Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has all the hallmarks of 2003, where we were “in talks” with Ronaldinho for months only for Barca to swoop in at the last minute and hijack the deal.
I don't remember much about that one, but i'm pretty sure it was us who cocked about with that transfer and tried to change things at the last moment

either way we need to know what the hell were doing because this midfield is nothing close to good enough. We need reinforcements and fast.

surely they know by now If he wants to come or not. That’s what makes me think something could still happen. Surely we would of walked away if it was impossible.

I wish that was the case, but the United tier list, for example, is quite outdated, as is r/soccer's own tier list. Barcelona seems to have updated theirs, but they seem to heavily base it on Reshad Rehman's evaluations for whatever reason. Then there's AC Milan's, who last updated theirs in 2020.
We do what we can =)

The outlet confirms that Chelsea ‘dream’ of signing the player, but the news of a meeting between Todd Boehly and the Barcelona brass took his agents ‘totally by surprise’, since they ‘knew absolutely nothing’ about the interest.

It’s said De Jong’s entourage continue to deny having received any contact from the Blues, just like they’ve been saying in the past few weeks

Barça, however, could do with the sale, as we all know, and according to the latter outlet, they want at least €80m to let him go, warning the player that in case of an offer of that much arrives, the best for ‘all parties’ is for him to make the move.

Not much to the Chelsea links outside of Barca reaching out for more potential buyers

either way we need to know what the hell were doing because this midfield is nothing close to good enough. We need reinforcements and fast.

surely they know by now If he wants to come or not. That’s what makes me think something could still happen. Surely we would of walked away if it was impossible.
Of course they do.
They'll also know if the Chelsea interest is real too, as his agent will likely update us on if anyone comes in for him.
The fact we're still hanging around shows that there is either some real bluffing going on from Barca, or de Jong genuinely wouldn't want to go to Chelsea.

One of my theories is that our board knows this is a dead end, and are just using the opportunity to not buy anyone, wasting an entire summer on a deal that cannot be made.

One of your theories is very stupid. What is with the obsession that some fans want our club to be the worst? Why would our board publicly humiliate themselves? What do they gain? If you’re going to throw out dumb theories - at least post some substance behind them.

Not much to the Chelsea links outside of Barca reaching out for more potential buyers

Everyone seems to be linking back to the spanish sources... and those that are mentioning it aren't exactly the pinnicle of reliability. Just looking for some quick clicks me thinks

fecks sake

Meanwhile posters here were sitting and mocking and laughing at anyone suggesting that the player does not want to come here. As the days drag on, it seems like the player wants to desperately cling in blind hope that his dear Barca won't force him out. Maybe he will make up his mind in last week of the window.

Starting to think the game is up and sadly Erik is getting a major setback already, we have no choice but to find a plan B
I'm still confident that this will be done but it will look pretty catastrophic if the player we've been chasing all summer and who it seems would have been the focal signing for this new era ends up staying with Barca. Not a good start at all.

I'm beginning to think @sport might not be very reliable.. yesterday they kept insisting the player wants us over Chelsea.

Starting to think the game is up and sadly Erik is getting a major setback already, we have no choice but to find a plan B

We should have organised a backup long ago. This window needed to be near perfect, and instead we have significantly weakened the squad and struggling to make anything stick.

So you don't see the glaring BS in all of this?

On one hand we have de Jongs agent doesn't want to talk to either United or Chelsea, yet it was reported before that relations between de Jongs agent and Barca are totally broken.
de Jongs agent was supposedly in London yesterday discussing de Jong with United reps whilst this meeting was going on between Chelsea and Barca.
de Jongs agent represents several of our players too, so i'm pretty sure he wouldn't refuse to talk to us about a transfer we've been persuing for 2 months, one which, by all accounts he's been actively involved in.

It's a mess, we've got all these stories coming out, most contradicting the other, it's pretty much what Barca want, i bet whilst this is all going on, they'll offer de Jong a lowball contract on crap wages and the requirement to forgo his deferred pay, and then when that is rejected, they'll break that they did all they could but a deal cannot be reached and he must be sold.

We need to walk away from this whole shambolic circus now and focus on other players. Wasted far far too much time.

Is the Sport generally a pro Barca paper? This saga is boring. Same Nonsense over and over except even the bbc got in on this one.

Is the Sport generally a pro Barca paper? This saga is boring. Same Nonsense over and over except even the bbc got in on this one.
No idea but they're been pushing the Chelsea links hard, almost as if they're being told too...

We need to walk away from this whole shambolic circus now and focus on other players. Wasted far far too much time.

Tbh this would be the logical thing to do but hey if there's any chance of sealing this deal, I think we should hang in there whilst looking at alternative options.

One of my theories is that our board knows this is a dead end, and are just using the opportunity to not buy anyone, wasting an entire summer on a deal that cannot be made.
Because that sounds like a sensible plan when we lost 6 players out of contract and our fan base is largely militant at this point. MIght want to think that one through again.

Don’t think this one’s Happening… is there any other cm that can play the role he does? It’s a shame because I see de Jong as vital to how ten Hag wants to play. He could be the missing piece of our puzzle.

No idea but they're been pushing the Chelsea links hard, almost as if they're being told too...
They're pro-Barca, yeah, but most of their journalists don't have solid sources at the club. I wouldn't rely on them for reliable news save for 1-2 of their journalists (one of which isn't Lluis Miguelsanz). They're only pushing this because other, more reliable journalists/outlets reported on this.

Can't see why ten hag would seemingly be so insistent on pursuing him if he wasn't confident of getting him. Still think he will end up here but it is frustrating it is dragging on.

Well we’ve bought a player already so this theory is already dead in the water.

They're pro-Barca, yeah, but most of their journalists don't have solid sources at the club. I wouldn't rely on them for reliable news save for 1-2 of their journalists (one of which isn't Lluis Miguelsanz). They're only pushing this because other, more reliable journalists/outlets reported on this.
So basically they're just seeing that someone reliable posted something (possibly told to by Barca directly, or people close to them) and they're jumping on the bandwagon and milking it for all it's worth?

So basically they're just seeing that someone reliable posted something (possibly told to by Barca directly, or people close to them) and they're jumping on the bandwagon and milking it for all it's worth?
Pretty much. None of their reliable journalists have reported on their recent stories, hence why I'm not paying much attention to them.

Pretty much. None of their reliable journalists have reported on their recent stories, hence why I'm not paying much attention to them.
Thanks for clearing that up for me! I've been taking their reports with a pinch of salt anyway, but everything just seems so contradictory at the moment

If you've played all the games they play
You played them yesterday
Walkaway, walkaway
If you've been, where they want to go
Seen all they got to show
Just walkaway, walkaway, walkaway
That's what they say, what they say,
what they say
You gotta walkaway

Status
Not open for further replies.