Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe most of the people here dont realize Barca doesn't own Frenkie money as a classic debt because they didn't pay him in the past.
Both agreed to reorganize the contract in reducing his salary during the covid years and adding this amount to his other contract years. Bartomeu did this in his last days as president.

We do understand this however thats a massive oversimplification of the situation.

That means Frenkie will earn from now on €19m gross a year. For Laporta's new wage limit that is way out of line as it's nearly double of Pedri and Fati for example, so he seeks out possibilities to either reduce this amount as in asking the player or giving him the opportunity to leave the club, so barca doesnt need to pay him the rest of his contract.

You are making this sound like he doesn't want to cash in on Frenkie and avoid paying him silly money in wages that the club can't afford. You make it sound like hes being a good guy. Hes not.

So if Frenkie decides to leave the club, the contract between him and barca ends and barca doesn't need to pay him at all anymore as usual in this business. So all the rumours "barca asking a potential buyer to pay the deffered wages" are total bs.

You can talk about deferred wages all you like but if Frenkie doesn't leave then those wages have to be paid. Barca can't afford to do that and don't want to do that. Its very simple. Barca can come to an agreement with Frenkie for him to leave and they pay him some of the wages that were deferred or he can stay and they are on the hook for all of those wages and don't get a much needed cash injection into the club. Frenkie would have to be a complete idiot not to demand the wages that were deferred for the past 2 years to be paid out before leaving.

But Laporta can't force out Frenkie and doesn't intend to either, he simply asks or opens possibilities. Frenkie has the last word.

Such a lovely guy, giving Frenkie an opportunity to leave, so selfless :lol:

I'm actually worried this won't happen because it's going to end up being a legal fight between De Jong and Barcelona, it's just going to rumble on and on.

Barca cant accommodate that in their wage cap.. something has to happen.

Are they really? The longer this goes I'm more and more thinking Barcelona are in pretty good position.

They are very adamant on FdJ taking a pay cut. How can the be so sure about it?

Only in the case they know that FdJ will lose his claim on the deferred wages of 17 million Euro, if he moves to another club. His agent most likely f***ed big time here and Barcelona taking full advantage of this mistake.
This looks cnutish but on the other hand every big company would act the same, if the other side made such a mistake. Actually the share holders could hold the board liable, if they didn't and Barcelona lost money.

Knowing the players prefers to stay anyway, Barcelona offers him to take a significant wage cut. Surely FdJ doesn't want to as stated in many tweets. But if the wage cut is somewhere between, let's say, 10 and 15 million Euro, he can stay at his preferred club and at least get 7 to 2 million Euro of his outstanding deferred wages.
Because if he joined United, he would lose all 17 million Euro and had to play at club he likes to play for less.

Thus Barcelona isn't in bad position at all here.
Or he stays on at Barcelona at his current contract and Barcelona gets fecked because they've to continue paying him and their new players they've signed but cannot register.

You would think so. However, the way Barcelona acts and their confidence, I'm pretty sure his agent f***ed up and FdJ will lose his claim on the deferred wages, if moves this summer.

Then I am sure there is an appearance factor built-in.

If he stays he will only be entitled to the full amount of the deferred payment only if he plays more than an XX number of matches going forward. But then it gets more complicated if Xavi insists on getting Barnardo Silva.

Of course he can choose to stay, but if he really signed such a contract, Barca owe him zilch up to now

Do you not see how little that matters. They want to sell him. They can't afford his wages and the money his transfer would generate would be very useful. Frenkie by all accounts isn't that bothered about leaving.

If Frenkie leaves now and just rolls over he will lose all those wages he deferred. Why would he do this? The only person it benefits is Barca.

There are 3 outcomes here and only one makes sense for both parties.

1. Frenkie leaves and doesn't get any of those deferred wages - he would be an idiot to do this.
2. Frenkie stays and sees out his contract - Barca don't want and can't really afford this. Frenkie makes bank and stays at a club he is happy to be at.
3. The two parties come to an agreement about how much of those deferred wages are paid before he leaves, Barca make money on transfer fee and save massive wages - both parties satisfied.

Then I am sure there is an appearance factor built-in.

If he stays he will only be entitled to the full amount of the deferred payment only if he plays more than an XX number of matches going forward. But then it gets more complicated if Xavi insists on getting Barnardo Silva.

Why on earth would he agree to that. Come on guys have some common sense. Frenkie didn't have to agree to taking a pay cut at all if he didn't want to. He isn't going to give Barca the most obvious way to avoid paying him wages they owe.

We do understand this however thats a massive oversimplification of the situation.

I really doubt that as I read at least a hundred posts about barca doesn't pay his wages, looking for a club to pay those owed wages, uefa should interfer and punish and and and...
It's a simple restructure of the payment, nothing more. So far, he's being payed on what was agreed to.

You are making this sound like he doesn't want to cash in on Frenkie and avoid paying him silly money in wages that the club can't afford. You make it sound like hes being a good guy. Hes not.

No one says Laporta is the good guy. But he tries to do best for barca, it's his job as president by the way and isn't responsible for Bartomeus train wreck. He is simply looking for solutions to avoid paying Frenkie double the amount his new wage limit allows to. But if he has to, he will of course. Frenkie has a contract and no one can force him out of it. Asking and presenting other possibilities isn't forbidden. It's up to Frenkie to decide.

Last edited:
This is ffp in all its glory.

Barcelona owe everyone money, some of their high profile players millions yet they’re out there buying more players and trying to increase their salary bill.

At the same time the only way to stay afloat is to sell future revenue which in turn ensures that they’ll be fecked going forward.

They should receive a transfer ban or be able to only approach young players until they clear their debt. Instead they’re trying to scum their players.

ffp is a farce.

3. The two parties come to an agreement about how much of those deferred wages are paid before he leaves, Barca make money on transfer fee and save

That would be the logical outcome if FdJ really wants to leave Barcelona.

If he doesn't want to leave, outcome 2 will the logical option he will choose.

Why would he forfeit millions of wages to make a move to United he actually doesn't really want.

That means Frenkie will earn from now on €19m gross a year.
Are you talking here real gross or don't you mean net.
For a salary cap at 10 million Euro gross no top player will every join Barcelona.
Lewandowski is on 23 million Euro gross at Bayern, do you think he will join you guys and only get 10 million Euro gross?

No one says Laporta is the good guy. But he tries to do best for barca, it's his job as president by the way and isn't responsible for Bartomeus train wreck. He is simply looking for solutions to avoid paying Frenkie double the amount his new wage limit allows to. But if he has to, he will of course. Frenkie has a contract and no one can force him out of it. Asking and presenting other possibilities isn't forbidden. It's up to Frenkie to decide.
Using Bartomeu's financial mismanagement as an excuse for Laporta getting out of previously agreed financial commitments would look more believable if he wasn't trying to sign Raphinha, Kounde and Lewandowski at the same time.

88m! Where has the talk of 17m come from?
88m in total, not just to him.
That's probably the total worth of his outstanding contract until 2026?

Its in the article

This week, Marca revealed De Jong’s contract details. His deal runs until 2026 and there are four more years in which the Spanish giants are due to pay him €88.7 million in salary and loyalty bonuses.

Next season, the Dutchman is due to receive €18 million of fixed salary, plus €2.88 million as part of his loyalty bonus. Add-ons are excluded. Looking to the 2023-2024 season, his wages could rise to €28 million.

Those increasing figures are explained by the agreement Barcelona and De Jong reached in 2020 to defer part of his salary to partially offset the financial impact of COVID-19.

Barcelona owe the midfielder €17 million in deferred salary payments.

This makes no sense. What do wages owed to other players have to do with FdJ?
I didn’t read the article so I was incorrect, but I assumed more that they wanted to offset money owed to a lot of players by getting a injection of cash through a sale. Well that is the case, but not related to the 88mill.

Stop being complete arseholes Barca and knock that damn €17m off the transfer fee

Are you talking here real gross or don't you mean net.
For a salary cap at 10 million Euro gross no top player will every join Barcelona.
Lewandowski is on 23 million Euro gross at Bayern, do you think he will join you guys and only get 10 million Euro gross?
This is the one thing I have been trying to find out. @Ragnar123 how much exactly is the new gross wage limit.

Its in the article

As I thought.
I think one problem is that we have sports journalists writing these articles and using terms like differed payments without being contractual experts and knowing the details of FdJ contract with Barcelona.
This causes a lot of misunderstanding and confusion.

Using Bartomeu's financial mismanagement as an excuse for Laporta getting out of previously agreed financial commitments would look more believable if he wasn't trying to sign Raphinha, Kounde and Lewandowski at the same time.
And Torres for 55m last January and most of the signings from last season that they would like to get rid of are from Laporta as well.
Nobody can tell me he’s doing the best for Barca and could explain Aguero to me. By all rights Aguero should be a 10m drain on them while sitting injured on the bench

Stop being complete arseholes Barca and knock that damn €17m off the transfer fee

Honest question. Why would Barcelona do it, if they have no contractual obligation but only a moral one to do it.
Football is business foremost after all.

I'm pretty sure Frenkie is contractually owed the deferred money. It's just a guess of course but nothing else makes much sense.

The other options is he somehow signed the worst contract of all time, or the contract just didn't account for this situation.

Both seem unlikely.

I think he's owed it and Barca and trying to get out of it by either asking him to accept a settlement, or United pay it.

The implications of this deal is so complicated that I don't think anyone has any idea how it might lead us all to.

There would be fundamental difficulties in all possible scenarios that could have happened:

1. If Barca agree to sell to us at the reported fees - De Jong may have to give up all those deferred wage Barca owing to him - can't see that happening.
2. If Barca decided they want keep De Jong - they must convinced De Jong to accept substantial pay cut - can't see that happening too
3. If we agree to pay what Barca demand - we may have to make an offer to cover for those deferred wage Barca owing to him, which is insane - can't see that happening either

I just can't see any easy solution to this, at least one party or all parties has to give in something big to make this happen, and the fact that De Jong prefers to stay at Barca makes it even more complicated, which means this deal most likely won't happen until final days of the transfer window.

I really doubt that as I read at least a hundred posts about barca doesn't pay his wages, looking for a club to pay those owed wages, uefa should interfer and punish and and and...
It's a simple restructure of the payment, nothing more. So far, he's being payed on what was agreed to.

Actually he is owed salary from previous seasons, 17 million, which they are trying to cheat him out of. Second, his market value salary is probably around 300k a week. That would be without deferred wages.

He agreed to defer his wages to help out the club for two seasons, now it is time for Brokelona to pay up. Instead they want to sign expensive players (they do not need) and not honor their commitments to Frenkie.

They simply cannot afford Lewa and Raf, but they are absolute cnuts trying to do it anyway.

There is nothing reasonable about what they are doing.

With all the complications involved here, it appears the situation boils down to this... Barca owe FDJ £17M and are unwilling to finalize the move until FDJ drops his claim, United pay it or some combination of the two add up to the owed money.

From what has been reported, Barca willing to pay £3M, which would leave £14M difference.

All 3 parties seen to want the deal. We seem to be at the point where whoever wants the deal the most will have to cave here if the deal is to happen.

United's stance is they've agreed the fee and can sort personal terms with FDJ. The owed money is not their problem and requiring them to pay is, in effect, increasing their transfer fee by another £17M or £14M or whatever is owed.

FDJ's stance is that he's deferred the money, Barca owes it to him and he's not going to forgo the money just to get a move. The reports of him wanting to stay at Barca make sense because it signals to them that he's willing to stay. If he comes out desperate for a move, it gives Barca more leverage here to try to force him to accept less than what they owe him.

Barcelona's stance is pretty simple, they owe FDJ and don't want to pay, hoping the player and club are desperate enough for the deal either United pay up and/or FDJ agreed to accept only some portion of the full amount owed.

My guess is that in the end the deal will get done because all 3 parties want/need it to get done. Most likely Barca will end up paying the majority of what they owe with United increasing their offer a few million and FDJ accepting a bit less than owed (maybe with United willing to increase his wages).

Reactions: Penna
88m in total, not just to him.

Hope you don't mind me asking where did you got that figure from, and is it euro or sterling? The reason I ask is they owe Pique 50 million euros, 17 to FDJ and as of April a year an ago which I can only surmise was partly paid, is 52 million to Messi and pretty sure there are a few others owed a fair few bob like Stegen, Busquets.

Maybe FdJ's agent is descended from Colonel Tom Parker (who was also Dutch.) He could end up playing Vegas for the rest of his career if not careful.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Young Mr. de Jong. What do you want...of all this? What do you want?

Too dangerous in Manchester!! Why would you want to go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.