French Elections 2017

:D In reality, I was wrong because I expected Le Pen to be 1st
I put a fiver on Macron to top the first round a month or two ago so I'm hopeful these semi-exits prove correct :lol:

It wasn't really big deal for me, foreigners seem to care a lot about who is first.

Edit: Fillon is "supporting" Macron.
Please tell me he did the speech marks with his hands whilst saying it :lol:

If Le Pen pulls this off, is that the end of polling in the world?

In France, the polling institutes were smart in the last days and said 'Everything is possible: 4 candidates (MLP, Macron, Mélenchon, Fillon) can reach the 2nd round'

Like in 2002, everybody against Le Pen.

History repeats itself.

Impressive how the other candidates have attacked Le Pen so strongly already.

Like in 2002, everybody against Le Pen.

History repeats itself.
It was 82% for Chirac in 2002, it will be nowhere as emphatic this time round. It's a sign of the times really, 2002 was a massive shock, this time round we'll only be relieved if Macron wins.

It was 82% for Chirac in 2002, it will be nowhere as emphatic this time round. It's a sign of the times really, 2002 was a massive shock, this time round we'll only be relieved if Macron wins.

Yeah.

This time, the winner of the 2nd round won't get more than 60% IMO

Bullshit argument.
I'm so tired of hearing this.
They were well within margin of error and with a bullshit system like the US, it was always a possibility. It wasn't a huge one, but no one acted like it was impossible.

The national polls in the US were pretty accurate. She won the popular vote by about 2% which is roughly what most polls indicated.

So what? Seriously, do you understand how polling work in the slightest?
American polling wasn't wrong, the states results were will within the margin of error and on point apart for 2-3 states. Correct in this case is also when something is called to close to call, like Florida. Because of the retarded American system, few upsets, which were all well within the margin of error, swung the electoral college result around by a huge margin. People like Nate Silver clearly pointed out this was a possibility a few hours before the election.
So, instead of posting random links of bullshit, maybe try to actually understand the matter.

On the other hand, some 'pundits' were certain that Clinton would win, no?

So what? Seriously, do you understand how polling work in the slightest?
American polling wasn't wrong, the states results were will within the margin of error and on point apart for 2-3 states. Correct in this case is also when something is called to close to call, like Florida. Because of the retarded American system, few upsets, which were all well within the margin of error, swung the electoral college result around by a huge margin. People like Nate Silver clearly pointed out this was a possibility a few hours before the election.
So, instead of posting random links of bullshit, maybe try to actually understand the matter.
You do realise that guy who had to eat a bug had been correct for a huge number of years?

Anyway, I get your point, but 20% polling errors are unheard of.

Exactly what I said. Huge populaces in countrywide elections are easy to poll, but the electoral college is way more difficult to predict.

The electoral college is usually pretty straight forward as well. Silver nailed it 50/50 and 49/50 during the previous two cycles. This was just a strange outlier year with populism/putin/comey/assange etc.

You do realise that guy who had to eat a bug had been correct for a huge number of years?

Anyway, I get your point, but 20% polling errors are unheard of.

Well no one claims polls are 100% correct. But in a popular vote system, they tend to be far more correct than in systems like GB or the US, where it comes down to states/counties.

Well no one claims polls are 100% correct. But in a popular vote system, they tend to be far more correct than in systems like GB or the US, where it comes down to states/counties.
That's very true.

Not that it affects your point but constituencies are far smaller than counties, for UK general elections. Only use 'counties' in the European Parliament elections.

Le Pen getting only 21-22% is a really good sign. It is hard to see that she can win enough new voters from the other camps. Sure, some conservatives, some protest voters, a few who really hate the EU, but thats just not enough. At the same time Fillion and Hamon are going to support Macron, while Melenchon voters are probably just staying at home.