Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing, we don't really know anything. We're going by media reports for everything, and let's be honest they're far from reliable aren't they.

We've had links to Chelsea and Bayern, both seem to be fizzling into nothingness. Chelsea have gone from monitoring, to very interested to about to launch a bid... but nothing has come from it. Its just pure odd
Can think of several scenarios that may be the truth but my instinct is that the Chelsea interest isn't genuine. Can't see them offering up the package we have AND contributing to the deferred wages, if that is indeed what's holding this deal up.

I've been pretty in board with trying to sign De Jong, and staying the course, since the beginning. That said, I've got to admit I have more and more doubts about whether it's actually likely to happen now.

Uh huh... so if you think he'll end up changing his mind why accept a bid for him. He's not going to change his mind on a pay cut is he

Edit for stupidity... Read it wrong. They think he'll change his mind on refusing to leave. No mention of Chelsea though

That's not what the Telegraph article said. According to them, there's both deferred payments owed plus a increasing loyalty bonus. Also, what tax authorites can claim taxes on is a bonus given by Barcelona when he leaves to make up for the difference between his salary at Barcelona and at United.

Again, if FdJ leaves Barcelona before the new clauses in his contract kick in, he automatically will wave all deferred payments and loyalty bonus. His contract will be terminated and thus worthless.
Barcelona won't have to pay any deferred payments or loyalty bonus. Thus no tax liability.

United will pay FdJ a signing bonus worth the total of the deferred payments and loyalty bonus.

I can't see any violation of UEFA rules or tax issues.
A total different question is of course whether United will pay money, which actually is Barcelona's duty to pay, to secure the deal.

Uh huh... so if you think he'll end up changing his mind why accept a bid for him. He's not going to change his mind on a pay cut is he
Not sure you are reading that correctly

Edit for stupidity... Read it wrong. They think he'll change his mind on refusing to leave. No mention of Chelsea though

Why would there be :wenger:

It’d be so daft, joining one of Chelsea United or Spurs because they are in next season’s Champions League on a 5 year deal could easily see you spend 3-4 seaons out of the competition. There’s absolutely zero guarantees there.

Yeah, it's a ludicrous viewpoint that seems to be repeated time-and-again.

Even if we were in the CL; I'm sure FDJ has the foresight to see that we ain't winning it this season, as it'll be a transitional season with highs-and-lows.

What are these regulatory and tax reasons? I can't find reliable source explaining these.

If FdJ waves his deferred payments and decides to join United. Barcelona will be off the hook and get the agreed transfer fee of 85m Euro.
United will sign the player and offers him an additional signing bonus of the same value as his deferred payments. The signing bonus can be even stretched over the time of his contract.

I don't see any legal or tax issues here. Except United probably doesn't want to pay money that Barcelona owes to FdJ.
It’s just something I read the other day so dunno how true it is

With Lewandowski there is the fact that he had 1 year remaining at Bayern and the deal with Barca is for 3 years so he might have taken a small reduction this season for the longer deal as Bayern had indicated they were going to likely go year to year with him and possibly reduce his salary also. If I was him though I would be worried that after 1 year Barca will be knocking on my door asking me to reduce my salary by 40% out of loyalty to the club so they can go an sign Jude Bellingham or whoever, it is just what they do.

• So Bayern's renewal offer was €12m p.a for 2 years = €24m total
  • Barça's offer supposedly is €9m p.a. for 3 years = €27m total, plus one year optional.
According to the rumors, Lewandowski has also agreed to take up a lowered salary during the final two years of his contract. Barcelona will also have an option to terminate his contract in the final two years of his deal by paying a compensation fee. Finally, Barça paid €45+5m to Bayern and €20m in commission to Zahavi.

Seems like everyone got paid except poor old Lewandowski!

If you believe the Barça salary numbers, Lewandowski kicked up a fuss for an extra guaranteed €3m. I think he could have easily achieved that by playing at Munich for 2 years and signing up for another team for in year 3 for €3-4m. It just doesn't add up, but this is Barcelona's MO - a lot of bullshit.

@Lemoor

What are these regulatory and tax reasons? I can't find reliable source explaining these.

If FdJ waves his deferred payments and decides to join United. Barcelona will be off the hook and get the agreed transfer fee of 85m Euro.
United will sign the player and offers him an additional signing bonus of the same value as his deferred payments. The signing bonus can be even stretched over the time of his contract.

I don't see any legal or tax issues here. Except United probably doesn't want to pay money that Barcelona owes to FdJ.
I wonder if that's Barcas aim with the latest Chelsea links? Scare United into doing something they don't want to do with the worry of losing out on a player they're desperate to sign.

Barca are thinking that if they say that Chelsea are going to launch a bid (the info was Barca KNOW Chelsea will table a bid in the next hours, not Chelsea will table a bid - it's clearly come from Barca or one of their "sources" close to them) United will act rashly and just say we'll cover the wages as a signing bonus over the life of the contract?

Surely the point is, United don't want to pay effectively pay an extra 17m on top of the transfer fee we've agreed?

If United were to settle his unpaid wages, they'd want the transfer fee reduced to reflect this. This doesn't suit Barca as they want the best of both worlds, they want the full fee we've agreed and not to pay De Jong. If they reduce the transfer fee so United can pay De Jong, it's of no use to Barca they may as well just take the larger transfer fee and pay De Jong the wage he's owed.

• So Bayern's renewal offer was €12m p.a for 2 years = €24m total
  • Barça's offer supposedly is €9m p.a. for 3 years = €27m total, plus one year optional.
According to the rumors, Lewandowski has also agreed to take up a lowered salary during the final two years of his contract. Barcelona will also have an option to terminate his contract in the final two years of his deal by paying a compensation fee. Finally, Barça paid €45+5m to Bayern and €20m in commission to Zahavi.

Seems like everyone got paid except poor old Lewandowski!

If you believe the Barça salary numbers, Lewandowski kicked up a fuss for an extra guaranteed €3m. I think he could have easily achieved that by playing at Munich for 2 years and signing up for another team for in year 3 for €3-4m. It just doesn't add up, but this is Barcelona's MO - a lot of bullshit.

@Lemoor

In Germany it's reported that Lewandowski got a contract until 2026, 4 years. He earns 9m Euro net. In Munich it's ~11m Euro net.
So it's 22m vs 36m Euro.

Never heard three piranha Zahavi receiving 20m Euro. That's just ludicrous.

Surely the point is, United don't want to pay effectively pay an extra 17m on top of the transfer fee we've agreed?

If United were to settle his unpaid wages, they'd want the transfer fee reduced to reflect this. This doesn't suit Barca as they want the best of both worlds, they want the full fee we've agreed and not to pay De Jong. If they reduce the transfer fee so United can pay De Jong, it's of no use to Barca they may as well just take the larger transfer fee and pay De Jong the wage he's owed.

There were posts here claiming United is ready to pay his deferred wages but this couldn't be done, because it would violate UEFA/FIFA rules and there would tax issues.

I'm totally with you, United and no other club should pay even 1 Euro of wages owed by Barcelona.

There were posts here claiming United is ready to pay his deferred wages but this couldn't be done, because it would violate UEFA/FIFA rules and there would tax issues.

I'm totally with you, United and no other club should pay even 1 Euro of wages owed by Barcelona.
If we're willing to do that and we're not allowed, then surely we'd just increase the transfer fee by 17m or however much he's owed and Barca can pay him?

The transfer fee we've agreed is presumably already at the upper limit of what we wanted to pay, we can't just throw another 17m on top whether that be to De Jong directly or to Barca.

If we're willing to do that and we're not allowed, then surely we'd just increase the transfer fee by 17m or however much he's owed and Barca can pay him?

Exactly that. But a lot of self-righteous people would protest (especially in this forums).

Surely finishing above you would show who is best suited to challenging for a title? Isn’t that how leagues are determined?
Answer is neither by the way. May as well join West Ham for a league challenge.

Chelsea fans thinking they are considerably closer to winning the league is delusional thinking.

Both teams have a best case scenario of finishing 2nd in every alternate season where Liverpool struggle.

If FDJ isn't in the line up like some suggest it means that he has a zoom call with ETH, and ETH is requesting he turns his camera on

So he actually went on the tour then. I missed that bombshell. Must have been mayhem in here

Some people said we should walk away

Others hinted at Di Maria vibes

Some thought don't read into it

Stay tuned for more.

So quick question to all of the optimists in here.

What significance will it be to him leaving if he actually plays for Barcelona on the pre season tour ?

Be interesting to see what happens if the Spanish narrative changes from adamantly staying to open to leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.