Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perez would rather blow his balls.

Then Perez can continue paying Bale's salary and watch his value continue to decline. A loan deal may be the only sensible way for a buyer, and there are not many buyers out there unless they want to sell Bale to Barsa.

I would rather we bought an injury prone Bale who could give us 15-20 excellent - outstanding performances next season than Perisic who would give us 30-35 average-good performances and maybe a couple of excellent ones.
Wish it was that easy. A player between injuries would not be able to give 15-20 outstanding performances. Most will be average or "getting into the groove" performances.

Let's make him our Robben, signed from Madrid fairly cheap because of injuries. We'd have a world class winger when healthy and when not, we have decent enough alternatives.

I'd definitely expect more production from 25 Bale starts and 30 starts for Mata/Martial/Rashford/Mkhitaryan/Lingard than I would 40 Perisic starts and 15 from that group.

Define cheap? Bale is going to be 80m in this market surely, I would guess more tbh.

In this market, Bale will not go for less than 100m
The way things are going he will have another injury riddled season and next year would most likely go for much less.

Won't be surprised if this deal really takes place - on his day he is one of the best in the world. I am sure we will keep him under cotton wool and for the biggest matches. All up to Jose to decide if he wants to risk the money on a potential injury disaster, but on the flipside, a potential title-winning player.

Wish it was that easy. A player between injuries would not be able to give 15-20 outstanding performances. Most will be average or "getting into the groove" performances.
15-20 games is not alot considering the amount of games we will play next season. I was factoring in some average games as well. Going by the past few seasons he is averaging about 25-30 games. I don't think saying about 60% of his games would be of a high standard is unrealistic.

The way things are going he will have another injury riddled season and next year would most likely go for much less.

That seems way too high for me. He's a 28 year old winger on massive wages who might be leaving because Mbappe demands a starting spot, and the team was better with Isco in his place anyways and they have Asensio coming up too.

If he was fully healthy, at his age and with the market what it is, I would say 90-100M is right because its just impossible to find wingers who score 1 in every 2 games. But if he misses 40% of games, I would think his fee would go down somewhat commensurately, and he'd go for 60-70M.

People said James would go for 60M and instead he went for 9M for 2 years and an option (!) to pay 30 for him permanently. He's 26 and healthy, but he's also not a wide player and those cost more than 10s because they're much easier to fit into a team and harder to find, and you need 2 of them most of the time.

That seems way too high for me. He's a 28 year old winger on massive wages who might be leaving because Mbappe demands a starting spot, and the team was better with Isco in his place anyways and they have Asensio coming up too.

If he was fully healthy, at his age and with the market what it is, I would say 90-100M is right because its just impossible to find wingers who score 1 in every 2 games. But if he misses 40% of games, I would think his fee would go down somewhat commensurately, and he'd go for 60-70M.

People said James would go for 60M and instead he went for 9M for 2 years and an option (!) to pay 30 for him permanently. He's 26 and healthy, but he's also not a wide player and those cost more than 10s because they're much easier to fit into a team and harder to find, and you need 2 of them most of the time.

I agree with your assessment, but look at how much Perez was trying to get us to buy Morata for....there is no way bale would be less. He would be much more

I want bale more than perisic but the arguments against are pretty compelling.

Agree. And people saying Jose wouldn't want him is nonsense. Think it's already been proven that he would go for him, after that video appeared of him after the recent Madrid game.

I agree with your assessment, but look at how much Perez was trying to get us to buy Morata for....there is no way bale would be less. He would be much more

Health aside, Morata is 24. He'll have tons of resale value in 5 years, when Bale is likely finishing up with top level football around age 33 or not possessing much value.

Agree. And people saying Jose wouldn't want him is nonsense. Think it's already been proven that he would go for him, after that video appeared of him after the recent Madrid game.

Mourinho is literally on camera a week ago tapping him up.

Of course he wants him.

If so that's cheap.

Would be extremely wary if that was the price. After Florentino's hard line stance during the Morata negotiations, any situation where it seems like Real are acquiescing too easily should be treated with suspicion.

Some people on here swore blind lukaku would go for 40-50 tops. He went for 75+15 add ons. Bale will be £90m. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Didn't he limp out of Real's training session yesterday? He's an outstanding player but he's too injury prone to come anywhere close to our team. Would much rather have a player who can actually play 30+ games a season.

Didn't he limp out of Real's training session today? He's an outstanding player but he's too injury prone to come anywhere close to our team. Would much rather have a player who can actually play 30+ games a season.

Yes, he did.

He's constantly injured the past 2 seasons.

And with the constant injuries piling up, you worry the effect it has on his body. I don't think his game will age well.

Madrid trying to sign Ousmane Dembele for €90m according to Onda Cero, normally a decent source.

If we got him, I'd love to see him play centrally like he does for Wales. His Wales performances have been some of my favourite performances in general.

If we got him, I'd love to see him play centrally like he does for Wales. His Wales performances have been some of my favourite performances in general.

I'd prefer to see him there as well(if we did sign him).

His best performances in general have come centrally. His great season for Tottenham in 2012-2013 had him playing there too.

Having just got rid of Rooney i don't want us to saddle ourselves with another player in terminal decline like Bale. Bale is a strong pace merchant. if he's losing his pace he offers us little other than to keep our Centre backs company on the treatment table.

He is so painfully one footed he will decline very fast - we are not looking at something like Giggsy last few years here. Giggs had the control and touch to make up for his reducing pace in his last few years so still made a valid contribution.

I think Bale is covering up his reducing pace by clutching at his calf / thigh and being "injured".

We should stay well clear!

Bale isn't just a speed merchant though. Sure it's a big asset for him, but his game is about so much more than that. His technical skill is often underrated I feel. His first touch is great, his weight and range of passing has improved vastly since being at Real and the way he strikes a football is a thing of beauty. He is also now so much cleverer in his movement and the way he positions himself on the pitch. His aerial ability is also terrific. He's got so much to his game.

It's interesting with Giggs as he also had serious injury problems in his late 20's and he obviously had to adapt his game. When you lose your rapid pace you have to have the tools to fall back on...and Bale has those. Now he may not sustain his career for as long as Giggs (body shape may dictate this), but there is no reason he cannot adapt and this I feel is why he has wanted to move centrally. He may end up as a support striker or even a centre forward in the way Ronaldo has developed. He isn't on that level but he has the attributes to be successful in that transition.

If Bale manages his game he will be able to manage his injuries. He could be a fantastic asset for anyone willing to see the bigger picture. He's a wonderful footballer.

This is a really risky move factoring we would still have to shell a substantial amount and the fact that he's an injury crock now, he's also not particularly keen on leaving Real. Considering his powers are fading, his reluctance to leave real and the fact that his next contract will likely be his last big one, I don't want a player that could potentially come for last big paycheck and spend majority of the table on the operating table/sideline and/or not be as effective when playing

Let's make him our Robben, signed from Madrid fairly cheap because of injuries. We'd have a world class winger when healthy and when not, we have decent enough alternatives.

I'd definitely expect more production from 25 Bale starts and 30 starts for Mata/Martial/Rashford/Mkhitaryan/Lingard than I would 40 Perisic starts and 15 from that group.

you're assuming Bale will be world class when fit, the dude's football is based around his physical prowess, with these constant injuries ain't no telling what he's like/will be like when fit, he may very well have lost his pace and power which where his strengths

Didn't realise he only scored 9 goals last season. That's a shocking return for such an expensive player. Also found it interesting that his best season in terms of goals is still his final one at Tottenham. With his increasing injury problems I wonder if he will ever be able to hit those heights again.

I think the only way this would make sense for us is a loan to buy option as Real did with Bayern for James. However, we'd then have him in his best years during the loan and then wouldn't need to pay the fee to make it final, we'd just send him back. So, for Madrid that doesn't make any sense. But I just can't see us paying the ridiculous fee they would want for someone so injury prone.

Hard to say, but I don't see how he can be worth more than when he went including inflation, taking into account age, way less hype, and injury record.

Let's get this done.

Bale is absolutely a risk, but he's the only hope we have of possibly winning the title this year. I want our title back.

Bale isn't just a speed merchant though. Sure it's a big asset for him, but his game is about so much more than that. His technical skill is often underrated I feel. His first touch is great, his weight and range of passing has improved vastly since being at Real and the way he strikes a football is a thing of beauty. He is also now so much cleverer in his movement and the way he positions himself on the pitch. His aerial ability is also terrific. He's got so much to his game.

It's interesting with Giggs as he also had serious injury problems in his late 20's and he obviously had to adapt his game. When you lose your rapid pace you have to have the tools to fall back on...and Bale has those. Now he may not sustain his career for as long as Giggs (body shape may dictate this), but there is no reason he cannot adapt and this I feel is why he has wanted to move centrally. He may end up as a support striker or even a centre forward in the way Ronaldo has developed. He isn't on that level but he has the attributes to be successful in that transition.

If Bale manages his game he will be able to manage his injuries. He could be a fantastic asset for anyone willing to see the bigger picture. He's a wonderful footballer.
Lot of good points in here and agree that Bale is sometimes rated purely on goals/assists.

Watched him for years (I wanted United to buy him years ago both pre and post Spurs) and watch Wales home and away. He's much more than goals .... look at his passes in the build up of two of Wales goals v Belgium in the Euros?

Yes, we want him to score/assist as key priority but he's technically sound and can help link play too. Also seems strong mentally (a key Jose requirement?). I think we can manage his games/condition to max output and focus on key games where that one class moment can make the difference against top.6 and CL matches.

Would be peed if we got fleeced by Madrid (though stance on Morata shows we can stick to our guns) but with new TV monies and huge income we generate, why not use it?

£60m or 1 year loan and option at about that figure would be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.