Fantasy Premier League 22/23

Just interesting to look at bookies. Don't get me wrong usually good FPL managers beat the bookies odds by smart pick and the bookies can be horribly wrong like with United last year when they always expected us to perform like a top 6 defensive side.

For clean sheet chances in first 2 games we have the following ranking for most likely sides.

1 Man City
2 Liverpool
3 Man United
4 Arsenal
5 Chelsea
6 Villa
7 Newcastle
8 Spurs
9 Wolves

This is just the first 2 weeks and if you move further forward Arsenal picks are even better.

I think Chelsea are probably a side to bet against since I think they overrate them as clear favorites vs Spurs due to playing at home. Spurs also underestimated as well.
Still James and Chilwell are so attacking that I want one of them.

Personally it is between Dalot and Zinchencho right now. I trust Arsenal more than us in the long run, but no doubt our first two games are good.
Interesting that! My gut just tells me that Palace away will be a tough match to keep a clean sheet in, I also fancy Leicester to grab a goal in GW2 (Vardy loves games against the big guns doesn't he?!).
Totally agree on Spurs. All 4 opening games are winnable and they are playing Chelsea away at the perfect time tbh.

Also, bookies having Villa at 6th need to have a look at their defensive set-up last season...crazy IMO!

Yeah, you cant have much qualms about your side. It's a solid set up.

I on the other hand am going nuts with Darwin shoehorned into my side :lol: I have so many iterations but my latest:

Raya

Trent
Cancelo
White
Dalot

Salah
Rashford
Grealish

Jesus
Kane
Darwin

^ I am the only nutter doing this :lol: I know that realistically Darwin will be a donkey for the first few games. But I think Fulham (A) as a first fixture can get him confident early on. If I moved him out, I can upgrade Raya to Ederson and I can upgrade White to James. So RATIONALLY I should make those moves. And here I am sitting here like a lemon boning Darwinfecking Nunez on FPL. I'm a mess :lol:

If anyone is outscoring Salah in Liverpool it is Nunez so not crazy.

Just think Diaz make more sense for me in terms of squad structure. If I want to sell him there is lots of players to get.

Also I can easily get a draft when I feel great about all outfield players.

The only flaw in my draft would be Rashford or Martinelli that may not start every game. The rest I feel confident in that they will play a lot.
Interesting that! My gut just tells me that Palace away will be a tough match to keep a clean sheet in, I also fancy Leicester to grab a goal in GW2 (Vardy loves games against the big guns doesn't he?!).
Totally agree on Spurs. All 4 opening games are winnable and they are playing Chelsea away at the perfect time tbh.

Also, bookies having Villa at 6th need to have a look at their defensive set-up last season...crazy IMO!

Yeah Palace in the big games are quite underestimated. I think they are a good side to bet on vs the top sides and Viera has proven to be tactically quite good.

Although they have lost Gallagher and that could be a huge loss. They have not really spent big either unless I missed someone so I think that is why they aren't expected to score much early on.

Ideally I go with a Spurs wingback and De Gea/Ramsdale in goal, but Perisic is not fit I think.

The fact that the bookies think Liverpool will have it easier vs Palace than Fulham is flawed to me just due to home and away.

So apparently they just delete your account if you haven't played for a few years. Cold.

Still working on my team, but I'm surprised to see so many taking a punt on Kane right off the bat. He's a notoriously slow starter.

Ederson
TAA Cancelo Dalot Tomiyasu
Salah Sancho Bailey
Haaland Nunez Jesus

Ederson
TAA Cancelo Robertson James Dalot
Salah Sancho Bailey
Haaland Jesus

A or B? I feel like B is slightly better but hate having just Haaland and Jesus up front, as it's the most common by far.

A easier question, Tomiyasu & Nunez or Robertson & James?

So apparently they just delete your account if you haven't played for a few years. Cold.

Still working on my team, but I'm surprised to see so many taking a punt on Kane right off the bat. He's a notoriously slow starter.
He has looked good in preseason.

Ederson
TAA Cancelo Dalot Tomiyasu
Salah Sancho Bailey
Haaland Nunez Jesus

Ederson
TAA Cancelo Robertson James Dalot
Salah Sancho Bailey
Haaland Jesus

A or B? I feel like B is slightly better but hate having just Haaland and Jesus up front, as it's the most common by far.

A easier question, Tomiyasu & Nunez or Robertson & James?
Robertson and James. You could also go Diaz over Nunez and see if there is a 5.5 defender or two 5.0 defenders you like.

I am worse than Ranieri at tinkering. Did a bit more at Lunch. Going down the 433 route.

Allison, Forster

Dalot, James, TAA, Cancelo, N. Williams
Diaz, Sancho, Neto, Andreas, Murphy
Jesus, Haaland, Kane

This is an absolute myth. Ignoring last season due to the city talk, look back at his stats... This isn't true at all.

I am worse than Ranieri at tinkering. Did a bit more at Lunch. Going down the 433 route.

Allison, Forster

Dalot, James, TAA, Cancelo, N. Williams
Diaz, Sancho, Neto, Andreas, Murphy
Jesus, Haaland, Kane
Do you money in the bank? In the off chance you want to get to Salah, you might need 2-3 transfers to get to him, especially if you want to switch out Neto or Andreas for Salah.

Do you money in the bank? In the off chance you want to get to Salah, you might need 2-3 transfers to get to him, especially if you want to switch out Neto or Andreas for Salah.

Nah, maxed out.

Was messing about and came up with this either.

Allison, Forster

James, Matip, TAA, Cancelo, Williams
Sancho, KDB, JWP, Neto, Andreas
Kane, Jesus, Greenwood

If I want Salah or KDB, I really do need to drop one of Kane or Haaland.

Yeah that's another issue with No Salah there's no one else at that price point to swap. If he starts firing there's only so long you can live without him and then it's basically an early WC.

I don't have the nerves to watch them take on an attacking Fulham GW1 without him. In fact one of the main reasons for not going threemium for me is not having 3 Liverpool outfield players.

Nah, maxed out.

Was messing about and came up with this either.

Allison, Forster

James, Matip, TAA, Cancelo, Williams
Sancho, KDB, JWP, Neto, Andreas
Kane, Jesus, Greenwood

If I want Salah or KDB, I really do need to drop one of Kane or Haaland.
Son + Haaland is a better combo than KDB + Kane but that’s just my personal opinion. But yes this team looks more balanced.

Son + Haaland is a better combo than KDB + Kane but that’s just my personal opinion. But yes this team looks more balanced.

I agree if Haaland takes pens and become the main man for City.You expect him to score lots of goals.

Son vs Kane is very hard though. I think Son is better for being a mid and getting extra point per goal, but I would not feel confident I picked the right one.

It may be after last season when I had the wrong one every week apart from 1 and I had Kane in his first dry spell. Then had him for the end of the season.
Son I had the period when Kane was insanly good and scored some fantastic goals,

Salah is definitely not essential this year. You just have to make sure you use that extra money right and pick your captains well.

He can’t be essential when another player, in Son, was only a few points off him, is 1 million cheaper, had no penalties and started the season under a terrible defensive coach.

Add to that the fact that Harry Kane was the best attacker in every single metric since January, a better football team has a new number 9 and 200 point defenders are so cheap.

He is absolutely safe and extremely reliable, but he isn’t essential.

Salah is definitely not essential this year. You just have to make sure you use that extra money right and pick your captains well.

He can’t be essential when another player, in Son, was only a few points off him, is 1 million cheaper, had no penalties and started the season under a terrible defensive coach.

Add to that the fact that Harry Kane was the best attacker in every single metric since January, a better football team has a new number 9 and 200 point defenders are so cheap.

He is absolutely safe and extremely reliable, but he isn’t essential.
But.... It's all about EO. Every time he hauls and is captained by every player and his dog... You better hope your alt is doing the same numbers.

But.... It's all about EO. Every time he hauls and is captained by every player and his dog... You better hope your alt is doing the same numbers.

But it works both ways. For example, Kane vs Southampton at home, Haaland vs Bournemouth at home, and then week 3, Salah is away to a, hopefully improved, United. I would prefer Kane at home to Wolves. You could find yourself well ahead of people depend on Salah.

I can see the attraction of Fulham, but I don’t think Salah is the best captain in any of the first three weeks if everyone is fit. And he is 13 million! 0,5 mil can go a long way in first 3GW, nevermind 1.5 mil

You need to be brave, obviously, but there are some great games and Captain choices those first 3-4 weeks. No reason to believe that Salah will seriously outscore any of them.

But it works both ways. For example, Kane vs Southampton at home, Haaland vs Bournemouth at home, and then week 3, Salah is away to a, hopefully improved, United. I would prefer Kane at home to Wolves. You could find yourself well ahead of people depend on Salah.

I can see the attraction of Fulham, but I don’t think Salah is the best captain in any of the first three weeks if everyone is fit. And he is 13 million! 0,5 mil can go a long way in first 3GW, nevermind 1.5 mil

You need to be brave, obviously, but there are some great games and Captain choices those first 3-4 weeks. No reason to believe that Salah will seriously outscore any of them.
I get that. I guess the way I see it is of Salah looks shite... Easy to go to anyone you want.

How much do we think Rashford plays gameweek 1?

At least 60 mins expected needed to justify picking him.

I think Rashford is arguably our first guy to get subbed which worries me.

Yeah, you cant have much qualms about your side. It's a solid set up.

I on the other hand am going nuts with Darwin shoehorned into my side :lol: I have so many iterations but my latest:

Raya

Trent
Cancelo
White
Dalot

Salah
Rashford
Grealish

Jesus
Kane
Darwin

^ I am the only nutter doing this :lol: I know that realistically Darwin will be a donkey for the first few games. But I think Fulham (A) as a first fixture can get him confident early on. If I moved him out, I can upgrade Raya to Ederson and I can upgrade White to James. So RATIONALLY I should make those moves. And here I am sitting here like a lemon boning Darwinfecking Nunez on FPL. I'm a mess :lol:
Nunez is controversial tbf, although why not considering the 4 goal haul against Leipzig. Grealish is brave, but it could turn out very well at £7.0m. Similar to Rashford at £6.5m in a way. The former pick does obviously mean that you miss out on one of the Chelsea £6.0m wingbacks though, which no one seems to be doing. I’m doing that just to be safe, been stung too many times for not following the template!

How much do we think Rashford plays gameweek 1?

At least 60 mins expected needed to justify picking him.

I think Rashford is arguably our first guy to get subbed which worries me.
80 at least, he’s had a very encouraging pre-season and Elanga is currently nowhere near the level of Rashford at his best. Ronaldo is no threat either even if he decides to actually come back to training for the moment too due to how cold he is; same goes for any new signing should we miraculously pull one off in the next week.

Nunez is controversial tbf, although why not considering the 4 goal haul against Leipzig. Grealish is brave, but it could turn out very well at £7.0m. Similar to Rashford at £6.5m in a way. The former pick does obviously mean that you miss out on one of the Chelsea £6.0m wingbacks though, which no one seems to be doing. I’m doing that just to be safe, been stung too many times for not following the template!

I'm less and less worried about the Chelsea wingbacks as the season draws nearer. Shit transfer window, Chilwell being eased back in, poor pre season and James being an FPL troll are turning me off.

80 at least, he’s had a very encouraging pre-season and Elanga is currently nowhere near the level of Rashford at his best. Ronaldo is no threat either even if he decides to actually come back to training for the moment too due to how cold he is; same goes for any new signing should we miraculously pull one off in the next week.

Who else would we sub? We have few strikers so Martial stays on. Sancho more nailed. Bruno probably playing.

We have no options for Fred and Mctominay and I doubt we make defenders subs.

You think we wait to 80th minute to make subs?

Gone for Harry Kane captain, it’s a big risk as I know he doesn’t normally get of to a quick start and he has 3 tough games at the start of the season in Southampton, Chelsea and wolves. Feel like he can bag a few against Southampton though… that Chelsea game will be a tough one but if spurs do get a couple of goals I feel like it will be him who gets them.

Who else would we sub? We have few strikers so Martial stays on. Sancho more nailed. Bruno probably playing.

We have no options for Fred and Mctominay and I doubt we make defenders subs.

You think we wait to 80th minute to make subs?
Ten Hag was infamous for making late subs at Ajax, whether you see that as positive or negative. Also, we really do lack options in attack right now. None of Elanga, Diallo, Pellistri or Garnacho are Premier League level at the moment.

Ten Hag was infamous for making late subs at Ajax, whether you see that as positive or negative. Also, we really do lack options in attack right now. None of Elanga, Diallo, Pellistri or Garnacho are Premier League level at the moment.

Ok if the 59 sub happens I blame you haha, but that likely only happens if he and us play like crap.

Last dilemma for me; AND i am done with team.
Jesus/Grealish vs Martial/Saka.
What do you think?

There's every reason to believe he will outscore them though, his record. It's all good going brave and having other players over him, but if he performs to his full potential with the fixtures, you will be on the back foot right away.

There's every reason to believe he will outscore them though, his record. It's all good going brave and having other players over him, but if he performs to his full potential with the fixtures, you will be on the back foot right away.

Not if Son/Kane/Haaland perform to their full potential. Son was on par last season after a bad start, Kane had the best numbers all round in the second half of the season and Haaland has massive potential.

No reason why they all won’t be in and around his points by seasons end.

It’s a no brainer if they are all the same price, but £1,5 mil is a lot. It potentially upgrades three players. I will obviously waste this, but with the right manager/choices, it could be massive. :lol:

Last edited:

This sounds pretty optimistic though and kinda influenced by the second half of last season. A fresh and rested Salah is a different animal. If I had to bet I'd say Salah could easily be more captained in GW2 as well ahead of Haaland because it's Liverpool at home to Palace and predicting the Liverpool attack/team is far easier than City.

Also no way whatsoever is Kane/Son anywhere near a good captain choice vs Soton as Salah vs Fulham. Great for you if it works out, but there's no rationale behind it.