrid and this would be very reminiscent of Di Maria. When you have the chance to get your hands on the Dembele, why waste 90m plus 300k wages on someone who may or may not even play, let alone make an impact.

If Jose scouted Bale, I think he will have an idea about Bale's fitness. Unlike van Gaal, Jose would not be signing a past it player for the sake of old ties. The comparison with Schweinsteiger does not hold, Bale is still younger and in the prime of his career. Schweinsteiger also had no motivation, whereas Bale will still be hungry to perform.

Di Maria -- if Jose had been here, I am sure he would have persuaded Di Maria to stay. Unlike Di Maria, Bale will not be put off by England, as he is Welsh. And while Di Maria wanted PSG, Bale will only be coming here. And Jose is not van Gaal to put shackles on attacking players, which contributed to Di Maria leaving the club.

Dembele is a hipster signing. Potential is there, but unproven. We don't need Martial mk2, we need proven players.

If Bale does come, you think he'll play on the left or right? His preferred position is central behind the striker and that would be detrimental to Mhiki's progress whose just coming to becoming an important player for us this season. Bale is great when on form but the ship has sailed for him to join United. But if he did come, I would be happy because he would be better than having Lingard as part of the first 11.

I wouldn't be worried if Bale benches Mkhi, because Bale is quite frankly twice the player Mkhi is. Competition is good, I do not know why anyone would not relish seeing two players like Mkhi and Bale compete for spots in our team.

I pray he will not play tomorrow. He's the one we need to challenge for a trophy. Game winner.

I pray he will not play tomorrow. He's the one we need to challenge for a trophy. Game winner.
Even if he doesn't play it means nothing I think. He is supposedly injured and his agent came out recently claiming he is very happy at Madrid.

People want the quality of Bale, and with the price and fitness record of Perisic. They are mental.
People want the quality of Bale in a player that has a good injury-rate. Think most don't care about the price if injuries aren't such a obvious issue.

They had been last season actually. Lingard played a lot in the last part of the season when Mata got injured and Rashford was switched as a striker but before these last 3 months and during the rest of the season, he was never a regular starter.

He was pretty much a starter from January onwards and I think he will continue to be unless we get Perisic. I guess we will see tomorrow and the weekend how he will be manged.

People want the quality of Bale in a player that has a good injury-rate. Think most don't care about the price if injuries aren't such a obvious issue.
Such as who though??

And people are always saying stuff like 'I'd only take him for £50 million'...but really, what does it matter to us what he costs? The amount that we spend isn't likely to make him any less likely to get an injury. If he's worth the risk then he's worth the risk - let the money men worry about the cost.

Maybe Jose is trying to do Bale a favour by forcing RM to play him. Such a lovely bloke Jose is. Cares about players who don't even play for his own club. And to think that some here call him a dick.

Lol

Such as who though??

And people are always saying stuff like 'I'd only take him for £50 million'...but really, what does it matter to us what he costs? The amount that we spend isn't likely to make him any less likely to get an injury. If he's worth the risk then he's worth the risk - let the money men worry about the cost.
Less money spent on the injury prone player = more money to spend on the guy who is his backup.

It's not my job to find out transfer targets, but people voice their concerns over injury-plagued players or sub-quality players.
People thought we overpaid for Pogba, but I haven't seen anyone feel like we made a mistake in buying him.

Wasn't it shown that Park actually didn't dramatically increase United Jersey sales in South Korea, he just split which player they were most likely to get a jersey of.

Players have commercial value, but that isn't usually represented in jersey sales. Especially when you look at how deals with companies like Nike and Adidas are structured.

Completely true, I didn't even want to get into shirt sale myth which pops up every now and then and it's been explained to death why shirt sales don't pay off transfer fees or give significant amount of money to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.