Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
How likely % wise is it right now that Bale will be a United player come 1 September?

I would say he's staying at Real Madrid for something like 70-80% sure. And if they will sell him, United is maybe one of the top candidates with 25-50% chance. So i would say not more than 5-10% likely. Right now, this is just bs.

Bale joined Real Madrid in 2013. He has played just about 100 games for them since then. Last season alone, Madrid played about 58 games.

I don't think his injury problems are exergerrated. He does get injured very often especially when you consider his price tag.
That's an exaggeration. He's played 100 league games. 150 in total. It's been the last two seasons that he's struggled. Whether this is a long term problem or not remains to be seen.

That's an exaggeration. He's played 100 league games. 150 in total. It's been the last two seasons that he's struggled. Whether this is a long term problem or not remains to be seen.
So just the most recent two back to back seasons then out of his four season stay. 50/50 not bad. It also coincides with him reaching an age where certain speed demons who have started playing regular professional football from a young age have started to regress. But yeah, you never know, 120 million let's go!

Crap post.

Bale has made 150 appearances for Real as per their official website. That's around 38 per season, which isn't great but isn't really bad either. If you are gonna deride him atleast use correct facts.

Thanks for the stat correction mate. I appreciate that. Apologies for the initial wrong numbers.

I was not trying to 'deride' Bale. I actually like him as a player.

Using the Madrid site numbers and other sources here's what I came up with (will be happy for any corrections):

Since Bale joined in 2013, Madrid has played about 224 competitive matches (minus friendlies).

Bale has played 150 which is about 66.9% of the total

Ronaldo has played 195 which is about 89% of the total

Benzema has played 182 which is about 81% of the total

Basically, Bale missed important 74 games for Madrid mainly due to injuries. For a player who was bought at a world record fee and earns about 15 million GBP a year, that is a poor appearance stat if you ask me but I guess how much is too many is subjective and one has to also look at what he has brought to the table for Madrid.

I think it will all come down to price because no one doubts his abilities on the pitch. Considering his age and injury records, if he is sold at a reasonable price, it will be insane not to buy him. But if Madrid insists on selling him at a high price, any buying club has to think long and hard before paying.

Thanks for the stat correction mate. I appreciate that. Apologies for the initial wrong numbers.

I was not trying to 'deride' Bale. I actually like him as a player.

Using the Madrid site numbers and other sources here's what I came up with (will be happy for any corrections):

Since Bale joined in 2013, Madrid has played about 224 competitive matches (minus friendlies).

Bale has played 150 which is about 66.9% of the total

Ronaldo has played 195 which is about 89% of the total

Benzema has played 182 which is about 81% of the total

Basically, Bale missed important 74 games for Madrid mainly due to injuries. For a player who was bought at a world record fee and earns about 15 million GBP a year, that is a poor appearance stat if you ask me but I guess how much is too many is subjective and one has to also look at what he has brought to the table for Madrid.

I think it will all come down to price because no one doubts his abilities on the pitch. Considering his age and injury records, if he is sold at a reasonable price, it will be insane not to buy him. But if Madrid insists on selling him at a high price, any buying club has to think long and hard before paying.
Any team which signs Bale will have to put up with the fact that he will miss a fair few matches due to injuries, there's no two ways about it. What you have to bear in mind though is the impact he will have on the matches he plays. Bale is not like Rooney who needed a few matches to get back into rhythm after a layoff, he can get in the groove pretty quickly. For me, if the alternative to him is a player like Perisic then I will take the gamble with Bale. If we could get someone like Sanchez or Hazard or someone like that then obviously one of the latter would be more preferable. But based on what's available to us in the market, Bale is our best option in that position. He will easily be one of the best players in the league for 2-3 years atleast and for me such a guy, even one who plays only 70% of our matches is worth having.

So just the most recent two back to back seasons then out of his four season stay. 50/50 not bad. It also coincides with him reaching an age where certain speed demons who have started playing regular professional football from a young age have started to regress. But yeah, you never know, 120 million let's go!

Crap post.
I never said he isn't likely to have recurring injury problems. Just that to say he's only played 100 games in four is a huge under estimation. Shit reply.

Pretty sure other clubs will gladly outbid us if that is our maximum offer.

Many right now will say thank god if the walking wounded Welshman ends up at City or Chelsea, but I doubt many will still hold those views nearer the end of the season. If he stays fit, he'll be at the very top of the list in terms of star performers in the Premier League.

I do concede though there is a big question how many great seasons Bale has left in him. And it could easily be less than a few great seasons if injuries continue. I'd still love for us to take the gamble though, but of course it's not very difficult spending huge sums of other people's money!!!

I reckon it's between us and Chelsea if Real decides to offload Bale for Mbappe. I know they are not strapped for cash, but if Mbappe demands significant playing time, then Real might decide to cash in on Bale considering his fitness and the salary he is on.

70-75 mil seems a fair price to me provided some of it is in future payments based on appearances and productivity. Again like I said earlier, madrid may demand well over it, and we may have to give in, considering how desperate we are to add world class quality to the XI.

On this forum, there seems a bizarre belief that the older players get, the worse they become.
I'm sure that if some had their way, they'd have our first team made up of 16 year olds.

In general, footballers, enter their prime in their mid-20s, reaching their peak in the late 20s.
As for Bale, the only reservation I have about him is his poor injury record. Every time I read about him (at Madrid), Bale is either injured or returning from injury.

It's bizarre when discussing our team in particular which is obviously lacking the influence of older figures. Going well beyond peak performances, we collectively lack an appreciation for the stronger mental fortitude that older players offer. There's a reason why a 35-year-old Michael Carrick who won't play most weeks is now our captain.

How can people be so negative about the chance of us signing anyone? I would love to know why people are so negative? I can quite comfortably say, these would be the same people, who said we had 0 chance of signing Pogba.

People act as though we're a tier 3 team and have no clout.

He's always injured, does't effect results enough when he does play, is fast approaching 30 and will cost an arm and a leg. No thanks.

Use the money to buy two younger players with lots of potential.

With the money required to get Bale, why don't we go all out to get Sanchez who is a better player, less injury prone, cheaper on his last year contract, works harder on the field and less drama.

The only thing I agree with in this statement is the "less injury prone" thing - so far Bale has not thrown any strop that I know of at Real, and from what I seen in him during his Spurs days, he does work hard for the team as well, though I think his talents and energy are better channeled to helping his team score and create goals.

He's just what we need, and would significantly improve our attack. I don't want us signing a player unless he will be an upgrade, and Bale would be. Further he's already familiar with the PL so hopefully that means he'd settle quickly.

He's always injured, does't effect results enough when he does play, is fast approaching 30 and will cost an arm and a leg. No thanks.

He'll be 30 in 2 years. He isn't approaching it faster than anyone else. Also, players aren't executed when they hit 30 years of age.

I would love him here. It isn't going to happen, though.

Gareth Bale, Gareth Bale
Running down someone else's wing

His injury record scares the bejesus out of me, I felt like he was always prone to miss the odd few games during his career, but since his Real move, it feels as if he's gone down with injuries every other game I've sat down to watch Madrid in the last couple years.
He's a quality player, lets be honest, in our hearts we'd all be excited if we purchased him, but the head worries we may end up with a player stuck in the treatment room with a chronic reoccurring injury on 350k a week. Wishing he could recover in time for that big game coming up, but never actually does.

For the 80-100mill fee and a 4 year 60mill wage contract that we'd have offer, you just feel theres smarter investments out there that would actually be involved every saturday.

It's laughable how many people here wouldn't take this signing. You lot need to refamiliarize yourself with who this player is and what he has done throughout his career. It's like injuries mean he's all of a sudden a crap footballer for the 38 games a season he does play. Gareth Bale for 2/3 of a season is still a vast upgrade over every attacker we have.

Riddle me this, if we had Gareth Bale for however many games that he played last season, how many more points in the league could we have won? We have Lingard starting match after match after match and people are saying no to Gareth Bale, my god.

It's laughable how many people here wouldn't take this signing. You lot need to refamiliarize yourself with who this player is and what he has done throughout his career. It's like injuries mean he's all of a sudden a crap footballer for the 38 games a season he does play. Gareth Bale for 2/3 of a season is still a vast upgrade over every attacker we have.

Riddle me this, if we had Gareth Bale for however many games that he played last season, how many more points in the league could we have won? We have Lingard starting match after match after match and people are saying no to Gareth Bale, my god.
Watch someone bring in the price and age argument in 3..2..1

His agent's quotes seem to confirm that the latest article by Duncan was a leak from Jose. Madrid perhaps wouldn't mind selling going by Zidane's comments, but Bale himself doesn't want to move, so we are already distancing ourselves from this rumor. Nothing in it anymore.

How can people be so negative about the chance of us signing anyone? I would love to know why people are so negative? I can quite comfortably say, these would be the same people, who said we had 0 chance of signing Pogba.

People act as though we're a tier 3 team and have no clout.

I think it's more that we have tried for him before and got nowhere, and there is little to indicate anything has changed in that respect.

Real don't need him. He's still got value. if they want max return on him, now is the time to cash in. He's 28 now, you'd imagine his value after this season would start to drop. I'd say anyone interested in him would leave this until last min on transfer day in the hope of getting a better deal. Real are interested in Mbappe, but they've sold Morata and Danilo. I think the bigger issue here is Real have a somewhat ageing squad in that players like Modric, Ramos and Ronaldo are all in their 30's, Benzema is getting up there too now. Not too much needs to be done squad wise for them this season. But over next couple of seasons, they will need to be looking at some upgrading. They could see Bale in this super inflated market as some nice cash in the bank for squad reinvestment down the line.

Yeah because you know what we are completely lacking in young players with potential, and it has completely worked for us so far. The issue is a lack of quality right now, we have our own youngsters to try and bed in all of whom are inconsistent. Plus the cost of young players with potential has turned into a farce.

Reactions: Penna
His injury record scares the bejesus out of me, I felt like he was always prone to miss the odd few games during his career, but since his Real move, it feels as if he's gone down with injuries every other game I've sat down to watch Madrid in the last couple years.
He's a quality player, lets be honest, in our hearts we'd all be excited if we purchased him, but the head worries we may end up with a player stuck in the treatment room with a chronic reoccurring injury on 350k a week. Wishing he could recover in time for that big game coming up, but never actually does.

For the 80-100mill fee and a 4 year 60mill wage contract that we'd have offer, you just feel theres smarter investments out there that would actually be involved every saturday.

I thought I read somewhere that was the reason Perez wouldn't mind selling him. However that could be journalistic crap. However I would be interested to know how many games he has indeed missed through injury over the last two seasons. I reckon it's pretty substantial.

Yeah because you know what we are completely lacking in young players with potential, and it has completely worked for us so far. The issue is a lack of quality right now, we have our own youngsters to try and bed in all of whom are inconsistent. Plus the cost of young players with potential has turned into a farce.
Exactly. We don't need any more potential at the moment. We need end products if we want to be winning things soon. Why sign someone in the hope that he might turn out to be as good as Gareth Bale someday if we can just sign the actual Gareth Bale right now?

Spanish Papers on Bale's case. Typical. Same was with di Maria.

It's this which is making me think there might just be something in this. It feels like Real Madrid are pushing this a little.

They definitely are. They sure know how to get a player to leave when he is no longer wanted.

An injury prone overhyped British talent. This is a match from heaven. Imagine how Shaw and him are going to dominate the treatment room. Their overlaps for the next treatment room table will bring shivers to Owen Hargreaves spine.

Seriously guys. If we're desperate for a big name then lets wait for Griezmann. At least he is producing the goods.

It's this which is making me think there might just be something in this. It feels like Real Madrid are pushing this a little.
Ofcourse they are. Isco has done brilliantly in his absence and they're about to add Mbappe who wants one of the BBC off before joining. Bale is easily the best bet to get rid off especially when you consider the mental money he's on.

We'd be mugs to sign him now. Real fecked up giving him an insane contract until 2022 last October and they know it, and are hoping we're stupid enough to take him off their hands. We'd basically be paying for Real's mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.