Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can see here we have a forum where Fellaini is seen as the ideal squad player plan b and all round wonderful professional by many yet Gareth Bale who will provide width pace a wonderful left foot and a bit of world class ability is derided.

If we can keep him fit and yes it is a big if, this signing is a no brainer and will start to reverse the mediocrity of the woodward era. Signing a perisic will for me just continue the mediocrity in line with retaining the Fellainis of this world.
It feels to me that some on here have settled into the old Arsenal way of consolidating a top four finish and going through the motions in the Champions League. Signings like Perisic as our main attacker would further entrench this - our other creative players are nowhere near productive enough to get the goals needed for a title challenge, let alone compete with the likes of Real Madrid on the European stage.

Bale played 100 games for Real thats 25 a season for 4 seasons. In a team hitting 60+ games a season mostly.

Perisic in that time has played 35 a season in teams that do not play as many games, i suppose its fair to say an, everton type - cl quallifier, level sides. Who also missed over two months with a knee injury. Not constant niggles.
He played 150 games though, which is 37.5 matches per season. No idea why you counted only the league games, but then mention that they play 60+ matches per season.

Ronaldo - who is never injured - on the other side played 195 matches, which is an average of 11 matches more than Bale for season. Bale has problems with injuries, but people are exaggerating them.

Btw, at the same time, Perisic has played 152 matches, a grand total of 2 more matches than Bale.

Is Bale really this underrated on the caf? Or is it the classic case of 'Everyone we buy is shit' ?

I can only imagine the meltdown if he goes to Chelsea - He'll be viewed as world class again.... :wenger:

fecking Perisic over Bale.... :lol: - When we were first linked to Perisic, there was outrage then as well.

When fit, he is one of the 5 best players in the world. He has the capability to carry a mediocre Wales team all the way to the semifinals. But, he is a huge investment with a very very bad injury history. If both Perisic and Bale would be the same price, he is definitely worth the gamble. He will cost almost double though.

Madrid is trying to pump this up with their official newspaper. No way we should be helping them.

Bale would tear PL defences to shreds. Can't understand those pushing back against him.
Don't disagree with bale's ability to tear defences to shreds, but his injury record means he might be also suffering a few tears of his own through the season if we were to buy him.

Great player in his day but not sure whether his body can stand up to the PL. It could be a lot of money for someone who you'd have to manage his game time carefully. That aside, he'd only be coming cause Real no longer wants him and that's the wrong motivation to be coming here with and the wrong energy to bring to the dressing room.

Why is this even being discussed? No concrete evidence of this happening

Worth the risk. When fit he's unstoppable.
But that's the issue isn't it, can he stay fit, his minutes played per season has alarmingly declined in past 3 seasons, 70-80mn for a fit gareth bale is no brainer but 70-80mn for a possibly crocked bale is a big risk especially with an option of waiting a year and getting griezmann who brings equal ability with no such injury concerns.

But that's the issue isn't it, can he stay fit, his minutes played per season has alarmingly declined in past 3 seasons, 70-80mn for a fit gareth bale is no brainer but 70-80mn for a possibly crocked bale is a big risk especially with an option of waiting a year and getting griezmann who brings equal ability with no such injury concerns.

What to stop us getting Griezmann AND Bale :confused:

But he just comes off as a knob. He had his chance to be a United legend similar to Giggs but chose a club that doesn't give too hoots about you.

You seem angry.

All clubs have their legends. It's a status earned by few. Chance in Manchester or in Madrid, makes no difference.

Even more so when you say Madrid don't give too hoots about him while reality is that he earns huge money and he has fixed place in starting 11 from day one. What else is there for the club to give him?

As for more context to this story (if it hasn't been posted by now), there are reports that Zidane primary focus is to keep the harmony in the squad and he thinks signing Mbappe without offloading one of BBC would be damaging.
Considering Bale injury record and the results while playing in a different system, it seems logical for the club to want to offload him first.

I suspect if David Moyes hadn't been in charge when Bale moved to Madrid he would have been our player now anyway. If Jose had been appointed that summer, Bale may well have moved to United. Ifs and buts obviously.

Get the feck outa here with them numbers. Choosing all Bales games and trimming Perisic's? Yea right!

My stats.... I chose league games mainly as its directly comparable. But lets expand seeing as thats where your headding with it.

..........13/14..... 14/15...... 15/16..... 16/17
Bale: P 44/60; P 48/59; P 31/52; P 27/60 = 150/231, 65%
Perisic:P 38/39; P 38/52; P 41/44; P 42/46 = 159/181, 87.8%

"How d'ya like dem apples" Still not bad for only the half price, ya gotta admit!
I've already acknowledged I got Perisic's numbers wrong. You didn't choose league games mainly. You chose league games for Bale and all comps for Perisic. You even referenced all competitions in the comparison.

I suspect if David Moyes hadn't been in charge when Bale moved to Madrid he would have been our player now anyway. If Jose had been appointed that summer, Bale may well have moved to United. Ifs and buts obviously.
Don't think even SAF would have changed bale's mind, he wanted to be at madrid, that was his dream move.

I would take Perisic for 100% of the games over Bale for 50%. We should be familiar enough by now with just how frustrating and inconsistent injury prone players can be.

He played 150 games though, which is 37.5 matches per season. No idea why you counted only the league games, but then mention that they play 60+ matches per season.

Ronaldo - who is never injured - on the other side played 195 matches, which is an average of 11 matches more than Bale for season. Bale has problems with injuries, but people are exaggerating them.

Btw, at the same time, Perisic has played 152 matches, a grand total of 2 more matches than Bale.
Limit the sample to the last two years.

I would take Perisic for 100% of the games over Bale for 50%. We should be familiar enough by now with just how frustrating and inconsistent injury prone players can be.
Generally feels like Perisic would be the sensible, reliable option but without generating too much excitement.

Whereas, Bale is the risky, dodgy option but if you are able to fix him up a bit, you would have a game changer and the most exciting player we've had since Ronaldo left.

Basically like choosing between a new Ford car or a beaten up Ferrari that you'd need to fix up

Generally feels like Perisic would be the sensible, reliable option but without generating too much excitement.

Whereas, Bale is the risky, dodgy option but if you are able to fix him up a bit, you would have a game changer and the most exciting player we've had since Ronaldo left.

Basically like choosing between a new Ford car or a beaten up Ferrari in need of fixing.

Agree.

Paying 70-90m for a 28 year old injury prone player is not a risk worth taking. Madrid are trying to get rid of him while Bale doesn't want to leave. For 50m, perhaps I could digest that deal.
I am sure that saved 40 million will look real nice to you when one of our rivals win the league. Maybe then you will be banging your keyboard of how united needed another signing.

Basically like choosing between a new Ford car or a beaten up Ferrari that you'd need to fix up
Completely agree. But i think Bale would be worth that risk - at the right price. If we're going to have to break our transfer record we should tell RM to get stuffed but for £60m i'd bite their hands off.

Theres only one viable option Woody... Get both!

Bale would tear PL defences to shreds. Can't understand those pushing back against him.

I still think he has what it takes to be one of the leading players in the Premier League for another 3 or 4 years. So it's going be fun revisiting the comments in this thread if he does end up at a rival. There's a clear divide between those who think he's worth the risk (me included), and those who think we should stand aside and allow one of our rivals to take him. I have a feeling we're going to find out who was right because it does appear Madrid want to get rid of him.

and if Perisic gets injured? Younever know who will stay fit and who won't. Not sure the last time Zlatan had an injury but looked what happened. United need to buy the best players available

If there's a chance to buy Bale we should take it. He may be crocked but if he's not what a player we'll have. People sniffed at Robben's injury record when Madrid sold him, I bet Bayern Munich's happy with how their 'gamble' worked out.

I'd love to see us sign him - genuine question though do you think there would be issues in the medical?

If there's a chance to buy Bale we should take it. He may be crocked but if he's not what a player we'll have. People sniffed at Robben's injury record when Madrid sold him, I bet Bayern Munich's happy with how their 'gamble' worked out.

Good point

I would love to sign Bale however I don't know how I feel about having a half arsed, injury prone Madrid player. Obviously if he comes in motivated with a point to prove then we would have the best player in the league on our hands.

Completely agree. But i think Bale would be worth that risk - at the right price. If we're going to have to break our transfer record we should tell RM to get stuffed but for £60m i'd bite their hands off.

Theres only one viable option Woody... Get both!

They asked for 80million for Morata -- what are the chances they will ask for a lot less for one of their galacticos?

If Bale comes then he would be on high salary and on a long term contract. That means it will dether us from signing a top player later on. Do we really want an injury prone player to come and sit in our treatment room instead of waiting a bit and get Griezmann either in January or next summer?

If the rumours are true I'll despair if we turn him down. He'd be the best attacking mid in the league baring maybe hazard and would restore the "fear factor" almost instantly, I can only imagine how lethal he would be with lukaku up front. He could also help develop Martial, similar-ish players.

Also, he seems pretty tall, so I imagine Jose already has this in the bag.

I'd kind of got over Muppet season, but the thought of this... I just can't help myself.

Shouldn't really even have to explain that but a) they want to play in the same position and b) we don't have infinite money.

A) they don't play in the same position B) we wouldn't need 'infinite money' C) you didn't have to explain you condescending feck

If Bale comes to the premier league and manage to stay fit for the whole season, whoever signs him will win the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.