Frank Lampard | Burnley?

It really is astonishing just how little responsibility he's willing to take. Again pointing the finger at the previous regime in defeat today.

He's not very good, is he?
Still think he can win four league matches and will survive. It is good for him and Everton to concentrate on league. But Frank need to clear his ego .

He need to realise building from the back that is very important in this league.Defending should be his priority because he will play most teams above them on table. Get three draws against big teams win two three games. His coaching of try to attack like clueless chicken won't go far to be honest.Every team will pick you apart in this league.

Even at chelsea his all out attack with better defenders didn't go that well. So need to be careful.

It really is astonishing just how little responsibility he's willing to take. Again pointing the finger at the previous regime in defeat today.

He's doubling down again on the kind of attitude that had him flying out of the Chelsea job high and far. He needs to realize that no matter what a legendary footballer he was, as a manager, he is a fecking nobody and has it all to prove. He's the one who needs to prove he deserves the job, not the players.

While he has his problems, it's lame to think that Everton downfall is down to Lampard's own capabilities as a manager.

Everton are at a stage that imo any managerial appointment will be a failure. They're shit.

It’s already set to implode. The only grace I give him is that whoever took Everton was going to struggle.

I hope he gets another season with Everton in the EPL but it doesn't look good for him. He is starting to sound a bit like he did when it went wrong at Chelsea.

He's doubling down again on the kind of attitude that had him flying out of the Chelsea job high and far. He needs to realize that no matter what a legendary footballer he was, as a manager, he is a fecking nobody and has it all to prove. He's the one who needs to prove he deserves the job, not the players.

Absolutely. He genuinely doesn't seem to realise this. The only thing that's he's got going for him is that the teams below his squad are so poor. But Everton are still far too close to the abyss for comfort. Lost four of the last 5 league games which is worse form than every other team in the league apart from rock bottom Norwich (and Brighton, but they're not in any danger of relegation).

In my opinion coming out like he has is something of a mistake. It's tough because after a 4-0 to a team like Palace I think he feels like he has to say something in the way of mitigation, but it would have been smarter to just play it with a straight bat, no matter how tough that is. By going in all guns blazing he risks alienating a few soft players that actually he needs performances from in crucial league games.

The reality is all he has to do is not get relegated. They're in the box seat to do that, they have more points, they have games to play, they have the squad to not be one of the worst three teams in the league. Just don't self implode. Play to the teams strengths (Calvert-Lewin, mainly).

He needs to get through this season, and be given a chance next season and then I'll judge him. If he gets relegated then that's simply not good enough and the judgment comes early. That's football, you can't get Everton relegated from this position and not expect judgment no matter how bad Benitez was. But people are going in too early on Lampard.

Reminds me of when Yorke discussed that time Keane went in and kung fu kicked the tactics board at half time and thought to himself 'maybe management isn't for Keano'.

Reminds me of when Yorke discussed that time Keane went in and kung fu kicked the tactics board at half time and thought to himself 'maybe management isn't for Keano'.
It's strange because if there's one thing I thought Lampard would have had a vice like grip on it's man management.

I hope he gets another season with Everton in the EPL but it doesn't look good for him. He is starting to sound a bit like he did when it went wrong at Chelsea.

the issue is, he won’t have the resources or name that Chelsea gave him. He won’t get 250million in the summer to build the squad. He will struggle at Everton I feel.

I agree with him. The players do lack bollocks and have been weak mentally and physically this season + Benitez and Moshiri have left us in a mess which is almost irrepairable. It's one of those situations though that will either spectacularly backfire or work though. Time will tell.

I agree with him. The players do lack bollocks and have been weak mentally and physically this season + Benitez and Moshiri have left us in a mess which is almost irrepairable. It's one of those situations though that will either spectacularly backfire or work though. Time will tell.

I'm sure you're right, I just don't know how effective a motivator it is for the manager to come out saying "what do you expect, they were doomed before I got here, there's nothing I can do" after every loss. Of course I don't know what he's actually saying to them behind closed doors. The win against Newcastle seemed to suggest there's just enough there for you to stay up at least.

Well, quite. But there’s a question of how many managers in the modern game can get a reaction with that approach. Not many thank I can think of in recent times. If that’s the only tool in his box then I suspect he’s fundamentally flawed as a manager. If he does understand that that’s not as likely to bring about a positive result and he’s still doing it for reasons of either self-preservation or frustration, then he’ll have to learn that lesson quickly, because modern players will see through that and won’t be inclined to go with him.

I don't blame Lampard or Benitez for the position Everton are in.

I blame the fans.

They had 2 choices when Benitez was appointed - roll with it and back him; his Liverpool past, while it can't be eradicated is long in the past. Or alternatively create a poison atmosphere and try to get him out from day one.

They chose Option B and sadly that whole negativity just embedded itself throughout the whole club.

So by the time the Board decided enough was enough, then took their time appointing Lampard a lot of the damage was irreversible.

I still think he will make a good manager one day but taking the Everton job was a terrible decision by him because the rot had already set in.

As for questioning the mentality of the players, I'm struggling to think of too many examples where that has ended well for other managers.

It's strange because if there's one thing I thought Lampard would have had a vice like grip on it's man management.

From his playing days, Mourinho was probably his biggest influence. Problem is that sort of man management doesn't work anymore as all the players now have been pampered since they came out of nappies and made millionaires in their teens. Lampard's generation was virtually the last to have had the YTS system so the Jose method still worked in the 00's.

I have nothing against Everton, but I'd love it if Everton went down from here because the effort media puts in to defend Lampard is over the top most of the time.

While they have the quality, their last 11 games aren't that easy - WHU, Pool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, Leicester x2. The Burnley game will be huge, and Watford (if they're still clinging on) and Brentford games wouldnt be a walk in the park either.

Burnley on the other hand - have to play WHU, Spurs and City. Watford is another game that may prove to be tricky depending on Watford''s situation. And they also have Wolves that may be a slightly tricky fixture. But, all said, Burnley's fixture run is much more straight forward as compared to Everton

Lampard always shifting the blame.

January 2021 before he was fired from Chelsea

“The squad consistency is not the same, the level, the robustness of players who’ve won leagues is not the same. The ability of players that can get you results, at the top end of the pitch in a tight game, is not quite there. It is a developing team.

“I can’t get caught up in what the reaction will be or I will be sitting there all day concerned about it. I took this job knowing there would be difficult times because it is not a club ready to compete.”

Aside from Mourinho, I don't think there's many managers out there that take less responsibility when their team loses than Lampard does. . Never the tactics. Never him. How could he POSSIBLY coach this lot? Tactics were fine for 15 minutes, then it went to shit. Clearly, that's a them problem, not me.

If there's one thing he learned from Jose, it's this.

That late smash and grab against Newcastle will be priceless, and he is lucky that none of the teams in the bottom three really seem to be picking up points. I don't think they are likely to go down, unless Burnley can find some form.

He is not a very good manager, but you also have to question why in the world he would want to take the Everton job. Wouldn't the smart thing have been to regroup in the Championship to develop as a manager in a less challenging and stressful situation?

That late smash and grab against Newcastle will be priceless, and he is lucky that none of the teams in the bottom three really seem to be picking up points. I don't think they are likely to go down, unless Burnley can find some form.

He is not a very good manager, but you also have to question why in the world he would want to take the Everton job. Wouldn't the smart thing have been to regroup in the Championship to develop as a manager in a less challenging and stressful situation?

Their game vs Burnley is huge. If Everton lose that, I think Everton are as likely to go down, especially considering their fixtures are horrible. Win that, and Everton are quite safe

Don’t think his ego would have allowed that after managing Chelsea. He’s a bit of an odd one, seemed like he wouldn’t have much trouble taking to management at the end of his career but every time I hear him speak about the game I just don’t think he has the right mentality and mindset for coaching yet. He’s apparently watched a lot of games to study in this past year but his flaws are the same.

Not sure he spent enough time learning to coach modern players.

Don’t think his ego would have allowed that after managing Chelsea. He’s a bit of an odd one, seemed like he wouldn’t have much trouble taking to management at the end of his career but every time I hear him speak about the game I just don’t think he has the right mentality and mindset for coaching yet. He’s apparently watched a lot of games to study in this past year but his flaws are the same.

Exactly. It almost seems like pure hubris. Contrast that to Gerrard who took three full seasons with Rangers before moving to the Premier League. Gerrard might also simply be a much better manager, but that kind of approach just seems much more sensible.

Watford have some very winnable games in their run in, certainly more than Everton and Burnley. If one team from the bottom three catch Everton, I reckon it is more likely to be them.

I dunno, I remember when he first started their were a couple of ex-colleagues (England) that said he didn't strike them as a manager type from knowing him as a player. I think one was Rio, not sure on who the other(s) were but I do remember a couple of them mentioning it. Additionally, when he was a player, he was rumoured to be a bit of a perfectionist/surly, those qualities are great as a player as it can give them a massive drive, not so great as a manager when things aren't going 100% to plan as they can feel pressure easily/lose prespective/lash out.

Saw him moaning that some of Palace’s goals were “flukes”, the audacity

Everton we're thoroughly outplayed. Lampard won't go far with this attitude. He's beginning to have a Keane at Sunderland type meltdown. There's no coming back from that. I do think he has higher caliber than Keane, Neville and Scholes but he needs to reign it in

What was said about him at Chelsea?
Kind of an arrogant, snobby approach.
He had his favourites and did not hide it. Did not even try to form a unit of the starters and the fringe players,

He insisted on being addressed formally even by players he had played with while active.

Kind of stuck with the same approach despite a run if poor results.

I don't blame Lampard or Benitez for the position Everton are in.

I blame the fans.

They had 2 choices when Benitez was appointed - roll with it and back him; his Liverpool past, while it can't be eradicated is long in the past. Or alternatively create a poison atmosphere and try to get him out from day one.

They chose Option B and sadly that whole negativity just embedded itself throughout the whole club.

So by the time the Board decided enough was enough, then took their time appointing Lampard a lot of the damage was irreversible.

I still think he will make a good manager one day but taking the Everton job was a terrible decision by him because the rot had already set in.

As for questioning the mentality of the players, I'm struggling to think of too many examples where that has ended well for other managers.

Goodison Park is vile, but Benitez was a terrible choice of manager and fully deserving of the sack. Everton’s entire footballing structure is culpable.

I like how he blames it all on Rafa who basically was given some change from the back of the sofa and a ham sandwich to bring new players in with when Frank is the pillock who signed Dele and DVB for a relegation battle.

I like how he blames it all on Rafa who basically was given some change from the back of the sofa and a ham sandwich to bring new players in with when Frank is the pillock who signed Dele and DVB for a relegation battle.

I think he's just telling the Everton fans what they want to hear because the vast majority are still behind him (Going by their forums/ social media, reddit etc) and they feel that there is a media agenda against Frank and that the whole world is out to get him for "Speaking the truth".

Whether that's the right thing for the club who knows but it seems like Everton fans are happy for him to stick around.

Watford won the last prem game they played didn't they?

Their home form is terrible but still got Leeds, Burnley, Brentford and Everton to play at Vicarage road so if they could win three of those that would put some pressure on Everton.