Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

I just saw a theory online about today's episode that might be a spoiler. So if reading potential spoiling theories is your thing, read on at your own peril

The theory goes that what Tyrion might have (intentionally or not) achieved with his speech to Cersei, is not immediately apparent. Tyrion has not been in the capital for a long time, same goes for his brother Jamie who left to fight in the North. How could he know that Cersei was pregnant?

The answer is, only if he knew from Jamie that his sister is pregnant with his baby. As suggested at the end of last season before Jamie left King's Landing. That could well put seeds on Euron's mind that Cersei was pregnant before sleeping with him. Making him the same cuckold as King Robert and nothing but a pawn in Cersei's plan.

And that might have an impact on Euron's decision making.

That is very silly.. Tyrion clearly knew about the pregnancy from the episode where everyone met up in Season 7. Rest of the Theory is valid however.

Unless it happens in the first scene of next episode, not entirely sure why Cersei didn't just wipe everyone out. There's like 10 of them and they're insanely outgunned without even a hope of inflicting any damage beyond Qyburn. Would solve like 80% of Cersei's problems, with only mopey Jon (who's admittedly sick) leading the charge with no dragons - or wolf (austerity CGI bill).

Anyway, we'll hopefully have a cracking ep that answers some of these q's next week.

She wants Daenerys to attack first. The usurpers must attack, then get crushed. It's all for political reasons, to get the people behind her.

Unless it happens in the first scene of next episode, not entirely sure why Cersei didn't just wipe everyone out. There's like 10 of them and they're insanely outgunned without even a hope of inflicting any damage beyond Qyburn. Would solve like 80% of Cersei's problems, with only mopey Jon (who's admittedly sick) leading the charge with no dragons - or wolf (austerity CGI bill).

Anyway, we'll hopefully have a cracking ep that answers some of these q's next week.

For a start they were out of range

Just watched the preview for next weeks episode and it ended with Euron looking a little shocked while staring at the sky after hearing a dragon screech in the clouds above which made me think that there is potentially another dragon or two on its way. Why on earth would he look a little stunned? Missandei’s last words before she got killed by the mountain was “Dracarys” which you know means dragon fire. Must have been a message.

Yeah that last word of hers was no coincidence. She didn’t just say it, it was announced like a call

It wasn't shortened. It was one season extended by splitting it in two, with long episodes in the last half extending it further.
Thought I read part of the rationale was also so they could allocate more resources to the individual episodes. At least on the visual effects side I can definitely see that - too bad it rushed the writing past of things.

Thought the quality of the writing has clearly suffered the last couple of seasons, and we seem to be rushing from set piece to set piece, I'm still plenty entertained. The only scene I absolutely disliked was the random Bronn appearance. Never mind the teleportation ability, he felt like a completely changed character.

Even if they were out of range of the archers (debatable) they were certainly not out of range of the Ballistas that had just sniped a Dragon in mid air from significantly further away. They were clearly in range, just an oversight on Cerseis character who would obviously wipe them all out there and then.

I think he survived so that Dany can see how vulnerable the Dragons are. Gendry is probably gonna have to make Drogon Armour

I’m just annoyed how after all the hype about her having three dragons, there’s only ever been one of them used in any meaningful way, or ridden by Dany whilst the other two haven’t been used at all until they need to kill them for plot devices. I thought he’d been killed-off last week so at least went out in battle, but to survive that and then die like that :rolleyes: Petty thing to get annoyed about I know, but still annoys me for some reason. Also Dany is a terrible mother - we all know mums have favourites, but she makes it far too obvious :nono: :lol:

Why doesn't Dany fly back at night and burn the ballista ?

Also cannot get past why Cersei didn't just kill Dany when they were outside the gates. Inher eyes, Dany is the only threat right now and it would have been job done.

That was pretty terrible for the first hour. Last 20 minutes were good.

The budget is killing this show now. Getting rid of Ghost and killing another dragon so stupidly and abruptly just annoys me. It's like the writers have forgotten themselves that we've spent seven seasons being told these beasts are important.

Also cannot get past why Cersei didn't just kill Dany when they were outside the gates. Inher eyes, Dany is the only threat right now and it would have been job done.
I hope it ll be explained but it may be because she s trying to keep someone alive on purpose. Varys maybe? If they don't explain it and it's for honor then it seems out of character for Cersei. Certainly it's not the first time they ve done an exchange of terms but it doesn't seem to fit Cersei s mantra to be all honorable about shit. She did use the archers to take aim at Tyrion but never directed that threat elsewhere. Certainly Drogon was within range based on what Euron did and he was just chilling in the back.

Hopefully nothing cheesy like Qyburn turning Drogon into zombie Drogon like the mountain (or fishing Rhaegar out of the water for that matter). Zombie dragon with zombie Mountain riding on the back.. Wooohoooo

Well Jon came back from the dead so why not?

The little bit of dialogue between Qyburn and Cersei where she asks for confirmation the dragon is dead did seem a little foreboding in retrospect. Normally in these sorts of shows where a death is not 100% confirmed on-screen, followed by that kind of short exchange, it's a decent bet that the character's still alive. Either that or they've quickly kitted out Drogon in some beautiful armour.

Why wait until night? She's on a dragon against a bunch of boats, she could just circle behind them since all the giant magic crossbows are facing forwards and burn them from there.

She wants Daenerys to attack first. The usurpers must attack, then get crushed. It's all for political reasons, to get the people behind her.

Except she doesn't give a feck any more. In any case, why would she need the people if she just ended the war there and then? The only reason to try to keep people onside is for a long seige, there wouldn't be one if she simply fired there and then.

Definitely not from the ballistas, probably not from the arrows either.

No real point trying to come up with reasons why, anyone would have ended it there and then. It's pure stupidity not to have. However, for the show's sake it obviously makes sense not to have that happen.

Wish they’d never have included those dogs. Pointless really.

Show isn’t anything special at all as it ends. Some good moments but I’m not feeling it at all. Also Dany’s role seems to have change spectacularly. Wish they’d have just kept Jon as a bastard, the show would be ten times better.

Why wait until night? She's on a dragon against a bunch of boats, she could just circle behind them since all the giant magic crossbows are facing forwards and burn them from there.

Yep, the charge was 'dramatic writing' I guess. Anyone with a brain would have just sidestepped and burnt them to a crisp.

I wonder if there'll be any fallout for abandoning them and effectively killing missandre?

Looks like the first at the very least is possible to turn around, especially with that many people around to help aim it.
2s7vvdl.png

Im a big old fanboy but its getting harder and harder to defend the writing at this point.

The plots fine honestly, in that the story they are trying to tell fits, but its the "how and why" things are happening that are crippling the show, which used to be the best part of GOT.

lets take 1 plot point from the last episode; the dragonstone ambush and see how this fits.

*ok because we somehow have half the unsulluied and dothraki surviving last episode we need to kill another dragon to equalise the forces further and show the threat posed by the scorpions, meanwhile build momentum and tension for the coming battle by losing mesundei and furthering the mad queen dany arc* ok cool fine.

There are a million problems with how they went about doing this, No scouting/didnt know a massive fleet was within firing distance; The absurdity of how accurate and damaging the scorpion shots were that killed reagal, firing a scorpion from a moving/rocking platform from behind line of sight on an upward arc towards flying objects there is to many problems here that require you suspend your disbelief beyond a reasonable amount etc etc the entire fleet getting destroyed but euron didnt just finish the job, how did they kidnapp misandei, know who she is, and get away Scott free the list is almost endless to how stupid this entire scene is.

You could achieve the same plot line for what you want to do, without it being nonsensical. start with a minor scene with varys maybe talking about how his little birds have gone silent or something blocking his supply of intel that would make it understandable he wouldnt have any knowledge of eurons fleet movements. Have it be really stormy with low visibility, for eurons fleet to move unnoticed or better yet, have them infiltrate the island beforehand and set up the scorpions at dragonstone in preparation for danys return and have them absolutely annihilate danys fleet from a prepared position on land, Or maybe they go back to the iron islands to meet up with yara first, but it was a ploy, and euron sent the ravens to lure dany in. litterally anything would have been better than "lol theres an entire fleet hidden behind a rock, but they can also fire scorpion hellfire rockets with an aimbot script from behind said rock at 100% accuracy.

Give a throwaway reason as to why all the forces split up AGAIN. ie why didnt they all travel along the kingsroad. its like watching a horror movie and the main characters go one direction and all the red shirts split up and inevitable are going to be killed.

Its eye rolling how badly the set piece moments are constructed in order to fit the storyboard they set out.

Just watched the preview for next weeks episode and it ended with Euron looking a little shocked while staring at the sky after hearing a dragon screech in the clouds above which made me think that there is potentially another dragon or two on its way. Why on earth would he look a little stunned? Missandei’s last words before she got killed by the mountain was “Dracarys” which you know means dragon fire. Must have been a message.

You're way overthinking it. Missandei's last word were just a way of saying "feck shit up" to Dany, not something with any hidden meaning.

Euron is so dreadfully written. The past two episodes have been dreadful in hindsight.

Why wasnt there a scouting party sent ahead to Dragonstone? How did Dany not see Euron's fleet?

Its disheartening at this point.

Was the same in the Battle episode you'd of thought they'd send out scouting parties to keep an eye on the wights -.-

At this point I think I want Cersei to win. Lena Headey is the only good actor left doing anything in the show and her character the only one that's actually been consistent throughout and not butchered by the writers.

Im a big old fanboy but its getting harder and harder to defend the writing at this point.

The plots fine honestly, in that the story they are trying to tell fits, but its the "how and why" things are happening that are crippling the show, which used to be the best part of GOT.

lets take 1 plot point from the last episode; the dragonstone ambush and see how this fits.

*ok because we somehow have half the unsulluied and dothraki surviving last episode we need to kill another dragon to equalise the forces further and show the threat posed by the scorpions, meanwhile build momentum and tension for the coming battle by losing mesundei and furthering the mad queen dany arc* ok cool fine.

There are a million problems with how they went about doing this, No scouting/didnt know a massive fleet was within firing distance; The absurdity of how accurate and damaging the scorpion shots were that killed reagal, firing a scorpion from a moving/rocking platform from behind line of sight on an upward arc towards flying objects there is to many problems here that require you suspend your disbelief beyond a reasonable amount etc etc the entire fleet getting destroyed but euron didnt just finish the job, how did they kidnapp misandei, know who she is, and get away Scott free the list is almost endless to how stupid this entire scene is.

You could achieve the same plot line for what you want to do, without it being nonsensical. start with a minor scene with varys maybe talking about how his little birds have gone silent or something blocking his supply of intel that would make it understandable he wouldnt have any knowledge of eurons fleet movements. Have it be really stormy with low visibility, for eurons fleet to move unnoticed or better yet, have them infiltrate the island beforehand and set up the scorpions at dragonstone in preparation for danys return and have them absolutely annihilate danys fleet from a prepared position on land, Or maybe they go back to the iron islands to meet up with yara first, but it was a ploy, and euron sent the ravens to lure dany in. litterally anything would have been better than "lol theres an entire fleet hidden behind a rock, but they can also fire scorpion hellfire rockets with an aimbot script from behind said rock at 100% accuracy.

Give a throwaway reason as to why all the forces split up AGAIN. ie why didnt they all travel along the kingsroad. its like watching a horror movie and the main characters go one direction and all the red shirts split up and inevitable are going to be killed.

Its eye rolling how badly the set piece moments are constructed in order to fit the storyboard they set out.
I think this is fair criticism, even if I originally laughed when I read that you are a old fanboy but can't/didn't want to get the names right.

At this point I think I want Cersei to win. Lena Headey is the only good actor left doing anything in the show and her character the only one that's actually been consistent throughout and not butchered by the writers.
All the best actors are Lannisters. Writers should've known that'd be OP.

I think this is fair criticism, even if I originally laughed when I read that you are a old fanboy but can't/didn't want to get the names right.
Dyslexic mate, cant be arsed to figure out how to spell miss sunday or the regal

The more I think about it the more I’m fecked off about the whole John Snow - rightful king story is. The show really didn’t need it