Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have thought this might happen pretty much every summer since he moved to Spain.

It's not going to.

They don't need to sell him. He doesn't want to leave.

The talent in our squad is embarrassing compared to theirs.

I have thought this might happen pretty much every summer since he moved to Spain.

It's not going to.

They don't need to sell him. He doesn't want to leave.

The talent in our squad is embarrassing compared to theirs.

Real & Barca, the two teams who've just dominated the Champions League the last 4 years out of 4 between them have more talent right now than rebuilding United?! Shocked!

Woe betide us, poor Baleless peasants.

Last edited:
if Madrid are buying M'Bappe and have to/want to sell Bale there's a handful of clubs who could afford him.....

United, City, Chelsea and PSG

reckon PSG and us would be most likely
PSG will pay 120M to madrid so Real can buy Mbappe for 180M? Cant see it.

Why not pay 80M more and have Mbappe themselves or Stick with Neymar. They wont take Bale as a replacement cast off it would be a huge kick in the teeth. Of course its all Hypothetical and its IF real need the funds and IF Bale is actually for sale IF PSG wont get Neymar or Monaco actually sell Mbappe to PSG.

I personally think Juve would have a look if Bale was available. But really who would buy him? His price wont be anywhere near as high as others claim as his wages are too high he is not as hot as he was when he left spurs and while real want to shift him on but he does not want to leave. Add to that he's a little late to the party, big money has already been spent clubs are up to their necks is negotiations. The whole bale thing could get things moving in a big hury up.

IF... he is actually for sale

We wont pay the price Real want and Bale doesn't want to leave anyway.

The press run out of people to link us with so go back to this every few weeks, he has never indicated he was wanted to come here, and IF he did, it would be because he is forced, and dont want that at the club.

I actually don't want bale as good as he is or was.
He doesn't really want to come here.
He'll cost a fortune.
He's got a bad injury record.
He's already hit his peak and got his big move and rejected us in the past. He's got very little left to prove.
United should be looking for players on an upward curve who always see us as a step up. I don't feel that way about this transfer. We are just one of the clubs who can afford players Madrid doesn't want. We should be all over the players they are trying to sign after they offload these players they are 'stuck' with on huge deals and very few clubs who can sign them.

Oh great ! ....so we may be buying Gareth "Sicknote" Bale.

Brilliant on his day, but at the kind of fee and wages he would command surely there must be other fitter and younger options.

Despite Zidane saying otherwise, I suspect Zidane can't wait to get rid of him.

Here's an idea .... how about United unloading some of their own deadwood and making a bid for Mbappe instead of paving the way for others.

Would love the fallout from RM, Man City and Arsenal if United could land him ....can only dream.

Last edited:
PSG will pay 120M to madrid so Real can buy Mbappe for 180M? Cant see it.

Why not pay 80M more and have Mbappe themselves or Stick with Neymar. They wont take Bale as a replacement cast off it would be a huge kick in the teeth. Of course its all Hypothetical and its IF real need the funds and IF Bale is actually for sale IF PSG wont get Neymar or Monaco actually sell Mbappe to PSG.

I personally think Juve would have a look if Bale was available. But really who would buy him? His price wont be anywhere near as high as others claim as his wages are too high he is not as hot as he was when he left spurs and while real want to shift him on but he does not want to leave. Add to that he's a little late to the party, big money has already been spent clubs are up to their necks is negotiations. The whole bale thing could get things moving in a big hury up.

IF... he is actually for sale
from all accounts M'Bappe is set on Madrid - He's been visiting the club since he was 14 according to Graham Hunter - think Monaco would prefer to sell abroad rather than PSG

according to Hunter the two serious rivals for M'Bappe are Madrid and City

It feels weird being in the camp of not wanting United to sign Bale for the many reasons stated on this thread, but I am. The big 'but' for me is he could really improve the squad over the next couple years (I know, when healthy and that is important) and give United a real match winner.

Not sure of his best position these days but front 3 or of Bale, Rashford, and Lukaku mixed in with Mkhitaryan, Martial and
Mata could do a lot of damage.

I was going to say that Bale is about the same age, as injury-prone and as reluctant to leave as Robben was when he left Madrid and that worked out well, but Robben was a few years younger wasn't he? Christ he's been around forever.

I was going to say that Bale is about the same age, as injury-prone and as reluctant to leave as Robben was when he left Madrid and that worked out well, but Robben was a few years younger wasn't he? Christ he's been around forever.

But Robben could just be the exception, doesn't mean we would get the same fortune with Bale. Maybe Bale isn't a chronic sicknote and has just been unfortunate with different injuries, I don't know the details. Maybe someone less lazy than me could enlighten us, and if we actually are risking spending a shitload on Bale.

We'd be much better off signing Perisic. Cheaper, doesn't rely on pace (injuries/aging), and will be a crossing machine for Lukaku. It's about finding players that fit the puzzle and make the team greater than the sum of its parts. I'd rather we save the big money for Griezman next year.

We'd be much better off signing Perisic. Cheaper, doesn't rely on pace (injuries/aging), and will be a crossing machine for Lukaku. It's about finding players that fit the puzzle and make the team greater than the sum of its parts. I'd rather we save the big money for Griezman next year.
I am on the Perisic boat, but tbh Bale can be a big game changer which leads us to a higher level. Thing is by Castles' account, Mourinho's groundwork (work out with Bale's connection) doesn't respond positive with Bale is not keen on moving away. This can lead to another Di Maria version where Madrid push to sell, but we ended up with ill motivated players who couldn't pull out his best. If that's the case, I agree we shoudl steer clear. That's not even considering Bale's injury problem.

Come on. We're talking about Gareth Bale here. Perisic crossing might be a stand out quality of his but Bale's is still better. He is an elite footballer.

Come on. We're talking about Gareth Bale here. Perisic crossing might be a stand out quality of his but Bale's is still better. He is an elite footballer.

If the name Gareth Bale meant elite footballer, Real wouldn't be selling him. He hasn't been able to stay healthy, his pace which is his best attribute is bound to decline shortly, and he'll be way overpriced for what we'd actually get out of him.

Perisic now for LW, and break the bank for Griezmann next year. Our RW plays the free role that would be perfect for Griezmann. We'll be a powerhouse again by 2018. Bale will be a Rooney in 2 years.

If the name Gareth Bale meant elite footballer, Real wouldn't be selling him. He hasn't been able to stay healthy, his pace which is his best attribute is bound to decline shortly, and he'll be way overpriced for what we'd actually get out of him.

Perisic now for LW, and break the bank for Griezmann next year. Our RW plays the free role that would be perfect for Griezmann. We'll be a powerhouse again by 2018. Bale will be a Rooney in 2 years.
It's not the worst argument I've ever heard but I still don't totally agree with you. He would have a mega impact which is what we are crying out for. But yeah his injury record is concerning.

I wished we would beat Spurs to his signature all those years ago. Between 2010 and 2014 when he was in his prime he was amazing. I don't know why this forum never gives consideration to any wingers under the age of 28 though.

I wished we would beat Spurs to his signature all those years ago. Between 2010 and 2014 when he was in his prime he was amazing. I don't know why this forum never gives consideration to any wingers under the age of 28 though.

Coming from you that's saying something!

I don't get why people keep saying he's not moving because he wants to stay. Since when does that matter at Madrid? There's countless examples of players who would rather not leave Madrid and did just that when the writing was on the wall in terms of diminished playing time. Di Maria, Robben, James, etc.

What matters is if he's open to playing for us if/when moved aside to make room for Mbappe.

Where would Bale play? Would he be willing to play LW again?
Free role similar to Ronaldo, so doesn't matter where his initial position is. If we're to sign him, he should be the focal point of supply. So not a balanced wing play, but some sort of forward play like Eto'o, Sneijder & Milito with Lukaku stays centrally, Sneijder & Eto'o offer a bit width but Eto'o still get plenty forward role while let say Micky to replicate Sneijder role as wide playmaker.

It's not the worst argument I've ever heard but I still don't totally agree with you. He would have a mega impact which is what we are crying out for. But yeah his injury record is concerning.

It's a tough argument; I almost don't believe it myself. You are right though; Bale would be a mega signing and instantly makes us title favorites if he's healthy. My issue is the injury risk relative to the price. I'm imagining Madrid will want £100m for him. If we spend that we aren't buying anyone else. If Bale gets injured like he has the last two years (in a less physical league than the PL) we'd have gotten no better. Add Perisic and another CM instead and our ceiling isn't as high, but our floor is much better. With a coach like Mourinho who can make the sum of the parts better than the individual, we don't need to risk it on Bale.

Fecking bale we should have bought him when he was a kid before Spurs ever got him his talent was well known.
Now I'm not sure with his injury record. IMO his bulk up affected him too much

We need a third world class player alongside Pogba and De Gea which Bale totally fits the bill. And he'll be on Pogba's wavelength and Pogba will finally have someone near or on his level to play with :drool:

With the money required to get Bale, why don't we go all out to get Sanchez who is a better player, less injury prone, cheaper on his last year contract, works harder on the field and less drama.

Wenger won't sell to a team in the Prem

PSG most likely if not he will stay

City and PSG are favorite to sign Sanchez. Both are reported to bid around 60 mil. That's probably only half the value of Bale. And Sanchez will be on lower wage as well.

Realistically we have a chance if we want him with the money we made available for Bale. Bid 70 to 80 mil and Arsenal will be crazy to reject for a 28 years old player on his last year contract.

Does this not remind anyone of the schweinsteiger deal? Exactly what we need if he was about 3/ 4 years younger and less injury prone

With the money required to get Bale, why don't we go all out to get Sanchez who is a better player, less injury prone, cheaper on his last year contract, works harder on the field and less drama.

What?

Also - For me, on their day, i'd take Bale over Sanchez every time.

Wenger won't sell to a team in the Prem

PSG most likely if not he will stay
Well he sold RVP to us and as a result we won the league. Anyway if Bale can remain healthy he would be an incredible buy. He is the best British player of his generation, he carried his 'minnow' nation to the Euros semi-final and has made an impact in Spain. He is, if healthy what we need, a truly world class player.

Not quite sure why many think Madrid need to find Mbappe money. They're on the same level as us when it comes to finances. They don't need to sell anyone to buy someone big.

Not quite sure why many think Madrid need to find Mbappe money. They're on the same level as us when it comes to finances. They don't need to sell anyone to buy someone big.

True. But that's not why people think they are selling someone big. They didn't need Ozil money to finance Bale either. But they refuse to have a global star on the bench digging into their wage budget especially if they can be sold. A model which we would probably adapt if people wanted to pay the going rate for our high earners but unfortunately we end up giving them away most of the time.

Bale is a far better player than Perisic (and Dembele for that matter), but people are exaggerating a bit here. He is 28 years old, with his game being extremely depended on speed, and it is possible that the speed will be gone in 2 years. The biggest problem though is that he is injured for 1/3 of a season, if not more. And that is a very big problem for a player who will cost 100m+, will need to get payed 20m+/year, hasn't been a top 10 player (even ignoring the injuries) for the last two seasons and has absolutely no resale value.

It could easily be an another Rooney scenario, when we pay big for him, have a very good season out of him and then with injury problems and age he becomes mediocre but we have to play him cause he cost too much and has a too high wage.

They definitely do not need money to finance Mbappe. They're filthy rich and they haven't spent much in the last 2 summers, so they should be easily able to buy Mbappe and spent money on other reinforcements too. We spent around 350m in this and the previous 2 summers, while Madrid has spent almost nothing.

However, they have a bigger wage than us, and really, it doesn't make sense to leave on the bench a player who is payed 20m/year and for whom they can get circa 100m. A bit like Di Maria/Ozil scenario when they didn't need to sell them, but they sold them cause it made sense to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.