French Elections 2017

Very sad that european politics have been reduced to detecting the fascist candidate and then going into full panic mode trying to elect anyone else instead, even if that someone is not really what people want.

The idea that elections should be about hope of positive change has been replaced by fear that something really bad might come.

I don't see how this is sustainable long-term. The reasons that lead people to the hands of these disguised (sometimes not that disguised) fascists are not being addressed anywhere. Eventually they will start winning if nothing is done.
Agree 100%. They should keep their fkin noses out. I dont think are even supposed to comment during election campaigns. Tossers.

Le Pen is constantly connected to Russia in the media, which is fair enough since clearly Putin may see her as the best candidate from Russia's point of view.

But who is behind Macron's rapid rise? In a matter of a few months not a very well known politician has managed to quickly disassociate himself from the unpopular Hollande cabinet and become everybody's favorite. Some very important people with very deep pockets and huge media resources must have decided he was a good bet and it has worked brilliantly.

Last edited:
Yes, it's absolutely unthinkable that French voters were looking for somebody with neither far left nor far right ideas. :rolleyes:

Le Pen is constantly connected to Russia in the media, which is fair enough since clearly Putin may see her as the best candidate from Russia's point of view.

But who is behind Macron's rapid rise? In a matter of a few months not a very well known politician has managed to quickly disassociate himself from the unpopular Hollande cabinet and become everybody's favorite. Some very important people with very deep pockets and huge media resources must have decided he was a good bet and it has worked brilliantly.

Le Pen is linked with Russia because she has a loan with a Russian bank whereas French banks wouldn't lend her the money. She has met Putin recently and clearly Putin wants a break-up of the EU, also Russian media disappointed with the result of the first round

Macron was known and left the PS in 2009 but carried on as a minister He even has a law named after him.
Campaign was financed by donations which is limited to a maximum of €7500 per person per year and he took out a bank loan of €8 million as did Mélenchon who got a bank loan for a similar amount.

Last edited:
Of course it's good to see a consensus against fascism, but if that's the only thing that unites people, and not an actual project for the future, than it's a bit sad, that's all. With time I predict that won't be enough. I truly hope I'm wrong.
I think that's harsh, and that Macron's plan to rebalance the French economy looks like the most substantial project of anything raised by any of the parties.

An equivalent to Germany's Agenda 2010 would do more to get people into jobs and turn them away from fascism then any other political movement that I could think of.

Whether he's successful if elected is another question. There would be a tonne of opposition to his plans, as there was as Finance Minister.

Not election related, but worth posting still

I think that's harsh, and that Macron's plan to rebalance the French economy looks like the most substantial project of anything raised by any of the parties.

An equivalent to Germany's Agenda 2010 would do more to get people into jobs and turn them away from fascism then any other political movement that I could think of.

Whether he's successful if elected is another question. There would be a tonne of opposition to his plans, as there was as Finance Minister.

I'm sure he has a plan and maybe it's the best one, or the best one possible right now.

But I know people in France (and I've heard the same from family in America or online friends in the Netherlands) and if you ask them why they vote Macron (or Hillary for that matter) it's not because they like them or the project. Sometimes they don't even know very well what the project is or they outright don't like it very much. Their vote is a anti-vote in the sense that it's a vote anti-fascist/crazy candidate, not a vote that reflects a real belief in the project their voting for.

If this is just a period in time and the fascist/crazy candidates will eventually disapear then that would be fine, but I don't think they are going anywhere unless the current EU politics change and I don't see that changing either. So how sustainable is this?

Hopefully Macron doesn't look incredibly promising, poll quite well onto a few days before the vote, and then completely crumble when it comes down to it in the end...

But at least he's finished not to finish 4th. A starting point, certainly.
Showed great character.

@maniak
People need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's not the EU's fault that the French labor market hasn't been competitive for some time.

@maniak
People need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's not the EU's fault that the French labor market hasn't been competitive for some time.

People aren't that smart if you go by the FN rhetoric. Yesterday Louis Alliot was on RMC and he started to blame the Euro and the EU claiming that it made people poorer because prices soared, the presenter interjected him and said that it was partially due to the bad habit that a lot of merchants have to round up prices to the superior decimal which he countered by claiming that the merchants where innocent of such a thing and victim of bunch of taxes(for example the CSG). The only problem being that all the taxes he mentioned were french taxes and had nothing to do with the EU.

People are tragically dumb, never doubt that fact.

@maniak
This.

Poor economics leads to discontent more than anything else. Using the tools we've seen work elsewhere (liberalising the economy) will improve the lives of more people than anything else on offer in this election. Campaigning persuasively and passionately for this, and highlighting the lies of the opposing arguments are all that we can do to beat the fear of the far right.

I can see @maniak's argument in relation to the Hilary campaign, which seemed to be more anti-Trump than pro-anything else, but Macron does at least appear to be standing for something. Really hope he achieves in office.

No idea whether this thing Macron is doing at the Whirlpool plant is of any benefit to him, but I like that he's doing it.

Winners of each region: (yellow=Macron, dark blue = MLP, light blue = FF, red is as it should be)

450px-%C3%89lection_pr%C3%A9sidentielle_de_2017_par_d%C3%A9partement_T1.svg.png

Runners-up in each region:
450px-%C3%89lection_pr%C3%A9sidentielle_de_2017_par_d%C3%A9partement_T1_2%C3%A8me.svg.png

It's fairly obvious overall IMO. There's geneally no region where Fillon competes with Melenchon. The 2nd option of his regions is MLP.
In one half of MLP's areas, the leading opposition is Macron, in most of the others it's Melenchon.
In Macron areas, Melenchon is the 2nd option mostly, sometimes Fillon.

Looks like Le Pencil scored a win today by talking to real people while Macron was sat on his arse. Fair play.

Sat on his arse talking to the same people, after spending hours in a meeting with these real people's unions, while Le Pen spent the grand total of 15 minutes on the site.

@maniak

I was talking more in general, after all France is France: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-deficit-france-idUKKCN0YM1N0

The lazy bastards from the south who only want money for booze and women have no leeway at all, even if it means increasing poverty to fascism period levels. Do you honestly think the EU can't do a thing about the situation in some countries?

I simply can't separate the rise of the far-right to the disastrous EU politics of not caring much about people and putting banks and finance above everything else.

But I understand people from countries who are not continuously offended by EU politicians have some more tolerance to their politics.

And to clarify, I'm not anti-EU, I love the idea of it, but the original idea of "lets grow together", not the current EU.

People are tragically dumb, never doubt that fact.

Most people don't vote with their intelect. They look at their lives and ask "is my life better than it was 4 years ago?". In the south, the answer is clearly no.

So that argument about tariffs may be true for France, but it doesn't aplly to the south.

Most people don't vote with their intelect. They look at their lives and ask "is my life better than it was 4 years ago?". In the south, the answer is clearly no.

So that argument about tariffs may be true for France, but it doesn't aplly to the south.

What are you talking about, what south?

I'm assuming the little red dot towards the north of that voting map is Paris?

Looks like Le Pencil scored a win today by talking to real people while Macron was sat on his arse. Fair play.
Wrong.

10516629.jpg

He went into the middle of a hostile crowd and spoke to them, whilst Le Pen posed for some selfies.

I moved the EU argument to an european level, so southern Europe.

Maybe I went a bit off topic sorry.

You definitely went off topic and that's a big problem because France's problems have nothing to do with the EU and aren't comparable to other countries in the EU. Our politicians took decisions that were detrimental to the industry in general, they did it because they considered that the 21th century would be about Services and they abandoned the old industrial regions and some rural areas. That's a problem within France and that problem only exists in the old wealthy regions who are now poor because they didn't adjust their activities to the new industries and technologies.

You definitely went off topic and that's a big problem because France's problems have nothing to do with the EU and aren't comparable to other countries in the EU. Our politicians took decisions that were detrimental to the industry in general, they did it because they considered that the 21th century would be about Services and they abandoned the old industrial regions and some rural areas. That's a problem within France and that problem only exists in the old wealthy regions who are now poor because they didn't adjust their activities to the new industries and technologies.

Fair enough, national politics are certainly to blame for many problems.

But in my first post I mentioned the US and the Netherlands so my criticism was more general than just France. In fact, France, alongside Germany is one of the biggest beneficiaries of the EU, so they don't really have much to complain.