Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bale isn't just a speed merchant though. Sure it's a big asset for him, but his game is about so much more than that. His technical skill is often underrated I feel. His first touch is great, his weight and range of passing has improved vastly since being at Real and the way he strikes a football is a thing of beauty. He is also now so much cleverer in his movement and the way he positions himself on the pitch. His aerial ability is also terrific. He's got so much to his game.

It's interesting with Giggs as he also had serious injury problems in his late 20's and he obviously had to adapt his game. When you lose your rapid pace you have to have the tools to fall back on...and Bale has those. Now he may not sustain his career for as long as Giggs (body shape may dictate this), but there is no reason he cannot adapt and this I feel is why he has wanted to move centrally. He may end up as a support striker or even a centre forward in the way Ronaldo has developed. He isn't on that level but he has the attributes to be successful in that transition.

If Bale manages his game he will be able to manage his injuries. He could be a fantastic asset for anyone willing to see the bigger picture. He's a wonderful footballer.

This is a great post. There is a spectacular number of people that wrongly identify Bale as some sort of circus monkey with pace. They just don't get it.

I would love Bale here, always saw him as giggs replacement, and am so convinced that he is a United type player that its always a slight shock to me that he has never joined.

Having said all that, is there anything actually remotely solid linking us to him? There was the Jose handshake, followed by Bale and then Bale's agent both saying no chance....seems like its as dead in the water as any transfer has ever been, but it is still talked about everywhere, have I missed something?

Bale has never wanted to join us, he even chose Spurs over joining United, something which puts me off massively.

Great player, could still be amazing but quite simply has no real interest in being a United player.

Bale has never wanted to join us, he even chose Spurs over joining United, something which puts me off massively.

Great player, could still be amazing but quite simply has no real interest in being a United player.

He chose Spurs because he was worried about playing time?

Surprising really why he has never been that keen to join Utd. Literally never been interested.

Bale isn't just a speed merchant though. Sure it's a big asset for him, but his game is about so much more than that. His technical skill is often underrated I feel. His first touch is great, his weight and range of passing has improved vastly since being at Real and the way he strikes a football is a thing of beauty. He is also now so much cleverer in his movement and the way he positions himself on the pitch. His aerial ability is also terrific. He's got so much to his game.

It's interesting with Giggs as he also had serious injury problems in his late 20's and he obviously had to adapt his game. When you lose your rapid pace you have to have the tools to fall back on...and Bale has those. Now he may not sustain his career for as long as Giggs (body shape may dictate this), but there is no reason he cannot adapt and this I feel is why he has wanted to move centrally. He may end up as a support striker or even a centre forward in the way Ronaldo has developed. He isn't on that level but he has the attributes to be successful in that transition.

If Bale manages his game he will be able to manage his injuries. He could be a fantastic asset for anyone willing to see the bigger picture. He's a wonderful footballer.
He could be a monster playing the free second striker role he plays for Wales. Sort of how Mkhitaryan played in the first half yesterday vs Sampdoria

It will not end well should we sign him. Hopefully we are wise enough to stay clear if he becomes available.

Nar, he's never spoken highly of United and simply has never had any interest in joining us. Any time in his career he's ever been asked about United he's been as dismissive as any player I can ever remember.

Has zero affection for us.

I agree with this, there's never been a hint of interest from him. How much that would effect his performances for us I don't know. He's ambitious on a personal level, a bit like Rooney was and let's be honest even when Rooney was here you never really felt he had any affection towards the club. That's not to say we didn't benefit hugely from having Rooney here.

This is a great post. There is a spectacular number of people that wrongly identify Bale as some sort of circus monkey with pace. They just don't get it.

Completely agree. I do wish some could look beyond that one asset which perhaps unfairly defines him. You don't get signed by Real Madrid for a world record fee, just for being really quick. He's already quite a different player from the one that left Spurs. To be honest, it could be debated whether speed is now his greatest attribute. It may well be, but it could also be the reason he is picking up a fair few niggly injuries.

Would love to see him at United.

I agree with this, there's never been a hint of interest from him. How much that would effect his performances for us I don't know. He's ambitious on a personal level, a bit like Rooney was and let's be honest even when Rooney was here you never really felt he had any affection towards the club. That's not to say we didn't benefit hugely from having Rooney here.
Yeah, even Mourinho said Bale has no interest in leaving Real and that's understandable tbf. I'm sure he backs himself to stake his claim for the starting 11, mbappe or not. Can't see him giving up this easily.

DIdnt watch the game only the highlights from MLS game but Bale did make an appearance and had a couple of decent chances of scoring or assisting. Both came really close to completion.

IF not for the injury worries I would be so glad to have him in the team. Him playing behind Lukaku would really lift the team up to another level. Plus having another strong left footer in the team can bring more balance. He is still a more than decent winger.

The last I read was he injured himself in training and may or may not be a doubt for the game against us.
Sums it up really.

Apparently Bale was an Arsenal fan as a kid. His formative years would have been exactly when our rivalry was strongest with them...really that period from say 97-2005 was the period out of our entire history where our rivalry with Arsenal was at its most acute...they fecking hated us. Wonder if that influenced his seeming indifference towards the idea of joining us? Because on paper we are the absolute perfect match for him - he is the archetypal 'United type' player.

Apparently Bale was an Arsenal fan as a kid. His formative years would have been exactly when our rivalry was strongest with them...really that period from say 97-2005 was the period out of our entire history where our rivalry with Arsenal was at its most acute...they fecking hated us. Wonder if that influenced his seeming indifference towards the idea of joining us? Because on paper we are the absolute perfect match for him - he is the archetypal 'United type' player.
Erm, he played for Spurs?

Yeah! I'm not saying that he would never play for us, just wondering if his seeming indifference to us is borne out of that childhood rivalry. He's not a Londoner and I'll wager that for a lot of non-local Arsenal fans we were hated more than Spurs during that period anyway.
So he wouldnt join us because arsenal fans hate united but he would join spurs because meh? Inconsistent logic.

Is he really injured again or privately have we told Madrid not to play him against us whilst we sort out this transfer business :p

Bale is a deal like it was with Beckham for Madrid.

We should spend on griezmann. We don't need bale to win the title.

I had a dream last night that Bale signed for Chelsea and we all ended up regretting not going for him. Quite a strange dream.

€100 million is a lot, but in the current market it's worth the risk IMO. If he can stay injury free or at least play 30 PL games a season, he could make a huge difference. And I don't think there are any other wingers on the market that are anywhere near his level. And I'd rather take the risk of spending €100 million on him than spend it on a much inferior player or to not spend it at all. We desperately need another 'x-factor' in attack. But that's just my opinion.

Seems like the situation is that Madrid need to sell to get Mbappe and have deemed Bale as expendable. Bale himself has no intention of leaving.

Di Maria was a similar situation, although I think Bale would settle a lot better in Manchester than him, obviously.

Just pay it, even for half the season he'd be worth it. Would be a massive massive signing for us.

My thoughts exactly.
Maybe he got more injuries in Spain cause of the climate...
I chose to believe that, and that the Manchester weather will do him good.
And red will suit him nicely.
Just hope he cuts his hair, and stop the silly Justin Bieber wannabe heart celebration.

I remember sitting at my old computer desk in my young care free days, watching videos of that Southampton kid who was only 16 and taking free kicks for Southampton, fully expecting him to become a United player alongside Ronaldo & Rooney.

The injuries suck. My my young self is still waiting for his expectation to be fulfilled

If he is available we would be mad to not go for him. Every transfer is a risk and it's one worth taking. On his day he's up there with the best in the world.

I remember sitting at my old computer desk in my young care free days, watching videos of that Southampton kid who was only 16 and taking free kicks for Southampton, fully expecting him to become a United player alongside Ronaldo & Rooney.

The injuries suck. My my young self is still waiting for his expectation to be fulfilled

He was a left back back then wasn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.