Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for Griezmann seems the better decision long term. The Bale deal has a huge IF on it for someone Madrid would want 80m+ for. If he stays fit fantastic but if his injuries continue we are stuck with a 36-37 game a season player who is on 300k+ a week.

Question for everyone unsure about him coming here:

What price would change your mind?

Reactions: SteveJ
No, I'm not saying for 1 solitary game. He played all the games leading up to the final of the biggest competition we were in and definitely played a massive role in that season achieving what we did that season.

I do see your point, but the deals your quoting haven't got half the talent (schweiny did at one point) bale does, so that has to come into the calculation somewhere. It depends on the fee and wages we can negotiate, but if we can play hardball on that and get him to a reasonable level, it's a fair gamble.

There's no guarantee mbappe will be as good as Bale, you could argue you it the other way as well. RM could be handing us a quality player so they can get someone with potential.

Anyway, not particularly up for it as a signing either - but, it would definitely have upsides if he was to come

@devilish

I think Hargreaves had a decent 1 season followed by a nightmarish rest of career both in terms of football and in terms of marketing (he did went on to Shitty and blamed the fact that he was a wreck to us). During that period we had a fabulous side with Carrick and Scholes in full pomp at CM. SAF also had his sights set on Marcos Senna who was a much better player Hargreaves won. Therefore I suspect that we would have still won the lot with or without him.

That tells us part of the story though. Bayern went on spending the dosh on a certain Frank Ribery. I’ve yet to find a Bayern Munich fan who feels saddened that Hargreaves left. To be fair, they had quite a lovely nick for him (the English patient).

I confess that the comparison between the two situations is quite striking. If Bale becomes available then United will have to choose again between the most popular player (Hargreaves-Bale) and the most reliable one (Perisic-Senna). Once again we would be dealing again with a top club (Bayern-Real) for an injury prone player whom they ‘does not want to lose’, however they are ‘willing to lose’ if the ‘right offer comes up’. The only difference is that Bale is a highly expensive player (both in terms of fee and salary) while Hargreaves probably had an average salary (a first teamer but not among the high earners).

A Teves type of deal (ie a 2 year loan with a minimum fee clause that can be activated at any time).

I would only buy him if we could pick him up for less than 70m, and no chance is that happening.

The issue is not how many games he played but the amount of time you are without him when he is out this seems to be getting worse over the years. The question is whether Bale's injuries are down to the amount of games he plays in short periods, or whether they are down to his proneness to injury. If it is simply down to the amount of playing time, we can probably improve that and keep him around longer in a season. However his injury record is inconclusive. He has played a similar number of games to Perisic but has been out for huge lumps of time.

Take the example of Gundogan, a top class player but has hardly played a game for City in the last year. The risk would be worth it in this market if you were paying close to low end prices, at least we could still play Mata/martial/Rashford/mkhi as a second striker, but for 100m+ we could end up with a player who is out for 10 weeks when we need a player.

Perisic is 29; Bale is 28.

Perisic desperately wants United; Bale desperately wants Madrid.

Perisic is very healthy; Bale is very injury prone.

Perisic will cost about 48 million; Bale will cost 100 million according to reports.

Jose really wants Perisic; Jose doesn't seem to want Bale because he believes Bale doesn't seem to want United at all (my interpretation).

Perisic will probably earn about 150,000 - 200,000 a week for 3-4 years; Bale will probably earn about 400,000 for 3-4 years.

As much as I believe Bale can offer more goals, assists and star power when fit, the above are compelling enough reasons for me to cast my vote for Perisic. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be available again. If Madrid can sell Bale for less than 70 million, then I can accept the risk as reasonable enough and support the idea of buying Bale. If not, we had better be scrapping what is left of the transfer market to find a winger that can improve the team in his own way.

Could be the case but if he so desperately wants United then he should asked to leave or have handed in a transfer request to force Inters hand. You would imagine we wont be in for him again next year so its a case of now or never really.

Even with Matic not officially handing in a transfer request there was plenty of stories linking us to him for over a year now and a few rumours of him wanting out.

They wont which is why i think its a nothing story.

I just dont believe we would be willing to break our transfer record to sign Bale. £60m is the most i think we should be willing to pay

His imjury record the last two seasons have been Basti like.

Madrid looking to strengthen by signing Ousmane Dembele and will dump Bale to make room it seems.

We need to be in the bidding for Ousmane Dembele. We shouldn't be trying to sign a injury prone player that has been underwhelming in the last 4 years.

I can't believe people would actually prefer Perisic. We have become far too obsessed with solidity and defensive nous; the top six play against teams who set up to defend most of the time.

It's what your front three can do to the other team that matters not what they stop the opponent doing. Which is one of the many reasons why Bale would be an infinitely better signing than Perisic.

I wonder if we have one more trick up the sleeve. This would vastly change everyone's perception of the window.

Can only see this happening if the Mbappe to Barca rumours become concrete forcing Madrid to act quickly, or Madrid get Mbappe not wanting to be outshone in the transfer market (whether by PSG and/or Barca's Neymar replacement). Essentially they have to sign Mbappe first before letting Bale go.

No

Dont even know what you are on about. Perisic has 70 league games for wolfsberg and 70 league games for Inter. But to be fair thats includes a jan transfer but it also includes an knee injury for over 2 months from march to may in those extra months. But despite all this the stat that counts is 64.9%(65%) of games compared to 87.8%. That table is over the exact same time period and includes all games except friendlies. I refenenced all comps as it means more to us who will be in 4 comps and not 2 and to know how many games he will miss as much as be available for.

as for the acknowledgement i'd have not checked that.
You literally referenced all competitions and then included only Bale's league games to make it look worse.

I can't believe people would actually prefer Perisic. We have become far too obsessed with solidity and defensive nous; the top six play against teams who set up to defend most of the time.

It's what your front three can do to the other team that matters not what they stop the opponent doing. Which is one of the many reasons why Bale would be an infinitely better signing than Perisic.
I think very few would argue Perisic is better than Bale as a player, but they're more worried about Bale's recent injury record along with the total price (transfer fee and wages). I personally would prefer Bale, out of the 2, but it's a big financial risk. Although, if we were to spend big on a winger, I'd take Dembele over Bale as he's only turned 20 and is already performing at a very high level.

The Bale ship sailed once he went Madrid I think. Getting him at 24 would have been amazing but now he's closer to 30 you have to wonder how much mileage a player like him has left when his main attribute is his pace coupled with his injury record its just too much of a gamble and we could be left with a crocked 100 million pound investment with no resale value once he hits 30.

He's hit that point where injuries are the 'niggling' kind. Once that happens it's like Diaby at Arsenal. Calf strain, bruised thigh, dead leg, ankle injury, whatever.... I'd only take him (and I would have LOVED him 4 years ago) if he was under £40m as we may only get half a season out of him. Unlike when Diaby was at Arsenal he's not at a club where every player is badly managed medically/physically so it's purely an issue with him. I'd pay him average basic wages with bonuses based around being available to play (i.e. Fit to play even if not picked). He's seems to be losing pace (whether it's due to injury or fear of injury so he doesn't hit top gear) but is still quick. From last year he seems a lot less instinctive in his play and rather than destroying a player with pace/skill he is a lot more ponderous. Hence why I think it's psychosomatic in part. Don't know if he'd fit in with Mourinho who (rightfully) thinks sometimes a player could try and run it off like used to happen all the time. Think there would be a fair bit of tension between them if Bale constantly missed games with injuries Roy Keane would have sneered at.

Is this thread for the real? People are talking of Bale as if he is some Owen Hargreaves or if we have an abundant supply of world-class attacking players! If we get a fully motivated Bale in our team he would instantly make us a team to fear and the title favourites even if he sits out for a part of the season. The only reason why I wouldn't sign him though is his complete disinterest in signing for us. We don't want to do another Di Maria here.

The deal makes sense for all involved, but I can't see it happening. I very much get the impression that Bale doesn't like United and doesn't want to play for us.

I think Hargreaves had a decent 1 season followed by a nightmarish rest of career both in terms of football and in terms of marketing (he did went on to Shitty and blamed the fact that he was a wreck to us). During that period we had a fabulous side with Carrick and Scholes in full pomp at CM. SAF also had his sights set on Marcos Senna who was a much better player Hargreaves won. Therefore I suspect that we would have still won the lot with or without him.

That tells us part of the story though. Bayern went on spending the dosh on a certain Frank Ribery. I’ve yet to find a Bayern Munich fan who feels saddened that Hargreaves left. To be fair, they had quite a lovely nick for him (the English patient).

I confess that the comparison between the two situations is quite striking. If Bale becomes available then United will have to choose again between the most popular player (Hargreaves-Bale) and the most reliable one (Perisic-Senna). Once again we would be dealing again with a top club (Bayern-Real) for an injury prone player whom they ‘does not want to lose’, however they are ‘willing to lose’ if the ‘right offer comes up’. The only difference is that Bale is a highly expensive player (both in terms of fee and salary) while Hargreaves probably had an average salary (a first teamer but not among the high earners).

Good points. I think the only thing separating the two situations is inters wild valuation of perisic. Doubt this would even be a discussion if inter had a fair valuation.

Will be good to see how this all unfolds.

Good points. I think the only thing separating the two situations is inters wild valuation of perisic. Doubt this would even be a discussion if inter had a fair valuation.

Will be good to see how this all unfolds.

I agree. I wouldn't go for Perisic at this point of time either. There's too much politics involved around it which has nothing to do with either United or Perisic.

Perisic is a squad player that's been given a superstars asking price.

Then again after this fecked up transfer window, £50 million is probably what you will pay for a squad player.

Perisic will cost about 48 million; Bale will cost 100 million according to reports.

Jose really wants Perisic; Jose doesn't seem to want Bale because he believes Bale doesn't seem to want United at all (my interpretation).

Perisic will probably earn about 150,000 - 200,000 a week for 3-4 years; Bale will probably earn about 400,000 for 3-4 years.

As much as I believe Bale can offer more goals, assists and star power when fit, the above are compelling enough reasons for me to cast my vote for Perisic. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be available again. If Madrid can sell Bale for less than 70 million, then I can accept the risk as reasonable enough and support the idea of buying Bale. If not, we had better be scrapping what is left of the transfer market to find a winger that can improve the team in his own way.
There's no way on this earth we'd pay Perisic that much. That deal looks dead anyway.

You literally referenced all competitions and then included only Bale's league games to make it look worse.
Nope

You can keep repeating the same lie over and over it wont make it true.

Go check it your self.... the numbers are correct, accurate and available for all to read.

Different thought but since Jose is experimenting with 352 and for me it's the best we've looked in pre season. Do people think Bale would be used as a LWB? For me it makes sense as to why we are persistent on getting Peresic as as far as left wingers go there are better out there.

If the idea is for a LWB then Peresic then makes sense to me but I have to say if Bale was bought for such a role and was given more attacking licence from the left with Martial and Lukaku loving to play the channels that could open up massive holes for Bale and Pogba to drive through and do the damage. I actually think it would work really well.

On Bale, at the beginning of last season he wa the man keeping them ticking when all the others hadn't found form and were floundering. Reports they rushed him back too quickly from injury and supposedly it's the same repeated injury of a calf issue.
Personally if the idea is more of just getting a superstar I'd rather get someone like Dybala, Dembele or Mbappe but it seems to me like it's more a positional want so if it's under a 100mil do it. I think he still has more to give but just needs to get over that injury bug.

You seem angry.

All clubs have their legends. It's a status earned by few. Chance in Manchester or in Madrid, makes no difference.

Even more so when you say Madrid don't give too hoots about him while reality is that he earns huge money and he has fixed place in starting 11 from day one. What else is there for the club to give him?

As for more context to this story (if it hasn't been posted by now), there are reports that Zidane primary focus is to keep the harmony in the squad and he thinks signing Mbappe without offloading one of BBC would be damaging.
Considering Bale injury record and the results while playing in a different system, it seems logical for the club to want to offload him first.

Nah I'm not angry at all. I just don't believe Bale should have the honour to wear the red shirt. He had his chance to come here and his injury record makes him a huge gamble. The quotes around £90 million are ridiculous.

Very 'Money Ball' Esq. all that, I'm glad we're not run like that. The biggest part you forgot to mention is, the talent gap between the two. The experience Bale has of the PL over Perisic.

I'm not knocking your post, as it happens, I'd happily welcome Perisic over Bale, however, my gut instinct says we should go after Bale.

Different thought but since Jose is experimenting with 352 and for me it's the best we've looked in pre season. Do people think Bale would be used as a LWB? For me it makes sense as to why we are persistent on getting Peresic as as far as left wingers go there are better out there.

If the idea is for a LWB then Peresic then makes sense to me but I have to say if Bale was bought for such a role and was given more attacking licence from the left with Martial and Lukaku loving to play the channels that could open up massive holes for Bale and Pogba to drive through and do the damage. I actually think it would work really well.

On Bale, at the beginning of last season he wa the man keeping them ticking when all the others hadn't found form and were floundering. Reports they rushed him back too quickly from injury and supposedly it's the same repeated injury of a calf issue.
Personally if the idea is more of just getting a superstar I'd rather get someone like Dybala, Dembele or Mbappe but it seems to me like it's more a positional want so if it's under a 100mil do it. I think he still has more to give but just needs to get over that injury bug.

Bale would not come to play WB, if we buy him it has to be as a 10

Nah I'm not angry at all. I just don't believe Bale should have the honour to wear the red shirt. He had his chance to come here and his injury record makes him a huge gamble. The quotes around £90 million are ridiculous.

To be fair to him he had a choice between a Real Madrid with world class players and a world class manager....and a decent but limited United side who had just lost a legendary manager and replaced him with David Moyes.

Not a good stick to beat him with really.

With his injury record I think United could afford to plunk £30m and pay him £150k/wk for 3 years. If he stayed injury free, award the player with a bonus or something.

You asked.

This is exactly the kind of signing we need to be avoiding at all costs if we want to get back to the top. Yes, Bale when he is fit is a great player who would offer a lot and obviously knows the PL well but the problem is he's shown that he can't stay fit for an entire season. If he was to be our talisman and if he came he would be, he'd be missing during key moments in the season you just know he would especially coupled with our luck with injuries. He's also made it clear on numerous occasions and Jose alluded to it also that he has no real desire to leave and if he did it would be Madrid's decision not his.

As weird as it sounds, we need players with Neymar's mentality. A willingness to leave and seek new challenges. Dembele would be absolutely ideal in my opinion as he's exactly the kind of profile of signing that's been proven over the last several years to make you successful both in the short and mid to long terms. Obviously it remains to be seen whether he'd actually be willing to take the challenge but he's worth pursuing over Bale.

He massively fecked us over. Pretty much our entire summer transfer window was built around buying him, which means that we must have got a near concrete confirmation from him that he would join.

I don't buy the whole "loyalty" angle at all. There is something odd about the whole thing. I bet he signs for Barcelona in January.

Oh agreed. I didn't put it that way because the Griez fans on here seem to think he is a saint for doing what he is doing. He isn't, he shafted us, and will end up at Barcelona, Real or who knows, PSG.

If he really wanted to be here, he would have signed months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.