Frank Lampard | Burnley?

Probably not, but they are a million miles away from challenging for anything. It needs massive changes. The squad is rubbish, the manager is rubbish. It will be a while until they get that new stadium.
Utd or Everton ?

Utd or Everton ?
Everton are in a bigger mess than us. Problem with us is that we set the expectations that high even when we don't have the squad to achieve it. A lot of our players expect CL football but do not perform in the league to achieve CL football. All we have is now winning the CL this season.

I want either Everton to go down as a massive shock, or Leeds to go down for very obvious reasons. Don’t mind Burnley or Watford.

I want either Everton to go down as a massive shock, or Leeds to go down for very obvious reasons. Don’t mind Burnley or Watford.

Burnley/Leeds/Everton really is a no loss scenario.

Preference would be Everton, but it's about time Burnley bored off too.

And his high IQ.
Bah! If he were that intelligent he’d have got a job at a club where he could get by on his strengths in the short term, while at the same time working to overcome his weaknesses in a supportive environment. Everton is about as far away from that as you can get.

Probably not, but they are a million miles away from challenging for anything. It needs massive changes. The squad is rubbish, the manager is rubbish. It will be a while until they get that new stadium.

They are gone bad alright

If they don't go down this year then next year will be dicey. Their FFP situation means they are almost certainly starting next season with a points deduction if they stay up and they won't have a penny to spend.

That sounds bad.

I think they've discovered a sixth stage of grief here:

zMyzFvT.png

You have to almost feel sorry for them :lol:

It doesn’t surprise me that Everton were stupid enough to offer the job to Lampard.
But what was Lampard thinking? I mean the best he could / would do is keeping them in the Prem. That’s hardly an achievement, it’s Everton after all, not Derby. No idea why he took the job.

But what was Lampard thinking? I mean the best he could / would do is keeping them in the Prem. That’s hardly an achievement, it’s Everton after all, not Derby. No idea why he took the job

He was thinking .. "If I keep these guys up my friends and family members in the media will spin this as a massive achievement. If I don't my friends and family members in the media will say I was unlucky that I was saddled with such a low quality squad and nobody else could have done any better".

It doesn’t surprise me that Everton were stupid enough to offer the job to Lampard.
But what was Lampard thinking? I mean the best he could / would do is keeping them in the Prem. That’s hardly an achievement, it’s Everton after all, not Derby. No idea why he took the job.

His first season with us was decent considering, finished 4th and integrated academy players well. Just defensively there were issues at times.

His ego is answer to second point, will have expected to easily keep Everton up. He still might in fairness. Also wanting to get back to work most probably!

Wait, has he only won 1 league game in 6 attempts? :nervous:

Absolutely loving what's happening to Everton at the moment, especially after the fans hounded Vitor Pereira out before he was even given a chance at Goodison Park. I really, really hope that Lampard sends them down. Pereira must be laughing his socks off.

I said at the time that Lampard would be gone by xmas and probably wouldn't last the season. I really don't know why he thinks he's a Premier League manager. Based on what exactly?

When you look at their fixtures coming up, I can't see where the points are going to come from.

I think Benitez needs to shoulder majority of the blame if they do go down. Not that he will, of course.

Absolutely loving what's happening to Everton at the moment, especially after the fans hounded Vitor Pereira out before he was even given a chance at Goodison Park. I really, really hope that Lampard sends them down. Pereira must be laughing his socks off.

I said at the time that Lampard would be gone by xmas and probably wouldn't last the season. I really don't know why he thinks he's a Premier League manager. Based on what exactly?

When you look at their fixtures coming up, I can't see where the points are going to come from.
Took the job end of January

:wenger::wenger::wenger:

Reality check for those who think that top former player can be good managers, and good managers so early. He's shite and didn't show anything and so is Gerrard.

Reality check for those who think that top former player can be good managers, and good managers so early. He's shite and didn't show anything and so is Gerrard.
If anyone on a United forum looks at Lampard and says to themselves "ah, so great players don't automatically make great managers, I've been wrong all this time" they haven't been paying much attention to what our ex players have been doing since retiring. Keane, G Neville, Solskjaer...

He's also just been appointed manager of Corinthians.

If anyone on a United forum looks at Lampard and says to themselves "ah, so great players don't automatically make great managers, I've been wrong all this time" they haven't been paying much attention to what our ex players have been doing since retiring. Keane, G Neville, Solskjaer...
Who is currently a great manager who had a great career ?
Pep is the only one I can think of.

the game has changed so much that playing football at the highest level is not one of the boxes that need ticking !

the game has changed so much that playing football at the highest level is not one of the boxes that need ticking !

Zidane for one. Roberto Mancini and Luis Enrique both had very good playing careers, Carlo Ancelotti, Antonio Conte were massively successful players.

Those are a few that jump off the top of my head.

EDIT: how could I forget Diego Simeone.

His first season with us was decent considering, finished 4th and integrated academy players well. Just defensively there were issues at times.

His ego is answer to second point, will have expected to easily keep Everton up. He still might in fairness. Also wanting to get back to work most probably!

I thought he was good...

Until I saw what Tuchel did with the same squad.

I think Benitez needs to shoulder majority of the blame if they do go down. Not that he will, of course.

Not really. He is a crap manager to be fair but he inherited a squad full of holes and then due to the terrible financial mismanagement of his predecessors was given 50p and a bag of wotsits to try and sign new players in the summer. Rafa did not help things but Everton were deep in the shit without him and it is still on the idiotic board and to some extent the fans for demanding a shiny big name like Lampard instead of a proven shithouse manager who could drag them to safety.

Dont think anybody generally thought they’d go down but 5 losses in 6 and a crazy fixture list has left them in a relegation scrap.

Lampard wasn’t getting a much bigger job than Everton was he it’s a big club

Tough situation for him. I hope he finds his way out of the mess he's walked into.

Sacking him and bringing in Big Sam would guarantee them stopping up. Big Sam could get about 8 point out of this lot and that might be enough.

It'll be really weird seeing Everton in the championship... But I'm sure I'll get over it.

Great player, dont think theres a very good manager in there, though

Maybe with a few more years learning the trade yes, but right now, wrong choice for Everton

Diego Simeone had a decent career. But yeh, im struggling to think of a manager now at top level, who was a terrific player. Ancelotti perhaps.

Poch was an ok CB, not top level, but admittedly i dont consider him elite level coach either

Conte had a decent career with Juve. I guess it depends on how you would classify a top manager.

I hope Fwank doesn't get all doom and gloom like he did at Chelsea. He can keep Everton up but he needs to keep things positive.

Ancelotti, Diego Simeone, Conte, Zidane, and Mancini.

Great player, dont think theres a very good manager in there, though

It's a weird one. He's highly intelligent and I'd expected him to do well as a manager as a result, but then you see Rooney at Derby doing great without two brain cells to rub together. Perhaps there really isn't much of a correlation between intelligence and managerial performance.

He's also just been appointed manager of Corinthians.
Tougher job than Everton in my opinion: a club with more than 30 million fans, a very aged squad that lacks pace and a fan-base thinking they can challenge for top 3.
Anyone who manages Corintihians will be under immense pressure from all sides.

It's a weird one. He's highly intelligent and I'd expected him to do well as a manager as a result, but then you see Rooney at Derby doing great without two brain cells to rub together. Perhaps there really isn't much of a correlation between intelligence and managerial performance.

Or, you know, making a formal assessment of anyone’s intelligence based on assorted post-match interview footage is ridiculous. By all accounts Rooney is a thoughtful bloke. Have you read any of his pieces he’s written in the press? I’ve never seen anything as coherent produced by Fwank, that’s for sure.