Gaming Football Manager 2025

Tbh, and i'm no programmer, but I think this would be really easy to fix so don't think it would be that.

Might be a mess though. They're presumably having to operate with at least three databases (male players, women's players, non-players).

If they've got something that's allowing crossover where it shouldn't, unpicking it might not necessarily be simple.

All speculation of course.

Might be a mess though. They're presumably having to operate with at least three databases (male players, women's players, non-players).

If they've got something that's allowing crossover where it shouldn't, unpicking it might not necessarily be simple.

All speculation of course.

I'd assume it's just one big database, and each item has a set of variables (i.e gender) which allows them code in specific actions. I don't really know how it works though.

I'd assume it's just one big database, and each item has a set of variables (i.e gender) which allows them code in specific actions. I don't really know how it works though.

I was speculating anyway so don't want to spend too much time debating it, I was basically thinking of a reason why they'd just outright remove it as an option. It's never been that fleshed out anyway, so having something unfixable (in the time frame) and as obviously daft as calling up men for the women's international sides is about the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

The international football side of it has always been odd. I'm fairly sure even FM24 needs a fix to have German/Dutch players actually called up for their national teams and not just a bunch of fake ones, and this has been a thing dating right back to the first FM games.

They've also basically never had to worry about a 'gender' variable before, as it's only ever been relevant to non-players. Given they'd now need a second set of equivalent national teams to incorporate both the men's and women's games, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something's broken. They can probably still simulate international football in the same way they simulate the leagues you haven't set as playable.

I was speculating anyway so don't want to spend too much time debating it, I was basically thinking of a reason why they'd just outright remove it as an option. It's never been that fleshed out anyway, so having something unfixable (in the time frame) and as obviously daft as calling up men for the women's international sides is about the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

The international football side of it has always been odd. I'm fairly sure even FM24 needs a fix to have German/Dutch players actually called up for their national teams and not just a bunch of fake ones, and this has been a thing dating right back to the first FM games.

They've also basically never had to worry about a 'gender' variable before, as it's only ever been relevant to non-players. Given they'd now need a second set of equivalent national teams to incorporate both the men's and women's games, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something's broken. They can probably still simulate international football in the same way they simulate the leagues you haven't set as playable.

The German/Dutch players thing is a license issue, that's intentional and a custom fix for that has always been available, same for the real team names etc.

The German/Dutch players thing is a license issue, that's intentional and a custom fix for that has always been available, same for the real team names etc.

I know that. My point is that they've had to put something in place to block actual players being called up (unless a fix is applied), so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the move to a new engine and the addition of the women's game has thrown a spanner in the works.

It must be fundamentally broken as a playable mode, otherwise they'd have kept it in.

I remember the good old days when you had to enter the current international manager’s name as your player name in order to manage those teams.

eh, people have been complaining that there's only been minor updates year on year. they finally make a big change in the engine and people are now complaining even more.

it's fairly obvious that this change was going to take a lot more time and effort to get right, hence the need to strip back on some aspects of the game that arguably aren't particularly necessary. if it means laying the groundwork for what will be a better version of the game than the previous engine in the years to come, then ultimately it's all worth it. i imagine with the international game, they'll bring it back once it's actually improved enough that people actually want to play it (let's be honest it's rubbish in the current version of the game)

I know that. My point is that they've had to put something in place to block actual players being called up (unless a fix is applied), so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the move to a new engine and the addition of the women's game has thrown a spanner in the works.

It must be fundamentally broken as a playable mode, otherwise they'd have kept it in.
It sounds like they need the extra time to get the whole game in a playable state. Which is bonkers three months from release. They should be firmly in bugfixing and goldplating territory now.

Also the gender thing is surely just a new field in a player object (they've already added it for staff in the past). It really shouldn't be hard to do unless their existing code is awful (which I won't rule out).

eh, people have been complaining that there's only been minor updates year on year. they finally make a big change in the engine and people are now complaining even more.

it's fairly obvious that this change was going to take a lot more time and effort to get right, hence the need to strip back on some aspects of the game that arguably aren't particularly necessary. if it means laying the groundwork for what will be a better version of the game than the previous engine in the years to come, then ultimately it's all worth it. i imagine with the international game, they'll bring it back once it's actually improved enough that people actually want to play it (let's be honest it's rubbish in the current version of the game)

They literally sold FM 24 as "we've not really done much here because all the big excellent changes are coming to the next one."

Since then, all they've really announced for FM 25 is that it now looks like you're playing on a phone, you can't do mid-match "shouts" and you can't manage international teams.

Of course people are complaining. They didn't discount FM 24, despite pretty much admitting it was a reskin of FM 23, and after using FM 25 as the excuse for not doing much to FM 24, they're now effectively announcing that the next couple of months are going to be spent getting the game into a playable state.

It sounds like they need the extra time to get the whole game in a playable state. Which is bonkers three months from release. They should be firmly in bugfixing and goldplating territory now.

Also the gender thing is surely just a new field in a player object (they've already added it for staff in the past). It really shouldn't be hard to do unless their existing code is awful (which I won't rule out).

You'd think the gender thing would be simple, but I can remember playing the beta for FM 22 and they'd managed to break substitutions. I've just checked my SI forums account, and it was this:
  • I selected Sancho to be subbed off for Elanga. Before the sub could happen, Shaw was sent off, which forced the tactics screen up and had undone the Sancho/Elanga substituion.
  • I tried to sub Ronaldo off for Dalot, and move Dalot to left-back.
  • The changes were confirmed, and the tactics screen and in-game bench UI showed Ronaldo off for Dalot, except Ronaldo was playing left-back and no one was up front.
  • I tried to repeat the change, except it was now showing me as bringing on two players, both of which were Diogo Dalot.
  • I made another change later on, and once again it showed Dalot alongside the player actually being brought on.
  • This counted as me making five substitutions, despite only managing to make two.
Turns out I'd also reported an issue with scout reports, and this wasn't fixed until after release. The issue there was the initial scout rating remaining on the "overview" page, even after further scouting had changed it.

If they can break aspects of the game/UI that were fine and not remotely new features, they can definitely feck up adding an entirely new set of players, teams and competitions to run in parallel with the existing database.

As I said, I'm speculating on what the issue is, but it seems obvious that they've fundamentally broken international management, and the biggest new "feature" is women's football. It's also clear that they haven't got the time to fix it while they try and sort out the myriad of other issues they seem to be having. It's not looking good.

Wait, is international management gone forever or just FM25? edit: it'll be back for FM26 :lol:

It's a fecking joke if it is, literally ruins the game for people who build nations. This game pretty much died for me after FM21 and I won't be getting the next installment at all.

This feels like when konami kept promising changes but ended up destroying PES to the sorry state it's been for the last 10-15 years.

Last edited:
And Miles is like '"btw guys I cancelled two holidays".

This is actually hilarious :lol: He sounds like a child
I’ve also cancelled a trip to America which I was really looking forward to but the game, and you as the players of our games, are the bigger picture.

Yeah, don't seeing it being the reason for the international management removal. They'd already have something in place to stop players being signed to men's/women's teams.

Wait, is international management gone forever or just FM25? edit: it'll be back for FM26 :lol:

It's a fecking joke if it is, literally ruins the game for people who build nations. This game pretty much died for me after FM21 and I won't be getting the next installment at all.
Calm down Caesar

They do this with every release though. It's almost become their mandate.

Buy the current edition. Notice a myriad of bugs or issues.
SI replies with: "Buy our next edition, we fixed the bugs there".
As said bug stays in game for the next 5 iterations.

FM is charged at a price close or sometimes equal to that of AAA games for what is essentially a database Sim with graphics from the year 2000. It's pathetic they can't even ensure the QA is done properly.

The whole point of FM24 was that it was a game that was barely updated from FM23 because they were focusing on FM25 and promising a brand new game better than before.

Since then it's just looked even more stripped back than FM23 and FM24.

It's a long line of broken promises from this company and the narcissist Miles.

It's mega disappointing because FM has become the lesser of evils since PES went to shit and FIFA became the UT cash grab so career mode is useless.

I would honestly prefer if they just put out a quality data update with some minor refinements to FM24 and offer it at a reduced price (say £20-25) than release a full game which is going to be unfinished.

Tried FM24 not long back and it really just wants all your time, 7 billion things to do, choosing tea ladies uniforms, what tyres the team bus has, ain't nobody got time for that.

I preferred the simpler times.

This has all the signs of a huge flop. Obviously the usual drones will buy it but:

- All announcements so far tempering expectations.
- Removal of features only real thing said so far.
- Release date pushed back.
- Gameplay reveal pushed back.
- Giant man-child still in charge.

Also hilarious that he’s said only 5% of players play International so he’s removing it, and in the same post talks about how hard they’re working on the women’s game. What’s the percentage going to be like for that?

Tried FM24 not long back and it really just wants all your time, 7 billion things to do, choosing tea ladies uniforms, what tyres the team bus has, ain't nobody got time for that.

I preferred the simpler times.

I think you're playing a different game buddy.

This has all the signs of a huge flop. Obviously the usual drones will buy it but:

- All announcements so far tempering expectations.
- Removal of features only real thing said so far.
- Release date pushed back.
- Gameplay reveal pushed back.
- Giant man-child still in charge.

Also hilarious that he’s said only 5% of players play International so he’s removing it, and in the same post talks about how hard they’re working on the women’s game. What’s the percentage going to be like for that?
You will get youtubers and hipsters playing it but yeah, aside from doing one save in it I doubt I will play it any further than that.

Miles the massive wanker said:
In recent weeks, I have also taken steps to free up more of my time to focus solely on development and supporting the wider team. One of our core studio values is Consider the Bigger Picture, and what’s most important right now is focusing on FM25.

I mentioned in June that I’d be speaking at the Unite conference in Barcelona as part of the keynote. While we will still have an FM presence there, I will not be making the trip because I need to concentrate all my efforts on directing FM25. It’s for this reason that I will also not be attending Tokyo Game Show, an event I loved last year and really helped make our first-ever release in Japan a big success.

I’ve also cancelled a trip to America which I was really looking forward to but the game, and you as the players of our games, are the bigger picture.
Wouldn't look out of place at all in that Jake Humphrey/LinkedIn thread.

FM won't get much better until Miles leaves/is fired.

I was hoping to get this version, but now I'm put off a little bit. I've not had a version for years now, and wanted to get last year's but they announced it was stripped down so avoided it and now this is looking similar.

I was hoping to get this version, but now I'm put off a little bit. I've not had a version for years now, and wanted to get last year's but they announced it was stripped down so avoided it and now this is looking similar.

FM 24 wasn't really stripped down, they just didn't do much to differentiate it from FM 23.

I think FM 24 is free with Epic Games this week, so worth a punt if you want a newer version.

What I don’t really understand is how this rebuild works. Like, isn’t it just a glorified spreadsheet at the end of the day?

Surely all they are doing is updating the match engine? I’m one of those that could really give a toss about the match engine - 2D classic view all the way.

What I don’t really understand is how this rebuild works. Like, isn’t it just a glorified spreadsheet at the end of the day?

Surely all they are doing is updating the match engine? I’m one of those that could really give a toss about the match engine - 2D classic view all the way.
I think the match engine was mainly graphical. It was already one of the better things about FM24.

Currently it seems like the main thing they've worked on/struggled with is the UI change :lol:

They've said they're moving over to Unity.

They've not said anything about only moving part of the game over, so it seems likely that they've had to essentially re-code the entire game from scratch, because even if it was in the same language, it's not necessarily just a copy and paste job, even if they could re-use large chunks of existing code.

I had played FM/Championship manager since Championship manager England. Removing the National team/create a club and introducing women football feels as deflating as when we sold prime Ronaldo and we bought Valencia to replace him. Then they moved the deadline as well. If they keep with the pace we'll be playing FM30 in 2033

Last edited:
I'd consider playing as manager of the women's teams but until I see exactly how it's set up I can't say. Would be very doubtful it would be set up in such a way that I'd enjoy it.

I like lower league management and fighting up through the divisions, never playing in countries with just 1 or 2 leagues in the game by default. National League North / South is the best place to start for me as England goes 6 tiers deep without custom databases. Sometimes like to play in the countries with 4 divisions too. I can't see them putting any more than top divisions, perhaps the odd 2nd tier in there for women's football but they could surprise me.

Wonder how they handle finances too? United women, Chelsea women etc. are kind of at the whim of the umbrella club as a whole in the real world, depending on them to set your budgets, depending on them to decide if a match is going to be played at Old Trafford or Leigh Sports Village etc. Having control of the finances is a huge part of FM, growing them as you move up the leagues, enabling you to sign better and better players, dealing in the transfer market. Women's club have a lot less control in reality.

If somehow they did put them in there, how would managing a small women's club without a big men's affiliate deal with having to go up against all that within the FM world?

Last edited:
I think the match engine was mainly graphical. It was already one of the better things about FM24.

Currently it seems like the main thing they've worked on/struggled with is the UI change :lol:
A UI change which is like the Mobile version too.

I'd consider playing as manager of the women's teams but until I see exactly how it's set up I can't say. Would be very doubtful it would be set up in such a way that I'd enjoy it.

I like lower league management and fighting up through the divisions, never playing in countries with just 1 or 2 leagues in the game by default. National League North / South is the best place to start for me as England goes 6 tiers deep without custom databases. Sometimes like to play in the countries with 4 divisions too. I can't see them putting any more than top divisions, perhaps the odd 2nd tier in there for women's football.

Wonder how they handle finances too? United women, Chelsea women etc. are kind of at the whim of the umbrella club as a whole in the real world, depending on them to set your budgets, depending on them to decide if a match is going to be played at Old Trafford or Leigh Sports Village etc. Having control of the finances is a huge part of FM, growing them as you move up the leagues, enabling you to sign better and better players, dealing in the transfer market. Women's club have a lot less control in the real world.

If somehow they did put them in there, how would managing a small women's club without a big men's affiliate deal with having to go up against all that within the FM world?

I tend to start and end the game with Manchester United. I use the create a club mod to get rid of the players I don't like and then I always manage a national team. The new game basically ruined my gameplan.

You don't but Miles is a big narcissistic prick.
His Wikipedia article (?) is a slightly strange read. I wonder how much of it he wrote himself.

Also surprised to see he was given an OBE in 2011 (??).

FM 24 wasn't really stripped down, they just didn't do much to differentiate it from FM 23.

I think FM 24 is free with Epic Games this week, so worth a punt if you want a newer version.
I'm planning on doing this. I've not tried one since FM 2007 so it's gonna be a shock to the system!

His Wikipedia article (?) is a slightly strange read. I wonder how much of it he wrote himself.

His childhood ambition was to become a singer, and he spent more time on music than education when at school, singing or playing at the Royal Opera House, Royal Albert Hall, Royal Festival Hall, the Barbican and St Martin-in-the-Fields during this time, and appeared in Carmen alongside José Carreras.[3] However his singing ability was affected by the voice change during puberty.

ffs :lol:

I tend to start and end the game with Manchester United. I use the create a club mod to get rid of the players I don't like and then I always manage a national team. The new game basically ruined my gameplan.

Yes, it's crap for those who like international management.

I usually dabble at some point, if I grow my non-league team into a good club the international job offers start coming in and I'll take one on, playing club and international at the same time. I do get bored of doing both together and tend to quit the inernational scene after 1 or 2 tournaments but still try it often.

Are you going to still buy the new one with no international management or not?