Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has this injury prone stuff come from? Hasn't he only been injured twice this season and that's only cause Zidane brought him back too early after the first injury?

Seems exaggerated from where I'm standing..

Bale joined Real Madrid in 2013. He has played just about 100 games for them since then. Last season alone, Madrid played about 58 games.

I don't think his injury problems are exergerrated. He does get injured very often especially when you consider his price tag.

Mourinho wants Bale.

Bale will come if he feels Madrid want to get rid of him.

For the fees branded for Mbappe, I'd rather have Rashford in my team. You can't replace the feeling when one of your 'own' are in the team and score goals.

I was going to say that Bale is about the same age, as injury-prone and as reluctant to leave as Robben was when he left Madrid and that worked out well, but Robben was a few years younger wasn't he? Christ he's been around forever.

Robben went to the Bundesliga where his team, Bayern, had little rivalry and was full of world class stars. The many times he got injured at Bayern, his team kept destroying opponents.

Things will be very different in today's highly competitive EPL where players are more physical and narrow margins separate the top teams.

Injury problems are the only reason why I'm not sure that I'd want him. Otherwise he's the game changer we desperately need. His age and injury record means that we should not be paying over the odds for him. I say let's wait and see or rather let's go about our business with Matic and monitor Madrid's situation.

I know he's had a fair few injuries but can anyone shed any light on what they were. I'd be more concerned if it was the same kind of repeat injury like ankle ligaments etc.

If I remember correctly didn't Giggs suffer a lot with his hamstrings in his mid late 20s till they changed his warm up and exercise routine.

Still think he's worth a punt at the right price

Will he improve us ? I think the answer is yes !
Will he sell the most shirts ?
Yes !
Can he win us tight matches with a moment of magic ?
Yes !
No brainer

How likely % wise is it right now that Bale will be a United player come 1 September?
I'd say about 10%. These things have to happen. Mbappe has to go to Madrid, Bale has to be deemed surplus to requirements (either him or Benzema), we have to agree a price with Madrid, Bale has to want to come, we have to be the only club interested capable of buying him who Bale is also interested in coming to.

I think there's always a chance, it's just a long shot.

Get yer Essien calculators out.

It seems to me that chasing Bale would be pointless for many reasons. Don't get me wrong, he'd be great for us I think, and should have been the natural successor to Giggs/Beckham, but he never seemed keen on us. Now he's settled in Spain where he has a lifestyle he's unlikely to want to change. He clearly doesn't want to leave Madrid and we'd have to deal with that bloody club as well as then being left with a player who's heart is elsewhere....IF he even agreed to move here. It could be worse than the Di Maria situation and we'd be fleeced by Madrid in the process.

How likely % wise is it right now that Bale will be a United player come 1 September?

I'd say around 5% if that. If he felt forced out and there were no other major options then it could happen, but even then, Mourinho said he wants players who want to come here.

Yeah I would call this a very longshot. I guess the only things in our favour are that Jose has spoken to him, and said he wants to buy him, he had a little jokey chat with Lukaku and we are in the market for a player exactly of his type, although having said that, if Bale becomes available then every man and his dog will be in the market for him.

The negatives are that, as stated above, so many things have to happen first and generally speaking he has never really wanted to play for us, he has had so many opportunities over the years and never really shown any interest, which isnt a great thing in a signing of this size.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman
Fecking 0 chance this one. He's happy at Madrid and i think the two clubs aren't on the best of terms after the De Gea saga then the Morata smokescreen.

There is no question he'd take us up a notch. He's world class. His injury record is a worry though. For the fee RM would ask I think this is too risky. The only way I can see us signing him is, if Madrid are willing to accept significant portion of the fee as add-ons dependant on his fitness or number of matches he plays. That said, I get the feeling he would rather be a RM bench warmer than come here.

Edit: He's on £310k per week pre tax, not £600k per week.

Fecking 0 chance this one. He's happy at Madrid and i think the two clubs aren't on the best of terms after the De Gea saga then the Morata smokescreen.

They clearly need the money or Mbappe might end up at City. They will deal with us. It seems to me that we are acting disinterested in as a negotiating tactic on price. It will be a game of brinkmanship.

The injury record is worrying, although a reason for a more reasonable price

Guessing 10%

First of all, I don't think Bale wants to leave Madrid. There's no real reason to downgrade, he's one of the best players in the world and I'm sure he backs himself to continue to prove himself at Madrid.

Although we've freed up a lot of wages, he's rumoured to be on around 400k+ a week. That and the fact that I don't think the club would be willing to sanction 2 transfers which are over £75M in one window. Not to mention that Madrid will want to extort us.

The only way I can see this happening is if Bale is forced out the club, which is if they want Mbappe that badly. So the only way for this transfer to happen is relying on Madrid.

There is no question he'd take us up a notch. He's world class. His injury record is a worry though. For the fee RM would ask I think this is too risky. The only way I can see us signing him is, if Madrid are willing to accept significant portion of the fee as add-ons dependant on his fitness or number of matches he plays. That said, I get the feeling he would rather be a RM bench warmer than come here.

Edit: He's on £310k per week pre tax, not £600k per week.
Source for this?
The 600k or whatever comes from
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022
Not exactly the mail or the star..

Bale joined Real Madrid in 2013. He has played just about 100 games for them since then. Last season alone, Madrid played about 58 games.

I don't think his injury problems are exergerrated. He does get injured very often especially when you consider his price tag.
Bale has made 150 appearances for Real as per their official website. That's around 38 per season, which isn't great but isn't really bad either. If you are gonna deride him atleast use correct facts.

Last edited:
Bale's injury problems from last season stemmed from rushing back too soon after the initial injury. A choice between Perisic at £50m or Bale at £100m is a no brainer.

Of the BBC, he is the most likely to be sold to allow Real to buy M'Bappe and we should be all over it. We should be playing them at their own game with some not so subtle tapping up.

They clearly need the money or Mbappe might end up at City. They will deal with us. It seems to me that we are acting disinterested in as a negotiating tactic on price. It will be a game of brinkmanship.

They've already made over £100m from Morata and Danilo, They can't be that hard up.

I'm struggling to think of a reason madrid need to sell Bale to fund for Mbappe. They have already sold Morata and Danilo for £84m and some other players too amounting to about £100m while signing only Cabellos(IIRC). If they sign Mbappe for £160m that will keep their net spend around £70m and their gross spend at around 180m; thats less than man city have spent this summer and potentially us. Mancity have spent >£200 without selling any key player while we have spent £105m and yet to buy a winger and midfielder while selling only Januzaj. Also, their net price at £70m will put them below at least five clubs in europe at the end of the summer IMO, and considering they are the second richest club in the world, i don't see how you got to that logic.

50 mil upfront. 10 mil if he makes 100 appearances and another 10 if he scores/assists 100. That'd be a fair deal imo. But knowing Perez and the stuff that's been going on between the two clubs, it's more likely to be around the Pogba fee.

2015/16 season Bale missed 15 games, 2016/17 season he missed 29 games.

So he's missed 44 games in the last 2 seasons and will be wanting £300,000+ per week .....what a bargain!

Will he improve us ? I think the answer is yes !
Will he sell the most shirts ?
Yes !

Can he win us tight matches with a moment of magic ?
Yes !
No brainer

Im not so sure about that. As far superstars go he is a pretty boring guy and has no 'wow' factor really.

I would bet on Pogba being more marketable than him.

On what planet is 27-28 years too old for a player?
We'd atleast get 5 great years of him.

On this forum, there seems a bizarre belief that the older players get, the worse they become.
I'm sure that if some had their way, they'd have our first team made up of 16 year olds.

In general, footballers, enter their prime in their mid-20s, reaching their peak in the late 20s.
As for Bale, the only reservation I have about him is his poor injury record. Every time I read about him (at Madrid), Bale is either injured or returning from injury.

Lad, it's Bale.

On a more serious note I hope he stays at Madrid for a few years yet and never comes to United.

Why dont you want us to sign Bale? Please dont use the injury argument, because it may be of the past or it might not be. We dont know tomorrow. I mean, the guy is a world class footballer and we know he has improved a lot since he left the Premier League.

Im not so sure about that. As far superstars go he is a pretty boring guy and has no 'wow' factor really.

I would bet on Pogba being more marketable than him.

Put him in a monkey cage, like Madrid did when they unveiled him and he'll sell shirts.

Why dont you want us to sign Bale? Please dont use the injury argument, because it may be of the past or it might not be. We dont know tomorrow. I mean, the guy is a world class footballer and we know he has improved a lot since he left the Premier League.
I don't think he is world class. And no, we don't know what will happen but he has had injury problems and will cost a bomb. I've never been a fan of Bale and rather we look elsewhere and/or go back for Griezmann next year.

50 mil upfront. 10 mil if he makes 100 appearances and another 10 if he scores/assists 100. That'd be a fair deal imo. But knowing Perez and the stuff that's been going on between the two clubs, it's more likely to be around the Pogba fee.

Pretty sure other clubs will gladly outbid us if that is our maximum offer.

Many right now will say thank god if the walking wounded Welshman ends up at City or Chelsea, but I doubt many will still hold those views nearer the end of the season. If he stays fit, he'll be at the very top of the list in terms of star performers in the Premier League.

I do concede though there is a big question how many great seasons Bale has left in him. And it could easily be less than a few great seasons if injuries continue. I'd still love for us to take the gamble though, but of course it's not very difficult spending huge sums of other people's money!!!

Where all this "zero chance, he won't come to us" stuff comes from? Wherever we are linked to a world class or even simply exceptional player, there are loads of such opinions.

Be it bale, Neymar, a. Sanchez, Vidal, o. Dembele or someone else for that matter - we always see "he doesn't want to come" thing. Are we a second tier team or what? It is Manchester United, not some lowly club, why on earth a player "100% doesn't want to come"?

Man Utd can offer wages, can offer an opportunity to challenge for titles, to play in the most popular championship, and it is also a team with reportedly the largest fan base worldwide, led by one of the most successful manager of the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.