Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bale comes then he would be on high salary and on a long term contract. That means it will dether us from signing a top player later on. Do we really want an injury prone player to come and sit in our treatment room instead of waiting a bit and get Griezmann either in January or next summer?

The Griezmann ship has sailed I think.

All the talk about loyalty I think was a bit overstated, he is just waiting for a better offer.

I've already acknowledged I got Perisic's numbers wrong. You didn't choose league games mainly. You chose league games for Bale and all comps for Perisic. You even referenced all competitions in the comparison.
No

Dont even know what you are on about. Perisic has 70 league games for wolfsberg and 70 league games for Inter. But to be fair thats includes a jan transfer but it also includes an knee injury for over 2 months from march to may in those extra months. But despite all this the stat that counts is 64.9%(65%) of games compared to 87.8%. That table is over the exact same time period and includes all games except friendlies. I refenenced all comps as it means more to us who will be in 4 comps and not 2 and to know how many games he will miss as much as be available for.

as for the acknowledgement i'd have not checked that.

If there's a chance to buy Bale we should take it. He may be crocked but if he's not what a player we'll have. People sniffed at Robben's injury record when Madrid sold him, I bet Bayern Munich's happy with how their 'gamble' worked out.

Good point

The Robben comparison is a good one actually.

Robben was 25 at the point Bayern signed him, Bale is 28. In the preceding two seasons Robben was unavailable for 70 days through injury (which worked out at 14 games missed). In Bale's last two seasons he's been unavailable through injury for 209 days (44 games missed).

They asked for 80million for Morata -- what are the chances they will ask for a lot less for one of their galacticos?
They wont which is why i think its a nothing story.

I just dont believe we would be willing to break our transfer record to sign Bale. £60m is the most i think we should be willing to pay

All the talk about loyalty I think was a bit overstated, he is just waiting for a better offer.

Maybe yes, maybe not. My point still stand though. United is a rich club but we do have our limits. We can probably afford 3 maybe 4 players on top top salary (ie the Bale, Griezmann, Pogba, Ibra, Bastian, Rooney type of players). Should we fill one of those slots with an injury prone player? Our record with these sort of players is appalling. Usually things get worse once signed not better.

He played 150 games though, which is 37.5 matches per season. No idea why you counted only the league games, but then mention that they play 60+ matches per season.

Ronaldo - who is never injured - on the other side played 195 matches, which is an average of 11 matches more than Bale for season. Bale has problems with injuries, but people are exaggerating them.

Btw, at the same time, Perisic has played 152 matches, a grand total of 2 more matches than Bale.
Not sure where you got your numbers but this is the total number of games they have played(excl frendlies, just in case) last 4 years so it even takes in Bales best years.
.............13/14..... 14/15...... 15/16..... 16/17
Bale:...P 44/60; P 48/59; P 31/52; P 27/60 = 150/231, 65%
Perisic:P 38/39; P 38/52; P 41/44; P 42/46 = 159/181, 87.8%

In this market, Bale will not go for less than 100m
The way things are going he will have another injury riddled season and next year would most likely go for much less.

The thing is Perez is the first person to realize this. It's better for them to offload Bale this season for less than pay him a year salary and risk losing more next summer.

Maybe yes, maybe not. My point still stand though. United is a rich club but we do have our limits. We can probably afford 3 maybe 4 players on top top salary (ie the Bale, Griezmann, Pogba, Ibra, Bastian, Rooney type of players). Should we fill one of those slots with an injury prone player? Our record with these sort of players is appalling. Usually things get worse once signed not better.

Can you give an example? Van Persie was very injury prone but worked out ok, I just can't remember us signing an injury prone player and living to regret it.

Why are people holding Bale's decision to reject us and move to Madrid? We often say British players should move abroad and test themselves. Also, the guy has won 3 CL's...his decision to reject us on that alone has been justified.

I've posted earlier, I don't believe he'd be bought to play on the wings. He'd be bought to play off the main striker. A roaming role if you will.

The thing is Perez is the first person to realize this. It's better for them to offload Bale this season for less than pay him a year salary and risk losing more next summer.

Indeed. Another season of being available for less than half the games and he'll be 29 and seeing his value plummet. Makes sense to cash in now, if only they can find a willing (gullible) buyer.

But he hasn't, he's played in 161 games for Real Madrid, which means he played more games per season (marginally, and over the previous 4 seasons or so) than Perisic did.

In fact Bale has only one season for Real Madrid where he played in less than 30 matches, which admittedly was last season, but that was 27, the season before he played 31.

I'll give you, that Bale had more chances to play given the relative teams, but it doesn't change the fact that Bale has played at least as much football as Perisic over the last 4 years, and contributed (in terms of goals at least) considerably more in that period.
Hmmmm ok here is what i have...
.............13/14..... 14/15...... 15/16..... 16/17
Bale:...P 44/60; P 48/59; P 31/52; P 27/60 = 150/231, 65%
Perisic:P 38/39; P 38/52; P 41/44; P 42/46 = 159/181, 87.8%

Why is everyone suddenly convinced he's leaving Real?

I can't find anything mentioning this anywhere

Why is everyone suddenly convinced he's leaving Real?

I can't find anything mentioning this anywhere
Just rumours at the moment, but they're saying that Zidane wants 1 of the BBC to leave before he signs Mbappe. He cannot give them all the playing time they will require.

Bale is the most likely to leave out of those 3, but whether he will accept to move is another thing.

Can you give an example? Van Persie was very injury prone but worked out ok, I just can't remember us signing an injury prone player and living to regret it.

Owen Hargreaves is a classic example, Luke Shaw had barely ever been useful to us, same as Jones + Bastian was a wreck by the time we signed him up.

If we're spending 50m+ and paying a 300k+ salary then we should make sure that we're getting a top top player who would available for most of our games.

Last edited:
If Bale comes then he would be on high salary and on a long term contract. That means it will dether us from signing a top player later on. Do we really want an injury prone player to come and sit in our treatment room instead of waiting a bit and get Griezmann either in January or next summer?

There is no guarantee that Griezeman will join though.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if he goes to Barcelona in January.

Griezeman is a very good player, but he is not in the same category as a fit Bale.

A fit Bale would not only be the best player at United, but the best player in the league.

I'd love for us to sign Bale, but it would be a massive risk when you look at his injuries.

Owen Hargreaves is a classic example, Luke Shaw had barely ever been useful to us and Bastian was a wreck by the time we signed him up.

If we're spending 50m+ and paying a 300k+ salary then we should make sure that we're getting a top top player who would available for most of our games.

We should throw £60-£70 million at Arsenal and go all out for Sanchez.

There is no guarantee that Griezeman will join though.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if he goes to Barcelona in January.

Griezeman is a very good player, but he is not in the same category as a fit Bale.

A fit Bale would not only be the best player at United, but the best player in the league.

I'd love for us to sign Bale, but it would be a massive risk when you look at his injuries.

As said, maybe Griezmann will sign or maybe he won't. However for that fee and that salary we need someone we can rely on. An injury prone player can't be relied upon.

Also, we don't need marquees signings year in year out. There was a time when we made our stars not simply bought them up.

We should throw £60-£70 million at Arsenal and go all out for Sanchez.

That's an excellent suggestion. Also, it won't really be the end of the world if we don't sign a marquee signing either. I was a huge critic of the 'value' strategy as I always thought that if the right player is available than we would be foolish not to buy him up. However I can't help thinking that we might have gone the other way now. There's absolutely no need to bring a marquee signing year in year out.

A 200m Neymar represent more value than an 80m Bale and I am not a big fan of the Neymar deal either.

Absolutely This - you can get three years of fun thrashing the Ford around and still have cash left to go out and party hard.

Buy the Ferrari and whilst you may be thinking about enjoying the odd moment of fantasy & glory (sunny day on empty B Road, roar of the engine and tinkle of laughter from your passenger).... but in reality you will be spending most of your time either in the garage, spluttering along the slow lane or in the Bank asking to extend your overdraft as another expensive and time consuming repair is necessary.

If you prefer slipping into an old Banger then you could always go and support Everton!

Indeed. Another season of being available for less than half the games and he'll be 29 and seeing his value plummet. Makes sense to cash in now, if only they can find a willing (gullible) buyer.

Can you see chelsea being Intrested?

Bale would be pefect if not for his injury record, which is appalling - it's gone on for too long for him to expect anything different if he moved.

I'm half-tempted to say he's worth the risk, given the potential upside of maybe 25 games where we have a truly world class talent but we aren't talking a £20m punt...more likely a fee likely to be in the top 5 highest of all time - we'd be mad to pay it. if it was close to £50m then maybe - there'll be people claiming that this is ridiculously low but given his age and injury record (especially with the type of player he is), I think it's probably about what he's worth.

Will not happen but...

Owen Hargreaves is a classic example, Luke Shaw had barely ever been useful to us, same as Jones + Bastian was a wreck by the time we signed him up.

I agree it didn't work out well in the long run, but he was my personal MOTM in the CL final and was instrumental when he was fit tbh.

Let's say Bale could have a similar effect, I'd be happy. We all know what he is capable on his day. I think he also was rushed back from injury on several occasions at real - not saying we would be any better at handling it, but there's always a case.

Absolutely This - you can get three years of fun thrashing the Ford around and still have cash left to go out and party hard.

Buy the Ferrari and whilst you may be thinking about enjoying the odd moment of fantasy & glory (sunny day on empty B Road, roar of the engine and tinkle of laughter from your passenger).... but in reality you will be spending most of your time either in the garage, spluttering along the slow lane or in the Bank asking to extend your overdraft as another expensive and time consuming repair is necessary.

If you prefer slipping into an old Banger then you could always go and support Everton!

Also the galactico model rarely work and we're hardly the right club to make it work it either. We should instead aim to build a system that work for us. If there's a top quality player whom we need and we can rely on, then by all means, let us sign him up. However, I don't think its the case in terms of Bale.

He massively fecked us over. Pretty much our entire summer transfer window was built around buying him, which means that we must have got a near concrete confirmation from him that he would join.

I don't buy the whole "loyalty" angle at all. There is something odd about the whole thing. I bet he signs for Barcelona in January.

Ppl need to wake up and angel the coffee here The Bale of spurs n a few years ago that's gone he will never get even close to that again

Injuries have robbed him of his pace and that was his biggest asset he is just going to get worse each season n get more injuries each season .

People seem to think he will tear up the premiership like he did at spurs if we signed him but the truth is the only thing he will tear is his hamstring .

He would be worth it. We could manage him until he's over these niggles. He would bring a lot of quality to the squad and we wouldn't have to rely on his pace so much. If a team camps deep at OT, I would let him and Pogba shoot. Bales set pieces in addition would be welcome.

As said, maybe Griezmann will sign or maybe he won't. However for that fee and that salary we need someone we can rely on. An injury prone player can't be relied upon.

Also, we don't need marquees signings year in year out. There was a time when we made our stars not simply bought them up.

Agreed mate.

Maybe our scouts should earn their crust and find us the next batch of youngsters that will become world beaters.

I agree it didn't work out well in the long run, but he was my personal MOTM in the CL final and was instrumental when he was fit tbh.

Let's say Bale could have a similar effect, I'd be happy. We all know what he is capable on his day. I think he also was rushed back from injury on several occasions at real - not saying we would be any better at handling it, but there's always a case.

You don't spend millions in salary and fees for 1 game irrespective on how important that game is. The problem with injury prone players is that they are unpredictable. You can keep them in cottonwool for most of the season and they can still break when you need them the most. We should learn from Hargreaves, Shaw, Jones, Bastian's and Fabio's deal. Its not worth spending too much effort on crocked players.

Don't forget that if we take Bale off out of Real's hand then we'll probably financing a big chunk of the Mbappe deal. That means we're spending ridiculous fees to take a crock on huge salary off their hands only for them to bring in a top player whose got a decade of good football in him. I am not a big fan of strengthening our rivals.

Hmmmm ok here is what i have...

In fairness I'm not certain where the extra 11 games came from (friendlies maybe?), point still proven, he's only had one season with less than 30 games, and yet still people keep saying he'll only play 20-25 games for us, it makes no sense.

Pointing out Perisic had less available games doesn't help either really, as we have no idea how he would have coped playing 2 games a week, week in week out either, the manager may have rested him too if they had so many more games..

But as I've repeatedly said, I'd be happy with either, just more excited about Bale, I think Bale has a much higher ceiling, but it is is possible that Perisic would be more reliable, we don't know that though.

I'll trust Mourinho and the medical staff to make the right choice though

He massively fecked us over. Pretty much our entire summer transfer window was built around buying him, which means that we must have got a near concrete confirmation from him that he would join.

I don't buy the whole "loyalty" angle at all. There is something odd about the whole thing. I bet he signs for Barcelona in January.

May be we decided that no9 was more important than no 10 and mourinho went for lukaku so he stayed for another season and also the transfer ban suited the narrative and increased his image as a loyal player an in return leave next year on good terms with his preferred move( to us)

People that want to wait for Griezmann are taking a risk also. If Valverde really does want him, then I can't see him going anywhere else. The guy has openly talked about loving Spain, the weather and lifestyle compare to the UK. If he was that keen on coming here he'd of moved this season.

People that want to wait for Griezmann are taking a risk also. If Valverde really does want him, then I can't see him going anywhere else. The guy has openly talked about loving Spain, the weather and lifestyle. If he was that keen on coming here he'd of done it this season.

If we also don't get Griezmann then it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Just rumours at the moment, but they're saying that Zidane wants 1 of the BBC to leave before he signs Mbappe. He cannot give them all the playing time they will require.

Bale is the most likely to leave out of those 3, but whether he will accept to move is another thing.

Ok. Well Mbappe is 18 and I'm not even sure had scored a goal before last season, so I find that extremely difficult to believe.

Plus I'm not sure Real can afford to let Bale go now Ronaldo has communicated his irreversible decision to leave...

The question for most posters who are against this potential transfer is, can we afford to pass by a player of Bale's caliber? Even with his injury in the past two seasons? We don't have a single world class winger or attacking midfielder. In the position we are in, playing the likes of Mata on the wing and Jesse Lingard playing 30+ games, we shouldn't try and bring Bale? That's absurd.
And comparing Ivan Perisic to Gareth Bale? I'd rather we pay 100m for Bale and take a risk on his injury problems than pay 55m for Ivan Perisic. Players of special talents like Bale and Pogba are the likes for which we should be overpaying, not Perisic.

No, I'm not saying for 1 solitary game. He played all the games leading up to the final of the biggest competition we were in and definitely played a massive role in that season achieving what we did that season.

I do see your point, but the deals your quoting haven't got half the talent (schweiny did at one point) bale does, so that has to come into the calculation somewhere. It depends on the fee and wages we can negotiate, but if we can play hardball on that and get him to a reasonable level, it's a fair gamble.

There's no guarantee mbappe will be as good as Bale, you could argue you it the other way as well. RM could be handing us a quality player so they can get someone with potential.

Anyway, not particularly up for it as a signing either - but, it would definitely have upsides if he was to come

@devilish

Last edited:
I wonder how many people advocating us buying Bale were saying the same last summer (when his injury problems were already become serious). Doesn't seem sensible that you can then watch him have a 27 game, 9 goal season (whilst being the 3rd highest paid player in the world) and still think 'nothing is wrong, United should definitely buy him'.

Status
Not open for further replies.