Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get transfer fee and reduce wage bill. (Help their financial position).

Which they'll then quickly spend/add to..

Mes que un club

We are only speculating here as nobody knows the details.
Barcelona might have accepted United's offer (a lot of posters here were surprised the fee wouldn't be higher) knowing they will save another 17 million on wage payments.
It's likely FdJ didn't think about this issue and is now stalling the move trying to find a way to still get his "deferred" wages nevertheless.

Honest question. Why would Barcelona do it, if they have no contractual obligation but only a moral one to do it.
Football is business foremost after all.

Because it's the right thing to do, hate how quiet his agent is being we need him to cause a fuss

Actually he is owed salary from previous seasons, 17 million, which they are trying to cheat him out of.

From a moral viewpoint you are absolutely right, from a legal point of view probably not so.

If so, FdJ only had his agent to blame for accepting a terrible contract.

"More than a club" It is a farce the trouble they have got themselves into and a disgrace how they are trying to get out of it.

With all the money owed on contracts and there financial situation, they should without doubt in my opinion be having a transfer ban, its madness they are sitll abble to spend money on players the position they have got themselves into.

As for FDJ, fabulous player that as a player would be a great signing, but just get bad vibes. He doesnt want to leave his dream club despite being treated like dirt, they dont want him to leave bar the financial mess.

So much talk of not wanting to sign players anymore on this forum giving out massive wages and fees if they dont want to be here.Yet FDJ would be such a player and that isnt a dig at him, he is at his dream club. It appears only financial and Ten Hag are the only possible drivers, not the history of the club, as he is already at one with just as bigger history.

Also, we would be spending a large proportion of a budget even though its a decent fee for him, when we need probably 7/8 sigings....which wont happen I expect as we have spent so much time regardless of whether he comes or not prioritising a transfer that could barely be more awkward.

I said at the beginning of the window, I dont think he comes and if he is forced out I expect someone else to pounce at the last minute......I still see that being the case tbh

The implications of this deal is so complicated that I don't think anyone has any idea how it might lead us all to.

There would be fundamental difficulties in all possible scenarios that could have happened:

1. If Barca agree to sell to us at the reported fees - De Jong may have to give up all those deferred wage Barca owing to him - can't see that happening.
2. If Barca decided they want keep De Jong - they must convinced De Jong to accept substantial pay cut - can't see that happening too
3. If we agree to pay what Barca demand - we may have to make an offer to cover for those deferred wage Barca owing to him, which is insane - can't see that happening either

I just can't see any easy solution to this, at least one party or all parties has to give in something big to make this happen, and the fact that De Jong prefers to stay at Barca makes it even more complicated, which means this deal most likely won't happen until final days of the transfer window.

We could do #3 and pay some fo the deferred salary owed but Barca gives us a player in return. What does Barca have -- not cash (flow) now but assets in actual players.

Didn't read the article but given loyalties, salary and possible team achievements, FDJ could cost them around 90mil in the next 4 seasons.

He is free agent now -- contract expired at the end of June. But they are trying to re-sign on a reduced wage too. For that money -- it will be some kid or someone near death.

Wouldn't be interested due to no Champions League anyway, shocked he hasn't joined Chelsea

Poor Barca, can’t afford to keep Frenkie, can’t afford to sell him (due to monies owed)

Wouldn't be interested due to no Champions League anyway, shocked he hasn't joined Chelsea

Makes sense there is they are flogging off a few of their attackers/wingers like Pulisc. But I am not sure who has a worse injury record between the two.

From a moral viewpoint you are absolutely right, from a legal point of view probably not so.

If so, FdJ only had his agent to blame for accepting a terrible contract.

No Barça are obliged to pay it over the next four seasons, there is no question about that.

It is public knowledge.

It's not really. The contract could say while employment with Barca continues, they're required to pay him the deferred payments. It's on him / his agent if they signed up for something like that.

Ok, Jaap Stam agrees with me. He praised Martinez for his mentality and ball playing capability, and thinks Ten Hag might use him as a dm.

I am intrigued by him as a DM, seriously concerned about him playing LCB due to height

Shitshow of a situation this has become

Unfortunately, for all sides.
Even if the new footballing department is doing well it will still be seen as incompetent due to what Barca are doing.

Apparently, they can still afford to buy expensive players though. What a club.

But can’t register them in LaLiga, maybe they are just buying players to play in Europe :lol:

Then I am sure there is an appearance factor built-in.

If he stays he will only be entitled to the full amount of the deferred payment only if he plays more than an XX number of matches going forward. But then it gets more complicated if Xavi insists on getting Barnardo Silva.
How's Silva going to play when he can't be registered?

So to those in this thread who are still confident this happens, maybe you can enlighten the rest of us on what's going to finally get this deal finalised.

If Barcelona are in the legal position to do this, then FdJ need to have serious word with his agent and legal team. They are f***ed badly, if true.

It probably depends on the contractual terms under which FdJ deferred his wages. But either way Barca have a weak hand because they have to get rid of the player and the player will only go to MUFC

It probably depends on the contractual terms under which FdJ deferred his wages. But either way Barca have a weak hand because they have to get rid of the player and the player will only go to MUFC

So if they have such a weak hand and have to get rid why isn't the deal going anywhere

FDJ wants to stay and I hope he does on his full salary to cripple Barca some more, Away from FDJ I seriously hope utd have been looking at alternatives, we cant survive another season with McFred otherwise ETH is a dead man walking

How's Silva going to play when he can't be registered?

Not just silva. Too complicated a scenario to even both to figure out. Getting players and not being able to register them must be something unique only to Barca? Happened last season too.

FDJ wants to stay and I hope he does on his full salary to cripple Barca some more, Away from FDJ I seriously hope utd have been looking at alternatives, we cant survive another season with McFred otherwise ETH is a dead man walking

If we were then surely those names would have been leaked already by Whitwell, Stone, Ducker & Luckhurst

OK so who is paying then, are they actually giving him his owed €17m or will we pay extra instead.

Depending on how desperate we are to get him, and if this wage thing is the issue that's holding the deal up, I would assume United pay most/half of it just to get the deal done. Again, assuming this is the thing holding up the deal. I can't imagine us not getting the deal done over €17m

Someone please tell me ETH spoke to FDJ and ensured he’s willing to come before we embarked on this endless saga. We should never ever chase a big name unless the manager has spoken to him and gotten certain assurances.

Status
Not open for further replies.