Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
. If he were such a great deal there'd be more clubs in the mix.

How many other clubs were after Mane at that quite frankly ridiculous price? How many other than Barca are after Lewa? Or VVD, or Salah from Roma? Often there appears only one club because that’s the player’s preference, but clearly other clubs would be very interested in De Jong.

At this point it must go in our favour that Barcelona are behaving like cnuts and betraying the loyalty he has shown them. There's only so long the dream club thing will last before he's had enough of being a part of such a scummy and immoral club. I mean they are refusing to pay him what he's owed, and trying to get him to significantly reduce his wage, all while attempting to sign Lewandolski and Raphina. Money in a company should first and foremost be paid to the current employees who it's owed to before recruiting anyone else

I think if we get this deal done he'll sign for us.

I'm encouraged by the knowledge there's no other club in the Premier League who could negotiate a deal like this with Barcelona. We're still the biggest and best draw in world football.

I don't find the deal tiring at all. Our relentless focus on getting his signature tell me this truly is the start of a new era at United.
:lol:

I think you could argue that he might very well want to leave due to how they have treated him. But, even if this is true, he cannot say anything public other than how much he wants to stay. If Barcelona were solvent then there’d not even be any rumours because under those circumstances I have no doubts he’s at his dream club.

I’d not be shocked if we hear soon that Barcelona have accepted a bid of 80 million euros from Chelsea for de Jong. If that happens then United will match it and he’ll choose United over Chelsea due to Ten Hag

How many other clubs were after Mane at that quite frankly ridiculous price? How many other than Barca are after Lewa? Often there appears only one club because that’s the player’s preference, but clearly other clubs would be very interested in De Jong.
Not at the price Barca wants. Money talks.

Mane's not a very good example. Liverpool was Mane's big move after being a big success at Southampton, the 3rd most expensive transfer in 2016, and the most expensive African player ever. He also had an agreement with us before deciding to sign for Liverpool. De Jong's already a known entity having had his move to a big club, where in his latest season is often substituted out for Barca's youth and cannot displace Busquets.

I think you could argue that he might very well want to leave due to how they have treated him. But, even if this is true, he cannot say anything public other than how much he wants to stay. If Barcelona were solvent then there’d not even be any rumours because under those circumstances I have no doubts he’s at his dream club.

I’d not be shocked if we hear soon that Barcelona have accepted a bid of 80 million euros from Chelsea for de Jong. If that happens then United will match it and he’ll choose United over Chelsea due to Ten Hag

de Jong doesn't have to move to Chelsea if he doesn't want to. So United doesn't have to match Chelsea's. de Jong holds all the card.

Another day begins... i wonder when the next update tweet will be? The obligatory tweet just rewording a few things to make it sound like new info.

Aside from that... anything happened overnight?

Eh? You suggested that we look away to other targets.
What we certainly don’t want to do is put De Jong in a position in which he feels his only choice it to write off what he is owed and take a huge pay cut, losing tens of millions.
We wait, whilst the player and Barça work it out.
Yes, we look away because this move simply may not happen. We need to make sure everybody knows there are other targets for us to go after which is just common sense. We are the buying club, we aren’t some trapped bystander who just has to accept what happens between De Jong and Barca.
Plus we 100 percent need to put pressure on De Jong. That man is happy to stay. There’s every chance we could be supportive, hold his hand throughout the window only for him to turn around and happily stay on the contract he has right now

Plus we 100 percent need to put pressure on De Jong. That man is happy to stay. There’s every chance we could be supportive, hold his hand throughout the window only for him to turn around and happily stay on the contract he has right now

If we’re pressuring him to walk away from Barca AND 17m euros, we’re gonna lose.

Of course he’s happy to stay at Barça and get the wages he’s owed plus his regular wage, he’s due what? 350k /week or something now for the next few years plus some massive loyalty bonuses.

The problem is, Barça aren’t happy for him to stay on that wage, and he isn’t happy to stay on lower wage nor write off the 17m he’s owed.

I don’t see how pressuring the player would help at all here.
United need to wait whilst De Jong and Barça come to an agreement that works for all parties.

Erm…. Hypocrisy much? :lol:

Mane was a known entity and had his move to a big club and was moving again to a big club, much like De Jong.

Why were only Bayern interested? He was so cheap.
Oh, I thought you were referring to his move to Liverpool. Of course you meant to Bayern. Sure, then let's see the interest from other clubs for De Jong for the price Barca wants, of which there are none, unlike for Mane, who commanded a much lower transfer fee because he was on his last season.

Lose 8million bucks as a compromise?
Remember when we wouldn't pay £6m agent fees to seal the Hazard signing? We played hardball, got the fees down to reasonable territory and offering to pay half the reported owed wage is not exactly terminal to our finances and this signing will go a long way towards lifting the negative cloud around the club.

Oh, I thought you were referring to his move to Liverpool. Of course you meant to Bayern. Sure, then let's see the interest from other clubs for De Jong for the price Barca wants, of which there are none, unlike for Mane, who commanded a much lower transfer fee because he was on his last season.

That makes no sense :lol:

Lower fee should surely mean more interest? Yet only Bayern were interested in Mane?

It’s nonsense obviously, plenty of clubs would’ve wanted him, but we only heard about Bayern because that was clearly his preference from the off. With De Jong though, we’ve already heard plenty of reports that Chelsea would be interested if the United move falls through.

Remember when we wouldn't pay £6m agent fees to seal the Hazard signing? We played hardball, got the fees down to reasonable territory and offering to pay half the reported owed wage is not exactly terminal to our finances and this signing will go a long way towards lifting the negative cloud around the club.

I would front some of the deferred payments and then alter the add-ons. Do the usual Ballon d' Or stipulation. And promise Barca that we won't put a crazy bid in for Lewan.

If we’re pressuring him to walk away from Barca AND 17m euros, we’re gonna lose.

Of course he’s happy to stay at Barça and get the wages he’s owed plus his regular wage, he’s due what? 350k /week or something now for the next few years plus some massive loyalty bonuses.

The problem is, Barça aren’t happy for him to stay on that wage, and he isn’t happy to stay on lower wage nor write off the 17m he’s owed.

I don’t see how pressuring the player would help at all here.
United need to wait whilst De Jong and Barça come to an agreement that works for all parties.
But Barca needs him off the books, the pressure is all on them. Whatever Barca threatens to do to De Jong be it lack of playing time etc we need to amplify because we cannot wait all window hoping he will see sense. Your logic has us waiting to the last possible second without a backup kind to fall back on. This isn’t the De Jong appreciation society, we are Man United and we need to plan better than this. I’m not saying set a deadline by next week but the deadline simply cannot be transfer deadline day. That would be a horrendous decision by us.
We’ll just have to agree to disagree because I can’t see how anybody can be gently persuaded to give up 17m while playing for the club of their dreams. Imo if we are so passive then De Jong can just point to our waiting around and tell Barca they aren’t meeting your demands anyway, I’m happy to stay and it’s up to you to meet them in the middle then I might change my mind.

But Barca needs him off the books, the pressure is all on them.

Of course it is, but once again, us walking away simply opens up an opportunity for another club later in the window, or leaves De Jong late in the window feeling he has no choice but to take a pay cut.
With every day that passes now, without Barça being able to register players, the pressure grows on them to come to an arrangement with the player. The deal with us is there, all they need now is that arrangement with De Jong to get him off the books to buy and register new players.

That makes no sense :lol:

Lower fee should surely mean more interest? Yet only Bayern were interested in Mane?

It’s nonsense obviously, plenty of clubs would’ve wanted him, but we only heard about Bayern because that was clearly his preference from the off. With De Jong though, we’ve already heard plenty of reports that Chelsea would be interested if the United move falls through.
I don't know why you insist on being condescending. You are choosing to ignore my point that not only Bayern were interested. If you don't believe me, go read Mane's quotes that other clubs were interested but he decided on Bayern. The fee is "low" because he's on his final year. So far the Chelsea news appears fabricated by Barca. De Jong's camp has also come out saying that NO other clubs have expressed an interest in him.

You are choosing to ignore my point that not only Bayern were interested.

quote yourself where you made that point? And of course, after the move a player can and usually does say “there were other clubs interested but I wanted insert new club here”.

Before the move however, we heard only of Bayern’s interest.

We’ll see if De Jong moves, but if he does I fully expect similar quotes and that a reunion with ETH was his priority if he was to leave.

I'm predicting we're going to give him a sign on fee (his deferred wages), have him take a bit of a pay cut (cause 400k is honestly ridiculous), and we'll probably agree to a lower transfer fee to Barcelona to get a huge headache of their shoulders.

Don't mind giving De Jong insane wages tbh, I think he alone will completely transform our midfield and our team as a result.

Was it naive of FDJ and his agent? Absolutely, they trusted the club

I can understand the "nativity" of de Jong. He is a young footballer not a lawyer.

However, what was his agent thinking. These guys getting paid millions of USD and can't get a simple, basic contract right by adding a clause that covers his clients rights in the not so unlikely case he might leave Barcelona before the end of his contract.
Mind boggling.

Entirely relaxed about this, Barca are in a shitty situation and everyone knows it. They owe him a pile of money that they can't afford to pay.

He needs to go through the charade of saying he'll stay in order to get the best payoff possible. When we cut through all the smoke, we get to a simple fact, they can't afford to pay him what they owe him over the next 3 - 4 years, so he either buckles, writes off an 8 figure sum and takes a massive pay cut or he comes to Manchester and plays with ETH.

Follow the money.

I can understand the "nativity" of de Jong. He is a young footballer not a lawyer.

However, what was his agent thinking. These guys getting paid millions of USD and can't get a simple, basic contract right by adding a clause that covers his clients rights in the not so unlikely case he might leave Barcelona before the end of his contract.
Mind boggling.
He is not a native Spanish speaker.

How many other clubs were after Mane at that quite frankly ridiculous price? How many other than Barca are after Lewa? Or VVD, or Salah from Roma? Often there appears only one club because that’s the player’s preference, but clearly other clubs would be very interested in De Jong.
All your examples bar maybe Salah publicly stated they want only move to one specific club and no other. Mané to Bayern, Lewandowski to Barcelona, VVD to Liverpool.

Take de Ligt for example who despite having still 2 years of contract, publicly says he wants to leave and is only interested in a move to Bayern. United and Chelsea were interested too but after these statements stopped pursuing the deal until Bayern is either out or sealed the deal.

quote yourself where you made that point? And of course, after the move a player can and usually does say “there were other clubs interested but I wanted insert new club here”.

Before the move however, we heard only of Bayern’s interest.

We’ll see if De Jong moves, but if he does I fully expect similar quotes and that a reunion with ETH was his priority if he was to leave.

"Sure, then let's see the interest from other clubs for De Jong for the price Barca wants, of which there are none, unlike for Mane,

Oh so a player/agent commenting on interested clubs before a transfer matters way more huh, of which De Jong's agent has refuted the Chelsea link.

Bayern being a frontrunner does not equate to no other interest from other clubs.

In Mane's case, he had his heart set on Bayern: https://en.as.com/soccer/sadio-mane-rejected-other-clubs-to-join-bayern-munich-n/

I'm done with this conversation. Have a great weekend.

All your examples bar maybe Salah publicly stated they want only move to one specific club and no other. Mané to Bayern, Lewandowski to Barcelona, VVD to Liverpool.

Take de Ligt for example who despite having still 2 years of contract, publicly says he wants to leave and is only interested in a move to Bayern. United and Chelsea were interested too but after these statements stopped pursuing the deal until Bayern is either out or sealed the deal.

And publicly due to the wage problem and the loyalty payments this player can only state that he is interested in remaining at his current club. Behind-the-scenes though he will obviously have made clear to his agent which club he sees as his priority if he does leave the club, and that is clearly to join his old manager hence the sense that there is no real interest elsewhere .

Not all agents think long term.

What if while trying to add a clause, another agent hijack your deal and get it done quickly or what if Barca reject your deals and refuse to talk to you?

So:
- Barcelona are looking more and more unstable as a club.
- They owe you €17m in wages
- They want you to take a wage cut to stay at the club even though the are pushing to sign big money signings like Lewendowski, Raphina, Kounde etc.
- And they are saying that if you do decide to leave, you will have to forego the €17m you are OWED by the club.

But you still want to stay at this club???
Make it make sense.

So:
- They want you to take a wage cut to stay at the club even though the are pushing to sign big money signings like Lewendowski, Raphina, Kounde etc.
- And they are saying that if you do decide to leave, you will have to forego the €17m you are OWED by the club.

Make it make sense.
But but Barcelona has a pretty city and beaches :(

So:

Make it make sense.
I can't see how he would have to forfeit the money he is owed, if he leaves. It is a written contract and they would have to honour his wages.

Win the PL???? We cannot win an argument.... well transfer arguments anyway!

Doesn't bode well for Erik does it, first time out of the traps for a really big transfer. Don't forget FDJ is his 'boy', but has Frenkie been telling 'porkies' to his old boss, or at least being economical with the truth....? Oh no, perhaps he's been taking lessons from Boris :)

Status
Not open for further replies.