Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point just sailed right over your head didn't it?

Subtract the 17M in deferred wages and FDJ would still have a contract earning over 15M net per season because he was already on huge wages and so therefore is breaking the wage structure they are trying to implement. Why would they pay him 17M? Because if they do they can bank the remaining 58M from the sale and save 80M in wages over the next 4 years for a total of 138M and also be free to register every one of their new signings with no concerns over meeting FFP.

At last!

We finally get to the amount Barca would save if they sold him.

It's a huge amount taking their financial position into account.

The thing is Frenkie despite being offensive minded is defensively sound, we don't need a destroyer I agree, especially with someone like Martinez in the defense. For instance, neither Carrick or Scholes were destroyers. I think Eriksen could play next to FDJ, I'm not sure Eriksen could play the role without another signing to partner him with.

I think that is a valid assessment. I think a lot hinges on EtH's beliefs in developing the right players for his type of midfield and now we have three potentially for that alternative to FdJ role in Garner (more the Carrick type to Eriksen's Scholes role), Savage and Iqbal (who models his game on none other than FdJ). It's a huge gamble I know but I believe EtH is the man to identify and solve our CM issues.

We can question many sources but you'd be foolish to question Andy Mitten. If he thinks it'll happen it'll happen. Just be patient lads

MItten has always been cautious/pessimistic regarding FDJ and him saying this makes me more confident personally.

The FDJ rumour mill should be on full steam for the next 3 or 4 days after that interview which came out in the athletic.

Ten Hag clearly wants someone to play this position which he feels is hard to fill. Player has to be press resistant, good at pressing, ability to carry the ball from defense to offence with direct runs, ability to find a pass - long or short, and ability to win the ball back. That's a lot to ask for in today's players in the way they are used to focusing on one key part of their game and being decent at most of the other things (DM, CDM, CAM etc.). Ten hag's perfect holding midfielder would probably be Paul Scholes!

I hope we get him in, as I really want to see if it works out. If ten Hag also fails, I don't think I will have it in me to continue watching football. Last season was the most depressing, and I'm just getting back to feeling some positivity again!

Or maybe he’ll just stay put and carry on with Barca in the hope they can give him that 17 million down the road should circumstances change.

They will be paying him the 17 mil in weekly installments over the next 4 years anyway if he stays, that's how most of us understand his contract to be set out.

Starting pretty much already!

We don't need to wait a season to see McFred cannot play 6, Fred is usual but not as the controlling midfielder or holding player either, whist the other guy needs to go to Newcastle sharpish
I’ll agree, McT is the worst of the pack but I do expect to see marginal improvements in him too if not drastic ones. I also expect Martinez to fill in. The kids will also be coached and then trialled in cup games etc so they will be backup in worst case scenarios as well.

I personally still think Frenkie will be ours by the end of the window if not sooner. Barca now have to register not 2 but 4/5 new players and that is just not happening without Frenkie leaving.

I'll repeat, the idea that De Jong is the only player who is not mediocre in the role is ludacris. Also developing a player there requires them to have the requisite talent too
Don’t know why you doomers all want us to sign rappers. First you all wanted plan B, now you want Ludacris?! We’ve already had Stormzy upfront and it didn’t work out, though I suppose they might help the midfield tempo at least! :lol:
It’s spelt Ludicrous. You’re welcome!

Rather gamble on kids than go through another season of McFred. It simply can't happen, and won't.
That’s a bit of a stretch don’t you think? You have more confidence in kids to play such a high number of games then count on McFred?

I don’t get how some of us are happy to have a coach like ETH but then we go and write off players before he’s even had a go at them. I can assure you our entire squad will show improvements. Some marginal some drastic but they all certainly will.

I'll repeat, the idea that De Jong is the only player who is not mediocre in the role is ludacris. Also developing a player there requires them to have the requisite talent too
Your spelling is rediculous

It would be hilarious in a very tragic way if we end up with another season of McFred. All would be because our manager can't think outside of the Dutch league box.

I don’t get how some of us are happy to have a coach like ETH but then we go and write off players before he’s even had a go at them. I can assure you our entire squad will show improvements. Some marginal some drastic but they all certainly will.

I promise you not a single soul expected Jordan Henderson to be part of a CL and PL winning side, and certainly not captain of a side picking up 90+ points in the league for 3 seasons.

I don’t expect McTom to suddenly turn into Scholes, but he’ll make him more useful and I can absolutely imagine ETH taking one of the youth lads and moulding him into an acceptable DM.

I do rate Tielemans and he was my first choice before we entered FdJ. I think we should be all in on him if somehow we don’t get FdJ. Tielemans is a great player and can as you say, with EtHs guidance, be exactly what we need.
Tielemans is a good player. Neves is a good player, but they are both at top 10 teams a level below us. Neither of them pull up trees week in week out, and neither of them dictate the teams play - Moutinho does that more for Wolves than Neves and Ndidi is the same for Leicester.
FdJ is a great player, he will transform our midfield and provide the link play from back to front we desperately need. He is worth the wait.

Don’t know why you doomers all want us to sign rappers. First you all wanted plan B, now you want Ludacris?! We’ve already had Stormzy upfront and it didn’t work out, though I suppose they might help the midfield tempo at least! :lol:
It’s spelt Ludicrous. You’re welcome!
Hahaha

I promise you not a single soul expected Jordan Henderson to be part of a CL and PL winning side, and certainly not captain of a side picking up 90+ points in the league for 3 seasons.

I don’t expect McTom to suddenly turn into Scholes, but he’ll make him more useful and I can absolutely imagine ETH taking one of the youth lads and moulding him into an acceptable DM.
Klopp rebuilt half the squad to assemble that PL and CL winning team.

Ten Hag may very well improve some players, but let's not fool ourselves in to believing we don't need to make signings to significantly improve the squad before we're capable of winning major trophies

It would be hilarious in a very tragic way if we end up with another season of McFred. All would be because our manager can't think outside of the Dutch league box.
It’s crazy, another reason why we’ll continue to fail long-term until we get the DoF in place to lay out the strategy and playing style which doesn’t solely depend on one player. He might be successful but we have learned shit all from the past mistakes, we’re again merely hoping that we hit the jackpot with ETH. We need 2 more CMs after decades of neglecting the midfield…

Klopp rebuilt half the squad to assemble that PL and CL winning team.

Ten Hag may very well improve some players, but let's not fool ourselves in to believing we don't need to make signings to significantly improve the squad before we're capable of winning major trophies

No shit, but would Tielemans suddenly put us on a different level?
He needs to add the right players as they become available.
Imagine if Klopp got frustrated with the VVD saga and signed Skriniar?

Oh god. There a chance we might go into this season with our current Midfield :lol:

Oh man I love this guy's confidence, I can't wait for the season to start!

I don't even give a shit about the FdJ deal anymore. Martinez, Eriksen, Iqbal, Fred, I think he can make something work there.

Oh man I love this guy's confidence, I can't wait for the season to start!

I don't even give a shit about the FdJ deal anymore. Martinez, Eriksen, Iqbal, Fred, I think he can make something work there.
You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think Iqbal will play more than a handful of minutes

That’s a really good example. I personally used to feel dumbfounded seeing a player like Henderson survive in that liverpool squad when Klopp took over. And like you said, he not only survived but captained the side to great heights.

It will be funny / tragic when we again see our new shiny defenders get totally exposed whilst our midfield is unable to get hold off the game. We must to have plan b / c in place regarding other targets.

Probably not, he won't need to as Frenkie will.
Seriously dude, give it a rest.
You have 1.700 posts in this thread. Twice as many as the second poster on the list.

The thread is growing extremely fast making it difficult to actually find the interesting bits.

Seriously dude, give it a rest.
You have 1.700 posts in this thread. Twice as many as the second poster on the list.

The thread is growing extremely fast making it difficult to actually find the interesting bits.
Excuse me :lol:

It’s quite simple, really.

1. Barca need Frenkie to leave so they can register new players and meet the LaLiga salary cap requirements
2. Barca owe Frenkie back wages and are refusing to pay them
3. If Frenkie says he wants to go to United, he loses his leverage in the wages battle, so he’s saying he wants to stay
4. Thereby forcing Barca to either pay the deferred wages, or run the risk of not being able to register new signings Kessie, Raphinha, Lewandowski, Christiansen, etc.
5. United & Barca have agreed to terms; FDJ and United have agreed to terms

Barca will eventually capitulate as they run the risk of undoing some of the signings they have made if FDJ stays. Also, they’ll have an unhappy player. Barca treats their players like shit, they are world class crybabies (remember the Neymar release clause whining) and they will do anything to destabilize their rivals.

It’s a giant game of chicken that Barca will eventually lose.

Very helpful. What I'm struggling with is how much of what we consider to be facts are actually facts. Do we really know as fact, for example, that Barcelona need Frenkie to leave so that they can sign new players? If this is fact, fact then United are sitting in the catbird seat and it's only a matter of time before Barcelona bend to our will.

Status
Not open for further replies.