Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

oh right :lol: I saw that yeah but i didn't open, thought it was a general discussion of episodes 4-6 once aired.

what fecking weirdo would want the show spoiled on them before watching it? bizarre.
Think it mostly comes down to either people wanting to moan about where it is going before it even happens, and mostly the opportunity for people to sound smart about "predicting" the endings now to those who aren't aware of the spoilers. Shite either way.

oh right :lol: I saw that yeah but i didn't open, thought it was a general discussion of episodes 4-6 once aired.

what fecking weirdo would want the show spoiled on them before watching it? bizarre.

Yeah I never understand that, especially when you are involved in discussions about the show.
Whats even annoying is when people who read said spoilers then share it with people who dont want to know.

Never underestimate the pathetic levels people will drop to just to look smart on the internet. Robin was never the only one, just the most desperate for attention.

Never underestimate the pathetic levels people will drop to just to look smart on the internet. Robin was never the only one, just the most desperate for attention.
True, but.. I still don't get it. I've watched this show for the best part of a decade now and the idea of having any of the final season spoiled on me before I see it is mind boggling.

Although actually I wouldn't have minded episode four being spoiled on me in advance, at least it could've prepared me for how dogshit it was!

Wasn't there someone on here who hated the 3rd episode even though he hadn't seen it yet, but had already read multiple breakdowns of what happened?

Wasn't there someone on here who hated the 3rd episode even though he hadn't seen it yet, but had already read multiple breakdowns of what happened?
Here :p
And watching it hasn't changed anything for the better :lol:

6h2flpgvp9x21.jpg

Been watching S5 with gf as she catches up. It is such a slog. Watched five episodes and damn, it's bleh. Huge contrast to s4 which is one of my fav seasons

S5 had dorne, Harpy's and introduction of high sparrow stuff. And Arya training to become noone but it just felt too long esp in hindsight
S5 is one that I felt was better with week to week viewing
S4 watched In a day or so on this repeat viewing
S5 is being broken across days

S5 had the best and most highly argued moment in all of the show.

Vinegar or Vanilla.
Haha. That topped the 'did Jamie rape cersei' debate I remember reading in this thread.

And of course one of my Eps in hardhome
However S5 prob worse than s8
Maybe

Most of these are from season 5, with a bit of 6 thrown in:

S5 is weird - it's where the show really starts to unravel but there's not quite the same jarring tonal shift that really starts to appear in S6, which is at face value a better season.

Although perhaps controversially I also think S4 is where a lot of problems started to emerge, with the good material masking a lot of the pacing/plotting/character errors creeping in.

Edit: shirtless Ramsay above is the perfect example of that, so many problems with the scene.

S5 is weird - it's where the show really starts to unravel but there's not quite the same jarring tonal shift that really starts to appear in S6, which is at face value a better season.

Although perhaps controversially I also think S4 is where a lot of problems started to emerge, with the good material masking a lot of the pacing/plotting/character errors creeping in.

Edit: shirtless Ramsay above is the perfect example of that, so many problems with the scene.

I won't talk in depth about it in here, mostly because I don't remember fully anyway (I listened on audio book :lol:), but I think it's safe to say they deviated away from the books much further back than people think. The made for tv moments started creeping in so much earlier.

Although to go against that, as I've stated numerous times lately, the best made for tv moment came in s1 with Jaime vs Ned.

I'd forgotten about shirtless Ramsay until someone mentioned it a few days ago. feck me, that whole scenario was shite. :lol:
Their first episode of ridiculous invincible cartoon villains. Then the incident of ser Twenty of house Goodmen...

I liked that scene where the sand snake stabbed the whiny cnut in the back of the face.

Also what's wrong with Ramsay and his few good men? The fact he fights without armor or something?

I won't talk in depth about it in here, mostly because I don't remember fully anyway (I listened on audio book :lol:), but I think it's safe to say they deviated away from the books much further back than people think. The made for tv moments started creeping in so much earlier.

Although to go against that, as I've stated numerous times lately, the best made for tv moment came in s1 with Jaime vs Ned.

Season 2 especially had loads of non-book stuff, since Robb, Tywin and Jaime barely appear in the second book. Most of it was excellent, e.g.

Watched that full video - fecking hell I forgot how dreadful the Dorne fight was, Catwoman levels of editing.

The Kingsmoot probably takes the cake for worst writing in the show.

Also what's wrong with Ramsay and his few good men? The fact he fights without armor or something?
Those were two different scenes. Shirtless Ramsey was facing Yara when they tried to free Theon, and she didn't totally slaughter him like the unarmored idiot he was.
Then Ramsey and ser Twenty Goodmen off-screen destroyed Stannis' whole supply stash without any problems, thus destroying his way superior army just like that.

I liked that scene where the sand snake stabbed the whiny cnut in the back of the face.

Aye, up against a load of hardened warriors and just emerges shirtless straight from bed.:lol:

Season 2 especially had loads of non-book stuff, since Robb, Tywin and Jaime barely appear in the second book. Most of it was excellent, e.g.

The last couple of books were boring anyway, well the last one was but they both suffered some poor writing.

Yeah I said it, I don't particularly like GRRM's style of writing. The world is great, the characters are too, but I could do without the endless descriptions of food and terrible sex.

The Arya-Tywin scenes were very good in that regard. I get the impression in the earlier seasons D&D enjoyed tinkering around a bit while knowing they had a structure they could stick to - allowed them to put their own mark on their version of the work while still staying true to what it was supposed to be. All the Varys/Littlefinger scenes tended to be great as well.

There is also a Threadmark in this thread for Vanillagate. A classic moment. :lol:
I just viewed a few threadmarks for some of the bigger episodes
Didn't realise how many people complained even during the earlier seasons.

Filler episode
Episode being too wwelike
It's too predictable as the good guy doesn't win
Story has stagnated
Etc

Seriously :lol:

The last couple of books were boring anyway, well the last one was but they both suffered some poor writing.

They’re definitely tougher to adapt than the first three, but there’s more than enough epic material in them for more talented writers than these guys to maintain the previous quality. The two guys pretty much did everything wrong with them, omitting the wrong characters and plots and butchering those they included, to the point that in one case (Dorne) it plays out almost exactly opposite. People rightly note that the quality nose-dived when they ran out of book material, but on the other hand they chose not include loads of epic stuff.

I just viewed a few threadmarks for some of the bigger episodes
Didn't realise how many people complained even during the earlier seasons.

Filler episode
Episode being too wwelike
It's too predictable as the good guy doesn't win
Story has stagnated
Etc

Seriously :lol:

Yeah I had a look at 04-10, where loads of epic stuff happens, and everyone’s like “yeah that was ok I suppose, decent enough episode.”

Those were two different scenes. Shirtless Ramsey was facing Yara when they tried to free Theon, and she didn't totally slaughter him like the unarmored idiot he was.
Then Ramsey and ser Twenty Goodmen off-screen destroyed Stannis' whole supply stash without any problems, thus destroying his way superior army just like that.

Aye, up against a load of hardened warriors and just emerges shirtless straight from bed.:lol:

I thought it was pretty bad ass of him :nervous:

Also didn't D&D have "creative differences" with Martin? He regularly wrote episodes and was used as a consultant but from S4 onwards his contribution stopped and the whole show feels like it was written by comitee.

HBO offered D&D the funding for 10 full length seasons and they turned it down. And D&D have been vocal about how they didn't want to follow/adapt the last two books. While I feel they have been given cliff notes to the end of the story the journey they've taken to get there will be massively different from the books, if we ever get them. For example I can't see Dany ever going beyond the wall and the in turn I don't she'll lose her dragons the way she has in the show.

Since season 5 they have definitely written episodes and seasons based around set pieces and what makes the biggest spectacle on screen.

Yeah I said it, I don't particularly like GRRM's style of writing. The world is great, the characters are too, but I could do without the endless descriptions of food and terrible sex.
Lamprey pie. Always with the lamprey pie.

Since season 5 they have definitely written episodes and seasons based around set pieces and what makes the biggest spectacle on screen.
Pretty much. Season seven and eight are basically "get everyone in the right place for an epic battle/set piece and feck any sort of logic in order to do so". They seem to think most watchers only care about those big battle sequences anymore which is a shame because the show was originally built on its politics and characters above all else. I mean, earlier seasons didn't even show the battles!

Pretty much. Season seven and eight are basically "get everyone in the right place for an epic battle/set piece and feck any sort of logic in order to do so". They seem to think most watchers only care about those big battle sequences anymore which is a shame because the show was originally built on its politics and characters above all else. I mean, earlier seasons didn't even show the battles!
With their viewing figures still growing and growing, they're probably right though.

The lads in work love the battles and dragons while I feel like a pretentious fecker longing for the days of two people in a room talking for 5 minutes.