Gaming FIFA 18 Ultimate Team

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/?showoffId=jxfzh5SbC3Q:FFA18XBO

My team so far. Happy enough considering no real stand outs. Tweaked custom tactics and squad is balanced now, subs wise too. Got Vardy the bench for cheap, so might try him next to Sturridge (who I find fairly well balanced) as Morata is hit and miss really. Swap Lallana with Herrera from time to time. Rose and Clyne get subbed a bit with managing fitness. Alonso is good option, Moses alright too but I’d like to improve him at some point.

Once the weekend is over, I should have enough for special Ashley Young for LWB. Making coins from the catalogue boosts, and should land around gold 1 in squad battles for a few extra coins
Buy Aurier, he's an absolute tank and has a great cross on him too, he's relatively cheap too.

Got IF Young for 26k. Not too shabby judging by the market. Has sentinel chemistry, might change it but it will do for now

I picked up young for around 26k too, he replaced danny rose at LB and so far he is doing a great job.

Is Toni Kroos the best Free kick taker in the game? I think i scored 4 out of 5 with him so far, distance 20-25 yards. Anyone know other excellent free kick takers to try out?

Most of my free kick goals ive scored with Neymar, Pogba is great on free kicks too

I picked up young for around 26k too, he replaced danny rose at LB and so far he is doing a great job.

Likewise! Replacing Rose as my starter.

Buy Aurier, he's an absolute tank and has a great cross on him too, he's relatively cheap too.

Nice, I was looking at him before to upgrade on 2nd choice Moses but hadn’t looked into if he was worth a punt, and swap with Clyne then when needed as first choice. WBs do a lot of work for me :D

Is Toni Kroos the best Free kick taker in the game? I think i scored 4 out of 5 with him so far, distance 20-25 yards. Anyone know other excellent free kick takers to try out?
I don't come anywhere close to scoring free kicks they're basically a waste of time for me. Any tips?

Currently 8-3. Best start I had in a long while. How’s you all getting on?

Perisic’s first game and first of WL, 2 goals, 2 assists 4-0 40 min quit out. :drool:

Ridiculous pack luck from SBC's. Packed Pogba and Martial.

Also packed multiple Baillys 60k Varanes 50k, OTW Yaramelenko, 120k Kante 230k, etc and a few IFs that sold for 70-100k.

Are you a new player?
How are you picking up some top tier players from packs?
How much packs have you opened so far?

I see a lot of discussion about chemistry styles on here, tbh I never use them at all. What are the recommended?

GK, CB's, CDM, CAM, Wingers and Strikers please as I see Anchor is recommended for full backs

Hunter for strikers and shadow for defenders is most common.

Started off with 7 straight wins today. Soon change tomorrow I think :lol:

I don't come anywhere close to scoring free kicks they're basically a waste of time for me. Any tips?

Not really any trick to be honest, i just practiced it a bit to get a feel for the power bar and direction. Just give it a little spin with the left stick and aim for the corner. Once you get it on target, you have a good chance it goes in, unless the keeper pulls out a good save. Sometimes i use L1 and shooting if the wall leaves the far corner open and try to smash it in. If it isnt too far away you can also try with 2 or 3 men and make a simple pass to the player waiting for the ball and then shoot directly on target, worked a few times against me.

Tried Ashley Young IF today. Great, he's not the best defensively but his crosses are lethal.

Tried Ashley Young IF today. Great, he's not the best defensively but his crosses are lethal.

Fact! Played a few games there, crossing is unreal. I play 5-3-2 wingbacks, with my 2 CMs not going forward when attacking, so not too bothered with my wingbacks defending too much

I won’t win much as I’m a little bit open there, but it’s fun

Last edited:

Might have to try him out, was experimenting a little earlier on with the 5212 and he could fit into that quite nicely. Seems to be going for a a modest 20k, which is worth a punt. What formation did you play him in?

Yeah he's great, I managed to pack pull him and he's playing LWB very well for me, He's scored 3 in 7 which isn't bad considering he's playing as a defender.

Are you a new player?
How are you picking up some top tier players from packs?
How much packs have you opened so far?

Nope, club est since 2013, pack luck is random, got feck all last year, I've done all the SBC's, bar the POTM, Icon's special players etc and won the draft a few times. Plus WL rewards and about €30 spent on points since I got the game.

Might have to try him out, was experimenting a little earlier on with the 5212 and he could fit into that quite nicely. Seems to be going for a a modest 20k, which is worth a punt. What formation did you play him in?

Switched him to LB and played him in 4-1-2-1-2 (2). Also threw a Sentinel chemistry on him to boost his defense and physical status. The only problem in this will be the counters from his side so I have to consider when I push forward with him wisely, but once he threw a cross and with a player with good heading status it's 99% a goal.

In 5 in the back I think he can be even better with defender covering his side, but I myself can't play except with normal 4 defenders formations.

Fricking finally! Scored an El Tornado in FUT Champs with Griezmann, hattrick goal and all. Defending like a beast today, getting matched up with quality players and not giving them a sniff. I'll forget how to defend tomorrow. Always happens.

This week i’ve stopped being a pussy and started going high press again. Seems to be doing the job. Get the ball back instantly and attack. What tactics is everyone using in weekend league?

Has any of you tried tweaking the customer tactics?

Fricking finally! Scored an El Tornado in FUT Champs with Griezmann, hattrick goal and all. Defending like a beast today, getting matched up with quality players and not giving them a sniff. I'll forget how to defend tomorrow. Always happens.

That’s absolute filth!:drool:

This week i’ve stopped being a pussy and started going high press again. Seems to be doing the job. Get the ball back instantly and attack. What tactics is everyone using in weekend league?

Has any of you tried tweaking the customer tactics?
Yeah. Mine are

Speed 45
Passing 30

Passing 75
Crossing 75
Shooting 60

Pressure 60
Aggression 70
Width 30

Sold almost everyone as I always do because Im impatient, but sold them before the big crash for black friday. Kept some in forms/potm investments/untradables or generally cheap players or those that I probably wont lose too much. Cheaper in forms a good bet for that. Left with:

Fahrmann, Sif Kimmich, if ginter, manolas, if young, goretzka, khedira, red if mooy, gomez, rashford (untradable), if icardi

Subs: if ghoulam, if adan, if aritz elustondo, de marcos, zome bronzes

Trade pile: if fellaini, if otamendi (2), sane

Have 1.38mil in coins to invest in others (total worth probably around 1.8m). Played only a few games and generally wont have too much time but 4312 feels awful since the patch. Feels like the game changed a decent amount so will have to play around with formations and see what I like. Probably not 4312 anymore which means probably not a serie A side. Though maybe a 4231 or try something with 3 at the back.

Sold almost everyone as I always do because Im impatient, but sold them before the big crash for black friday. Kept some in forms/potm investments/untradables or generally cheap players or those that I probably wont lose too much. Cheaper in forms a good bet for that. Left with:

Fahrmann, Sif Kimmich, if ginter, manolas, if young, goretzka, khedira, red if mooy, gomez, rashford (untradable), if icardi

Subs: if ghoulam, if adan, if aritz elustondo, de marcos, zome bronzes

Trade pile: if fellaini, if otamendi (2), sane

Have 1.38mil in coins to invest in others (total worth probably around 1.8m). Played only a few games and generally wont have too much time but 4312 feels awful since the patch. Feels like the game changed a decent amount so will have to play around with formations and see what I like. Probably not 4312 anymore which means probably not a serie A side. Though maybe a 4231 or try something with 3 at the back.
I also play with 4-3 1 2 and it's definitely a lot worse since the patch.

Completed the Schmeichel SBC. It's my first top keeper and it already feels like cheating - there's just so many shots that you'd concede with other keepers, it feels wrong:confused:. I think there's going to be loads of him too, him and Rui Costa seem to be the easier Icon SBCs.

Thanks for the tip. I'm admittedly shit (100-50-200) but I'm winning 5 or 6 on the bounce now with IF Young > Scream Crouch.

Think I must be on about 12/13 consecutive games of hitting the post at least once.

15-4 and leaving it tonight. Had a couple games matched up against ridiculous teams with Ronaldo, Overmars etc, and a loss which I literally seemed banned from scoring. Would push for elite but can't see myself playing 21 games tomorrow :lol:

Balls. Didn’t realize their was games on weekends between midnight and 8am. Think I missed a few there. Ah well, gold 1 was my aim this week and I’ll be well within that anyway

Yup! All I play currently
I'm in the same boat but had the week off, winning 4-0 on world class and 2-0 on legendary against the better teams but as soon as it comes to the 70+ rated teams with 50 chem they batter me and there's nothing I can do. The refresh times at the weekend are 12am, 8am and 4pm. If you have the 4 12am games loaded then you have the 8 games to play before 4pm, that's how I did it as it made it more manageable. Good luck though mate, it's such a grind at weekends, don't know how people do weekend league.

Missed a few games earlier in the week, but I've pretty much secured Elite 2 in Squad Battles now. Grinding out an extra 20,000 points just to get Elite 1 is just not going to happen even if it's easily doable with several games to spare. Feck the AI and feck the extra 15k coins I'd make by doing it.

I'm in the same boat but had the week off, winning 4-0 on world class and 2-0 on legendary against the better teams but as soon as it comes to the 70+ rated teams with 50 chem they batter me and there's nothing I can do. The refresh times at the weekend are 12am, 8am and 4pm. If you have the 4 12am games loaded then you have the 8 games to play before 4pm, that's how I did it as it made it more manageable. Good luck though mate, it's such a grind at weekends, don't know how people do weekend league.

Cheers man! Ya feck feck that, don’t know how people do it. I’ll just stick to squad battles and eventually do squad battle challenges when I gain enough coins to finish some of them.

I’ve only worked up to world class today! Rusty as hell as I didn’t play UT in any form last year. Had a similar experience to a shit low chem team today, had to bring on my loan card of fat ron to score a winner with effectively the last kick :nervous:

Now to work out how to fit in my last few games before midnight, with my better half next to me on the couch.....challenge accepted.

Completed the Schmeichel SBC. It's my first top keeper and it already feels like cheating - there's just so many shots that you'd concede with other keepers, it feels wrong:confused:. I think there's going to be loads of him too, him and Rui Costa seem to be the easier Icon SBCs.
While I like the idea of having a goalkeeper like that who you can put in any squad on full chem, surely it isn't worth the cost? It's crazy expensive for a player you don't even control.

@Macern fancy making me a hybrid from this.

DDG
Bellerin Bailly Koscielny Alonso
Bakayoko Alli
Eriksen
Mhki Jesus Martial

Navas
Semedo Umtiti Laporte Alba
Modric Isco
Asensio
Dembele IF Bakambu Carrasco

I'll sell the ones I don't need and just make 1 team I think cause it doesn't seem like squad fitness cards will go up and I've got hundreds of them.

Got 60k in the bank plus what I make from selling the players I don't use to add better players if needed.

While I like the idea of having a goalkeeper like that who you can put in any squad on full chem, surely it isn't worth the cost? It's crazy expensive for a player you don't even control.
Yeah, I enjoy doing SBCs and I thought it'd be a position I wouldn't need to worry about for the rest of the game. I only realised after that his requirements are basically the same as Rui Costa:lol: I got him a bit cheaper because of the scream boosts but I think i was just fixated on getting an icon.

I think half my team is untradeable

Time to upgrade to a main striker. Currently have Sturridge and Morata who done me well, but are still a bit clumsy and not really top of the tree. Premier league team. Eyeing up Kane or Zlatan. Anyone played with either that can shed light on their experience of who is better?

I do cross a bit, but also custom tactics set for strikers to run in behind when they can.

Squad battles are brilliant.

Absolutely battered a team 8-0 on legendary, think it had 70 Chemistry. Soon as I see the chem low and team rating below 83 straight to legendary, any 100 chem teams play on world class.