Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

Big Andy

Bloke
Point being there's more to signing a player than quality.

Like, do they want to play for you? Are they just after a massive payday?
I would hope that future contracts and signings are heavily incentivised on performance with a lower basic wage. It would hopefully be the start of a new era of players actually playing for the shirt instead of their pockets.

hobbers

I would hope that future contracts and signings are heavily incentivised on performance with a lower basic wage. It would hopefully be the start of a new era of players actually playing for the shirt instead of their pockets.
Yeah hopefully, and actually taking a principled stance and walking away from players when their agents take the piss. Like we did with Hazard.

If we'd told Sancho's agent to feck off and dropped the offer by 100k a week, would that have stopped the deal? No since it would still have been 3x his Dortmund salary.

GoldanoGraham

Can’t believe that this BS is still doing the rounds.

He doesn’t want to leave Barca and doesn’t want to join us. Never has. This is just noise.

Bobski

Where would he even play in the midfield set up Ten Hag has played this season?

DM would be the obvious answer but De Jong is a guy who is pretty poor defensively and has needed cover around him to cope, Christensen has played as a shield for much of the season for Barca.

aeh1991

Where would he even play in the midfield set up Ten Hag has played this season?

DM would be the obvious answer but De Jong is a guy who is pretty poor defensively and has needed cover around him to cope, Christensen has played as a shield for much of the season for Barca.
Basically Mainoo is playing his role so we don't need him anymore. What we need more are the players that play E.Alvarez' and Tagliafico's roles.

Bobski

Basically Mainoo is playing his role so we don't need him anymore. What we need more are the players that play E.Alvarez' and Tagliafico's roles.
Mainoo is playing the role Mount and then McTominay were playing this season, pushed forward, out of the game. Even Ten Hag wouldn't play De Jong there, surely, when his best asset is driving the ball forward from deep.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Erik will get FDJ. But they'll both be at Bayern. :nervous:

Hammondo

They are different players though, Frankie is far more focused towards passing. We would need a DM behind them though.

Robertd0803

Erik will get FDJ. But they'll both be at Bayern. :nervous:
Seems acceptable to me. FDJ is class but no idea where he would fit in or play here effectivley and wouldnt trust EtH to know either at this point. FDJ clearly not wanting to come here mitigates the fact he would probably be great at Bayern.

EtH on the other hand you can gladly have.

The-Mezzala

You haven't even appreciated Sabitzer! Who is not nearly as good and who I don't shed a tear for.
You have to have a big like impact with modern fan bases now which is frustrating . The £50 million for Mount over a bargain £15 million for Sabitzer seems crazy now. I rated Sabitzer Sevilla at home was his best game in a united shirt. Laimer is just the type of player we need in midfield seen him a few times in the champions league impressed.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You have to have a big like impact with modern fan bases now which is frustrating . The £50 million for Mount over a bargain £15 million for Sabitzer seems crazy now. I rated Sabitzer Sevilla at home was his best game in a united shirt. Laimer is just the type of player we need in midfield seen him a few times in the champions league impressed.
(I used some white text.) Sabitzer is okay but nothing special. Not good enough for Bayern or United‘s ambition.
Laimer (and Guerreiro) are not world class either but fantastic additions.
Back on topic: FDJ is earning a shitload so Barca is certainly willing to talk. The holdup is the player not wanting to leave. Which is understandable.

The-Mezzala

(I used some white text.) Sabitzer is okay but nothing special. Not good enough for Bayern or United‘s ambition.
Laimer (and Guerreiro) are not world class either but fantastic additions.
Back on topic: FDJ is earning a shitload so Barca is certainly willing to talk. The holdup is the player not wanting to leave. Which is understandable.
I think FDJ is much more likely to join Bayern than Us. Still surprised people actually think this transfer has any substance. Made it perfectly clear he had no interest. My hope was it you did sign FDJ. We then get one of your midfielders. Laimer the most likely and from what I have seen would be a good partner for Mainoo but I dont watch a lot of Bundesliga so could be wrong. Just looked good against Real and Arsenal

Darlington Padgett

His situation is similar to what we saw with Pogba here. They said that Busquets was holding him back and he was the reason he wasn't fulfilling his potential. Now that Busquets is gone, he's nowhere near as good as he was when Busquets was there.

Stadjer

Why wouldnt ETH want to bring Frenkie de Jong to a new club? Surely every manager in the world wouldnt mind having a midfielder of Frenkie his quality in his squad....

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It’s a very obvious signing that we must make. ETH has been pretty vocal that he needs FDJ to play his best football, and if he’s available we should buy him at any cost. Probably going to take £80m or so plus paying off whatever Barca owe him.

It would be utter incompetence to not buy him when he’s so critical for the manager.

SATA

I actually think we are finally going to sign him this summer, which means Ten hag will be given his opportunity to shape his team and style for the final year of his contract. And if it doesn’t work out by January/February next year, he’ll be shown the door

Darlington Padgett

It’s a very obvious signing that we must make. ETH has been pretty vocal that he needs FDJ to play his best football, and if he’s available we should buy him at any cost. Probably going to take £80m or so plus paying off whatever Barca owe him.

It would be utter incompetence to not buy him when he’s so critical for the manager.
He's earning 1m/week according to reports and he's stated that he doest not want to leave Barcelona. Barcelona agreed to sell but he said no, we should just move on for that. Is not incompetente if he's not willing to move.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's earning 1m/week according to reports and he's stated that he doest not want to leave Barcelona. Barcelona agreed to sell but he said no, we should just move on for that. Is not incompetente if he's not willing to move.
I think it was closer to £500k a week and he only has two years left on his deal so we would probably pay it off, like £40m in one go and then give him a normal wage. So that’s like a £120m fee, including both this payment and the fee to Barcelona, for a player our manager desperately wants and admires greatly, considering him very critical to his style. If we are backing ETH then we have to make that signing, otherwise we are just creating new excuses.

I know Barca likes him and he likes Barcelona but in their financial position they can’t exactly afford to turn it down.

SER19

Anybody knowledgeable enough to list some current players with a similar style to de jong that we could consider? Prem and non prem?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He would get eaten alive in this league.

Fred pretty much nullified him when we played Barca in Europa. Can't imagine what would happen when much quicker and stronger midfielders are pressing him week in and week out.

Hammondo

I feel he's a Bayern Munich type of player, if they could get him playing how he wants, would be very good.

Pronewbie

Peep
He would get eaten alive in this league.

Fred pretty much nullified him when we played Barca in Europa. Can't imagine what would happen when much quicker and stronger midfielders are pressing him week in and week out.
Yes. And again, I think top-tier football has moved on from someone like Frenkie being considered a world-class CM. These days, you need a higher floor on your weaker attributes.

The amount of talented young midfielders coming through European academies is frightening and it feels like every few years the bar is noticeably raised. The meme on the caf about Yagami preferring a certain type of technically gifted player hardly applies any more because that seems to be the baseline.

Bobski

If De Jong is acquired I guess that means Utd are moving away from the 4-1-----------41 formation because De Jong only really fits into the DM role and he is not very good defensively.

Would surely mean a deeper pair, which begs the question of why the feck he has been playing the absurd midfield set up he has, unless it has been a season and a half long tantrum to get his pet player.

Should make De Jong player manager, if the secret sauce has always been De Jong then what does Ten Hag bring?

Last edited:

lex talionis

The answer has to be no, let’s not even waste his time telling us no again and again.

Yakuza_devils

Stop signing the player identified by ETH, haven't we learned anything? Also, he doesn't has the physicality for PL. Either he will get injured a lot or he will be Antony 2.0 with even more expensive fees and higher wages.

I thought Ineos say we need to change approach to sign up and coming players to build the team and no more silly transfer fees and wages!

We are talking about 500k to 1M weekly wages here without the signing fees yet! It should be a hard pass!

Judas

Open to offers
I just have no real appetite to see us sign him. Not for the price, his character, his desire, and most of all how he plays I don't think will gel well with the PL.

dinostar77

I actually think we are finally going to sign him this summer, which means Ten hag will be given his opportunity to shape his team and style for the final year of his contract. And if it doesn’t work out by January/February next year, he’ll be shown the door
I can see the appeal for him, who wants to play in the CL every season, compete for the league title and have to deal with all the blue skies every day and Mediterranean sea?

Hard life.

Better come to a shambles of a club who will probably finish 8th and waste the best years of your career without competing for a title and no CL football.